Does the online paywall affect your decision to buy both next gen consoles?

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Does the online paywall affect your decision to buy both next gen consoles? (135 votes)

I'll buy both, subscription fee is no big issue to me. 21%
I'll buy both, but use only one at a time for online play. 16%
I planned to buy both, but due to paywall I'll just buy one. 3%
I never planned to buy both anyways. 45%
PC here I come. 17%

Hi Duders,

before knowing more about the details of the upcoming PS4 and X1 I planned to buy both consoles. But as Sony went the way of MS and put multiplayer behind a paywall, I'm not so certain anymore.

So I'm wondering whats your take on this situation?

• 
ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've already got an Xbox Live Gold account that'll be good through 2016, I believe. [jumped on one of those 12 month card deals and bought like 4, so I'm good for a bit]

Doesn't bother me at all, plus it seems like Sony's giving away a decent chunk of stuff with Plus.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Already a PS Plus member and I don't play multiplayer games so this doesn't affect me at all.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm only getting a PS4, but the paid online wouldn't put me off getting both. Hell, I'm currently paying for Plus and Xbox live gold, on a xbox which literally can't get online at the moment.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

I'm already an Xbox Live and PS Plus member.

vg132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Missing an option? I will buy both and not play online. Never play online with my 360 or PS3 today and can't see myself playing online with the new consoles.

/Viktor

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By topsteer

None of those poll options fit me, I'm getting both but don't plan on paying for either service. I very rarely play multiplayer and most of the big multiplayer games will come out on the PC so I could just play it there.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jgf
@topsteer said:

None of those poll options fit me, I'm getting both but don't plan on paying for either service. I very rarely play multiplayer and most of the big multiplayer games will come out on the PC so I could just play it there.

I though about including another option, but somehow the first option fits your case as well. The subscription fees are no issue for you, because you won't pay them anyway.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm only interested in the ps4 but I just won't play online multiplayer, which I hardly ever do to begin with. As long as the store and thorphies remain free I will be just fine

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think Sony getting rid of the free membership definetly prevents me from investing in both if given a good price on the one I don't own. $50 a year can buy a new game, so I'm kinda only looking at owning 1 of them eventually. Which one I buy is still up in the air, I'm not one of these I gotta pre order it now kinda people, these systems gotta prove themselves first.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bluefish

I was never planning on buying both at the outset but it had very little to do with the paywall.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By tourgen

I'm alright paying for a service if you actually get something valuable for it. I don't think my xbox gold membership was worth the money. In game chat on xbox is pointless. you end up muting everyone. 99% of the people aren't worth talking to.

I'll play multiplayer on the PC this time around. My friends and I have a Mumble server for cross-game chat. We also have a few co-lo boxes between all of us we can use for whatever. It all probably adds up to less than everyone having Gold or PS+.

I might still stick with PS+ for the games.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Seppli

Option B for me. Mainstay PS4 - preordered a Day 1 box. Xbox One in a year or two - likely getting it after the first major pricecut.

Not paying for two premium services.

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I have PS+ anyway, the game deals are too good to pass up, so I don't really care.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither seem worth it to me. I don't play multiplayer games and I certainly don't play older games just because they are now free/cheap. If I wanted to play them I would have played them when they came out.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By MEATBALL

I doesn't bother me, I'm already paying for both XBL Gold and PS Plus. Sony have thus far been pretty good about having a special on PS Plus subscriptions every year, too - hopefully that keeps up. I also buy 12 month Gold subscription cards online each year at a good price.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS+ is not a paywall. PS+ is a $5 a month club of "WHY DID I NOT JOIN UP EARLIER GODFUCKINGDAMN LOOK AT ALL THIS SHIT, WHERE MY 5TB DRIVES AT" that's going to continue making backlog-OCD suffering peoples lives hell.

(and no, I'll be getting an Xbone for offline gaming if I see a game worth my time come)

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I'm an adult with a real job. XBox Live and PS+ yearly payments don't mean anything to me. I pay for them both today anyways. I'm annoyed XBox Live is still covered in ads but PS+ is a great deal with all the freeish stuff you get.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm only getting a PS4, but the paid online wouldn't put me off getting both. Hell, I'm currently paying for Plus and Xbox live gold, on a xbox which literally can't get online at the moment.

Why can't you get online with your xbox? I couldn't get online twice this year because:

1st time: I couldn't log into my microsoft account and there was no way for me to reset my password because of their bizarre security (security is good but customer service isn't allowed to help with anything). I couldn't get help for a month.

2nd time: My account was written over by another account that didn't have gold access. Basically both accounts were attached to my email somehow and the anonymous one usurped the one with gold. It took another month to fix.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By joshwent

Greedy Fucking Bastards. Making us pay to use their service. Don't they know on the internet, everything is free?

