This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by psychomantis47 (12 posts) -

ive been watching/ listening to pretty much all of the gb e3 coverage, and damn if it doesnt seem like jeff is sick of this stuff. the very end of giant bomb at nite, night 2, directly addresses this, and i cant help but wonder if this will be jeff's last e3.

#2 Edited by xanadu (1812 posts) -

Would you care to clarify more on exactly what you're talking about instead of making general statements? What did he say specifically?

#3 Posted by BradBrains (2213 posts) -

Yea this seems like a stretch. E3 nights are always full of tiredness and such so I would love to hear the exact quotes you are referring to that make you believe this.

#4 Posted by Ares42 (4015 posts) -

I would say he has probably become more conscious about his future. The site is having it's 10 year anniversary this year, he's past 40 at this point and recently gotten married (and some more depressing stuff has happened). It's just natural to start thinking about permanent solutions for your life as the idea of jumping from job to job and home to home becomes less and less viable. The idea of still participating in the E3 rat race in your 50s and 60s probably doesn't sound very appealing.

#5 Posted by psychomantis47 (12 posts) -

he asked one of the older guys from game informer "how much longer?? (will we be doing this)"

not to mention throughout the coverage he has said stuff like "what am i doing here" "day 34 of e3" ect.

hope hes not leaving, for the record.

#6 Edited by The_Greg (342 posts) -

Jeff has had that level of scepticism for a while. I quite appreciate it. He doesn't cover video game news in a way that is blinded by hype.

Obviously I don't know him personally and I've not been a GB follower since the beginning, so I have no idea what he was like more than about 4 years ago.

#7 Posted by hankrazorbeard (105 posts) -

Is Brad leaving?

#8 Posted by The_Greg (342 posts) -
#9 Posted by jaycrockett (842 posts) -

I didn't catch the moment you are talking about, but I did notice when I clicked on the video it's 6 hours long. And he's hosting the whole time. So maybe that contributes to his weariness?

#10 Posted by glots (3883 posts) -

He's just getting used to the new office.

#11 Posted by FrodoBaggins (1686 posts) -

He must absolutely be thinking about his future as are all of the staff I'm sure. It's a weird one. We've never had this kind of situation before. Does Jeff still see himself in this job at 50? 60? Would people still care about his opinion? I do not follow anything gaming related outside of Giantbomb..... ARE there 50-60 year olds doing this kind of thing?

#12 Edited by Justin258 (15345 posts) -

@psychomantis47 said:

he asked one of the older guys from game informer "how much longer?? (will we be doing this)"

not to mention throughout the coverage he has said stuff like "what am i doing here" "day 34 of e3" ect.

hope hes not leaving, for the record.

Jeff jokes about this stuff all the time. "What am I even doing here?" "Fuck all video games!" etc. Would I be surprised if he sometimes gets weary of what he does? No, I wouldn't be. He's been doing it for a long time. I also don't think he's going anywhere - he's spent too much time and focus building this site into what it is today. And it's still growing, from what I understand. Jeff is jaded and cynical in some ways, but the guy definitely still gets excited enough about games sometimes for me to believe he's still got a lot of interest in this industry.

Also, sitting around and talking for five or six hours takes quite a bit out of you. I know, it's just "sitting and talking", but he's doing it after spending several days working on E3 stuff already. E3 has been the GB crew's life for a couple of days now and it's probably starting to get a little old by this point.

@the_greg said:

@hankrazorbeard: Don't even joke about that.

Curious - how long have you been around the site? "Brad's leaving" has been a running joke for a long time. I haven't seen it in a while, however. I haven't seen a lot of old Giantbomb memes in while.

#13 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3653 posts) -
I have been writing about video games for my entire adult life. It would be insane to stop now.Jeff Gerstmann - Twitter Bio
#15 Posted by The_Greg (342 posts) -

@justin258: I see, haha. Giant Bombcast listener for around 4 years, active forum user for about 6 months. Definitely not something I've seen before. Good to know.

#16 Posted by FlashFlood_29 (4156 posts) -

That's just vets joking about their experience and age.

#17 Posted by KingBonesaw (1229 posts) -

Between Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z Kai, Dragon Ball Super, Dragon Ball GT and all of the movies I'm pretty sure that Jeff (and Dan) will be sticking around in the anime podcast business for some time.

#18 Posted by Master_Funk (789 posts) -

I don't see jeff leaving this industry or GB, but I can eventually see him taking up a full managerial role as more and more younger folks continue to join the site.

#19 Posted by fledeye (223 posts) -

@jesus_phish:

First thing that came to my mind too.

Jeff’s always saying E3 is tiring and after a full day demoing games, talking to developers and walking around LA, he hosts a 5/6 hour long show. It’s got to take its toll, but it’s only a couple of weeks a year, he’ll recover.

#20 Posted by Rejizzle (949 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised if this is Jeff's last E3. We've all seen this coming, and recent features on the site just confirm it. You'd have to be completely blind not to realize it by now.

Jeff Gerstmann is pivoting into anime.

#21 Posted by Coryukin (135 posts) -

Video games and games journalism are still relatively new. If there is a market for what he wants to do and this sort of coverage when he is 60, then why wouldn't he do it? He clearly loves video games. There's nothing wrong with covering games for as long as he wants to. And for those of us who have grown up with games like he has, there will be an audience of 60 year old gamers glad to hear from a 60 year old gamer that grew up with games like he did. This thread is kinda shit. You dont' even provide quotes or anything of the sort, just speculation.

#22 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2905 posts) -

I don't see jeff leaving this industry or GB, but I can eventually see him taking up a full managerial role as more and more younger folks continue to join the site.

This is the most likely outcome. I swear this thread pops up at least every few months. The dude is just tired.

#23 Posted by Jacrispy (11 posts) -

God I hope not, him and his team are really my only source for gaming material. The whole team is amazing!

#24 Edited by TheRealSeaman (133 posts) -

To be fair to Jeff and the crew... they had to sit through three Kingdom Hearts trailers.

Even just one KH trailer is listed as a health risk by the WHO.

#25 Posted by development (3110 posts) -

Jeff lives for the camera, folks. He's not going anywhere.

#26 Posted by ThePanzini (706 posts) -

I thought Jeff was speaking in regard to E3 itself and how long it could continue in its current form.

#27 Posted by Mike (17941 posts) -

These types of purely speculative threads about staff members are never productive or worthwhile. If you have a question like this for someone, reach out to them directly and don't leave it to people on the forums to guess.