Extra Life 2014 GB Team - Play Games, Heal Kids - Oct 25th

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

OK I'm in this year :D

http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=100471

Is there a particular 'start time' so I can try and match it from the UK?

I typically start at noon on the Saturday but you can do it whenever you want!

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

@mattyftm said:

I know sick kids are in a shitty situation wherever they are, but I'd like to be able to support a hospital a little closer to home.

Same, being Dutch I doubt I can add much value by actively joining the team.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104  Edited By mrcraggle

OK I'm in this year :D

http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=100471

Is there a particular 'start time' so I can try and match it from the UK?

I think the start time is pretty much up to you really as long as you do it for 24 hours and even then it's not too strict.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@nictel: My cousin Tom was born 13 weeks premature with severe bleeding in his brain, without Sick Kids hospital in Toronto Canada he would not be around. Both of his parents moved here from Holland about 8 years ago. You could play for that hospital.

thomblweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

TravistyOJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hey guys, I am in again this year! My goal is $1,000, I did $800 last year so I think I can make it.

This year, I will be playing 24 consoles in 24 hours.... and without using emulators!

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the OP going to be updated with everyone's Twitch/Donation pages?

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By matt

Is the OP going to be updated with everyone's Twitch/Donation pages?

I've decided not to do that this year. I didn't think it was that helpful and it made the first post super long.

tector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last year was absolutely fantastic, and raised a good amount of money for a good cause.

Can't wait for this year.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By VannaDwight

Hey duders, I just crossed $1000 raised. Things are looking good for reaching my goal this year.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By fattony12000

The Road to Extra Life 2014

Yo! Hey! What's up!?

So, yeah...I'm gonna play a bunch of video games each weekend (for four consecutive weekends) before Giant Bomb's main assault on Extra Life goes down on Saturday the 25th of October, 2014.

I consider this "endeavour" a warm up, of sorts, for that main card event. I want to try and get even more money raised for the benefit of Extra Life, as well as actually play more games that aren't a part of either the Perfect Dark or OverBlood series. Therefore, getting in some pre-Extra Life charity streaming seems like the way to go!

Thus, I cordially invite each and every one of you to drop in and tune out to the sights and sounds of some of these "Cool Games". I'd like you to vote on the four things you'd like to see me play, one thing per weekend. Starting on the weekend of the 27th of September. The chosen games will be played from beginning to end/I'll load up an old save and go from there. The stream might be done in blocks of multiple hours rather than a straight run of many consecutive hours.

Any and all proceeds will go towards the fantastic Extra Life charity + the Giant Bomb team total (we raised $122,972 last year!) + you may even get some free games out of the deal, too!

My Extra Life page: http://www.extra-life.org/participant/fattony12000

My Hitbox.tv stream page: http://www.hitbox.tv/Fattony12000

Comments or suggestions? Hit me up! https://twitter.com/Fattony12000

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Max

<>

HEY! OVER HERE! CLICK ON THIS THING DOWN BELOW TO VOTE!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1f3DvHARBnjFcOF_upkc5udPuqPHZzdjmpIDTygnSKfY/viewform

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By mrcraggle

@dwigtk: That's awesome duder, you're 60% of the way there before you've even begun.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrcraggle: @james_hayward: Thanks duders. Although being this far along this early it makes me slightly afraid of the promise I put into my donation goal:
"Also like last year we will add an extra 30 minutes of game play on top of the 24 hours for every $250 over the beginning $2000 goal."

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dwigtk: Haha, at this rate you'll be pulling a Desert Bus For Hope week long marathon :P

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrcraggle: Hey I guess if people keep donating, I will keep playing.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By cooljammer00

I'm considering joining this year just cause I need an excuse to play games for 24 hours.

edit: Do we know GB is doing Extra Life this year? I heard rumors from PAX Prime that the cast of Bombin the AM and the head of Vinnco Inc., the Small Businessman himself, will be flying into SF for something in October.

thomblweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By thomblweed

I'm going to have to do this on the 23rd October instead due to family commitments that I forgot about :/

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

So I did this last year and had a great time, and want to do it this year. However, I will be out of town the weekend of, and have tickets to concerts both the Saturday before and the Saturday after. Do you duders think I should just do it like two weeks later?

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinboy630: If you can't do the date then that's fine. I'm sure no one really cares as long as people donate.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

blzzzrrttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I'm very interested in participating this year but I've never actually tried streaming for more than 10 minutes. I would like to know if any of you duders could possibly guide me in the ways of setting up a stream and what equipment I might need before the event!

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By extintor
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Representing the USA, and captained by crick-expert J. GERSTMANN, meet 'GIANT BOMBERS', Don Bradman 2014's finest user-made team of cricketeers.

Get ready for maximum ball, 'sticks', and 'paddle' action as the bombers take on RUSSIA and CANADA in a three nation 20 over tournament.

WITNESS some of the finest cricketeering skills the world has ever seen.

Exact time to follow nearer the date, but the whole thing will be streamed to on my hitbox channel

More details about this, (+ other nonsense) appearing shortly on my extra life page.

Caravella & Gerstman open the batting
Caravella & Gerstman open the batting
Caught Scoops, bowled O'Dwyer
Caught Scoops, bowled O'Dwyer

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has this been posted yet? From Brad's Tumblr:

Anonymous said: Any plans to do a separate solo stream for Extra Life again? Really enjoyed the one you did last year.

We’re talking over our plans for that event now. Whatever other streams happen, I’d really like to do another 24-hour solo stream from home. There was something really satisfying about trying to keep myself going for that long by myself, and the borderline existential crisis that occurred around 3 or 4am, when I had only the chat to keep me company, was really memorable.

