• 71 results
amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

Edited By amlabella

We're just about at the halfway point of 2014, and the end of June is when I like to think back on my favorite releases of the year up to this point. But instead of writing a list, I decided to create a video!

I've never done any video editing before. Ever. The video makes that obvious, but it was a fun project and a nice change of pace from the usual list. For those of you not interested in watching, this is my top five:

1. TowerFall Ascension
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. Transistor
  4. South Park: The Stick of Truth
  5. Mario Kart 8

Agree? Disagree? Am I an idiot for leaving a particular game out of the top five? Let me know!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I wish there were numerous games that I could call out for being great so far this year; the best I have at the moment is Among the Sleep, which I ended up really enjoying.

Of course, there's also episodic games that haven't ended yet (Walking Dead Season 2, Wolf Among Us, Broken Age), but those don't count until they're done.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

You and I have very different taste in games. The only one I agree with you on is Transistor. Haven't played MK8 yet, don't find South Park funny in the slightest, not a fan of the Souls gameplay (hopefully Bloodborne is different enough), and have no intention to play Towerfall.

On the video editing, don't use the Windows Movie Maker titles/credits, they are bad and make it immediately clear you are an amateur when the rest of the video is done extremely well.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Danganronpa is the only game I've cared enough to finish this year.

It's really fucking good though. I already consider 999 and Virtue's Last Reward (made by the same guys as Danganronpa) to be among my all time favorites, and this one surpasses both of them.

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Mario Kart 8 is the only new game I've played this year, so it's obviously my #1. I wouldn't be surprised if I finish off this year only playing MK8, Super Smash Bros, and The Evil Within. I've just grown tired of multiplats, it all feels so derivative.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, I can only seem to remember liking Jazz Punk, other than that this year has been a bit dull for me.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By spraynardtatum

South Park is my favorite game of the year.

No Caption Provided

And Fract OSC is a close second.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I disagree with the entire list! But then again 2014 has been nothing but a huge bummer for me so far. Chief among my disappointments being Dark Souls II which i thoroughly dislikes despite loving the hell out of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. My best of 2014 so far limits themselves to Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls and The Last of Us: Left Behind. There is a lot riding on Civilization: Beyond Earth for the rest of 2014 for me.

The video is well made though. That bit with Luigi ridin' dirty never gets old.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video is the future of internet content, after all.

As for my favorite, I think Banner Saga is the only one I've played that came out this year so far, so... Banner Saga. Might get Transistor during this Steam sale though. Will this be the year of isometric strategy games with killer art?

(speaking of which, anyone know what the deal is with Banner Saga's continuation? Is it gonna be episodic, or are we waiting on a sequel?)

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#9 riostarwind  Moderator

Looks like a solid list for the first six months of 2014. Towerfall, Mario Kart 8 and Transistor could all be on my list too. I've fallen off the souls train for now and I just don't think South Park is funny. The only game that I really enjoyed this year that isn't on this list is Danganronpa.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolfenstein was REALLY GOOD, especially compared to what I expected (which was garbage)!!!

amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@beachthunder: I can't handle horror games, I have to watch Patrick play them. Among the Sleep did look good in the quick look though. And The Wolf Among Us is one of my favorite games of the year, but like you said, best to wait until all episodes are out.

@corruptedevil: At least Transistor is a great game to agree on - have to look at the positives in life. The Movie Maker title cards do indeed look pretty crappy, just wasn't sure how to handle transitions from one game to the next. Your advice is duly noted.

@fancysoapsman: If I had expanded this to 10 games, Danganronpa would have ended up somewhere on the list. I love 999/VLR, and Danganronpa fills the Zero Escape void in my life. Really looking forward to the sequel later this year.

@alecofthewest: I'm not a big Super Smash Bros. fan, but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed MK8. So I might have to give the new Super Smash Bros. a try later this year.

@coafi: I see Jazzpunk is currently on sale on Steam for $7.49, and I'm debating whether or not I should get it...

@spraynardtatum: Haha, loved that moment in the game.

@pr1mus: I completely forgot Civilization: Beyond Earth is a 2014 release. All I remember is that the last time I played Civ V, Gandhi destroyed me. But I guess that's normal for the series.

@markwahlberg: Banner Saga is one of those games I really wanted to like more than I actually did. Really impressive art style though.

@riostarwind: You're the second person to mention Danganronpa, and that makes me happy. Definitely an honorable mention for me.

