• 92 results
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Milkman

I think most people would agree that E3 this year was a bit of a disappointment. No doubt there was a ton of great looking games but I can't help but feel there was a ton of stuff that we've seen a hundred times. However, there is a level of cynicism that I've seen from some of those in the gaming press that has really distressed me. And I'm not even talking about towards the game but more towards the event as a whole.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not referring to any Giant Bomb guys and that most of the press doesn't have this problem. But there is a select few I've seen that really rubbed me the wrong way.

I understand a certain level of frustration with this industry and the shooter overload that everyone seems to be feeling. Believe me, I feel it too. But I see these journalists on Twitter who just seem like the unhappiest people in the world and complain about everything to do with E3. And I understand that everyone is working hard and I understand the relief when it's all over but when I read things like "God, E3 is the worst. I can't wait to go home", my blood starts to boil.

I think we all need to take a step back and realize something here. We're talking about video games here. Video games. Your job is to play (and write) video games. Yeah, there is a ton wrong with E3 and the giant spectacle but if you can find a way to be that miserable at a VIDEO GAME CONVENTION, get out of the industry. This week, no matter who you are, if you're at E3 you saw a bunch of cool games. If you weren't excited for any of the games at this show, you're in the wrong industry. You know what I did this week? I sat at a desk 9-5 everyday. Meanwhile, you played Halo 4. So forgive me if I don't want to have a pity party for the game journalists.

Again, I want to make it clear that I know these guys work hard but I think it's important to put things in perspective once in a while. Also, if there's any kind of horrible spelling errors because I'm writing this on my phone and this was all kind of just a stream of consciousness. My overall point is hey, let's have some fun playing video games and I know the onslaught of Call of Dutys and FPSes can be a drag but there is always something to be excited about.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Milkman said:

if you can find a way to be that miserable at a VIDEO GAME CONVENTION, get out of the industry.

Is that why Seanbaby works for Cracked, now?

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Lukeweizer

They're allowed to be miserable at a convention that didn't excite them because they've seen this shit a lot more than you have. They can get sick of it. Shooter after shooter, sequel after sequel. I don't blame them. They're allowed to have an opinion and not like the direction of certain companies. I'm sure next E3, when new consoles and IP's are announced, we'll be more excited.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By EpicSteve

SOme people really hate work. Large crowds, waking up early and the show itself not having much to show must be annoying. No matter what the job, employees will always complain about something.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By doobie

E3 is the same every year.

everyone gets really excited and hyped up about it and then are let down because its always a bit shit.

i go into E3 with no expectations from it so im never disappointed.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Phatmac

Unless you've been a game journalist I don't think that you have a right to say stuff like this.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By iamjohn

Kevin Smith, is that you? Is this going to your first topic on your new "no critics allowed" talk show?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Milkman
@Lukeweizer@doobie I'm not saying that they don't have the right to complain. They absolutely do but even at the most boring E3, there is always something new and cool to see and I see these people who seem fucking suicidal at E3 and I ask myself why some people even bother.
algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By algertman

No such thing as a game journalist.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By AngelN7

Yeah but I think that's very specific too (some journalist more than others) I've been watching Destructoid/Rev3games on youtube coverage of E3 and they seem very excited about most stuff and they are very enthusiastic when talking about what they've seen, from Metal Gear to Hawken but yeah I feel what you're saying E3 can be stressful to them but at the same is the biggest event in gaming I'd be stoked to be there just seeing stuff in the show floor I mean I am just by watching trailers and interviews I cannot imagine how cool it would be to play a close doors demo of a game like The Last of Us would be, yes a lot of stuff we knew about already and a lot of "same thing" but that doesn't mean it isn't fun or interesting.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Milkman
@iAmJohn

Kevin Smith, is that you? Is this going to your first topic on your new "no critics allowed" talk show?

What? When did I say no critics allowed? Like I said, there's plenty to be sad about with E3 at times but it's the extremes that I'm worried about.
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@EpicSteve said:

SOme people really hate work. Large crowds, waking up early and the show itself not having much to show must be annoying. No matter what the job, employees will always complain about something.

This. That's like saying "If you hate fairs, go die." I HATE the big fair here in Western Washington, it's miserable. There are too many people, it smells of animal shit, it's fucking hot, and despite there being worth while things there, I HATE IT there.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iamjohn

@Milkman said:

@iAmJohn

What? When did I say no critics allowed? Like I said, there's plenty to be sad about with E3 at times but it's the extremes that I'm worried about.

