Everything about this new ASUS gaming phone is weird

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Ever want to spend a crapload of money on a phone that can play Android games? Well, ASUS is apparently going to be launching something right up your alley. It's got a million weird attachments, including a clip-on cooling fan (!):

No Caption Provided

Also there's "a clip-on game controller, a crazy Nintendo DS-style dual-screen clamshell attachment, and a desktop dock that allows the phone to power a monitor, mouse, and keyboard."

No Caption Provided

I mean, I play a few games here and there on my Android devices, but I've never run into anything that required a damn cooling fan or a MKB to be played optimally. I'm really curious who they think is going to buy all this junk. At best it might be an alternative to an NVIDIA Shield for a Steam Link setup, but...it's still weird.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Finally a way to play asphalt 9 on the big screen like I always wanted!

But seriously I don't know who this is for. Not the hardcore games crowd nor the casual game playing mobile crowd cause I bet you this thing is EXPENSIVE.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BabyChooChoo

This almost seemed like a cool idea for people who travel a fuck ton, but then I remembered laptops exist and also this runs Android sooo yeah I'm not sure who this is for. It seems like they're trying to make their own version of the Switch, but with all the extra shit you have to buy to make it a bearable gaming platform on top of the base cost, I fail to see why anyone wouldn't just buy a Switch instead.

I kinda like when companies do weird shit like this like at CES last year or the year before whenever everyone under the sun had those insane laptops with multiple screens and pullout extensions, but I always wonder if they expect to make money on shit like that and if they do, who are all the people buying it?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I mean, I can justify the Razer Phone since it's competitively priced along side other flagship phones. So, if this thing is gonna be around $700 or $800 at most, okay. I personally don't use a phone intensely enough to go beyond mid-range performance, but the enthusiast market and tech tubers have something to look at and make videos about. But a grand or even $900? Nope. I'm pretty sure that it might be a better value than the iPhone X, but I don't see those price points going over very well.

Anthony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

With PUBG coming out for phones I think there could be a market there. Too bad the phone looks so goofy.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're a Clip on Game Controller !

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthony said:

With PUBG coming out for phones I think there could be a market there. Too bad the phone looks so goofy.

ASUS can't make good looking products any more. But let's be honest neither can 90% of the other tech companies.

TheRealSeaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, I can justify the Razer Phone since it's competitively priced along side other flagship phones. So, if this thing is gonna be around $700 or $800 at most, okay. I personally don't use a phone intensely enough to go beyond mid-range performance, but the enthusiast market and tech tubers have something to look at and make videos about. But a grand or even $900? Nope. I'm pretty sure that it might be a better value than the iPhone X, but I don't see those price points going over very well.

I hate where the phone market is going, flagship prices have gone up a lot and now Android makers are copying the iPhone X notch which is a fuckin' gross design choice.

"No, no, we are not gonna copy any of the good stuff the iPhone has going for it, let's copy the worst stuff".

The war on headphone jacks is stupid too. I use BT headphones but having a jack is great for peace of mind whenever I don't have my QC35s (usually I always have cheap earbuds in my bag).

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@anthony said:

ASUS can't make good looking products any more. But let's be honest neither can 90% of the other tech companies.

What happened to classy and understated?

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do “gamer” devices all have to look so edgy? I had a hell of a time trying to find a gaming mouse at Best Buy that didn’t look like an edged weapon.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Dan_CiTi

In a world where there are decent gaming laptops that aren't hulking machines, the Switch, Vita, and 3DS exist....this seems more like an april fool's joke than anything.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can understand that gaming laptops have to be bulky but why does this phone looks like that?

TheRealSeaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do “gamer” devices all have to look so edgy? I had a hell of a time trying to find a gaming mouse at Best Buy that didn’t look like an edged weapon.

Because they're all trying to be aerodynamic for some reason

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, I actually kinda like the look of the phone. At least it's different looking from all the other black monoliths that is pretty much the standard for phones these days.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meierthered said:
@anthony said:

What happened to classy and understated?

Guess it wen't out the window for most of these companies when their PR departments thought that the word "gamer" should be associated with tacky and disco lights.

Jetlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything has to look like a Michael Bay Transformer now for some reason.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By FacelessVixen
@therealseaman said:
@facelessvixen said:

I hate where the phone market is going, flagship prices have gone up a lot and now Android makers are copying the iPhone X notch which is a fuckin' gross design choice.

"No, no, we are not gonna copy any of the good stuff the iPhone has going for it, let's copy the worst stuff".

The war on headphone jacks is stupid too. I use BT headphones but having a jack is great for peace of mind whenever I don't have my QC35s (usually I always have cheap earbuds in my bag).

Yeah, as someone who is in the market for a new phone, it is pretty fucked up that I have to check to see if a phone has a headphone jack these days. Like, that shouldn't be a thing that needs conformation, especially since smartphones were the direct replacement for iPods and other personal/portable media players! And I'm avoiding phones with notches (which was a thing that Apple got from Essential Phone as Apple continues to be the Dane Cook of the tech industry), 18:9 aspect ratios as if phones having bezels are cancerous all of a sudden, and all of those other gimmicks that make me say that smartphones and the tech community are as bad as SoundCloud and mumble rappers when it comes to being trendy just for the sake of being trendy while rarely bringing anything significantly meaningful to their respective fields.