Either neither, or both? (current gen consoles)

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

Poll Either neither, or both? (current gen consoles) (255 votes)

Xbox One only 8%
PS 4 only 27%
Both Xbox One and PS 4 23%
Neither 40%

There was some talk at the end of yesterday's bombcast about what proportion of gamers owned either vs both of the main current gen consoles.

As I recall, Jeff seemed to think that there weren't that many gamers that owned both consoles whereas Dan thought that the number that did was significant.

We might not be representative of the broader gaming demographic but I thought that it might be interesting to see what the console ownership situation is among duders.

• 
TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By TobbRobb

I'll get one of them when there are games on it. As it stands now, it might be a while. I'm on souls hiatus, so the only real exlcusive I want (Bloodborne) would have to wait even if I did have a PS4, so both consoles are expensive paperweights as far as I'm concerned.

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I own both but I barely play them. The PS4 has way better PS Plus games, so I play that more often.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Right now I have the PS4 only but eventually I will likely own the Xbox One & Wii U as well. I can wait.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

PC only, I'm skipping this generation.

Hi_Im_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have both. I like the exclusives on the xbox better then what the ps4 has to offer. That being said I spend alot more time on the ps4 because my xbox is constantly crashing having controller sync problems.

Ngilko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently I have a ps4 and a wii u.

In all honesty the ps4 hasn't been used since bloodbourne.

In terms of current use in my house by me and my girlfriend (from most to least)

Xbox 360

Wii u

PS3

Ps4

limond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sticking with my aging PC. Plenty of games I own but have yet to play on it so far. However If Horizon: Zero Dawn comes out to great reviews I will have to give some serious thought about buying a PS4. Something about that game pressed all the right buttons for me when I watched it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I think Jeff is right. the PC has changed things this gen and honestly there are just that many reasons to own either at this point, let alone both

I think for people affluent and hardcore enough to own 2 consoles, the PC or even the WiiU is a more likely second (or first) than either the PS4 or Xbox One. There just aren't that many killer exclusives on consoles anymore if you have one you probably don't really need the other. The multi plats coming to PC with decent ports (with the exception of Akrham Knight obviously) is a big game changer.

there's going to be people who will own both of course, but I suspect it's far smaller number than it was last gen

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I have all consoles and I play PC all the time. I'm a crazy person, so I had to buy them anyway.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10 FinalDasa  Moderator

Either one. If you want to get another console I'd say get a Wii U. Neither console has a strong exclusive library at the moment and so there isn't a big reason to get one over the other. Pick out which exclusive games you do prefer and buy that console.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ThePanzini

@slag said:

I think Jeff is right. the PC has changed things this gen and honestly there are just that many reasons to own either at this point, let alone both

I think for people affluent and hardcore enough to own 2 consoles, the PC or even the WiiU is a more likely second (or first) than either the PS4 or Xbox One. There just aren't that many killer exclusives on consoles anymore if you have one you probably don't really need the other. The multi plats coming to PC with decent ports (with the exception of Akrham Knight obviously) is a big game changer.

there's going to be people who will own both of course, but I suspect it's far smaller number than it was last gen

PC hasn't changed anything the vast majority of AAA games are bought on console. PC vs console is a pendulum that swings towards the PC at the end of the generation once new console sales kick in pubs stop giving a damn about PC.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@slag said:

PC hasn't changed anything the vast majority of AAA games are bought on console. PC vs console is a pendulum that swings towards the PC at the end of the generation once new console sales kick in pubs stop giving a damn about PC.

That certainly used to be true, not so much this gen

You might be surprised, according to Ubisoft's last Q1 report to investors their games sold better on PC than Xbox One (PS4 is first overall) which was a change from the previous quarters/year. They also noted that digital downloads now also outsold Physical copies for the first time in company history

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: Ubisoft Q1 was revenue not sales which was overall down 73% YOY PC accounted for 11% of total Ubi sales last year, this years big hitters are still to come. Digital was all platforms in a quarter with next to none retail games released.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#14 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Before last week, I would have voted neither, but I bought an XONE. I will eventually buy a PS4 as well.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

There are plenty of games worth playing this generation, but if you've got a good PC, you can get the best versions of most of them there so far.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Currently only have an Xbox One for the exclusives (Halo, Forza, Gears, plus whatever else), but I plan on getting a PS4 later on. Probably when Black Friday hits so I can get in on the Bloodborne action. I've got a PC where I do most of my gaming anyways so I'm not missing out on too many games.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

out of the options i only have the ps4 and im properly never going to buy an xbox one. not that there is anything wrong with the xbox its just that i cant justify buying another console and a ton of games when i already got so many options for playing and should use that money for something better. wow that sounds dick'ish but thats how i meant it

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither at least for now. I think I'll probably get a Mass Effect Andromeda special edition PS4 if they sell them though.

