• 74 results
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
Come for the points, stay for the open-ended role-playing.
When Bethesda first confirmed that the PC version of Fallout 3 would have Games For Windows Live achievements, I had a feeling the game's open-ended nature would inspire, shall we say, shortcuts among the mod community. Indeed, there are mods out there that do things like spawning all of the collectible bobbleheads in one location. It's already pretty easy to get all those points quickly, if you really want them, since Bethesda didn't disable achievements when mods are used.

It turns out the achievements in Fallout 3 PC are, in fact, really easy to get--no mods required. As discussed on this week's Bombcast, you can simply drop down the game's developer console, accessed by hitting the tilde (~) key, and punch in the command "addachievement x" where x is a number between 1 and 54, corresponding to the game's 54 achievements. That's including the four added by Operation: Anchorage, which you don't even have to own to get the additional 100 potential points included in that add-on. You can do all this from the game's main menu, without ever starting a new game. That's 1,100 points in about one minute. Scandalous!

I personally verified that this trick does in fact work. 54 times. All in the name of research, you know.

This certainly smacks of last year's achievement frenzy surrounding Avatar: The Last Airbender, which let you rack up the full 1,000 points in about 30 seconds of repetitive action. The key difference here is, Fallout 3 is actually worth your time, notwithstanding the ease of its achievements.

Anyway, this odd turn of events prompted us to seek comment from Bethesda about whether this command was intentionally left in the game or not. VP Pete Hines responded thusly.

There are lots of things you can do using console commands. It's not something we encourage or support.

Doesn't sound like the trick will be removed in subsequent patches, then. So at least for the moment, if you have a yen for achievement points and no shame, it seems Fallout 3 is your game.
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
When Bethesda first confirmed that the PC version of Fallout 3 would have Games For Windows Live achievements, I had a feeling the game's open-ended nature would inspire, shall we say, shortcuts among the mod community. Indeed, there are mods out there that do things like spawning all of the collectible bobbleheads in one location. It's already pretty easy to get all those points quickly, if you really want them, since Bethesda didn't disable achievements when mods are used.

It turns out the achievements in Fallout 3 PC are, in fact, really easy to get--no mods required. As discussed on this week's Bombcast, you can simply drop down the game's developer console, accessed by hitting the tilde (~) key, and punch in the command "addachievement x" where x is a number between 1 and 54, corresponding to the game's 54 achievements. That's including the four added by Operation: Anchorage, which you don't even have to own to get the additional 100 potential points included in that add-on. You can do all this from the game's main menu, without ever starting a new game. That's 1,100 points in about one minute. Scandalous!

I personally verified that this trick does in fact work. 54 times. All in the name of research, you know.

This certainly smacks of last year's achievement frenzy surrounding Avatar: The Last Airbender, which let you rack up the full 1,000 points in about 30 seconds of repetitive action. The key difference here is, Fallout 3 is actually worth your time, notwithstanding the ease of its achievements.

Anyway, this odd turn of events prompted us to seek comment from Bethesda about whether this command was intentionally left in the game or not. VP Pete Hines responded thusly.

There are lots of things you can do using console commands. It's not something we encourage or support.

Doesn't sound like the trick will be removed in subsequent patches, then. So at least for the moment, if you have a yen for achievement points and no shame, it seems Fallout 3 is your game.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

As much as I think it is awsome that someone can just punch in a command and have every achievement point in a game, I think developers need to put an end to this sort of thing as quickly as possible

Nizzleworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Nizzleworth

Don't they have to ADD it into the game?

How do they not support something they add?

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

"So at least for the moment, if you have a yen for achievement points and no shame, it seems Fallout 3 is your game"

god, i love reading Brad's writing. good article Brad. as for all this achievement point / trophy thing, i think its a good addtion to games and give it a lasting appeal, but im no acheivment whore like some people. *cough* Ryan *cough* Jeff......

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FlipperDesert

I think this was dealt with properly on the bombcast, the devs left that in there and people have exploited it. I have the PC version and do I feel cheated that people have got those points like that? Not really, those bobbleheads can be a bitch to get. Do I wanna cheat for them as well? Nope, I like to feel rewarded when I get them. At the least, points addicts might buy another copy of the game.

That being said, you can say it was for whatever you like Brad, you're still a dirty cheater for testing that out! *shakes fist*

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JoelTGM

that's awesome, can't believe it's that easy and you don't even need to own the expansion

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By AndrewB

The fact that you don't even have to own the DLC to get the achievements makes this all the more effed up. But whatever. I for one have no interest in the whole gamerscore business, anyway, beyond the fact that I do somewhat enjoy achievements as a fun little goal system in the game. I've been aware of this cheat for awhile now, but am still trudging through Fallout 3 a second time, this time actually using GFWL and my account in order to get the achievements.

