Does Donut County deserve a spot on the top ten?

rgdraconic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Poll Does Donut County deserve a spot on the top ten? (89 votes)

Yes 37%
No 31%
I don't know 16%
I played it and I'm still not sure 7%
I played it and absolutely! 9%

So Donut County is.. a reverse Katamari. But to see it on so many of the staff's top ten makes me really wonder, because I played it myself, and it didn't register. You could say it's a message to extraneous living, but why it ranked high on all of their lists, I don't know. So what do you think? Am I not seeing the bigger picture?

• 
MStankow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

It is better than Red Dead 2 so yes.

rgdraconic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This poll seems like an extreme way of saying you disagree with people's Top Ten lists.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

People have different opinions on a game than you do! Crazy!

To me, Donut County was a tightly paced experience with a simple yet satisfying mechanic that was joined with fantastic writing that manages to be both funny and endearing and a legitimately amazing soundtrack. Sounds like a top ten game in my book.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I beat Donut County the other day and I can see why other people liked it, but it didn’t do much for me at all. My 3-year-old liked it in bursts of 1 to 2 minutes every few days, so there’s that.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I'll let the crews' deliberations decide if it deserves to be on their Top 10 list.

rgdraconic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imhungry: it.. no, no it wasn't. if it had katamari soundtracks, sure, but it was just put things in a hole. the game.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a pleasant little game, but it wouldn't go on my list. I finished it in a sitting and a day later had pretty much forgotten about it.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I think a 2 hour game needs to have more punch. It's a chill game that's amusing, clever, cute, and at times funny but I found it to be a bit hipster-y. Like it's cool but not as cool as it think it is 'cause a lot of what makes it cool seems heavily borrowed. Me personally, I wouldn't fight against having it on a top ten but I think it should probably be like #9 or #10. I do think the writing is good and I like the characters and I really like the music 'cause I found it to be relaxing and put me in a good mood everytime.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Efesell

I wouldn't put it on mine but I really dislike the "Is this even a game" crowd.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By clagnaught

Speaking for myself, I really liked Donut County, but with some short experiences, I sometimes have trouble elevating it in a GOTY sense. I have a similar issue with Florence; that game is amazing, but you can beat it in 20 to 30 minutes. If there was a little more meat to it, Donut County could be on my personal Top 10 list. With the story being pretty short and the puzzle / Katamari elements falling below my expectations, my general thought is "Thank you for the story" and leaving it on an honorable mentions list instead.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@efesell said:

I wouldn't put it on mine but I really dislike the "Is this even a game" crowd.

Same.
And as always, the reason for game X or Y ranking high is
thoroughly explained throughout videos and personal top 10s.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup said:

It's a pleasant little game, but it wouldn't go on my list. I finished it in a sitting and a day later had pretty much forgotten about it.

Same feelings for me pretty much, I enjoyed it and I can't think of anything I really disliked about it, but ultimately it was fairly fleeting and left me with a "Okay, that was neat" thought and nothing more.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Lists are entirely subjective. What's on your list has no bearing on another list or commentary on the quality or ability of either list.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@imhungry: it.. no, no it wasn't. if it had katamari soundtracks, sure, but it was just put things in a hole. the game.

Thank you for starting a forum thread asking for opinions and then telling me my opinion is wrong. Much appreciated.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The very first reply to this thread in a really poetic way underscores how arbitrary and nonsensical game ranking can be during GOTY season.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't we at least wait until the list goes up to disagree with it?

Shindiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I found Donut County to be a very good sampling of what could have been a phenomenal game. The charm was laid on beautifully, and it scratched an itch generally untouched by any game that does not have "Katamari" in its title, but the fact that it was over in 2 hours, just as I felt it really hit its pace was too great of a disappointment for me to consider it for my personal Top 10.

rgdraconic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladeofcreation: you're right, i didn't originally make this to kick donut county around, i guess i didn't get it like the staff did. that's all.