#1 Edited by Rokkaku (280 posts) -

Well, I guess Giant Bomb has finally hit the big time thanks to Drew's meme phenomenon.

I did a legitimate double take when I saw Drew's face amongst the headlines and, sure enough, an article follows in which a slightly bemused writer outlines Giant Bomb, the origin of the meme ('a Giant Bomb show called Unprofessional Fridays...'), and transcribes a short "interview" with Drew.

This makes his announcement from the 'popular gaming website' all the more poignant and laced with a certain tragic irony - they've finally exploded onto the international media consciousness and their white, blinking poster boy is about to leave. Thus the rise, decline and fall of Giant Bomb.

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/23/meet-the-man-behind-the-white-guy-blinking-meme-drew-scanlon

Avatar image for machofantastico
#2 Posted by MachoFantastico (6678 posts) -

What the heck! And I thought seeing Drew on the front page of Reddit was weird.

#3 Posted by Cheesebob (1315 posts) -
No Caption Provided

Had to.

#4 Posted by forteexe21 (2026 posts) -

Drew going to start his own company taking advantage of his meme popularity like Grumpy Cat. Have a movie, cartoon, comics, a christmas special, guest host WWE Raw, etc.

#5 Posted by cloudymusic (2122 posts) -

Does it call GB "charmingly garrulous"?

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
#6 Posted by alwaysbebombing (2702 posts) -

Going out with a bang

#7 Edited by Y2Ken (2944 posts) -

Still weird to see - at least this writer got the details about the original incident (and everyone's name) correct, unlike some of the earlier stories!

#8 Posted by APDLS (81 posts) -

From Buzzfeed to The Guardian, Drew is moving up in the world.

#9 Edited by Rokkaku (280 posts) -

@cloudymusic: Ha, no, the Guardian does not have the, ahem, classy vocabulary of the New Yorker (if I'm recalling that correctly)

#10 Edited by Mindkiller (102 posts) -

Man, not to be a downer as it's cool Drew is on the Guardian and stuff but I don't get this meme at all.

#11 Posted by chango (1072 posts) -

Wow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
#12 Edited by deactivated-5b85a38d6c493 (1990 posts) -

This is the most accurate article I've seen of this so far.

#13 Posted by Lanechanger (1681 posts) -

@y2ken: They got Gershman wrong D:

#14 Posted by burncoat (558 posts) -

This feels like a great parting gift from Drew. As long as he's still here at Giant Bomb, every interview he does will send some residual traffic here. I don't know if he's intentionally doing it or not, but I would love to know if somebody looked at the numbers to see if his meme magic is having an effect. Google trends show a dramatic uptick for Drew Scanlon and a recent uptick for Giant Bomb, but that's always felt like a rough estimate.

#15 Posted by dafdiego777 (299 posts) -

@burncoat: Jeff mentioned that it's not a material uptick in visits.

#16 Edited by Dray2k (884 posts) -

We're famous now guys!

Meanwhile, the person who made the original tweet that blew up which ultimately lead to this article will never be interviewed, such a shame. At least the person got mentioned, which is a neato touch.

#17 Posted by vdortizo (285 posts) -

@forteexe21 said:

Drew going to start his own company taking advantage of his meme popularity like Grumpy Cat. Have a movie, cartoon, comics, a christmas special, guest host WWE Raw, etc.

I'd watch all of that... and I hate wrestling with a passion.

#18 Posted by ShaggE (9263 posts) -

I can't wait for this year's Thanksgiving Day parade, in which Drew makes a surprise appearance to blink at the crowds in person.

"Oh boy, there goes Snoopy!"

"Everybody loves Snoopy, Al! An American icon!"

"Indeed! And - hold on, is that - it is! Drew Scanlon himself, folks! Of Giant Bomb Dot Com and internet meme fame, it seems as though he's taking a page from Rick Astley!"

"Ahaha! He's giving the crowds his world-famous blink! Wonderful! And, oh - Look out, Drew! Coming up behind Drew Scanlon is what appears to be a Genome Soldier from the Metal Gear Solid franchise!"

"Drew's trying to snap his neck - oh, no, now he's crouching - now he's laying down... he's rolling back and forth... OH, he got 'im! Well done, Drew!"

"And here comes Santa!"

#19 Posted by Atwa (1690 posts) -

The internet was a mistake

#20 Posted by Mathey (1023 posts) -

We made it, guys! We're famous! And, hey, we did it without being assholes.

#21 Edited by WynnDuffy (1289 posts) -

Uh oh, in the 2020 elections someone will be writing an article about how this meme is a white supremacist symbol!

Can you imagine if that actually happened?

Avatar image for machofantastico
#22 Posted by MachoFantastico (6678 posts) -

@shagge said:

I can't wait for this year's Thanksgiving Day parade, in which Drew makes a surprise appearance to blink at the crowds in person.

"Indeed! And - hold on, is that - it is! Drew Scanlon himself, folks! Of Giant Bomb Dot Com and internet meme fame, it seems as though he's taking a page from Rick Astley!"

"Ahaha! He's giving the crowds his world-famous blink! Wonderful! And, oh - Look out, Drew! Coming up behind Drew Scanlon is what appears to be a Genome Soldier from the Metal Gear Solid franchise!"

"Drew's trying to snap his neck - oh, no, now he's crouching - now he's laying down... he's rolling back and forth... OH, he got 'im! Well done, Drew!"

"And here comes Santa!"

I love it!

#23 Posted by dr_monocle (391 posts) -

I'm laughing myself sick over here. This post should live forever.

@shagge said:

"And here comes Santa!"

#24 Posted by Pilgore (315 posts) -
No Caption Provided

I'm laughing myself sick over here. This post should live forever.

@shagge said:

"And here comes Santa!"

#25 Posted by KillEm_Dafoe (2634 posts) -

I wasn't aware that this meme was actually a big deal. Maybe I'm just getting out of touch. Nice to see Drew's finally hit the bigtime, though.

#26 Posted by BFZ (67 posts) -

USA Today has it now as well. What a strange world we live in.

#27 Posted by ripelivejam (13164 posts) -

i'm surprised it appears to be gaining traction, thought it would have faded by this point.

:blink

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#28 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7832 posts) -

Patrick had his Xbox one story, Austin started a brand new website, and now drew becomes a meme sensation.

#29 Posted by ColossalGhost (240 posts) -

Drew "guy blinking" Scanlon now has internet fame rivaling that of Will "amazed by VR" Smith.

#30 Posted by flameboy84 (893 posts) -

Is this meme genuinely bigger than any meme ever? I've never seen a meme warrant it's own article in a mainstream broadsheet newspaper. I always thought there is a show to be made there meme hunters, travelling the world meeting people who have featured in memes and chatting to social media experts about them.