Favorite Video Game Adverts/Trailers

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BigBoss1911

Trailers usually can either make or break someones excitement for a movie/video game/TV show. Sometimes they can be done so well, they become their own art-form. My favorite ad for any video game ever has to be the launch commercial for the original Gears of War. You really have no clue what the game is about (besides it probably being a shooter), you're just given clues from the futuristic armor on grimy, tough guy looking Marcus Fenix, the worn and demolished landscape, the big spider thing that emerges from the shadows at the end, and of course the haunting piano melody of Mad World.

inismona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Look so good!

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

As far as a trailer that isnt building off of the hype of previous installments I always thought the first Assassin's Creed trailer was pretty good.

Loading Video...

As far as the very best trailers I feel the MGS franchise is in a league of it's own. They might be a bit long at times though.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just recenly went through an old thread like this! The cinematic Dead Island trailer would be an obvious pick, but it was such a strong contrast to the actual game that I won't bother linking it.

The one that always jumps to my mind is the launch trailer for Dead Space 2.

It's a bit silly to have something like Smashing Pumpkins play over a video of a sci-fi horror game, but when you consider that DS2 is like Aliens compared to the Alien, it kinda fits in a bombastic way? Dead Space 2 is also one of my favourite games ever, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

Even if I didn't own a console back in the 90's/early 2000, I always enjoyed most of the advertisements on tv. PS2 especially had a whole bunch of great live-action ones.

Loading Video...

These two aren't exactly regular video game ones, but they stuck to my mind and are still advertising PS2, so eh!

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Look, I know it's brand new, but that new Zelda trailer is pretty F'ing sweet. It starts off steady but then it just GOES.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By gundogan

@boozak: the first teaser trailer was really good:

Loading Video...

Also any of the Old Republic E3 trailers/movies.

Loading Video...

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mems1224

Will update with videos when I get home but the first that come to mind for me are

Halo 3 Reveal

Loading Video...

Halo 3 ODST

Loading Video...

Deus Ex Human Revolution

Loading Video...

Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Loading Video...

Dishonored Gameplay trailer

Loading Video...

Skyrim Gameplay Trailer

Loading Video...

Persona 5

Loading Video...

MGSV

Loading Video...

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always really liked this short TV spot for the original Assassin's Creed.

Loading Video...

Original Bioshock teaser trailer is also up there.

Loading Video...

Literally any of the large MGSV trailers.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: "Dead Space 2 is also one of my favourite games ever, so maybe I'm a bit biased."

Good taste.

This stupid trailer sold me on a pre-order of 3. At least I finished the game so I got my money's worth, I guess?

Loading Video...

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BoOzak

@mems1224: Yeah both Deus Ex trailers are great. The Hitman trailer was also pretty damn good.

Square Enix know their shit when it comes to CG trailers, turns out.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Does Duty Calls count?

Loading Video...

ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ToastMan
Loading Video...

I don't know if this qualifies since it's the intro video to the game, but I remember watching this knowing nothing about the Onimusha series and it blew my mind. The quality of the CG and the animation and choreography really left an impression on me, which led me to find more about this series and eventually play Onimusha 3.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The trailer for Skyrim.

It's still probably the most powerful video game trailer I have seen. The pacing in it is perfect, from the initial narration that sets up the game world, to the way the main theme kicks alongside the FUS RO DAH, to the various shots of the game and then ending with a panning shot of a valley and the logo reveal.

Even watching it now more than 5 years on I still find it incredible. It's very effective at communicating what the game is and all the cool stuff inside.

Also shout out to the Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer and it's scenes of vast, quiet natural beauty. I wonder if there is a meaning behind the way it starts with shots of undisturbed wilderness, increasingly shows humans and has a penultimate shot showing an dark oil field.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#14  Edited By Kidavenger

How has this not been posted yet?

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I support any with actual gameplay and that show the hud, and at best inventory or just some actual game elements.

Absolutely no interest in cinematic trailers.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By hans_maulwurf
Loading Video...

I remember feeling weirdly drawn to the Metroid other m trailer at the time - despite zero interest in the series and despite not owning a wii. It's mostly the music, I guess?

And I also really liked the pseudo-documentaries R* put out for RDR, I kinda hope they do something like that again this year.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

Bulletstorm. Not the cringey Cliff Bleszinski ones, but the parody ones.

Loading Video...

They even made a hilarious Call of Duty rip off game you could download and play (you probably still can) called Duty Calls.

Christ, I'm looking forward to getting this game rereleased.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a48350594a61
deactivated-5a48350594a61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 2007 "Starry Night" trailer for Halo 3, I didn't know it was a Superbowl commercial but had seen it days later and was just pumped with fields of emotion. Being the 12 year old halo fanboy I was then (and now) this trailer still gives me goosebumps/hebee-jebee's

Loading Video...

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

This is still the best:

Loading Video...

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@werupenstein: It's a great trailer, but like I already mentioned in my first post, the tone really couldn't be any more off from the actual game. If one would link an alternative, more truthful version of that trailer, it'd have to be this one.

Loading Video...

@adequatelyprepared Going off-topic, but I've felt like I should really write a thread about Dead Space 2, possibly after the next time I've played through it. Just to wonder why I like it sooooo much!

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By MocBucket62

The Wario World trailer was pretty good. Y'all were freaking out seeing Mario around realistic people in that Odyssey trailer. Wario hung out with realistic people 13 years ago.

Loading Video...

Another favorite of mine was the XCOM Enemy Unknown trailer were Jake Solomon is trying to be sneaky telling people to buy XCOM, but he's really not under disguised.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember seeing this commercial when was young I was so hyped to see the Snes footage for the first time I loved the arcade so much. This version was a huge step up from the original MK Snes version there was blood and gore and it wasn't censored like the first game. This is probably the most hyped I ever been for a game in my whole life.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Loading Video...

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#25  Edited By liquiddragon

The last time I was able to get super hyped about a game from a trailer was around 10 years ago from the StarCraft 2 reveal trailer with Tychus. "Hell, it's about time."

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also forgot to add GTASA got me hyped brings back alot of good memories playing this.

Loading Video...

madladunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All regrettably objectively wrong! This is the bestest:

Loading Video...

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@hellbrendy: The voice saying "Boring!" sure sounds like Vinny to me. #Collusion

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I've seen a lot of great trailers over many many years, but I think the new Zelda one might be the best one I've ever watched

Loading Video...

Not going lie, I got a little teary eyed when I watched it. My god the music was just so epic. I haven't felt this sense of wonder about Zelda since.... Ocarina?

I've probably, I kid you not, watched it 30+ times already.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NTM

I'm pretty sure we've had one or more of these threads before because I remember posting this, adding to likable trailers. Don't watch if you haven't played The Walking Dead Seasons and plan to.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ezekiel

I loved how the first MGS3 trailer used gameplay to tell a little story.

Loading Video...

I had never played an MGS game before seeing this. My imagination went wild, seeing all the possibilities.

This is how Kojima should introduce his games today. Not with the pretentious cutscene trailers that tell me nothing about the gameplay. Most trailers now are so uninformative.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Ratchet & Clank ads were pretty dope.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

I remember watching this random trailer on a demo disc for a game I'd never really heard of before, keep in mind I was still young and didn't care to much for serious stuff. But this trailer alone opened me up to the potential of storytelling and cinematography in video games. The Metal Gear Solid 2 TGS trailer, still gives me goosebumps.

Loading Video...