Favorite Castlevania

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

Hi! I was wondering what the community thought of their favorite Castlevania games.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ATastySlurpee

This is an interesting question that brings up the realization for me that, while I've played many many Castlevania games, I've only finished 2 of them: Symphony of the Night and Lord of Shadows 1. I want to play more and may pick up the recent collection that just released.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aria of Sorrow, Symphony of the Nights second more powerful form before the format started to get a little bogged down.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Symphony of the Night, but when you include the even greater nostalgia I feel for Dracula's Curse, that one is probably my true favorite, even though it's a real dick in the difficulty department.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Symphony of the Night is the best without question. Aria of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin are both in very distant second place.

OmegaDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the wrong answer, but Simon's Quest. I know it's not amazing, but whatever, it's my favorite. Symphony was a rainy day game I saved for about 20 years, and it was the best, just like I knew it would be. But I will always love Castlevania 2 the most because of how bizarre and arcane it is.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Castlevania 1, I guess? Simply because I played a lot of it.

I barely played 2 or 3. I played...maybe a dozen hours of the 360 release of Symphony of the Night. It was cool, but I guess I was late to that party.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No definite answer, but Rondo is really great. Also, Order of Ecclesia gets overlooked way too much in my opinion.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably IV because it was the first one I played all the way through. I have to mention Lament of Innocence though because it was one of my favorite PS2 games.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I've only beaten SotN but I have to say, I enjoyed watching Vinny play Rondo more and thought it had a ton of cool shit in it.

Rondo of Blood is my favorite Castlevania knowing very little about the series.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This might be sacrilege but probably Lord of Shadows based purely on the fact that I played it and I've barely touched any of the others..... although there was that one cool game on the Nintendo DS... can't recall the name.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Brackstone

Original NES Castlevania, it's got a certain refinement and simplicity. 3 is in a close second. Rondo and Super 4 are all quite good though and probably tied for fourth. Not a fan of the Metroidvanias.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

SoTN, I know its a boring answer but that's my fav. In terms of classicvania I really like Rondo and Bloodlines. All the GBA-DS games kinda blur together in my head. I should probably replay them since its been ages, but they are great "popcorn games" from what I remember. Throw 'em on and have a good time killing creatures to a cool soundtrack.

Giga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only gotten into Castlevania within the last year so still working my way through them, but of the ones I've played so far it's definitely Rondo of Blood. The original is close behind, both of them are just super tight, challenging platformers.

Of the Metroidvania ones I've only played SotN so far and while I had fun, I'm sure the classic ones will be more of my speed - I'll probably check out at least one of the GBA ones.

fauxical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Symphony of The Night followed easily by Super Castlevania IV has always been it for me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Justin258

Symphony of the Night hasn't held up as well as the later Metroidvania style games. Aria/Dawn of Sorrow are damn near perfect and Order of Ecclesia is fucking hard but also very satisfying to play. Portrait of Ruin isn't quite as memorable as any of those but it's still a hell of a lot of fun.

Of the old style Castlevanias, is saying Bloodstained Curse of the Moon cheating? If so, then I guess the answer's either Rondo or IV. I think I like playing IV more overall, but it also has a lot of bullshit moments that I'm not at all a fan of.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got my eye on the new collection. Symphony of the Night's my only point of reference and I've barely played that.