I'm just saying man, reading a lot of the OP echoes a lot of the stuff Kevin Smith has said about his new movie talk show, about how critics are out-of-touch cynical assholes who sit in their ivory tower and aren't real fans. And of course, when Kevin Smith says it he sounds like a jackass who's completely full of himself and pissed off that all the critics who lauded Clerks and his early work and helped him find the audience and career he's had started turning against him once his movies went to shit.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that while I agree with you that overblown cynicism is redonkulous, the attitude of "shut up your job is to cover a new video game convention which is the best job ever stop whining" goes a little too far for my tastes into that complaining about critics being critics territory. Since, you know, when your job is to critically analyze all the new stuff coming out and everything you're seeing is trite nonsense, it kind of gives you a different perspective on things. I'm not saying that there aren't those extremes and dudes being complete assholes, I'm just not sure those extremes are as extreme as you're making them out to be.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Milkman
@iAmJohn Right, I never want to make it seem like I'm unappreciative of the work the games press does. And this is not a rampant problem in the press by any means. I saw a tweet this week literally comparing E3 to dental surgery. That's the kind of shit that makes me ask "why are you here?"
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sooty

I was annoyed that I watched those mostly boring and cringeworthy conferences, this is from the comfort of my home. If I had travelled across the country to get there, and spend time in a large, moist environment I'd be even more cynical than I am about it now!

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By FilipHolm

E3 is always a disapointment... why do we keep having high expetations? Next year I won... wait, next year they're supposed to show new consoles... damnit..

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jace

@Milkman: For me it has gotten to the point where if I see a game about war in the middle east, I get sour. We've passed the point of beating a dead horse. I don't even know what to call it now. The best conference was Ubisoft, and that's because they had games. However, they still had a low point with splinter warfare:blackops.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By geirr

It's not cynicism, it's wisdom.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kmdrkul

Yeah, I've always felt that (some) games journalists were spoiled and even pompous. Key word: SOME of these folks.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Dagbiker

E3 is the worst of times, it is also the Best of times.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By artgarcrunkle

lol games journalism

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By excast

i can understand getting a little tired with the constant shooterification of the video game industry.  There was definitely a lot of great, new stuff at E3, but even new IPs like Dishonored, Last of Us, and Watch Dogs involved a lot of guns, blood, and gore.

You can only see virtual characters murdered in so many ways before it starts to get old, yanno?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic

You're the guy who undermines and mocks other people's "personal thoughts" threads and then posts his own thread giving us the "right" way of thinking, right? 
Ok, let me play your role on your thread: 
@Milkman  said: 

What possesses people to make these stupid threads?

Yes, some people in the industry are jaded and post grim E3 stories and tweets. They make your blood boil and cause you to spam the forums with a thread (that should've been a blog) calling out their cynicism? Get over yourself.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jimbo

It's nowhere near as sickening as all of the whooping and hollering in the press conferences. Every single person that cheered when Tretton threw a Playstation Plus membership at them should be fucking embarassed.

We need less cheerleading from the press, not more of it.

viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By viking

@AhmadMetallic said:

You're the guy who undermines and mocks other people's "personal thoughts" threads and then posts his own thread giving us the "right" way of thinking, right?

Being honest about one's personal thoughts isn't the same as being cynical and/or sarcastic, at least in my book.

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jimmi

A lot of games 'journalists' are self-entitled twats, hence the tweets you're referring to.

The rest are just fed up.

Lake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lake

I want to know where this cynicism goes when the gaming media interviews developers or reviews games? Watch out, we got a lot of Twitter bad asses over here.

Typical gaming media, on Twitter, after seeing the demo of Military Shooter 2012: Beige with lots of explosions. Yawn.

Typical gaming media reviewing Military Shooter 2012: 11/10

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Milkman
@AhmadMetallic said:
Ok, let me play your role on your thread: 
@Milkman  said: 
What possesses people to make these stupid threads?
 Yes, some people in the industry are jaded and post grim E3 stories and tweets. They make your blood boil and cause you to spam the forums with a thread (that should've been a blog) calling out their cynicism? Get over yourself.
I never said it was the "right' way of thinking. It's simply "my" way of thinking. I'm not even sure what your arguing here. I never said I was better than any of those people so I'm not sure why I have to get over myself exactly.  

Also, for the record, that quote from me was in a thread asking why Brad has a nervous tick. Hardly someone's "personal thoughts." I'd like to think that this thread has more discussion value than that one. I don't know, maybe you disagree. 

@Jimbo said:
It's nowhere near as sickening as all of the whooping and hollering in the press conferences. Every single person that cheered when Tretton threw a Playstation Plus membership at them should be fucking embarassed.  We need less cheerleading from the press, not more of it.
This is a whole separate issue and I agree, totally sucks.
Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bocam

@Jimbo: I hope the people that did cheer were just planted by Sony.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By wjb

@EpicSteve said:

Agreed. I never want to accuse someone of entitlement, but there are people that definitely cannot deal with large crowds, schedules, deadlines, or barely sleeping/waking up early for a week. I don't think they're ungrateful, I just think some people have no restraint with what they say out-loud.