I think it's pretty certain that they'll do a 24 hour stream from the SF office, especially since Dan absolutely love doing those kind of streams. This indicates that Brad will do a new 24 hour stream on his own. Maybe GB East will do another stream so we'll get 72 hours straight?

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've signed up. Tried to get a couple of friends in on this but unfortunately none are avialable for that weekend so will be going solo.

I currently plan to play Theme Hospital for the majority of the time. Maybe with some breaks to play other stuff. Not only is Theme Hospital a thematic game for this marathon it's one I'm fond of and not played for a long time. I'm hoping the stream can be both entertaining and informative (I know a fuck load about Theme Hospital).

bpriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By fattony12000

I'm very interested in participating this year but I've never actually tried streaming for more than 10 minutes. I would like to know if any of you duders could possibly guide me in the ways of setting up a stream and what equipment I might need before the event!

Software

Download this:

https://obsproject.com/

Then read these:

Here's an old official guide for OBS, it still mostly applies to the modern versions of OBS, though.

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/official-quick-start-guide.410/

Here's a bit more of an updated OBS guide, you can use the info here and apply it to streaming with Hitbox.tv/YouTube/other services, though.

http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1262922-open-broadcaster-software

Hardware

Buy one of these if you wanna...

https://www.elgato.com/en/game-capture-hd60

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/intensity

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_hdpvr2-gaming.html

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000: Thanks for this. I've been using the free version of xsplit... OBS looks like it might be a good alternative...

TechiesRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#130  Edited By TechiesRobo
fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By fattony12000
thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By thatdutchguy

For the kids ... ;)

Loading Video...

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys, I'm looking into taking part in this event and in streaming as a whole so I'm hoping to get some advice/help from you guys. I've installed and setup OBS but I'm curious as to what everyone's upload speed is, mine is an awesome 0.55Mbps. What should I be aiming for for a good quality experience?

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By mpgeist

So my friend and I are going to stream this year. We're gonna play fighting games...and other stuff to keep from wanting to kill each other. We're starting at 10 AM EST.

http://www.extra-life.org/participant/saltython

twitch.tv/nagusameru

orlandodoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By orlandodoom

Here's my link duders. My stream will likely be me and a few friends. Probably start sometime around 8-10am EST. So far on the list is Civ Beyond Earth, Crawl, and Samurai Gunn. Plenty more will be added along the way of course.

http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=105760

twitch.tv/brosot

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any kind of group in Melbourne Australia getting together and doing this? Wouldn't mind getting involved in some sort of group thing with co op nonsense for the 24 hours

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By VannaDwight

I have a signed GB Nighthawks poster that I will be raffling off to anyone in the GB community that donates to me (Link Here) Donation are $5 a piece and please leave a note of "GB Raffle - (GB username)" when you make the donation please. I will announce the winner of the poster at the end of my stream which be at 12pm on October 26th.

I am playing for Sick Kids hospital in Toronto Ontario.

Note that the poster is one of the slightly damaged ones, but it is still in good enough shape to be hung on the wall.

RavenDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By RavenDark

Just joined the team. I'll be streaming over at http://www.twitch.tv/ravendarktv. If you would like to join me in playing Borderlands the Pre sequel, Diablo III or whatever else comes to mind from my steam list, hit me with a Steam friend request (skeeler1128). and a message you are a Duder from here.

halfashandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By halfashandy

So...

I am going to attempt this for the first time this year! 8am-8am over the weekend 25th October. Any tips on staying alive and healthy during the time? E.g. what to eat, what to drink? Can't wait to do it all with everyone!

RavenDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By RavenDark

@halfashandy: drink water...a lot of water...as for food, I'm going with protein shakes, inbetween normal meals, stay away from high carb stuff and junk food in general. this doesn't leave out a couple cups of coffee in the morning, or ordering a pizza or whatever, but don't have a bag of chips or candy in your hands the whole time, your body may never forgive you.

(I speak for myself and myself alone, YMMV)

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, God. Just realised I'm on the late shift the weekend this happens. Which means, if I do it, I'll be up closer to 36 hours. Assuming I go from midnight to midnight.

halfashandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the clocks go back in the U.K. that weekened.. I don't know if that is good or bad haha! Thanks for the advice @ravendark

What games is everyone planning on playing? I'm thinking about what games I will want to be playing at 5am...

RavenDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By RavenDark

@halfashandy: you are quite welcome. as for what game/s I'm still planning a schedule. I will most likely break it up into chunks of about 3 or 4 hours per game mixing in some older games with newer releases. example. start out with Diablo 3 and grind that for a while ( don't have to think to much about it, and can make sure the stream is progressing well, chat with people, etc.) then later on move into, say, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel once some more people are awake, and online and come into the party, then move into another game, again something easy for single player, as the night moves on, and less people are online.

still working on that mind, so thats just an example.

halfashandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravendark That sounds good, I am thinking or alternating like yourself every 2-3 hours. There are quite a few new releases around then so will be focusing on those (Mordor, Alien, Evil within will be good for late night as they require more focus) and then Destiny and Driveclub as filler games I think. Mario Kart will be a big one as well!

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good work duders. We nearly have $6k raised already and we're a month away from the day itself!

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Mahonay
Avatar image for duke_bilgewater
Duke_Bilgewater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't come to the forums that often, but I saw this today while I was browsing them. Good timing. I signed up for Extra Life since I already stream a lot and have past experience with raising money for charity through streaming; anything to make streaming a little more meaningful. I usually stream speedrunning content, so I'm live all the time grinding out runs. I'm also working through my backlog all the time, usually on stream. I'll try to think of something fun to do for the 24-hour stream on the 25th, too.

Twitch Stream

Extra Life Donation Page