Fallout 4 or Rise of the Tomb Raider

Avatar image for s0mewh4td4m4ged
S0mewh4tD4m4ged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

I have an Xbox One and a not so up to date PC. Fallout 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider are both 1080p 30fps on Xbox One and have received really good review scores so far.

So the question is, do I buy Tomb Raider on Xbox One or Fallout 4 on PC or Xbox One. I love shooters, action/adventure games, and some RPGs. I couldn't finish The Witcher 3 on PC. The game lost my attention and the story took forever to progress after hours of trying to find Dandelion. Is Fallout easier to play and progress through the story than The Witcher?

My PC:
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.4Ghz
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB DDR3 1866
PNY Geforce 670 2GB

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Framerate seems to get pretty bad on consoles on Fallout.

Loading Video...

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If you lost interest during the Witcher, I assume you may lose interest in Fallout. By all accounts, it's a solid Bethesda game but it's an open-world game. Don't know if it'll keep your attention if you want a well-paced adventure.

I loved the previous Tomb Raider, and reviews indicate that this one's even better. 15-20 hours seems to be the consensus so you'll get your money's worth, and it has some character progression stuff if you need some RPG elements going.

Entirely different games, however, so it'll come down to your personal tastes. Sprawling open-world vs. narrative-driven action-adventure.

mozzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Get Tomb Raider. The first one was great, and like you said, reviews are outstanding for this one.

I personally have no interest in Fallout 4. But if I did, I would wait a couple months. I mean look at their previous record. There is a good chance it will be broken for at least the first three months.

brent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Rise of the Tomb Raider is going to be much shorter and quicker experience, but will probably be more fulfilling as a story. Fallout has the advantage of being much longer and with good mod support (eventually if it isn't around at launch) Either way, I would suggest buying Fallout for PC instead of for a console. The mod scene will exist for the console versions, but it won't be as big or as good as the mod scene for the PC edition of the game.

Also, Greenman gaming has Fallout 4 for 20% off with an offer code right now (it's in today's Kinja deals post) and that's basically just a steam key.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

This seems like it should be very easy decision. Both are getting very good reviews, and they are very different games. Would you rather play a linear third person action (uncharted-esque) game or an open world western (Bethesda-style) RPG?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Support Tomb Raider a game that isn't held together by duct tape.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I'm gonna go ahead and not diss either of the games you are interested in (crazy notion huh?) and also say that, based purely on your OP, you should go with Tomb Raider. Fallout to me has always been a "pace yourself and fill in the blanks of this story" kind of game so gut reaction is you may be bored by it. I've always spent more time doing side stuff than story stuff in Fallout games, for example.

They really are super different though. Maybe read a few reviews as they land today? Any other stipulations?

I would describe Fallout as a slower, more exploratory game. Tomb Raider I'd expect to be more of an Uncharted-style guided-romp with a stronger narrative and more traditional character types & arcs.

Obvious questions are have you ever played any Bethesda games or the previous Tomb Raider? I assume no so next question would be more general about which other games you've played recently.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By habster3

Tomb Raider, for all the reasons listed above.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

...I got Tomb Raider despite having a more than adequate PC so the performance issues are no problem. I was super excited for FO4 but I just feel more in the mood for a tighter experience with less jank right now. It won't be long til I get FO4, but it may have to compete with Just Cause at some point.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OurSin_360

I cant really say for sure but if tomb raider was out on pc now i would have picked that. Without mods i am pretty disappointed with fallout 4 from a technical standpoint and gameplay wise its not improved much from 3.