Everquest Next Keynote : Now Live

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Darji

For people who want to the next generation of MMOs go and have a look at Everquest next reveal which is streamed right now^^

http://www.twitch.tv/soe/

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Currently, they're talking about how Everquest has impacted people's lives.

Then they will show what multiple gaming news sites just released ten minutes ago. Not sure if it's the real next gen of MMOs, but it's a start.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The twitch comments disgust me.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently, they're talking about how Everquest has impacted people's lives.

Then they will show what multiple gaming news sites just released ten minutes ago. Not sure if it's the real next gen of MMOs, but it's a start.

I have not watched these previews so I am going fresh in it XD

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This is the saddest and stupidest fucking thing I have ever watched.

"We are in the process of adopting 2 little boys. This would have never happened if it wasn't for Everquest." WTF?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now for sand painting!

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching this elaborate Wooly Willy beard drawing is amazing.... -_-

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb said:

Watching this elaborate Wooly Willy beard drawing is amazing.... -_-

Hey now, there's clearly more to it than that. It's weird for an introduction, but it's kind of cool, as well. Seems very... EverQuest.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im a dragon!

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zero interest in this. That was until

Now for sand painting!

Ok, i'm in.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I wish SOE would working on a massively single player game, like a Skyrim, Dragons Dogma, etc. MMOs have this tiny issue of having other people in them, other people are widely considered idiots (from Old French idiote) so it would be cool if they could be removed from an Everquest game.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb said:

"We are in the process of adopting 2 little boys. This would have never happened if it wasn't for Everquest." WTF?

They met in Everquest so yes would have never happened with these two. People take MMO'S often very seriously. Friendships are being formed, realtionships and even marriage. I also met my today best friend in FFXI XD

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Based on GameSpot's write up of it, this is sounding a whole lot like the T'Rain MMO from Reamde (basically a mix of WOW's general gameplay, Minecraft's level of player creation and destructibility and an EVE level of player-driven economy). Could be completely awesome if it works out.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Oh gosh. Cool. :)

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@tycobb said:

They met in Everquest so yes would have never happened with these two. People take MMO'S often very seriously. Friendships are being formed, realtionships and even marriage. I also met my today best friend in FFXI XD

Don't get me wrong. I understand the power of MMOs have on affecting lives like this. I played FFXI for years. I just didn't agree on the way they said it and sounded really bad lol

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if everquest will ever come to PS4 like planetside 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Hmm Everquest or The International 2013...

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The twitch comments disgust me.

The average IQ is in the low 50s.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eurogamer has their preview live:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-02-everquest-next-preview

I think from a purely aesthetic stand point it looks fantastic.

Wow yeah, rich gallup was right when he said it reminded him of copernicus, which also had a great look to it. They're currently talking about procedurally generated stuff in the game that sounds really cool.

Definitely going to keep up with this game.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup this game looks neat.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit. This presentation. I am just asking how the hell is this possible. If it all works like advertised than DAMN!!!!

This is fantastic and truly a next generation of MMO's

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some amazing ideas. But the game seems to be a long way of. I'm also worried about the combat direction, the thing showed at the end didn't inspire confidence, it looked button-mashy and seemed like it would get boring fast.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew a guy that was seriously addicted to Everquest. Best thing to ever happen to him was when his PC died and he had no money to replace it.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best part about the presentation was when the characters did emotes. That looked pretty cool; it reminded me of the expressions of characters in Bioshock Infinite; if that works well with just a basic web-cam then that's a noteworthy achievement.

The combat looked messy. I mean. Smoke. Explosions. And that was two player characters and 1 boss and you couldn't see shit during this demo. Lots of over-the-top moves which I can appreciate but to have those animations play over and over; I don't know it could become one of those "oh cool move" at first, but then "meh get on with it!" after you've seen a move for the tenth time.

The graphics looked okay; the worst part was when they were showing off the vaulting and basically the traversing of terrain. Sure it is early days still but that looked pretty much like "MMO"-movement (bad association); in that characters were clipping a lot and snapping-to their preset animations instead of dynamically adapting and reacting to whatever terrain they were facing.

I like the ideas of the "Rally calls", but how engage will a player be in defending for example the city in the demo for three months. Three Months. The time estimate was of course just an example of what time frames we're looking at but still; I'm not going to hang around a fucking NPC city for three whole months; just to know that the devs could decide to blow it up the day after we repelled the end-stage army. It seemed at first like a fun way to create the world; to help new cities emerge and prosper; but utterly pointless if the devs just decide they want to remove it; sucks for the people who invested a lot of time into it. Maybe players will be rewarded handsomely as the event progresses but still... it will be hard for most people to feel like they truly participated in something when the scope of time is this long and so many players will be able to nibble at it; you'll basically be one among thousands of players to help make something either happen or not happen.