Us nerds aren't exactly the most easy-going people in the world, either.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sooty

@Bocam said:

I bet they would have gone off their fucking chains if it was a free Qore membership.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Chop

@Bocam said:

Didn't Alex's write up say all the cheering was because a bunch of playstation blog people were in the audience?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gaff

@Jimbo said:

It's nowhere near as sickening as all of the whooping and hollering in the press conferences. Every single person that cheered when Tretton threw a Playstation Plus membership at them should be fucking embarassed. We need less cheerleading from the press, not more of it.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/29/playstation-at-e3-2012-watch-live-attend-the-press-conference/

If you live in the Los Angeles area, though, we’ve got an even better offer. How would you like to attend the PlayStation E3 2012 Press Conference? I’m holding close to 200 seats at the LA Sports Arena for you — all you have to do is show up (and cheer). It won’t be hard. Deal? Here’s what you need to know.
You’re Invited: PlayStation E3 2012 Press Conference
Date: June 4th, 2012
Time: Get there no later than 3:30pm for check in. We can only admit 200 people max, and it’ll be first come, first served!
3939 South Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90037
Parking:
Self parking will be available for any guests who are driving their personal vehicles. Please enter Parking Lot 5 on MLK Boulevard at Hoover and when you arrive please tell the lot attendant that you are attending the Sony Press Event.
Restrictions: You must be at least 21 years old to attend. We will be checking IDs!

This explains it.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ravenlight

@Milkman:

I know it's offtopic, but your avatar looked like a strip of delicious bacon at first. Is that on purpose?

@Sooty said:

I was annoyed that I watched those mostly boring and cringeworthy conferences, this is from the comfort of my home. If I had travelled across the country to get there, and spend time in a large, moist environment I'd be even more cynical than I am about it now!

But the cringing was the best part!

ashleychittock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By ashleychittock

@Dagbiker said:

E3 is the worst of times, it is also the Best of times.

It was the BLURST of times?!

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Arker101

These aren't just journalists, they're also critics and enthusiasts. They also saw some of this stuff ahead of time. We're coming towards the end of a console generation, so everything's being dragged out and all of the new tech and IPs are being held onto until Sony and MS reveal their new systems. I heard somebody in the recent live streams say something to the affect of "We're all fanboys in one way or another" and the only fanboys who were pleased this year were the Ubisoft ones. All the others were hung out to dry for another year.

The worst thing for an enthusiast of a hobby is to have nothing to be enthused about.

@artgarcrunkle said:

lol games journalism

There ya go.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jimbo
@Gaff said:

@Jimbo said:

It's nowhere near as sickening as all of the whooping and hollering in the press conferences. Every single person that cheered when Tretton threw a Playstation Plus membership at them should be fucking embarassed. We need less cheerleading from the press, not more of it.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/29/playstation-at-e3-2012-watch-live-attend-the-press-conference/

If you live in the Los Angeles area, though, we’ve got an even better offer. How would you like to attend the PlayStation E3 2012 Press Conference? I’m holding close to 200 seats at the LA Sports Arena for you — all you have to do is show up (and cheer). It won’t be hard. Deal? Here’s what you need to know.
You’re Invited: PlayStation E3 2012 Press Conference
Date: June 4th, 2012
Time: Get there no later than 3:30pm for check in. We can only admit 200 people max, and it’ll be first come, first served!
3939 South Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90037
Parking:
Self parking will be available for any guests who are driving their personal vehicles. Please enter Parking Lot 5 on MLK Boulevard at Hoover and when you arrive please tell the lot attendant that you are attending the Sony Press Event.
Restrictions: You must be at least 21 years old to attend. We will be checking IDs!

This explains it.

Gross.  If it's gonna be billed as a press conference, the press should probably ask if there's any chance the companies involved could cut that shit out. 'Ask' as in "cut that shit out or we're collectively boycotting your show".  I hope the press members present didn't accept the little 'gift' they were offered at least.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I always find it funny when people turn on the press conferences and then start going OH GOD THIS IS SO BORING GUHHHHHH. Like they're being forced to watch. I'm going to do that with the news from now on. COME ON CHANNEL SEVEN WEATHER I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE HUMIDEX GET TO THE FOUR DAY FORECAST!

"We're doing a press conference, if you want to watch it live you can do that here!"

"Okay, I'll guess I'll spend my time watching this."

"Alright, so this year-"

"GUHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Clonedzero

yeah, its kinda annoying hearing the crew whine about being at E3. i would have loved to be there, see the new games and all that jazz.

but the giantbomb team had this big whiney build up of "waah, E3 is gonna suck! its coming so soooon ugh!"

the only two i really have any sympathy for in their E3 whining is vinny and drew. they had to handle all the video stuff, the cameras, the editing, ect.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Eurobum

@algertman said:

No such thing as a game journalist.

