Facebook games!

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By demonbear

OK so this is happening. Face it. This is where the industry is going,  whether we like it or not. 

Now, that being said. What do you guys think should happen with these games? What are your current favorite facebook games. What are the ones you're looking foward to. What should they become, if you think they all suck right now ( most of them do ). 

I play a few of them, my personnal favorite is Dragon Age Legends. Its the one that feels almost like a game, it has that rpg feel to it and a nice simple turnbased combat system plus the art style ( from dragon age Journeys ) is pretty sweet.

EDIT : I'm adding this bit of Peter Moore's keynote given a few days ago, to demonstrate to you, non believers, that Facebook gaming is happening. : "  The industry is clearly growing, Moore said, but the true growth in the industry is coming in the digital space. That means free-to-play and microtransaction-driven games, downloadable content, subscription fees, mobile games, and advertising opportunities. In 2010, EA estimates the digital gaming market was $19.9 billion, 45 percent of the $44.2 billion total industry.  "
Source

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

I don't even have facebook, so obviously I dont care about facebook games :P

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By onarum

I don't consider those things games, also I don't think that "this is where the industry is going", is just a stupid little thing running parallel from the real games industry.

Now to what I think should happen to those things? they should crash and burn.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Only Facebook I play since I gave up Mafia Wars half a year ago is Dungeon Overlord. Pretty much Dungeon Keeper for Facebook and it's an ok game.
Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By Bennyishere

I'm playing Dragon Age Legends for the extra Dragon Age 2 items. I used to play Nitro Racing and Mob Wars. It's all shit. It's obviously difficult to make a good game that can run in most people's browsers, but it's got to be something new than what we have seen so far, which is usually some sort of management game or a simple flash game. How about something with a story? Point and click adventures?

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By applet0n

I never played Facebook games before, but now that games on facebook are now being tied to actual retail titles, I'm finding myself more inclined to try them out. I like the fact that both Assassin's Creed Legacy & Dragon Age Legends connect back to the home experience I have on my console. I know some people despise it, but I find it a much more enjoyable approach to browser games.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Facebook games are not where the industry is going, in fact they're arguably not even part of what we call "the games industry". The companies that make mainstream games aren't suddenly going to divert all their resources into making browser-based games for a social networking website. I've said this before but I'll say it again, where there is supply there will be demand and as long as "core" games still make millions, the video game industry as we know it is still going to be big business. To be honest if there's one thing I'd like to see Facebook games do it would be to get away from the whole micro-transaction model of formulating games purely to try and influence people into giving money to its creators.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By melcene

I can't STAND most Facebook games.  I give a big fat middle finger to people and their Farms and Mafias and whatever else it is they want me to help them with. 

The only ones I had played in the past were Bejeweled and some word game.  Ones that don't require me to spam my friends to get anywhere.   However more recently I also actually played some Dragon Age Legends for the free stuff. 

This thread deserves the diagram I made the other day.  Facebook gamers are part of the Casual gamers group.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By demonbear
@Gamer_152 said:
" Facebook games are not where the industry is going, in fact they're arguably not even part of what we call "the games industry".
Listen to the latest bombcast man. They said it right there. When they ask people of the industry where they are going, they're all mentionning Facebook. I don't like it any more than you do, but its happening.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By Yanngc33

I've been playing some FIFA Superstars. It's basically a regular fantasy team type of game but its cool with friends

TheRedMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheRedMage

Only Facebook games I play are Bejewled Blitz and Dragon Age: Legends.
I perhaps wouldn't mind Facebook games as much if they weren't so painfully generic (eg. Farm/Frontier/City/Zooville or Mafia/Vampire/Werewolf/Thug Wars) and had some different gameplay ideas rather than 'click a few buttons, leave for two hours, click them again' since it's not really gameplay, just a clicking addiction so that you can see a couple of numbers go up. I mean some MMOs are the same but at least they make it more visually interesting and add some semblance of story in there so that it feels at least slightly more rewarding.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By zidd
@TheRedMage: That audience unfortunately is pretty much the same audience that buys all the mini-game tripe thats available on the wii like carnival games. They don't care about good games they only care about cheap games. It happened during the 2600 era and nearly killed the industry.  "Why am I going to pay $50-60 for a game when I can get these 3-5 games for the same price?" Its really unfortunate because people who make shovelware may be making money hand over fist because nobody researches purchases anymore.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