@bwheeeler: I wasn't expecting much from Wolfenstein either, but it looks like fun from the videos I've seen. I'm not a big FPS fan, but I might pick it up after a price drop.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amlabella: I recommend just making whatever title cards you want in an graphics editor like photoshop and then just plugging those in as images.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markwahlberg: Banner Saga is one of those games I really wanted to like more than I actually did. Really impressive art style though.

Same here, honestly. That's why I'm interested in where they go with it, because it's an interesting start, and if they find a good way to flesh things out more (both gameplay-wise and story) it could be pretty cool.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ITT I'm the only person who loves Titanfall. That's too bad, it's a really great game.

Transistor and Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare are my number 2 and number 3.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I have played two 2014 games so far: inFamous: Second Son and Mario Kart 8. I enjoyed them both but they are so wildly different it is hard to put one in front of the other.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've played loads of great stuff but the one I want to praise from the rooftops is Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

Some of the best RPG writing I've encountered in years. And not a single line of VA. If Pillars of Eternity and Torment are anywhere close I'm in for a real treat.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I would say my two favorites so far have been Lightning Returns and Drakengard 3, a fact I find quite hilarious considering the divisive opinions on both. Oh, and I liked Transistor quite a bit too.

The_Big_Rough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing by your rules, PC version of Metal Gear Rising: Revengence.

Awooooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Transistor really hit home with me. Felt like a complete....enjoyable experience; artstyle-, gameplay-, story-, and music-wise.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD wins by default simply because it has my favourite game of all time in it (and the HD remake is a very good version of it).

Then I'd say Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII (which I still need to finish, good thing my final Summer before University just started). And then Dark Souls 2 (which I also need to complete - though I'm fairly sure I'm closing in on the end: though I have mixed feelings on it).

As for the rest of the year: Seems like Nintendo's going to be taking the year for me. Call it silly, but just thinking that a remake of Ruby and Sapphire is going to come out while I'm at Uni actually makes me a little sad (just another reminder how weird the transition into adulthood really is).

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EuanDewar

I've really liked a lot of games so far this year. HERE ARE SOME OF THEM

• Jazzpunk
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • Watch Dogs
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth
  • Dark Souls 2
  • Titanfall
  • Hearthstone
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
  • MGS5: Ground Zeroe

Honourable mention to Transistor which you can read my detailed thoughts on over here.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, Dark Souls II is the only game I've really enjoyed so far and I think Dark Souls is better still. I'm going to play Transistor, Wolfenstein and South Park but there's little I would call GOTY-material so far. Holding my thumbs for Beyond Earth will save this year.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I've only actually played three games from 2014 thus far... partly because I have no current gen system nor a gaming PC. I did finally buy myself a 3DS, though. I've also at least enjoyed all three of my 2014 purchases--being Dark Souls II, Kirby's Triple Deluxe, and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (though mostly just for Symphonia; the sequel's shit)--to varying extents.

Also, given that's your first ever attempt at editing I'd say it's all pretty well put together.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aetheldod

@markwahlberg said:

Video is the future of internet content, after all.

As for my favorite, I think Banner Saga is the only one I've played that came out this year so far, so... Banner Saga. Might get Transistor during this Steam sale though. Will this be the year of isometric strategy games with killer art?

(speaking of which, anyone know what the deal is with Banner Saga's continuation? Is it gonna be episodic, or are we waiting on a sequel?)

Banner Saga will be 3 games ... so secuels

My list:

Banner Saga

Final Fantasy XIII Lighting Returns

Dark Souls 2

I was going to put Transisteor ... but it runs like crap on my pc so fuck it

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nasp

considering dark souls 2 is my fave game of all time,its obviously my fave this year.

1.dark souls 2

2.watch dogs

3.south park stick of truth.

ok so there is a couple games that im playing that i think will have a shot at my top 3,but i havent play enough of them yet to fully decide.so here is some potential nominees.

drakengard 3,ragnarok odyssey ace.games coming out this year that i think have a shot are destiny,dragon age inquisition,far cry 4.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

In no particular order:

• Towerfall Ascension
  • Infamous: Second Son
  • Transistor
  • The Wolf Among Us
  • The Walking Dead Season 2
  • Outlast
Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Games I've really liked so far include Dark Souls 2 and Titanfall, also War Thunder and Tomb Raider Definitive Edition ( Don't know if those last two count)

Avatar image for phantomgardener
PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PhantomGardener

1. South Park: The Stick of Truth

2. The Banner Saga

3. Wolfenstein: The New Order

4. Infamous: Second Son

5. Child of Light

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Milkman

Seems pre-mature to list The Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead Season 2 before they're done but barring some sort of unforeseen circumstances, those both would make my list so far.

