Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 1%
Portal 9%
Rock Band 4%
Super Mario Galaxy 9%
Team Fortress 2 5%
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune 2%
The Witcher 3%
*other* 3%

Hey, so 2007 was a great year for games (some might even say the best). Also, it was a decade ago! So, let's do some reminiscing.

Personally, my favourite from 2007 is BioShock, but Mass Effect and Portal aren't too far behind. So many new IPs!

#1 Posted by predator (385 posts) -

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

#2 Posted by Darkaileron (62 posts) -

That's a rough one. In terms of time played, It's clearly TF2, but the way the game has evolved over time, I don't feel quite as fondly of it now. Modern Warfare completely changed console fps's and still to this day can be felt.... but then again, I've been sick of that formula for the longest time.... it's a tough question.

Man.... Mario might just get away with it by being the "safe" answer.

#3 Posted by liquiddragon (1699 posts) -

Persona 3 or Bioshock? hmmmmmm

#4 Posted by BoOzak (1717 posts) -

I'm tempted to say "The Orange Box" But I know that would be cheating. The Witcher was also great but it was kind of broken and buggy when it came out.

I'd say Portal and Mario Galaxy are the only games that have withstood the test of time but if we're going with games I played and enjoyed at the time then Halo 3 would be my answer.

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#5 Posted by SloppyDetective (1014 posts) -

Halo 3 got me to finally pony up for a 360 wireless wifi connector and xbox live. Probably the most fun online I've ever had.

#6 Posted by JacDG (2186 posts) -

That was a decade ago? FuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUuuuuUuuuck.

Quite easily for me, it was COD4. That game was super impressive and so much fun. Though both Uncharted and The Witcher.

#7 Posted by probablytuna (4917 posts) -

If we're going by the game I played in 2007, it would probably be God of War II. If it's my favourite game that was released in 2007 but did not necessarily play until later it would be Mass Effect. It's still a pretty great list of games though.

#8 Posted by rethla (3438 posts) -

What an amazing year. Mass effect, God of war 2 and Witcher. If you asked me back in 2007 i would reply with the game i was currently playing because they where so good i couldnt really think of any other games while playing them. With 10 years between us it must be the Witcher because of my numerous replays of it, the support it got and what it started.

I remember uncharted was a huuuge dissapointment becasue even if the game actually was deacent it was so far off from my favourite jak and daxter.

#9 Posted by Dayve86 (164 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy for me, but God of War II, Portal, Bioshock, Mass Effect, and COD4 all come pretty close. What a year.

#10 Posted by Bollard (7557 posts) -

COD4, duuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. What a year though.

#11 Posted by IVDAMKE (1416 posts) -

@predator: First response is the best response. I concur.

#12 Posted by TobbRobb (6083 posts) -

I voted for Halo, because I just spent so much time playing it, and it's one of the highest points in a franchise I like. But I also have a lot of love for Portal and the Witcher. The latter is one I never feel comfortable giving too much praise because ITS BUSTED AS HELL. But I love it anyways.

#13 Posted by Y2Ken (2587 posts) -

Quite a few good games, but I think it has to go to CoD4 just nudging out Mass Effect. It's one of the few times I've ever been compelled to walk out and buy a game immediately after playing it - I tried it out at my friends house (we played maybe two multiplayer matches each) and the next morning I went into town and paid whatever the cheapest price I could find was (which was still hecka expensive, especially by the standards of what I was usually prepared to pay for games at that time).

#14 Posted by Warren2007 (46 posts) -

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion came out, here in the UK, in 2007 for PS3. That's where I put most of my time.

#15 Posted by isomeri (2771 posts) -

2007 was quite a year, huh? Halo 3 was definitely my favourite game to come out that year and the one I spent the most time with. However, games like Rock Band, Call of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed and Portal definitely could and should be considered more influential.

#16 Edited by DharmaBum (1703 posts) -

It's gotta be Halo 3. Absolutely unparalleled at the time and something I still play to this day.

#17 Posted by JTB123 (1217 posts) -

Halo 3 is not ten years old? I refuse to believe that.

#18 Posted by paulmako (1685 posts) -

Huh. I didn't really consider Modern Warfare and TF2 coming out the same year. Both influential for multiplayer shooters.

#19 Posted by Zevvion (5217 posts) -

According to my logs, this was my top 10 that year:

1. Mass Effect
  2. Crackdown
  3. Portal
  4. The Witcher
  5. Halo 3
  6. BioShock
  7. Tekken 6
  8. Crysis
  9. Supreme Commander
  10. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

I am not and never have been above altering a list after the fact. For example, if I play a 2016 game this year and think it's better than anything else I played in 2016, then I would still go back and alter that list accordingly. But, even though I haven't seen this list in a long time, I still stand by it.