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no plans of getting X1 anyway. Paywall has nothing to do with it.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22  Edited By Nodima

I'm one of those Playstation boys that has a Plus account for the amazing discounts and Instant Game Collection, so the fact that it now includes online multiplayer doesn't really affect me. As best I can tell that's just a smart way to give more people amazing deals on digital products, at least if my assumption Playstation Plus will remain the best deal in video games on Playstation 4.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum: I have a original design Xbox and I lost the wireless internet thing while moving houses. I couldn't be bothered to buy a new one as I have mostly moved on to PS3 as it has a much larger hard drive than the Xbox, and I think the Xbox is on the verge of breaking down anyway. Yes, I realise I am being really lazy about this.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already pay for PS+ because of the IGC and other discounts, so that makes me lean toward the PS4. Xbox Live is a joke in comparison. Some of the IGC games are oldish, but the free Xbox Live games have been ancient. Seriously, Halo 3, when there are two more recent entries in the series? I also don't play online much, so the other features of Xbox Live don't benefit me much.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum: I have a original design Xbox and I lost the wireless internet thing while moving houses. I couldn't be bothered to buy a new one as I have mostly moved on to PS3 as it has a much larger hard drive than the Xbox, and I think the Xbox is on the verge of breaking down anyway. Yes, I realise I am being really lazy about this.

Hey man, do what you do.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why isn't there an option for... "The pay wall has no effect on whether I do or do not buy any consoles this generation."?

Because that would be my choice.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By MildMolasses

@cameron said:

I already pay for PS+ because of the IGC and other discounts, so that makes me lean toward the PS4. Xbox Live is a joke in comparison. Some of the IGC games are oldish, but the free Xbox Live games have been ancient. Seriously, Halo 3, when there are two more recent entries in the series? I also don't play online much, so the other features of Xbox Live don't benefit me much.

4. They could have given ODST or Reach, which are 4 and 3 years old respectively. Obviously giving Halo 4 is out of the question, and I don't know how excited I would be about the CE remake, but I probably would have taken it

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably end up with both eventually but I'll only pay for the online depending on which console the majority of my friends own.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By crusader8463

It's going to take A LOT of good single player exclusives to make me buy one now. I'm a PC guy and only ever played console games when there was the odd game that did not come out for PC. I might play 2-3 console games a year; if that. I have gone years where my consoles never get turned on. I'm not going to pay a monthly fee to play those games online when I might go 6 months in between playing them. Nor do I want to pay an extra $10-$15 on the already overpriced console games to play the game I just spent $70+ online for a month. Especially when I can get the same game on PC with no fees and it's cheaper by $10-$20.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since I actually have a job PSN+ isn't a problem. At least they don't put Netflix and such behind a paywall.

white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By white_sox

Not really. I've been an XBL Gold member for over 5 years now and I'm fine paying the yearly subscription considering how often I use it. I also recently subscribed to PSN+, which I'm already impressed by.

In the future I may consider getting rid of one of them, but it wouldn't sway my decision to buy either console.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I don't care about a "paywall" (never cared for that term). Obviously it takes away a positive for Sony (but now they need to rise to Microsofts level of online service).

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No .... not getting a Xbone regardless of paywalls or not. PS4 and PC for me , and dont care much for multipleyer so still not a worry for me when I get tthe PS4

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PS+ subscription is good until 2015 so doesn't matter for me right now.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jgf

So it's a no issue to most. Interesting to see, I would have guessed otherwise.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uksamwise: Yeah, app usage being behind the paywall is super bullshit. I shouldn't have to pay microsoft to access netflix's servers. Still, if you buy either a PS4 or XB1, it's probably worth it to purchase their subscription.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a student with no job its a problem, sticking to pc games for the foreseeable future.

i'm not going to pay for xbox live AND psn so ill just buy a ps4 when the time comes.

I would imagine anyone with a steady income gives no craps

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

I already subscribe to PS Plus, but I was planning to wait it out anyways. I might jump in once I accrue enough free PS4 shit.

I'm not yet convinced that Xbox Live will offer me enough as a consumer to justify paying for another online service.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ezekiel

I wasn't going to buy an Xbox anyway. As for the PS4, when I had a PS3 I didn't play online often enough that it would have been worth paying for, but I did have some pretty fun times. It's a bummer. I'll buy one even later now, if I buy one at all. I seldom play multiplayer games on PC (Dark Souls only half counts.), so I won't be paying for PS Plus.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@huey2k2 said:

Why isn't there an option for... "The pay wall has no effect on whether I do or do not buy any consoles this generation."?

Because that would be my choice.

Mine too. I plan to get one of them this generation, and the extra cost of multiplayer is not the reason I forced myself to stick to a single one.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'll probably only play with the subscription while playing Dark Souls 2, other than that I don't really play any multiplayer games.