Expired GamerTag? pft...

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deusdigit

I had noticed that my Live account email had expired. so i logged in to check on my xbox live gamertag. little did i know, a account creation screen popped up. and i freaked out wondering why this was. so i called xbox live and found out that, even if you pay and don't use your account for so long. It can expire and never can be retrived. I'm not a fanboy by any means but this gives me another reason to Stay on PSN. I was getting excited because i actually had plans to use that gamertag on xbox live, but now that its gone. PSN for the Win.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

You're live account is tied to your live account, and if you don't login to that in a certain time period (a year I think it is, or 6 months) it expires. Now, unfortunately this means gamertags expire as well.

Why MS has not corrected this boggles the mind, but all you have to do to prevent it is log in to your account once in 6 months.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Had you not used that gamer tag in 6 months?

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Death_Unicorn:

Unfortunately due to a bug in the system (not sure if they fixed this one or not) you could log into the gamertag every day through your xbox, but if you dont log into your live account (IE log into xbox.com or your email etc) the account can still expire.
deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deusdigit

i still find it rather silly. I don't know if thats true entirely tho. i think i have not logged into it since Feb. but thats only  4 months. its because i didn't really need it at the time. But gamertags shouldn't Expire just like that. even if you pay for it. its ridiculous

especially to those who are in War and have live accounts. but they can still expire. you know what i mean?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

I'm pretty sure it only works like that if you register your Gamertag to a Hotmail / Live email instead of a 'real' email address.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By End_Boss
Diamond said:
I'm pretty sure it only works like that if you register your Gamertag to a Hotmail / Live email instead ... [more]
I was unaware that my Live account was not a real e-mail address. Evidently, all of the e-mails I get have been imaginary. Thank you for clearing this up for me.

To address the topic, it is super lame that that continues to happen. I don't know why that association between e-mail and gamertag was made in the first place.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I don't get the problem?  So pick a new name.  It's not like your profile itself is gone.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond
End_Boss said:
Diamond said: I'm pretty sure it only works like that if you register your Gamertag to a Hotmail / Live ... [more]
It's a good idea to never use 3rd party emails like Yahoo or Gmail for important stuff like accounts.  I'm sure if you read the Live email TOS they talk about deactivating accounts, but it's a shame they don't make it more clear for Xbox Live users.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#10  Edited By LordAndrew
End_Boss said:
Diamond said: I'm pretty sure it only works like that if you register your Gamertag to a Hotmail / Live ... [more]
He's referring to registering your Windows Live account using a separate e-mail account rather than using a Hotmail account. By bypassing Windows Live's e-mail service and using a separate service you no longer have to worry about your account expiring since Microsoft no longer has any way of knowing when your e-mail account was last used.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By JJOR64

Major Nelson posted on his blog about this issue.  If you don't long in for about 6 months, your account gets deleted.  I believe that they are trying to fix this issue the last time I knew.

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deusdigit

Thanks for informing me everyone. or Atleast giving me a heads up. What if i had a Gamerscore on that? OHHH man... thankfully i didn't

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Death_Unicorn

One more question, can you recover your gamertag via another e-mail? Sorry, it's just this is the first time I heard of this happening.
And yeah, just create a new account it's not thaaaaaat bad since you didn't have any gamerscore.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By penguindust

A few years ago, I moved and lost my access to high speed internet.  I suffered with dial-up for about a year and a half before rejoining the known universe.  During that time, I let my XBox Live account laps.  Why pay for the account when I have no idea when I will be able to use that account again?  When I did get broadband again, I called Xbox to reclaim my old gamertag and they told me I couldn't do that.  Once it lapses you can't get it back forever.  The woman on the phone understood and accepted my proof of who I was, but said it was against Microsoft policy to allow players to regain their old gamertags once those accounts have closed.  Blizzard doesn't do that, I don't know why Microsoft feels it needs to, but that's just how it goes.  I added a few digits to my old gamertag and that was acceptable, but I still would like my original "pure" version back if it is ever possible.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_A_Drain
@PenguinDust:

How does it work, did you lose all your achievements and everything, as in you had to take a completely new tag? Or did you still have your purchase history, achieves, and etc?

If you lose your purchase history and stuff, that's something that could merit a class action lawsuit.