Avatar image for deactivated-61b64fdbd7632
deactivated-61b64fdbd7632

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Just PC and some WiiU for cool arcade fun.

Calmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both. I also use PC and WiiU. Haven't regretted any of these purchases.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Canteu

I only own a PS4 for some very specific exclusives. Currently 100% of my gaming is done on PC. This will change when Disgaea, FFXV and a few select other games come out, but won't last longer than finishing those titles. I will never own an Xbone.

With the current state of PC gaming I see no reason to use my PS4 at all beyond exclusives.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I love games way too much to write any console off entirely, and so should you ya damn heathens!

I will try my best to get them all one day. When that day comes is another thing entirely.

Current trajectory:

WiiU - next year, depending on NX news
XB1 - unknowable future time after price drop

Gonna upgrade my PC next year so there's that too.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

All three. I'm a dirty console gamer.

Rocko2920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am mainly a pc gamer but one day i got bored so i bought a Xbox One, Ps4 and a Wii U in the same day. I rarely turn them on lol.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ZolRoyce

I love games way too much to write any console off entirely, and so should you ya damn heathens!

I will try my best to get them all one day. When that day comes is another thing entirely.

Current trajectory:

WiiU - next year, depending on NX news

XB1 - unknowable future time after price drop

Gonna upgrade my PC next year so there's that too.

That is pretty much where I am at as well, got the PS4, want the WiiU and XB1 as well though, I love games, consoles have exclusive games, soooo gotta get them consoles! And having a good PC is great as well.
Money and time are always factors of course, sales and what not, and as was mentioned the NX to see what that is all about. But gaming is my main hobby, so, gotta catch 'em all!

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might get one in a few years when it's cheap and there are plenty of exclusives. RIght now it would only serve to clutter up my apartment. I have too much stuff as it is.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbox one only for me right now. There has been one interesting game they've shown for ps4 so far and Im not about to drop $400 for one game. i'll probably wait for a price drop and revision. Gonna get a WiiU and new graphics card this year though!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Neither. I don't feel any need to have consoles. I have my 3DS for portable gaming and my PC for everything else.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got a PS4 at launch, and got a Xbone a couple months ago cause I was able to get a great deal on a refurbished bundle (290 Canadian with Tax) and I knew I was going to get one eventually.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Neither. PC only for now. I will get a WiiU eventually, and I do want an Xbox One now. That is solely because of Rare Replay though, and I can't really justify buying an entire console just for that one. Other than that there is nothing that interest me on consoles these days.

ajgorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have both of them, plus the Wii U.

My problem with PC gaming, and that lead-in to this sentence sounds more inflammatory than I mean it to, but my problem is that while I know I can make a PC that can objectively run games better than either console and from there it's fantastic with cheaper game prices, I lack the restraint to buy a middle of the road graphics card. And if I go on a website to select parts, I'm going to be drawn to the biggest and best of everything. That isn't so much a problem with PC as it is with me, but it's why I don't want to go down that rabbit hole. I just know myself. Too many options.

For that reason, I'm sticking to the consoles for the foreseeable future. Each individual is going to have their own questions about whether the two consoles we're talking about here have enough compelling differences to own both, and I guess at the moment that's still a tough decision. If you're using Console A for multi-platform games for whatever reason, does Console B have enough unique to warrant buying it as well? Everybody has different thresholds.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

PC only for me as well. I'll consider a console in two or three years maybe when they're cheaper and have a backlog of games. Until then, PC is all I need.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I own everything because there are games I wanted on every platform.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both ps4 and xbone.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajgorak: All you need to do is go on that website. Buy the middle/top tier (make you feel good range) of parts and then you don't have to care for 5+ years knowing you are seeing games and playing them at a level that consoles cannot match. I've had this build of my comp for over 3 years and still no worry, but I admit I do like to play through all sorts of older games and accessible Valve and Blizzard titles. Plus the price difference on games makes up for it.