Avatar image for deactivated-61bfe6136a8a7
deactivated-61bfe6136a8a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anything, this makes me want to buy the PC version.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By RHCPfan24
WOW.

That gets my WTF? moment of the day. I don't have the PC version, but if I did, I would be on that quicker than a wooden spoon at a spelling bee.
Elk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Elk

Pppft! and I get no credit :P

Enjoy the points!
Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Death_Burnout

See that's what i thought Elk, but to be honest, i'm not complaining :D

ZeroGravX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZeroGravX

Brad, your gamerscore is now tainted with evil doings!

Also, I can see why Brad felt the need to "test" the way it works. But everyone else... for shame. Technically those points would be worthless as you did nothing to actually achieve said points. Which is the point of achievements is it not?
richied0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By richied0

SOLD!

Even though I own it on 360.

RawShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RawShark

Not like it matters. Achievements should be there to make you play the game - and Fallout 3 doesn't need them to make you devote stupid amounts of time to it's world.

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rasgueado

Despite what was actually said on the podcast... we *can* look down on the people who take the points this way. The devil made me do it defense is actually pretty weak.

Hire a points czar? Some of us don't need an imaginary power figure to make sure everyone plays nice. I know people want to win, but come on. Does this mean you cheat at Solitaire as well? Bicycle hasn't ever shipped a pack of cards with an angry old lady that will watch you and slap your knuckles with a metre stick every time you break the rules.

Every achievement comes with a nice little description of what you need to do in order to achieve it. If you didn't do those things, whether the command is in the developer console or not, you cheated. Just be honest as say that you cheated instead of blaming Bethesda for making absolute sure that you *couldn't* break the rules of the game that you play in SOLITAIRE.

(There are other games that you can gain achievements in by using cheats. Dead Space for example... I don't think an appropriate litmus test on whether or not a game's achievement system is broken is how long you were cheating for while earning achievements.)

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By TomA

I have to say that this is retarded,it seems you guys have forgotten what achievements are for,they're in the game to give you a challenge,not to punch in a few commands and unlock points that don't do anything at all.So ya this feature is stupid.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TomA

I have to say that this is retarded,it seems you guys have forgotten what achievements are for,they're in the game to give you a challenge,not to punch in a few commands and unlock points that don't do anything at all.So ya this feature is stupid.

brydello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By brydello

I used it for three achievements on Tuesday night. I'm not ashamed.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#19  Edited By LordAndrew

Bethesda may not care how you obtain your achievements, but I suspect Microsoft may not like the fact that you can get points from a DLC pack that you don't even own. Surely that's some sort of violation of their Terms of Service.

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#20  Edited By Ping5000

I don't think it's that big of a deal. Games For Windows Live isn't popular or used enough for achievements to really be all that relevant for PCs. At least, it doesn't feel that relevant when I get them while playing on the PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-6296e29cde7c5
deactivated-6296e29cde7c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did this a while ago. I also did it for me friend! 1100 points in the bank!
It's ok though because I'm earning them legit on the 360 version!

Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Kajaah117

So Brad finally gave in. Next up, Avatar and the 2006 sports games.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By Alphazero

Weak.

I've earned my points, boyo.

Well, except for that Doritos game. <cries in corner>

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By iamjohn

I mean, seriously, so what?  Sure, I fully intend to do this to get the level-karma achievements, but really, if people want to deprive themselves the opportunity to play through such a fuck awesome game and legitimately get the achievements, let them.  Who cares?  I've gotten all my Fallout 3 achievements for realsies so far, and I don't care at all.

brydello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By brydello

inb4Microsoft!

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#26  Edited By Brackynews

Console having PC commands == cheating!
PC having console commands == irony!

Xander51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Xander51

Man Jeff, I've been avoiding doing this ever since I heard it could be done on the podcast the other day. You're not making this any easier!

A big part of it is that Fallout 3 crashes every 30 minutes or so on my PC. It's so tempting to say screw it and get the points. I already beat the 360 version and got a fair amount of points out of it.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pause422

Achievements mean nothing in the first place, anyone that has a problem with this is honestly just dumb.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#29  Edited By jacksukeru

I smell conspiracy. The word gets out that Fallout 3 has free achievements and a few hundred copies more leave the shelf.
Nah just kidding, would be funny though.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#30  Edited By Artie

I made a video for this, enjoy:

ethanmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ethanmmm

This actually helped me when the game didnt give me the achievement ... but used it to get the rest.

BrockSampson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BrockSampson

This is worth just to see the purists squirm.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33  Edited By Geno

Wait, so does this mean you can get nigh infinite points?

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#34  Edited By strangeling

Ridiculous.

