Drew and 'popular gaming website' Giant Bomb on the front page of major UK newspaper The Guardian's website - huh

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rokkaku

Well, I guess Giant Bomb has finally hit the big time thanks to Drew's meme phenomenon.

I did a legitimate double take when I saw Drew's face amongst the headlines and, sure enough, an article follows in which a slightly bemused writer outlines Giant Bomb, the origin of the meme ('a Giant Bomb show called Unprofessional Fridays...'), and transcribes a short "interview" with Drew.

This makes his announcement from the 'popular gaming website' all the more poignant and laced with a certain tragic irony - they've finally exploded onto the international media consciousness and their white, blinking poster boy is about to leave. Thus the rise, decline and fall of Giant Bomb.

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/23/meet-the-man-behind-the-white-guy-blinking-meme-drew-scanlon

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

What the heck! And I thought seeing Drew on the front page of Reddit was weird.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

No Caption Provided

Had to.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew going to start his own company taking advantage of his meme popularity like Grumpy Cat. Have a movie, cartoon, comics, a christmas special, guest host WWE Raw, etc.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Does it call GB "charmingly garrulous"?

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going out with a bang

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Y2Ken

Still weird to see - at least this writer got the details about the original incident (and everyone's name) correct, unlike some of the earlier stories!

APDLS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Buzzfeed to The Guardian, Drew is moving up in the world.

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rokkaku

@cloudymusic: Ha, no, the Guardian does not have the, ahem, classy vocabulary of the New Yorker (if I'm recalling that correctly)

Mindkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mindkiller

Man, not to be a downer as it's cool Drew is on the Guardian and stuff but I don't get this meme at all.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is the most accurate article I've seen of this so far.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@y2ken: They got Gershman wrong D:

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This feels like a great parting gift from Drew. As long as he's still here at Giant Bomb, every interview he does will send some residual traffic here. I don't know if he's intentionally doing it or not, but I would love to know if somebody looked at the numbers to see if his meme magic is having an effect. Google trends show a dramatic uptick for Drew Scanlon and a recent uptick for Giant Bomb, but that's always felt like a rough estimate.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burncoat: Jeff mentioned that it's not a material uptick in visits.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dray2k

We're famous now guys!

Meanwhile, the person who made the original tweet that blew up which ultimately lead to this article will never be interviewed, such a shame. At least the person got mentioned, which is a neato touch.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forteexe21 said:

Drew going to start his own company taking advantage of his meme popularity like Grumpy Cat. Have a movie, cartoon, comics, a christmas special, guest host WWE Raw, etc.

I'd watch all of that... and I hate wrestling with a passion.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait for this year's Thanksgiving Day parade, in which Drew makes a surprise appearance to blink at the crowds in person.

"Oh boy, there goes Snoopy!"

"Everybody loves Snoopy, Al! An American icon!"

"Indeed! And - hold on, is that - it is! Drew Scanlon himself, folks! Of Giant Bomb Dot Com and internet meme fame, it seems as though he's taking a page from Rick Astley!"

"Ahaha! He's giving the crowds his world-famous blink! Wonderful! And, oh - Look out, Drew! Coming up behind Drew Scanlon is what appears to be a Genome Soldier from the Metal Gear Solid franchise!"

"Drew's trying to snap his neck - oh, no, now he's crouching - now he's laying down... he's rolling back and forth... OH, he got 'im! Well done, Drew!"

"And here comes Santa!"

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

The internet was a mistake

mathey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We made it, guys! We're famous! And, hey, we did it without being assholes.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WynnDuffy

Uh oh, in the 2020 elections someone will be writing an article about how this meme is a white supremacist symbol!

Can you imagine if that actually happened?

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

@shagge said:

I can't wait for this year's Thanksgiving Day parade, in which Drew makes a surprise appearance to blink at the crowds in person.

"Indeed! And - hold on, is that - it is! Drew Scanlon himself, folks! Of Giant Bomb Dot Com and internet meme fame, it seems as though he's taking a page from Rick Astley!"

"Ahaha! He's giving the crowds his world-famous blink! Wonderful! And, oh - Look out, Drew! Coming up behind Drew Scanlon is what appears to be a Genome Soldier from the Metal Gear Solid franchise!"

"Drew's trying to snap his neck - oh, no, now he's crouching - now he's laying down... he's rolling back and forth... OH, he got 'im! Well done, Drew!"

"And here comes Santa!"

I love it!

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm laughing myself sick over here. This post should live forever.

@shagge said:

"And here comes Santa!"

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I'm laughing myself sick over here. This post should live forever.

@shagge said:

"And here comes Santa!"

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I wasn't aware that this meme was actually a big deal. Maybe I'm just getting out of touch. Nice to see Drew's finally hit the bigtime, though.

BFZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

USA Today has it now as well. What a strange world we live in.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm surprised it appears to be gaining traction, thought it would have faded by this point.

:blink

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Patrick had his Xbox one story, Austin started a brand new website, and now drew becomes a meme sensation.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Drew "guy blinking" Scanlon now has internet fame rivaling that of Will "amazed by VR" Smith.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this meme genuinely bigger than any meme ever? I've never seen a meme warrant it's own article in a mainstream broadsheet newspaper. I always thought there is a show to be made there meme hunters, travelling the world meeting people who have featured in memes and chatting to social media experts about them.