#20 Posted by Captain_Insano (2702 posts) -

I didn't really have online multiplayer set up til a bit later, so for me the top 5 would be:

1. Mass Effect

2. COD4

3. Assassin's Creed

4. Bioshock

5. God of War II or Portal (I don't really know which left a bigger impression)

#21 Edited by bluefish (858 posts) -

Bioshock was a clear winner in my books.

Mass Effect, Halo 3 and Crackdown all left a pretty big impression though. Lots of love for '07

@jtb123 Remember how long it was from Halo 1 to Halo 2? Then from 2 to 3? It was YEARS and YEARS of waiting. But, it's been THAT long since Halo 1 Anniversary came out. That's the real scary part to me. I'm so fucking old.

#22 Posted by NTM (9798 posts) -

Yeah, that's near impossible for me, because that year did produce some of my favorite games honestly. I'm not going to choose on your list, but I will say I'll add (which is also 'other') that I'd put G.R.A.W. 2 up there for me personally.

#23 Posted by KingBonesaw (363 posts) -

Call of Duty 4, NBA Street: Homecourt, Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock and skate. are a few games that I think of when I think about that year. But since Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is my fourth favourite game of all time I'll choose that one.

#24 Posted by hermes (2254 posts) -

I answered God of War 2 because, at the time, I was impressed they could put that on a PS2.

I didn't jump into the next generation until later, and when it did, I went for the PS3, so I didn't experience games like Mass Effect or Bioshock until much later.

#25 Edited by redwing42 (264 posts) -

Persona 3 is my answer, though several of my Top 10 of all time are on this list. Bioshock was my immediate first thought, before I realized that Persona 3 was 2007 in NA (I played the FES version, which came out in 2008, so maybe that is why). Rock Band, Mass Effect, Portal, and Mario Galaxy are also strong contenders.

#26 Posted by Teddie (1491 posts) -

Other, because: Persona 3, Rogue Galaxy, Odin Sphere, Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, Folklore, Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix+ (Yeah the names were stupid a decade ago too) and the first release of Ace Attorney 3 outside of Japan. Also I'll just throw in Chulip because that game's great until you're actually supposed to achieve something.

You're a cruel man, OP.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#27 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7003 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy is one of my favorite games of the last ten years... and oh my god, 2007 was ten years ago. Where has the time gone?!

#28 Edited by MalibuProfen (109 posts) -

My top 8 for the year is chock full of excellent games across multiple genres:

1. World in Conflict
  2. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
  3. Team Fortress 2
  4. WarioWare: Smooth Moves
  5. BioShock
  6. Portal
  7. Super Mario Galaxy
  8. Sam & Max: Season One

It's pretty crazy to think that Super Mario Galaxy is only at number seven, but that just tells how strong the games above it were in my opinion. Guitar Hero III might not have been that high had I played one of the earlier versions before it, but it was my first Guitar Hero -style game I played so it deserves its high ranking (even as a player of a 'real' guitar). I've only played the demos or small portions of Crysis, The Witcher (1), Supreme Commander, Mass Effect and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare so I can't include them.

#29 Posted by FacelessVixen (1761 posts) -

Mass Effect based on how often I've played it since, but I do miss Halo 3.

#30 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10205 posts) -

2007 kind of sucked relative to 2009-2011, 2013, and 2015 (or 2004/2006 for that matter). God of War 2 was revelatory at the time but no longer feels the same way, Crysis is probably the only game that holds up other than CoD 4 multiplayer but any early Call of Duty would suffice in that regard. First Mass Effect is pretty poor at everything except story and has some pretty shitty characters (though it does have Wrex and Garrus I suppose), Bioshock is ridiculously overrated, decent game but wow at least we don't have to hear about Ted Levine's genius for a while. Assassin's Creed is terrible in an otherwise excellent series; even the dumb arguments about how the assassinations are great are obviously fucking stupid now with the addition of Hitman. Halo 3 is okay, Team Fortress 2 is just an Overwatch clone, Metroid Prime 3 is the worst game in the series, Uncharted is the worst game in the series, The Witcher is the worst game in the series (the other two games are top 20 all time), Portal is good, it's also less than two hours. Never played Super Mario Galaxy, I'm sure it's a good game.

#31 Posted by Stonyman65 (3614 posts) -

@predator said:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

I loved that game and it was more or less all that I played until CoD4 came out later in the year.

