ESPN debates Kobe Bryant in Black Ops commercial

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By gla55jAw

No link yet as it just aired. ESPN 2's First take (a show where they debate different topics), just debated Kobe Bryant's appearance in a Call of Duty: Black Ops commercial, that I'm sure most of us have seen. 

Basically what they were saying is that Kobe Bryant with an assault rifle is not a good thing for his or the NBA's image. I personally think they're just trying to create some buzz with a scandal. One of the debater's said it would be more of a problem if this was, and I quote "Grand Theft Auto 57", which has street violence instead of soldier violence, which would be a problem with NBA fans. I do give credit to the host who basically said, it's just a video game and people have been playing these for years where they do things that they wouldn't normally do. 

When I saw they commercial I thought nothing of it. Just wondering anyone's thoughts if they saw this commercial or debate.

Oh and the best part is during the commercial break right after, the commercial came on.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Meowshi

Well, that's stupid.

Moving on.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mesoian

Must be hockey night.

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Kibblez

It's only a problem for the NBA's image if a mess of conversative fuck-heads completely mis-represent the campy value of that and blow the ad out of proportion, which thankfully hasn't happened yet. It's just one of those things that people have come to expect in recent years. I think the percentage of the COD audience with the NBA audience understands that it's meant to be very light-hearted. I hate to say it, but this is post-modern advertising at its most post-moderny. 

That said, I'm pretty sure the NBA has to cover its ass in a lot of places when it comes to its 'image,' although I don't think this is the thing to get upset over.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Doctorchimp
@gla55jAw: What? 

First and 10 right? I missed it today, who was the guest and what did Skip say? 

I'll agree with the guy who said it'd be a problem if it was a GTA though. As the host (Jay? Dana?) said though it's just a game no one cares. 

EDIT: also just wanted to add, as weird as that commercial is and even though I'll probably never pop in Black Ops I thought it was great.
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gla55jAw
@Doctorchimp said:
" @gla55jAw: What?  First and 10 right? I missed it today, who was the guest and what did Skip say?  I'll agree with the guy who said it'd be a problem if it was a GTA though. As the host (Jay? Dana?) said though it's just a game no one cares.  EDIT: also just wanted to add, as weird as that commercial is and even though I'll probably never pop in Black Ops I thought it was great. "
It was the Third Down Debate I believe. The guest was some guy I never saw before. It was Dana and Skip otherwise. The guest was the one talking about the street violence stuff, but also said that he played it at a friend's house and "slit some throat's and killed Castro" and is just a game. Skip was baffled as to how Kobe would have thought being in a commercial smiling and shooting a gun could be a good thing. Dana was the one saying that kids play this and know it's not real.
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gla55jAw

Also good on Kobe for donating $1 million to the Call of Duty Endowment for returning soldiers, for doing the commercial.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Doctorchimp
@gla55jAw: Yeah I figured as much. 
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By sixghost

Well, as you'll learn if you possess the ability to think critically, and watch ESPN for more than 10 minutes, that channel is filled with morons. Also, I wonder if this topic ever gets brought up if it's Brett Favre or Dirk in the commercial instead of Kobe. Lol @ that straw man argument as well. "WELL WHAT IF IT WAS GTA AND HE WAS KILLING PEOPLE ON THE STREETS?"  Uh... it wasn't?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Branthog

Douche bags I've never heard of on a network I don't care about complaining about a guy I don't care about in a commercial sport (ie, a business and a company) I don't care about and how his involvement in a video game promotion (people still watch commercials?!) will tarnish his image (as an ass-raper?) or that of his employer (not much better than ass-rapers). Somehow, I think I'll live no matter what any of them have to say about anything.  

By the way, I had heard about this commercial before and thought it was supposed to be filled with famous people? Was every person in that commercial a "known" person? I recognized Jimmy Kimmel and Kobe, but that was it. 

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jack268

The best part is the pizza guy or whatever he is (he is on the image of the video OP linked). Such a cold ass motherfucker. 

Oh yeah, Kobe with the toob has ruined my view of NBA forever.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gla55jAw
@sixghost said:

" Well, as you'll learn if you possess the ability to think critically, and watch ESPN for more than 10 minutes, that channel is filled with morons. Also, I wonder if this topic ever gets brought up if it's Brett Favre or Dirk in the commercial instead of Kobe. Lol @ that straw man argument as well. "WELL WHAT IF IT WAS GTA AND HE WAS KILLING PEOPLE ON THE STREETS?"  Uh... it wasn't? "

That guy was trying to make things dramatic haha. Yeah I know ESPN is filled with morons, but I still watch it because they're interesting morons.

@Branthog

I think those 2 are the only celebs.
Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Quacktastic

They are just trying to fill time with something to talk about.  No one actually gives a shit -- not even people who think they do.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

I also saw a news story where everyone was up in arms over the ability to kill Castro in the game 

Call of Duty just has a target on its back just like GTA does, its the poster child for video games so assholes go after it.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

People need to realize life doesn't operate on these stupid binaries like "violent video games create violence in society." It doesn't work like that. And that argument is fucking asinine. 

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Toxin066

Bryant. Mowing down fools on and off the court.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@gla55jAw said:
"Basically what they were saying is that Kobe Bryant with an assault rifle is not a good thing for his or the NBA's image
"
stopped reading there.. a bunch of bullshit for attention, like u said
Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hunkulese

They kind of have a valid point considering their biggest scandal last year was having NBA players treating guns as toys. Commercial would have been better with Gilbert Arenas in it.

tweetspot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By tweetspot

here you go... http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=keown/101116    

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I think it's one of the coolest cameos ever and I love Kobe even more for getting in on this. THE BLACK MAMBA!

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#21  Edited By falconer

Don't forget that multiple Call of Duty trailers have premiered during prime time basketball games in the past. I think it's cool that he's in there. He's probably the biggest name in it, and the point of the commercial is to show that "yo, EVERYONE plays this shit!" 

Not to mention Skip is effing crazy. He's either right, or insanely wrong. This time being the later.

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Turtlemayor333

For years the hosts for Cold Pizza/First Take have basically admitted that Skip just rolls with whatever the "me against the world" opinion is at the time, regardless of how crazy it might be. For years he hates on Lebron, and now that everybody seems to hate the guy for going to Miami, Skip is slowly starting to see him as more of a Magic Johnson type player.

Normal people see this as either kind of cool or nothing at all. Nobody is really thinking about the gangsta image of the NBA when they see this ad. Phony outrage is what keeps a show like this going. Usually I would feel deceived but they practically tell you to your face that the guy is going to troll you, so for some reason I'm okay with it.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Milkman

Isn't Skip Bayless on that show? Also known as the biggest fucking hack in the sports industry? Yeah, I'm not concerned.