Experience using mouse on console with non-shooters

aznan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

I'm looking into getting one of those peripherals that allows one to use a mouse and keyboard on a console, like the Hori TAC 4/Pro or XIM 4. Not because I want to up my headshot game, but as a kind of accessibility device. Recently I can't really use my right thumb much, which makes handling a controller difficult. I mostly play games on the PC, but I'd like to be able to play some console exclusives, like Final Fantasy VII or Ghost of Tsushima.

Every review of these devices naturally focus on using them with fps games, but I'd like to know if anyone has any experience using them with games of other genres. My main concern is that outside of shooters, the camera turn speed is probably tuned way lower and that this would make it really annoying to control with a mouse - possibly even leading to some arm strain, since you'd have to reposition the mouse a lot if the camera can't keep up.

So, can anyone tell me what I'm in for and if this is a good idea or not?

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I can't speak from personal experience, but I would guess that the less sensitive camera shouldn't be too much of an issue. Obviously, a lot of games have options to adjust camera sensitivity, but even if they don't or the range isn't wide enough to get the camera movement speed to your liking, if you can adjust the dpi on the mouse, you should be able to get a good result. A quick google suggests the hori mouse does have adjustable dpi and if you use the XIM, that should work with whatever pc mouse with adjustable dpi (or probably at least a plug and play mouse that doesn't require its own special driver etc).

If you're unfamiliar with dpi settings in a mouse, it's basically a 'resolution' in Dots-Per-Inch for how sensitive the mouse is, how small a movement it can detect etc. An identical mouse movement with a higher dpi setting will move the cursor noticeably further.

If you went the XIM option and needed a mouse with the capability to switch dpi, you can get perfectly acceptable laser mice capable of this for pretty entry level prices. My mouse was the equivalent of about $20 US dollars and it's adjustable on the fly between 500/1000/1500/2000 dpi, it's driverless etc.

Boy, neither of those options seem terribly cheap though, have you looked into any other combinations of controller attachments and alternate ways of using/holding the controller etc. Sony did put out that thing recently that I think clips into the mic/headphone jack on the controller and adds two extra little paddle style buttons on the back of the controller. I wonder if there's any sort of configuration you could come up with that which might help? I haven't actually looked at the system level controller remapping on PS4, so I don't know how in-depth it is, ie allowing remapping of the sticks etc, but maybe there's some configuration there that might work for you.

Sorry to hear about your hand issue, I hope at least some of this can be of some help.