I played CoD 4 more than any person should. I feel ashamed of the hours and hours wasted playing that game.

#32 Posted by clagnaught (1262 posts) -

Probably Portal.

The original Portal was so pure, tight, and funny in a way most games never are. I even prefer it over Portal 2, which feels bloated, slower, not as funny. In comparison, the last sections of Portal kept you moving once you started to break free from the facility. In Portal 2, you had to wait for slow moving gel to be carried by tubes so you could do something. Sure, the moon stuff is funny, but overall I just don't think it is as good as Portal 1, even though it is a bigger and denser game.

#33 Posted by takayamasama (1398 posts) -

Original Mass Effect is still one of my top favorite games ever and the best Mass Effect game, so it easily wins best game of 2007 from me.

#34 Posted by lead_dispencer (423 posts) -

Did metal gear come out in 07?

But damn that was a year of games. Holy crap

#35 Posted by BaneFireLord (3218 posts) -

I definitely played Halo 3 the most of all those and it probably produced the best memories. Most of those games I enjoyed the various sequels much more than the originals (Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Portal, Rock Band, Witcher).

#36 Edited by Sinusoidal (3327 posts) -

I'm going with the rogue pick, Ratchet & Clank: Future Tools of Destruction. Mass Effect, The Witcher, Super Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, God of War II, Uncharted and Portal are probably all better games, but Ratchet & Clank are a long time favorite of mine and seeing them in glorious 720p was awesome. I wanted to like Corruption, but I never finished it. It wasn't quite as good as Prime 1 and 2 before it and I played those two a lot. Wii controls didn't do the franchise any favors either. Assassin's Creed 1 is a miserable slog of a game. Never played the rest in the poll. (Never played a CoD, period. Online shooters not my thing.)

#37 Posted by Darth_Navster (763 posts) -

So glad that the only correct choice, Mass Effect, is rightfully the top vote getter. Sometimes you pleasantly surprise me, GB Community. :-)

#38 Posted by TheWildCard (328 posts) -

Voted Bioshock, but I guess Persona 3 if it counts, even though I've only played FES and P3P.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
#39 Edited by Redhotchilimist (1539 posts) -

My vote went to Super Mario Galaxy. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All and Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations were both that year, and would have been a formidable option together.

Resident Evil 4 Wii, The Orange Box and Odin Sphere were also good.

#40 Posted by djn3811 (81 posts) -

Seeing Call of Duty 4 at a friends house made me get a 360. That combined with Giant Bomb forming in 2008 turned me onto all kinds of games that weren't jut licensed stuff or sports games. It helped turn this hobby into something more. That game, as well as Modern Warfare 2, defined high school for me

#41 Edited by FrodoBaggins (867 posts) -

Easily Super Mario Galaxy. Damn near one of the greatest games of all time. Platforming perfection.

#42 Posted by officer_falcon (489 posts) -

I easily played TF2 more than any other game of that era, or even during that era. It basically has to be my favorite by default.

#43 Posted by Ben_H (3926 posts) -

Call of Duty 4, Rock Band, and TF2 for me.

Wow that was 10 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

#44 Edited by Hassun (7881 posts) -

Hard to go against the single best release of that year: The Orange Box.

Avatar image for octopusrocketmark
#45 Posted by Octopusrocketmark (77 posts) -

Honestly I loved Orange Box and playing Half Life 2 and Portal for the first time was a revelation to say the least, but...

Halo 3 Is So God Damn Good like Fucking holy shit

It's so god damn good. Master Chief collection is worth its price tag solely for 60fps Halo 3 campaign.

#46 Posted by LeStephan (778 posts) -

Poor Metroid Prime 3...

Avatar image for giantlizardking
#47 Posted by GiantLizardKing (1100 posts) -

Holy shit, 2007 was some year.

#48 Posted by Casepb (208 posts) -

I voted for ME. It's hard to remember what I played so long ago, but I remember getting that game day one and playing it a crap load on the 360. I think after that I rarely touched the 360. Then I played ME again once it came out for PC.

#49 Edited by DedicatedDark (9 posts) -

STALKER, Assassins Creed 1 and Metroid Prime 3. These are not just my fav. games of 2007 but some of my favourite of all time.

Avatar image for thebeardedfellow
#50 Edited by thebeardedfellow (48 posts) -

I voted for Uncharted, with Mass Effect being a close second.

I know people bag on that first one and give the common line of "play it on easy just for the story," but it just captured me. Beat it on all difficulties and got all the unlocks before there were even trophies in place, then did it again to get the platinum once they were. That's why i gave it the slight nod over ME.