Fable: The Lost Chapters VS Fable Anniversay: Which artstyle you like best?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Poll Fable: The Lost Chapters VS Fable Anniversay: Which artstyle you like best? (85 votes)

Fable: The Lost Chapters 60%
Fable Anniversary 20%
Show me the results! 20%

Which artstyle do you prefer?

Here is a video comparison of both:

• 
Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Voted for the original, the cartoony artstyle fits a bit better in the original where the extent of character interaction is farting in peoples faces

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

While I appreciate a lot of the graphical improvements in the new version, it feels like it takes away some of what made Fable what it was aesthetically. Kind of felt that way in the quick look, too.

ChrisHarris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are still slapping the "next gen" dull, muted colors filter on things?

I thought the industry had come out the other side of that fad...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

There's something more mellow about the Anniversary style that's easier on the eyes. Muted colours? Softer everything? I dunno, it's just more pleasant to look at, even if that adult child looks creepy as fuck.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@theht said:

There's something more mellow about the Anniversary style that's easier on the eyes. Muted colours? Softer everything? I dunno, it's just more pleasant to look at, even if that adult child looks creepy as fuck.

my thoughts, essentially. The only thing I dislike about the art in Anniversary is that the character models (well, a lot of them anyhow), look far too realistic to fit into the "cheeky Disney" tone of the overall game. I got over it in a lot of cases (Twinblade looks fantastic, for instance), but the Chicken Chaser looks like he has downs syndrome. It's really off-putting.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Unreal Engine 3..... it cannot get anything down right. The people who make it look good are few.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By benspyda

I think anniversary looks fine, although I probably prefer lost chapters. The biggest bummer with anniversary is the performance looks so bad. That quicklook made it look like it ran at 15 - 20fps on average, which is kinda poor for such an old game.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I think I like the over-saturation of the original more. The new one technically is more impressive but it looks less interesting.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Old Fable reminds me of old WoW.

Jagged85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I prefer the vibrant, colourful, art direction of the original.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shiro2809

I like how the world looks in Anniversary, but the character models just look damn ugly.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I prefer the one where all their hands are freakishly huge.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

@chrisharris said:

Unreal Engine 3..... it cannot get anything down right. The people who make it look good are few.

irrational got it really damn good looking/colorful with Bioshock Infinite

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crithon

@ripelivejam said:

@crithon said:

@chrisharris said:

uhhhhh...... uhhhhh..... uhhhhh..... mmmm..... making lots of faces.

well I got this weird bug where Elizabeth just stuck to one frame and then was ice skating along her series of lanes and then waited to lock into her next frame of animation. That was probably the worst first impression I got Bioshock Infinite, I don't deny it's interesting in a hand crafted sense....... BUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT....... I've seen the concept art of elizabeth and their modelers are really amateurs compared to pencils.

No Caption Provided

this is the same reaction I had to 90s disney animation concept art. Man wished Aladdin looked this good, man beast looked better.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ripelivejam

@crithon said:

@ripelivejam said:

@crithon said:

@chrisharris said:

well I got this weird bug where Elizabeth just stuck to one frame and then was ice skating along her series of lanes and then waited to lock into her next frame of animation. That was probably the worst first impression I got Bioshock Infinite, I don't deny it's interesting in a hand crafted sense....... BUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT....... I've seen the concept art of elizabeth and their modelers are really amateurs compared to pencils.

No Caption Provided

this is the same reaction I had to 90s disney animation concept art. Man wished Aladdin looked this good, man beast looked better.

well you're looking at a 3d game and not hand drawn art so obviously it's not the same thing is it? i thought the animations (particularly of Elizabeth) were sublime for the most part, especially her dancing and the Will the Circle Be Unbroken scenes (about as Disney hand drawn as you can get with 3d graphics imo). i'm sorry you got a bad first impression here but i think you want it to be something it isn't. B:I is definitely a league above your average Unreal Engine 3 game in terms of art design any way you cut it (it's probably the only game using that engine i can recall that doesn't have that chunky glistening look to it).

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By crithon

@crithon said:

@ripelivejam said:

@crithon said:

@chrisharris said:

No Caption Provided

well you're looking at a 3d game and not hand drawn art so obviously it's not the same thing is it? i thought the animations (particularly of Elizabeth) were sublime for the most part, especially her dancing and the Will the Circle Be Unbroken scenes (about as Disney hand drawn as you can get with 3d graphics imo). i'm sorry you got a bad first impression here but i think you want it to be something it isn't. B:I is definitely a league above your average Unreal Engine 3 game in terms of art design any way you cut it (it's probably the only game using that engine i can recall that doesn't have that chunky glistening look to it).

concept art is an interesting thing, sometimes it's super ambitious and sometimes there's ideas where you can see where they went the wrong way. Personally for me, just kept seeing the flaws in the tech, the unreal engine 3 has this weird animation problem which should happen father way models to have less animation to save up memory..... but then suddenly happen to the model just standing in front of me, best example of this are the combine forces in HL2ep2 scene. And yes, it's a very hand crafted detailed world where everything has this care put into it..... just wish it didn't feel like wood, even the people, which is again another problem with the unreal engine 3.

No Caption Provided

It's a weird thing, if the character isn't gears of war, then it looks off, there's some impressive soft skin that could be achieved, but even then memory needs to slowly catch up and then we get numerous glitches.

No Caption Provided

I'm not saying it's the worst looking game in the world, far from it. It feels like a marionette, and marionettes are not easy to puppeteer, they are really delicate and ornate characters and when they emote it's really beautiful. I just think it could have had just a little bit more, just a bit, just a bit. Maybe an engine that didn't fall apart every few seconds. I'm reminded of a line by Brad Bird on the Incredibles "WHY CAN'T IT DO WHAT I CAN DO WITH A FUCKING PENCIL! GOD DAMNIT!" I wish I wasn't joking on that one.

By the way, the artist Clair Hummel worked on Kinect Disnland Adventures, Kinectamles, and I believe right now she's on Fable Heroes?

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the one with the colors.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I prefer the original, but it's probably partially because Fable is my favorite Xbox game, so it's completely ingrained in my mind at this point.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Anniversary looks like crap. I'd much rather just replay TLC on PC.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

...Man I did not know anniversary looked so crappy. I can safely say I prefer Lost Chapter over anniversary which just looks dull and generic. The fable games have always had a very bright cartoony fairy tale look to the world. One of the big things that makes it different to something like skyrim. Anniversary has more detail but it just looks worse than all the fable games. The character models are even worse by the look of it. I wonder how the magic and effects look?

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Quarters

I much prefer Anniversary, mainly because it is way more consistent with Fable II and Fable III. Makes it feel like a more cohesive universe.

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#22  Edited By edsone

lost a lot of its charm in Anniversary :(

By the way, Fable's got a great soundtrack.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Fable Lost Chapters, I think the more cartoony look fits that universe and tone of the first game, where anniversary looks kinda bad, at least from the video. I'm might not get anniversary now...

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fable: Lost Chapters has the better artstyle. The unrealistic character proportions work better with less detailed character models.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I picked the one with a sense of fun colors.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow, I had no idea the Anniversary version was so damn dark. I much prefer the bright and colorful character of the Lost Chapters.