i don't play any facebook games. i tried farmvill to see what all of the talk was about. it was pretty boring game. i don't count facebook games as games. i hate facebook games, they are annoying to see "x posted something on your wall. x needs 9 more eggs for the chicken, help him/ her out." it gets annoying reading that all the time.

baba2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By baba2

I've been playing Social Empires, purely because I can't find any of my AoE discs at the moment. It's not terrible, but it's definitely not Age of Empires.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FunExplosions

Assassinations are in order

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By demonbear

Edited my original post with a bit of news i stumbled upon today.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By melcene
@demonbear: "   free-to-play and microtransaction-driven games, downloadable content, subscription fees, mobile games, and advertising opportunities" do not necessarily equal (and in most cases are not) Facebook games.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i have Facebook but can't be bothered with its games..

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By demonbear
@melcene said:
" @demonbear: "   free-to-play and microtransaction-driven games, downloadable content, subscription fees, mobile games, and advertising opportunities" do not necessarily equal (and in most cases are not) Facebook games. "
No, but read the article, Moore mentions Facebook as one of the platforms they want to expand on. It's happening. Plus look at what EA has been doing on facebook recently, these games are popping left and right, plus that whole play4free thing too.
PwnsomeApache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PwnsomeApache

It's fun to play Texas Hold Em on Facebook. I'd much rather play that for free compared to paying for a real game version.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Mighty

Any remotely hardcore gamer just thought what I did.

TO HELL WITH THAT SHIT.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FlyingRat

You can not actually be serious in thinking that this is where the industry as a whole is going, can you?

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mighty
@FlyingRat said:
" You can not actually be serious in thinking that this is where the industry as a whole is going, can you? "
That's what I'm saying. With all the fantastic platforms and games coming out... FUCK FARMVILLE.
FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FlyingRat
@Empirepaintball said:
" @FlyingRat said:
" You can not actually be serious in thinking that this is where the industry as a whole is going, can you? "
That's what I'm saying. With all the fantastic platforms and games coming out... FUCK FARMVILLE. "
I'm not even talking about the quality of the games. I'm saying thay they will coexist without really being a threat to each other.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By napalm

I think the OP is missing the point of what people mean with Facebook games. Listen to Cliff's speech from a few weeks back. The industry is heading towards some integration to take advantage of the mobile/Facebook platforms, but it is in no way taking over the industry as we know it now. Companies are delving into these technologies to expand on their IP, not make it their sole revenue stream.

suntone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By suntone

I have no problems with Facebook games in general, for the most part they seem like little time wasters.  However I do have one complaint and that is with tie in games, like Dragon Age Legends.  I understand why you would want to integrate various other methods or smaller 'games' into your main game, but what I don't like is when you play by the already established rules.  I don't want every tie in game to be like Farmville or one of the other clones, this takes away from could be a decent or at least playable tie in game.  If the publishers actually want people to actually play these smaller games, I feel that they have to do something different to make you enjoy and want to actually play these games, rather than only playing them for the meager rewards that get for actually attempting to play these generally bad games.    

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DystopiaX

This isn't where the industry is going...you're going to have your big moneymakers like Zynga, but  although I see facebook integration in the future I don't think there's enough money/room for the entire industry to shift to that direction... the money and industry's always going to be in "traditional" videogames, even if casual games like shovelware for wii/motion controllers will play more of a role than they used to.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Brians
@Laketown said:
" I don't even have facebook, so obviously I dont care about facebook games :P "
DespicableMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I'm replying from 2 years later. It happened! Facebook has dominate the internet and facebook games has almost dominate the web game industry! :D