Does anyone still subscribe to gaming magazines?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

So, about a year after I got done throwing out piles of magazines I accumulated over the years, I'm kinda getting a weird urge to resubscribe to ones like EGM or gameinformer

Problem is, I have no clue if these are even worth subscribing to anymore considering the news is gonna be old. In the past I subscribed to magazines like EGM and PSM because of the writers and they personalities, but all the personalitys are only online these days I think.

Does anyone still subscribe to gaming magazines, or even magazines in general?

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I subscribe to GameInformer...

I honestly have no idea why, I sometimes read the cover stories that usually get covered online anyway.

It's like a Netflix account, I barely use it but it just slips by on my card.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By ravensword

@viciousbearmauling:

Do they even get exclusive reveals anymore? I remember they used to reveal covers and exclusive stories.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I do sub to a Finnish gaming magazine, cause I like most of the writers and some of their special articles. I suppose I also still prefer reading things from a paper instead of digital form, if given the chance.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5 MattyFTM  Moderator

Retro Gamer. I'm not currently subscribed, but I was, and plan to again in a couple of months when I can afford it. It's some of the best coverage of older games that I've ever seen. It's always super interesting and informative, and is always a great read.

These days, magazines that do news/previews/reviews are pretty irrelevant since all that stuff is available online in a much more timely manner. But covering older games means they can provide something different. Whilst obviously that type of coverage can be done on the internet, it is rarely done as frequently or to as high standard as Retro Gamer does, making it totally worthwhile.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to be a loyal EGM man....but it's been a few years. I found myself getting everything i needed to know online and the magazines would get flipped through and that was about it.....I used to get excited the magazine would arrive as I would pore through it and enjoy every page. Now I see little point to a magazine.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

subscribing to or buying gaming magazines is socially irresponsible as is paying for premium content on gaming sites

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I subscribe to the digital version of Reason magazine (http://reason.com/reasontv). The last paper magazine I was a subscriber to was EGM. When it went under the first time that was it for me.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By natetodamax

I was a Game Informer subscriber for several years, but when I realized I was getting up-to-date news every time I looked at my phone it just became obsolete. It's a great magazine, but it's no longer useful to me.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shiro2809

I'm subbed to Game Informer still, I enjoy reading them as I never really go for gaming news unless it's something I'm interested in, so it helps me learn of new games that I could potentially be interested in if I've never heard of it before. I also enjoy reading the letters and all the other non-game coverage related things.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Nope, no thanks. Got the internet.

DannyHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Subscribe, no. I do pick up import copies of Retro Gamer a lot though. It just has tons of great interviews with old game developers I can't get anywhere else. Great graphic design in it too. Also pick up copies of Nail It! because PURTY PICTURES and I suck at coming up with my own designs for nail art so I just bogart theirs. :P

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gone back and forth on subbing to EDGE but I've never really pulled the trigger on it. £40 for 14 issues a year is pretty damn cheap, I just feel I get what I need from the internet though. Saying that I do like some of their long form, semi timeless articles and I usually pick up a copy when I'm in an airport every few months.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a Game Informer subscription, but only because I get it free with the Gamestop rewards program. I'll grab the occasional copy of Retro Gamer or Edge if there are features I'm particularly interested in reading.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@viciousbearmauling:

Do they even get exclusive reveals anymore? I remember they used to reveal covers and exclusive stories.

Rarely, like the reveal of Evolve was exclusive for them, I think.

j0lter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a gameinformer subscription, but that's really only because I buy my games from gamestop and thus getting the powerup card is worth it.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never subscribed to a magazine. I didn't have money when I was a kid and now I have the internet. I'm not interested in most of what is happening in the industry anyway.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to love EGM, but after their closure then return I didn't care for the tone of it anymore. I read it at that point for articles and interviews since game reviews and previews I got online, and found myself largely disagreeing with their editorials, and not caring about who they interviewed, so stopped subscribing and haven't subbed to a magazine since. Though I suppose my sub to giantbomb is similar.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get sent GameInformer every month. I don't think I ask anybody to send it to me. I like it just fine though.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think about getting online subs sometimes.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I get the digital version of GameInformer, but I always forget to read it.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't subbed to a magazine in years. The internet just does everything they did but better. I remember back in the day a big draw for me to subscribe to magazines was the almighty "demo disc" .. haha. A relic of a time gone by.

NinjaBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once a month I get an email that tells me my digital GameInformer is available. But it could be a lie, i promptly delete it every time because.... well GameInformer.