I have a PS3 and Wii, but am way more dedicated to my PC so that is where my games live. Still have over 75 Steam games I still need to even play(let alone the 200 to play to completion)...so I'm basically just waiting for the VR evolution really. If i were to get a new console it would probably be an Xbox1 at this point, but only if this backwards compatibility works out well, just so I could play old games I might have missed. Another $50-100 off would help push me over that edge.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By Sergio

I own all the consoles, but I would still side with Jeff. I only bought the Xbox One because it was on sale, and I was hoping they eventually release an exclusive I'm interested in.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just recently bought my xbone 1TB MCC, i have had my PS4 since launch day. Now i don't regret buying the xbone and games work well i like the controller, but i absolutely hate interacting with it, i hate the dash board, i hate the store, i hate looking at achievements everything that was smooth and easy on the 360 is fucking nightmare on the xbone. Its also crazy that you can't use a fully wireless headset with the xbone, having a cord between my controller and headset is frustrating to me. (currently using Astro A50'S) And now having hands on with both consoles i truly believe overall the PS4 is a much better console.

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By burgavo

I love how 90% of the people here saw the thread title and then immediately felt the need mention they only game on PC. It's like when xbox live or PSN is down and everybody helpfully tells you their steam is working fine.

I do all my computing on a macbook and building a PC just to play games seemed like a pretty big money sink (I wouldn't have the self restraint to not go all out) so I went for the cheaper option and I bought a ps4 to play games. It's ok

Edit: I do NOT however own any turtleneck sweaters.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I liked the Xbox 360 last gen, but now I'm more into the PS 4. Maybe because of the games I could not play that I can now (I didn't have a PS 3) like Journey or The Last of Us or God of War 3. It's all about the games man, buy a console that has the exclusives you want to play. Don't if there are none.

gennah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sticking with PS3 and PC for now. PS4 is on my radar, but I'm waiting to import a Persona 5 edition or something like that.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@burgavo said:

I love how 90% of the people here saw the thread title and then immediately felt the need mention they only game on PC.

It's an option in the poll, why not mention it? Look at the numbers, 40% of respondents don't even own a current gen console. Of course it's going to come up as a topic of discussion.

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By burgavo

@mb: well yes and no, the question was either, neither or both, I get that probably most people on the site are mainly using a PC, so yes neither could be interpreted as the pc option, but I read it as the last gen console option, since the original question was to gauge current gen console ownership.

Anyway its all fine, It's just something I noticed while skimming through the answers and thought was funny

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ThePanzini
@tehbull said:

@ajgorak: All you need to do is go on that website. Buy the middle/top tier (make you feel good range) of parts and then you don't have to care for 5+ years knowing you are seeing games and playing them at a level that consoles cannot match. I've had this build of my comp for over 3 years and still no worry, but I admit I do like to play through all sorts of older games and accessible Valve and Blizzard titles. Plus the price difference on games makes up for it.

I have a PS3 and Wii, but am way more dedicated to my PC so that is where my games live. Still have over 75 Steam games I still need to even play(let alone the 200 to play to completion)...so I'm basically just waiting for the VR evolution really. If i were to get a new console it would probably be an Xbox1 at this point, but only if this backwards compatibility works out well, just so I could play old games I might have missed. Another $50-100 off would help push me over that edge.

The below is nonsense to most gamers and when you have so much hardware choice it cripples your average consumer.

Witcher 3 System Requirements

Minimum:

• Processor: Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz / AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
    • Memory: 6 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660 / AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
    • Hard Drive: 35 GB available space

Recommended:

• Processor: Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz / AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770 / AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
    • Hard Drive: 35 GB available space

Steam / PC is not that much cheaper in EU.

Witcher 3

Amazon PC Online Code £34.49 ($53.77), Amazon PS4 / XB1 £38.86 ($60.58) and Steam £49.99 ($77.93)

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#44  Edited By extintor

so the current take-homes on this poll are that... (approximately)

* ~4 out of 10 giant bomb users do not currently own either of the main current gen console platforms

* ~1 out of 10 only own an Xbox one

* ~3 out of 10 only own a PS4

* ~2 out of 10 own both an Xbox One and a PS4

or put another way, roughly ~30% of voting duders own an Xbox one and ~50% own a PS4 at this point.