Excited About No Man's Sky? Check this out!

reelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By reelife

So there's been a lot of talk about No Man's Sky since the VGX happened and why wouldn't you? Move freely across an ENTIRE galaxy? Land on any planet? It's the space nuts fantasy. I was so hyped up for this that I just couldn't wait for it. So after spending about 2 minutes googling across the interwebz (procedurally generated space game) I came across this.

Some guys over at this website http://en.spaceengine.org/ are developing something larger than No Man's Sky. Move freely across millions of galaxies... and the best part? You can download the early version of the engine and try it out for free. You can also download a bunch of mods on the forums (spaceships etc).

I found this planet in the galaxy whilst exploring

No Caption Provided

Let me know what you think about this engine / soon to be videogame, also show me what you find in the galaxy :D cheers

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Things always seem to break/crash when I try to get on a planet =(

Anyway, this is one of my desktop backgrounds:

No Caption Provided

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

yeah space engine is pretty impressive

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

How long before we can add people to those planets, and build cities?

In fact, it would be amazing if we could build our entire solar system, every meteor, every space rock. And then build every town and city on the world, and create the people, give them an AI, and then after so long they start to figure out their own paths, and then not long after that they're doing the exact same things in the virtual world that the real ones are doing here.

Now fast forward the program, see who wins the next super-bowl, the next kentucky derby, the next olympics, and place your bets. =D

reelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@budwyzer said:

In fact, it would be amazing if we could build our entire solar system, every meteor, every space rock. And then build every town and city on the world, and create the people, give them an AI, and then after so long they start to figure out their own paths, and then not long after that they're doing the exact same things in the virtual world that the real ones are doing here.

Now fast forward the program, see who wins the next super-bowl, the next kentucky derby, the next olympics, and place your bets. =D

Yeah, that sort of thinking is frightening ;p

reelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By reelife

Just found a moon with life in a galaxy far far away. Got some nice Aurora Borealis in the atmosphere too.

No Caption Provided
Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Budwyzer

@reelife said:

@budwyzer said:

Yeah, that sort of thinking is frightening ;p

maybe so, but the thought of watching myself watching myself while watching myself makes me hard as a fuckin' rock!

Then again it's this kind of thinking that breaks the system and makes it impossible. If you have multiple monitors to view multiples layers of yourself and decide you want to watch 5 episodes of different shows at the same time, but don't know what show you should watch that the "program" won't pick, you can decide on 5 shows and choose a different one after your first layer down chooses one.

Then again, when does it ever start? Who is actually the first layer? Are you sure that you are not a program?

The Thirteenth Floor, goddamn epicness

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@budwyzer said:

You just sort of (unintentionally?) described the whole backstory to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By vaiz

@budwyzer said:

The moment we can do that, we have to start reconsidering our own existence a bit, don't we.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By kraznor

They brought this up on Idle Thumbs quite awhile ago. The version I had didn't have landing on planets as far as I can recall. It seemed neat but kind of pointless. No real mechanics or incentive to see much. Found myself booting it up for a minute or two and then just turning it off. If it actually turns into something, cool, but that can be said of all kinds of unfinished things. At least they aren't charging for it already.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By erhard

So it wasn't all lost in a flood?

EDIT: Nevermind, saw now that it's from a different game.