True. It's more like second tier public relations, really.

Outsourced (meta) community management.

Trying to find a role, that is not journalism, preservers of game history or maybe encyclopedists of game trivia, role models for gaming consumption, reality internet-radio/TV celebs, champions of video game fandom.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By Humanity

I agree with a lot of those points. Never really got why they whine and complain so much when E3 rolls around. They make it sound like audio-visual rape at times and lets be honest, they walk around the show floor and see a couple of games - literally a handful - then talk about them (if you're Alex you do a writeup apparently; also funny how several guests on Bombcast were poking fun at Patrick for not getting any real stories while that guy from Kotaku got a whole bunch of hot scoops) They've all just worked in the industry for so long that they're just a bit jaded by it all. This is why sometimes their reviews and comments seem out of touch with that of the consumer, because as they all like to joke at times, they get a ton of those games sent to them for review and this has probably really blurred their price value sensibilities. When I used to work for the movie theater circuit they used to organize this thing called NATO each year where basically Sony Pictures, Fox, Fox Searchlights, Warner Brothers, Paramount and others would come and show reels of trailers for upcoming movies - some of which still had green screens in them. At the end of this several hour presentation they had tables with free swag like t-shirts and little shot glasses, back packs etc. All my co-workers hated going to that thing, and I loved it year after year and never understood why you wouldn't want to go and have a sneak peak of some awesome movie Paramount is working on like a year ahead of time. Bottom line, I agree they all complain too much and no I don't have to have lived the life of a game journalist to see that it's not that hard of a job. Really, not to diss the Bombcrew but apart from coming to work, playing some game, maybe taking part in a Quick Look, what else does Brad for instance do in the 8 hour work day?

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By tourgen

I guess I wasn't picking up much cynicism myself.  I would call it genuine unhappiness with the direction of the industry, the common denominator of big-budget games getting made, and the overall business practices of publishers.  Sometimes things aren't always rainbows shooting out of a unicorn's ass.  And that's O.K.  Some course-correction is probably in order within the industry.

Even with all of that I saw a whole lot of upbeat reporting and things to be happy and excited for.  The WiiU looks like it might turn out alright even if it isn't a game changer.  There were a few really cool new games shown.  Ubisoft in particular was more than up to kicking industry trends in the nuts and trying a few risky moves.  For an end-of-generation year things seem to be doing pretty well.

Chroma_Auron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43  Edited By Chroma_Auron

I agree with TP. There is a lot of complaining and cynicism going on from journalists, attendances, etc. I can understand be worn out from walking, tired, hungry, physical issues, etc. If the event is becoming not fun or something dreadful, then change things up. Go to booths that have low crowds, talk to people in-depth that no one talks too.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Things don't change for a while. People bitch. Things change, and people are happy again. Then the new things stay the same for a while, and they start to bitch again. Then things change again. And they're happy again.

This is pretty much life.

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By masterrain

I feel exactly the same, their Job is to report on videogames to us.

I don't think people want to hear about them having to wake up early or sit though a boring meeting, because that is my work everyday. They should try and be as enthusiastic as possible, even in mocking bad games, but shouldn't complain about having to be at E3.

The GB crew do it right, they make fun of a bad situation, and talk about the actual games, but don't feel sorry for themselves.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By zombie2011

@Milkman said:

@Lukeweizer@doobie I'm not saying that they don't have the right to complain. They absolutely do but even at the most boring E3, there is always something new and cool to see and I see these people who seem fucking suicidal at E3 and I ask myself why some people even bother.

Do you think maybe the guys complaining are the guys that don't get to cover to cool games and instead are the ones covering Dynasty Warriors 12 and DBZ for kinect.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#47  Edited By Claude

I think of it more as a game critics take on E3. I'm sure it's hard when you review games for a living not to be a critic when talking about everything concerning E3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Milkman: you know what.

You're absolutely fucking right.

They really should quit whining or just leave. They dont get any cred or sympathy from me whining like that.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By Gabriel

@Humanity said:

Really, not to diss the Bombcrew but apart from coming to work, playing some game, maybe taking part in a Quick Look, what else does Brad for instance do in the 8 hour work day?

I think he does the majority of talking and scheduling with PR of games companies to make sure games get to the office and when developers come in to show off games. Or something along those lines.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By laserbolts

I don't see how you can be miserable at work when your work is visiting a video game convention for a few days out of a year when you are not playing videogames and writing about them. Jesus I have to work super hard in ridiculously hot weather and I don't get half as bummed out as some of the games journalists out there. They should be thankful they are fortunate enough to have the jobs they have.