Other than that,

• Stick of Truth
  • Threes
  • Hearthstone

Been pretty disappointed by most games this year so far but I still want to play Banner Saga and Broken Age. It would be nice if those went on sale...*wink wink nudge nudge*

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

South Park

Tomodachi life

Stick of truth

threes

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Haven't played a ton of games that came out this year but I would say Titanfall and Walking Dead Season 2.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• I really, really liked The Banner Saga.
  • I played Broken Age, and liked it quite a bit. Can't wait for the conclusion.
  • I like Bravely Default, though I'm still playing through it and I'm still in the first half.
  • I play a fair amount of Hearthstone.
  • I played Child of Light, it was OK.
  • I'm still making my way through Transistor, but I'm liking it so far.
  • Also Rusty's Real Deal Baseball is legit as fuck.

That's basically everything I've played from 2014 so far.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far..

Wolfenstein:The New Order
Tesla Effect
Broken Sword 5
Watch Dogs
Infamous: Second Son

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. South Park

2. Wolfeinstein

3. Final Fantasy XIV on PS4 don't know why I'm not a big MMO guy but digging this game.

4. Broken Sword 5, I haven't beaten it yet but I'm a sucker for the series.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Titanfall and Fract OSC are the only 2014 releases I've played so far. They're both really good.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@alecofthewest: I admittedly haven't played that much of it, as I've been sidetracked by finally getting to play Tales of the Abyss, to which was only first released in Europe with its 3DS version. It seems alright from what I've played, though. A bit on the simple side so far, but I'm still only in the first world. I was more so focussed on trying to get used to the console itself than pay attention to the game during my playtime; getting a feel for how best to hold the 3DS, getting used to the 3D aspect and all that.

It looks fantastic, though, that much I can say.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Seppli

Destiny Pre-Alpha and Battlefield Hardline, in terms of 2014 releases. Favorite game I played for the first time in 2014? Probably Persona 4 Golden.

Edit: Dark Souls 2 of course - feels like it's been an eternity since I played it. Like those 200+ hours of Dark Souls 2 happend in 2013 or something. Jesus.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#39  Edited By Slag

Can't say I've played much of 2014 releases yet but I haven't see anything I think is that amazing. A lot of solid titles, but nothing that screams GoTY quality. Usually I have 3-5 by now. Titanfall I feel like is a perfect example of this, it's a very solid game but it's not amazing.

That could change though once I play DS 2, SP:SoT, Bravely Default and Lightning Returns

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Probably Mario Kart 8 which is surprising since I haven't really been into a Mario Kart since the N64 version.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess South Park is my favorite so far. I haven't been motivated to finish a lot of games, like Infamous, Bravely Default and Transistor and Child of Light, all of which I have sitting on the shelf waiting to be played.

Spelunky is by far the best game I've played in 2014, but it's definitely not "of 2014".

And Wolfenstein seems pretty rad, so I'm waiting for a good price for that one.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep my PS4 GOTY list updated with every game I play from now on. Up until now it's Transistor on the #1 spot, I'm curious if that one will get beaten this year to be honest. That game just rocked, so original in every way. And I'm also totally fine with a 'small' title being the best game, the small developers can take much higher risks and sometimes that really pays off.

btw; last year it was Tearaway as my GOTY, another relative small game.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say that Jazzpunk is probably my favourite game of the year so far.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Shadowrun: Dragonfall / Diablo 3: ROS / Banner saga for me.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

Wow! Just realized the only thing from 2014 that I've played is MLB 14 The Show on my new vita. I've loved it! It was great having that thing for a recent plane ride.

Anyway, hoping to try out Infamous Second Son in the near future when I pick up a PS4 this week.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've put 230 hours into Titanfall so far and I seem to be playing more with each passing day. That's my favourite so far. I've also really enjoyed Watch Dogs and Broken Age.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

TitanFall, Trials Fusion, South Park. All great times.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By nightriff

I think the only 14 release I've played is South Park and it was mediocre for me. So far been a very backlog catch up year which is great, playing a lot of games I always wanted to play.

EDIT: Looked at what I've completed this year and I have only played South Park (3/5) and Octodad (2/5) so yeah.....been saving the hits for later in the year I guess.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

That was so great! Editing was fine, but it could use some hot Vinny tracks as music beds.

Dat Luigi.. :)