Not sure this is a huge step in any direction worth taking to be honest, but I'll happily read up on it again once we know more.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#26  Edited By Kidavenger
Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we need like a dry spell. A decade of zero MMORPGs in order for us to be able to see whether we really miss them at all.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we need like a dry spell. A decade of zero MMORPGs in order for us to be able to see whether we really miss them at all.

Why? If you need it you can stay away from them for a decade. The changes they are doing sound incredible. No leveling no meaning less grinds, Rather get new skills and stuff through dynamic quests that change the world you play in. Also that mobs like orcs are not attack same spot over and over again but rather seeking a spot to "live" is brilliant. The way of multiple layers is a fantastic idea as well

The question is if they can do all that. If so we have a true gamechanger here.

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm getting like, zero sound from the SOE twitch.

Avatar image for houseofballoons
HouseOfBalloons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee said:

I knew a guy that was seriously addicted to Everquest. Best thing to ever happen to him was when his PC died and he had no money to replace it.

Have you read some of the other stories? Shit, people lost their family over that game.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sdharrison

To rain on this parade:

I feel like I hear the same claims every single time an MMO comes out.

"WE'RE DIFFERENT! NO GRIND! YOU EFFECT THE WORLD! EPIC BATTLES! PLAYER INFLUENCE! FREEFORM GAMEPLAY!"

Bla bla ba. Too many questions, not enough answers. You can't let players have control, because it leads to grief play. You can't have no grinding or leveling because a game needs progression. It can be dressed up differently, but you still need to have it. You can't let players have fully destructable environments, because then every environment will be destroyed.

I'm sure it will be a great game, but I hate hearing the same things over and over and over again.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IF that game comes together, then yea that could be pretty amazing. sounds extremely ambitious

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By ajamafalous

@sdharrison said:

To rain on this parade:

"WE'RE DIFFERENT! NO GRIND! YOU EFFECT THE WORLD! EPIC BATTLES! PLAYER INFLUENCE! FREEFORM GAMEPLAY!"

Bla bla ba. Too many questions, not enough answers. You can't let players have control, because it leads to grief play. You can't have no grinding or leveling because a game needs progression. It can be dressed up differently, but you still need to have it. You can't let players have fully destructable environments, because then every environment will be destroyed.

I'm sure it will be a great game, but I hate hearing the same things over and over and over again.

Yeah, feel like the same thing, though I haven't read a writeup or watched the stream yet, but just going by what people are saying in this thread, it sounds like a lot of the claims they were throwing around when GW2 was launching. DYNAMIC EVENTS WITH WORLD INFLUENCE = event that cycles every 5-30 minutes and if nobody is there to do it then you have to take a 45 second detour around a broken bridge.

There are a handful of neat ideas being thrown around, but I feel like every MMO since WoW has tried to sell itself as being different and having a bunch of neat new and fresh ideas, but they fail to deliver on them almost every single time.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Can you order pizza?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sdharrison said:

To rain on this parade:

Yeah, feel like the same thing, though I haven't read a writeup or watched the stream yet, but just going by what people are saying in this thread, it sounds like a lot of the claims they were throwing around when GW2 was launching. DYNAMIC EVENTS WITH WORLD INFLUENCE = event that cycles every 5-30 minutes and if nobody is there to do it then you have to take a 45 second detour around a broken bridge.

There are a handful of neat ideas being thrown around, but I feel like every MMO since WoW has tried to sell itself as being different and having a bunch of neat new and fresh ideas, but they fail to deliver on them almost every single time.

No these are longtime effects and causes. For example a public quests goes on for 3 months. Here is what they promised.

Public quest. Set up a settlement in some era. This will take 3 months real time. In these 3 months you can decide what to do. For example you could invest and scout the area and kill all the Orcs there. However if you kill all the orcs and they will all move you could anger the Goblin King who will than attack your settlement which will end up in a siege. And you have to defend the town or city other people are "building" All the stuff has far more consequences IF i will work like they promised. There wont be any guides because everything will be different every time since the "result" is based on many players decisions over 3 months.

This is at least what they are promising. If this will work we will see but if it works than it is indeed a game changer.