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Cubical

The xbox 360 version looks and plays like ass and you have to earn the Achievements who would buy it? it is not even fun to earn them.

Also The xbox 360 version makes me sick looking at it though Blury ass upscaled 720p and  textures with low draw distance that makes superman 64 look like it has less fog and expansive massive citys +that damn game pad=no fun. So any small amount of appeal earning some points in the xbox 360 port of fallout 3 goes away after i see how horrible it looks and more so after I start playing it with that damn slow gamepad analog stick so I won't be trying that again ever.

But I never use my xbox 360/xbox live account anyway and i t could be worse I could be playing fable 2/gears of war or something on it over and over again for Achievements and that will never happen again that game was horrible.  I lost interest in playing those games for points after 60 minutes.

SO ya nice job bethesda  On PC i don't give a rats ass about Achievements really so they should just put in the commands to hand them over on every game since Nobody on PC cares.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Red

I think they should have a negative 1000 achievement for using the cheat.

brad_schl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By brad_schl

Nice to see it's this easy to do this.  I've completed 2/3 of the achievements before realizing I could even get them by logging into Live on the PC.  So I'll be doing this to catch up to my current save game.

AspiringAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AspiringAndy

Cubical = PS3 Fanboy.

Ubergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ubergeist

Wow that's really tempting but I've earned all my Achievements so far I'd hate to corrupt myself. I feel so rewarded.

Aydin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Aydin

All you PC cheaters,

I got all the 1100 legit on 360. no cheats, no commands.

Now take that suckers!

BTW, I totally see Microsoft taking action soon. remember when they lowered the 360 cheaters' gamerscores to zero? well, something like that will probably happen to PC gamers too.

Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ouroboros

The problem is I dont think anyone gives a shit about achievements on the PC - they are not the same as they are on a 360.  If anyone gave a shit about this it would be Microsoft and they dont as they're not doing anything - these are the people who though they could charge for Live on a PC.  They dropped that just recently, it's no wonder why they arent too concerned about this - it's up to the developer/publisher to set the standards here.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hairydutchman

When I see people with high gamerscores, I assume they're nerds with no social live besides Xbox Live. 

RUSKIERAMBO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RUSKIERAMBO

I think as long as you have finished the game, say on 360 and got the full points then may be its ok to revisit and get the full 1100 this way through the PC version. Although it does disuse the def of an achievement.

seram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By seram

Most achievements now aren't really achievements as much as they are "play for a long time" awards anyway. I remember the old days where when you accomplished something, you were awarded with something that contributed to the actual game. Those days are gone now...

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#45  Edited By Cerza

I personally say "so what?" People need to step back from the whole achievements thing and remember that you are supposed to be playing games because YOU LIKE THEM and because THEY ARE FUN! Not for some stupid virtual badge that adds an arbitrary number of virtual points a virtual score that doesn't get you anything other than virtual bragging rights.

Avatar image for deactivated-596b8044e5f9a
deactivated-596b8044e5f9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got quite a few of the achievements already on the PC version of Fallout 3, but I don't think I would consider using this cheat to get them all. Why? Because getting achievements legitimately throughout the course of the game adds extra satisfaction to the whole experience, and by cheating your way to extra points you're only cheating yourself out of that satisfaction.

Doogie2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47  Edited By Doogie2K
Weak.

I've earned my points, boyo.

Well, except for that Doritos game. <cries in corner>

At least in Doritos: Dash for Doritos, you have to do something to "earn" the achievements (i.e. play through a glorified browser Flash game for 20 minutes or so).  I bet you could write a script to do that 1-54 business in a couple of minutes, if you knew what you were doing.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

As such, people won't recognize achievements from Windows Live games. Nobody will believe anyone accomplished them through conventional means (which can usually mean looking them up on the Internet after finishing the game. :) ).

Agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Agentfred

I'm not sure I understand the point of this.  The fundamental idea behind achievements is being reward for achieving something.  If you're simply using the console to artificially inflate an artificial score, well, that seems kind of useless.  Eh, well, I'll never understand why you guys like achievements in the first place.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By pause422
Aydin said:
"All you PC cheaters,

I got all the 1100 legit on 360. no cheats, no commands.

Now take that suckers!

BTW, I totally see Microsoft taking action soon. remember when they lowered the 360 cheaters' gamerscores to zero? well, something like that will probably happen to PC gamers too."
Uh, no, it won't. Bethesda replied and said basically nothing is changing, if microsoft actually has a problem with it(which I hope they do) they can't do a damn thing but be pissed off at bethesda and whine.  getting an achievement in the first place isn't feeling like you "achieved" shit in the first place anyway, its just a thing that pops up on the screen that rewards you nothing. If anyone wants to do this , go for it.