Avatar image for silver-streak
#1 Posted by Silver-Streak (1841 posts) -

Didn't see this posted anywhere, so here we go: https://www.origin.com/us/news/origin-great-game-guarantee

You can now return digital games bought on Origin (EA Only). Within 24 hours of first launch, within 7 days of first purchase.

It sounds like there's not even any human interaction to it. It's basically like on the Google Play store for android, don't like it, hit refund, get money back.

Color me massively surprised.

Avatar image for bigjeffrey
#2 Edited by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -

Avatar image for video_game_king
#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

@bigjeffrey:

As long as we're posting GIFs that are vaguely relevant to the topic, I predict this to be the Internet's general reaction:

To everything.

Avatar image for silver-streak
#4 Edited by Silver-Streak (1841 posts) -

@video_game_king: I'd say that's accurate. Or people start demanding Steam match the policy. Which steam will go "Sure. We aren't releasing any new games for a few years, but when we do, you can do the same thing"

Avatar image for zoozilla
#5 Posted by zoozilla (1023 posts) -

It's an interesting move on EA's part, and gives the impression that they really want to compete with Steam.

I'm looking forward to seeing people's experiences with returning Origin games in the future. Obviously, they must prevent you from finishing a single-player game in 6 hours or whatever and then getting all your money back.

Avatar image for pr1mus
#6 Posted by pr1mus (4158 posts) -

This is great news.

And should become standard everywhere.

Avatar image for twisted
#8 Posted by Twisted (305 posts) -

The idea of digital refunds seems very strange to me. The system will be exploited relentlessly for single-player games. I also assume the refund would be a full refund back to your card, as in, not just store credit or something.

I think this is good news but I wonder if this will really be beneficial for EA in the long run.

Avatar image for themangalist
#9 Posted by themangalist (1869 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

This is great news.

And should become standard everywhere.

We should still wait on at least a few weeks and see if the system is getting its shit exploited out of that EA needs to pull out. Let's consider this a social experiment at the moment.

Avatar image for darji
#10 Posted by Darji (5412 posts) -

This makes no sense. So how many people will now buy a game. Finish it in 24 hours and then return it? There must be something that prevents people from doing it.

Avatar image for hailinel
#11 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@darji said:

This makes no sense. So how many people will now buy a game. Finish it in 24 hours and then return it? There must be something that prevents people from doing it.

That's assuming that you can finish it in twenty-four hours. And it's only for EA-published titles.

Avatar image for chiablo
#12 Edited by chiablo (1043 posts) -

If only this existed on March 5th, 2013.

Avatar image for aviar
#13 Posted by Aviar (504 posts) -

@chiablo said:

If only this existed on March 5th, 2013.

AGREED!!!

I read about this in my morning rss news feeds. The first thing I thought is what everyone else is saying, how will this NOT be exploited and what are they going to do to stop it. I think this is a great idea, but there has to be some "rules" we just aren't aware of yet as I am sure EA is going to do MORE then cover their a$$e$.

Avatar image for darji
#14 Edited by Darji (5412 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

This makes no sense. So how many people will now buy a game. Finish it in 24 hours and then return it? There must be something that prevents people from doing it.

That's assuming that you can finish it in twenty-four hours. And it's only for EA-published titles.

I ca finish every EA game in 24 hours maybe not dagon age 3 but we will see about that.

Avatar image for falserelic
#15 Edited by falserelic (5770 posts) -
Avatar image for hailinel
#16 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

This makes no sense. So how many people will now buy a game. Finish it in 24 hours and then return it? There must be something that prevents people from doing it.

That's assuming that you can finish it in twenty-four hours. And it's only for EA-published titles.

I ca finish every EA game in 24 hours maybe not dagon age 3 but we will see about that.

Do you actually have the time to devote twenty-four hours straight to any video game?

Avatar image for darji
#17 Edited by Darji (5412 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

This makes no sense. So how many people will now buy a game. Finish it in 24 hours and then return it? There must be something that prevents people from doing it.

That's assuming that you can finish it in twenty-four hours. And it's only for EA-published titles.

I ca finish every EA game in 24 hours maybe not dagon age 3 but we will see about that.

Do you actually have the time to devote twenty-four hours straight to any video game?

weekend one sitting done. Today's SP games are not really that long to begin with^^

Avatar image for crusader8463
#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14757 posts) -

It's EA we are dealing with here, so there must be some kind of small print that will keep them from ever needing to do this. Like it takes them 48 hours to respond to any request for a refund thus making the 24 hour period pointless. This is just far too consumer friendly to be a thing from EA.

Avatar image for nictel
#19 Posted by Nictel (2695 posts) -

Probably a limit to the number of times you can do did in a period of time. Far too many games you can finish in under 24 hours.

Avatar image for donmfjohnson
#20 Posted by DonMFJohnson (182 posts) -

This seems way too good and open to exploitation. I bet they flag you account after a few returns and you can't do it anymore.

Avatar image for jakob187
#21 Edited by jakob187 (22932 posts) -

Love how people comment on that origin link about origin being better than steam haha.Those people are really drunk if not fully r*ated

The only thing that Steam has over Origin at this point is a much larger library and the community features. Beyond that, I've had faster download speeds through Origin, less memory overhead from Origin running (Steam is a memory hog), and not a single crash issue with a game on it.