• 126 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Avatar image for mracoon
#1 Posted by mracoon (5112 posts) -

The year is coming to a close and that means you can expect a ton of 'Favourite ___ of 2012' threads, like this one. With Bioshock Infinite's rather bland cover being announced, I thought it would be cool to look back and see what everybody's stand-out box art was from this year. Here are my picks in order of release:
 

       Syndicate -- Simple yet bold, sums up the game's aesthetic pretty well.
Syndicate -- Simple yet bold, sums up the game's aesthetic pretty well.
      Touch My Katamari -- The Katamari games always have a lot going on in their box art but they still manage to convey the game's charm and whimsy.
Touch My Katamari -- The Katamari games always have a lot going on in their box art but they still manage to convey the game's charm and whimsy.
     Gravity Rush -- It was a toss up between this and         Inversion for best sideways box art.
Gravity Rush -- It was a toss up between this and Inversion for best sideways box art.
    Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy -- I'm a fan of the weird chibi representation of the FF characters.
Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy -- I'm a fan of the weird chibi representation of the FF characters.
  Borderlands 2 -- A smart play on the    original game's box art but it makes me wonder what they'll do for a Borderlands 3.
Borderlands 2 -- A smart play on the original game's box art but it makes me wonder what they'll do for a Borderlands 3.
 Hotline Miami -- Another box art which perfectly encapsulates the game's tone.
Hotline Miami -- Another box art which perfectly encapsulates the game's tone.
 So, what are your favourites?
Moderator
Avatar image for artisanbreads
#2 Edited by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

Max Payne 3. The art for that game is ridiculously good, typical Rockstar at this point.

Max Payne 3 cover art - final
Max Payne 3 cover art - final

I would have said Borderlands 2's flip side cover art but then I realized just after I picked up the game that it's basically a complete rip off of Olly Moss' work.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/21/borderlands-2-borrows-star-wars-poster-art

Avatar image for fluxwavez
#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19844 posts) -

Gravity Rush's is definitely a favorite. Actually, that's probably the only box art this year that really stood out to me.

Oh, and Persona 4 Golden's:

Full of energy and style
Full of energy and style
Avatar image for bishna
#4 Posted by Bishna (339 posts) -
US Box
US Box

Xenoblade has my vote. Love the green grass against the blue sky and mech.

Avatar image for spoonman671
#5 Posted by Spoonman671 (5874 posts) -

I know some people weren't into it, but I actually really like Far Cry 3's art.

360 box art (cropped)
360 box art (cropped)
Avatar image for hailinel
#6 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

@Bishna: You took my first choice, so I'll go with my second:

Two classy covers for the price of one.
Two classy covers for the price of one.
Avatar image for bishna
#7 Posted by Bishna (339 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: I thought that Kanji and Rise looked wierd in that.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
#8 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -

The Darkness 2 by far. Darksiders 2 wasn't bad either.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for sticky_pennies
#9 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2082 posts) -

The reversed Xenoblade Chronicles cover art in the US is absolutely fantastic.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for colourful_hippie
#10 Posted by colourful_hippie (5851 posts) -

No Halo 4 yet? Fuck this thread.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for artisanbreads
#11 Posted by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

@Sticky_Pennies said:

The reversed Xenoblade Chronicles cover art in the US is absolutely fantastic.

No Caption Provided

It really is beautiful. Didn't play the game but I love it.

Avatar image for phatmac
#12 Posted by Phatmac (5938 posts) -

The Walking Dead's cover is cool.

Avatar image for cutyoface
#13 Posted by cutyoface (581 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

Max Payne 3. The art for that game is ridiculously good, typical Rockstar at this point.

Max Payne 3 cover art - final
Max Payne 3 cover art - final

I would have said Borderlands 2's flip side cover art but then I realized just after I picked up the game that it's basically a complete rip off of Olly Moss' work.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/21/borderlands-2-borrows-star-wars-poster-art

Yeah I feel Rockstar's covers are always top notch.

Avatar image for sumbog
#14 Posted by Sumbog (573 posts) -

I like the really simple stuff, keeping it classy ya know? The clutter of something like Persona 4 is a bit much for me.

Avatar image for generiko
#15 Posted by Generiko (459 posts) -
XBLA box art
XBLA box art

The guy just looks so happy :D

Avatar image for beachthunder
#16 Posted by BeachThunder (15059 posts) -

I really like the style of Sleeping Dogs' cover:

No Caption Provided
Online
Avatar image for kiri90
#17 Posted by Kiri90 (299 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong: I rather like the box art for The Darkness II as well. The cover art on Steam was pretty great.

Box art displayed on Steam
Box art displayed on Steam

@mracoon: I also really liked the box art for Syndicate and Borderlands 2, as you already pointed out.

Avatar image for handlas
#18 Posted by handlas (3334 posts) -

oh ya Sleeping Dogs is where it is at. T. Stout is the artist. Love his style. Need to buy one of his posters but they are always sold out.

Avatar image for animasta
#19 Posted by Animasta (14923 posts) -

I'll go ahead and say hotline miami for games i actually played, but I do like Far Cry 3.

Avatar image for demoskinos
#20 Posted by Demoskinos (17427 posts) -
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for animasta
#21 Posted by Animasta (14923 posts) -

@Demoskinos: I love that game but that box art kinda sucks considering they have none of the actual main characters on it (a main villain sure but still)

Avatar image for hailinel
#22 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Demoskinos: I love that game but that box art kinda sucks considering they have none of the actual main characters on it (a main villain sure but still)

What does it matter?

Avatar image for demoskinos
#23 Posted by Demoskinos (17427 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Demoskinos: I love that game but that box art kinda sucks considering they have none of the actual main characters on it (a main villain sure but still)

What does it matter?

I like it a lot because its simple and classy it doesn't have a whole lot of noise on it. Simple white background the title and a single character. I think on a lot of covers now days there is just way to much noise. I have the Limited Edition and it just has the title on a white background and I really like that. Sometimes minimilistic goes really far with me.

Avatar image for bushpusherr
#24 Posted by bushpusherr (1080 posts) -

Ignoring the game for windows live and the ratings/branding labels:

No Caption Provided

Artorias is fucking awesome.

Avatar image for spunkyhepanda
#25 Edited by SpunkyHePanda (2204 posts) -
YEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
YEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
Avatar image for kiri90
#26 Posted by Kiri90 (299 posts) -

Also.

360 box art (cropped)
360 box art (cropped)
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
#27 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5777 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

I really like the style of Sleeping Dogs' cover:

No Caption Provided

@Generiko said:

XBLA box art
XBLA box art

The guy just looks so happy :D

Avatar image for csl316
#28 Posted by csl316 (14797 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong
The Darkness 2 by far. Darksiders 2 wasn't bad either.
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Hey, look at that. Both of my choices.

I actually really liked Halo 4's, as well.
Avatar image for pillclinton
#29 Posted by PillClinton (3601 posts) -

@Spoonman671: Huh, I actually just now noticed the head in the sand on that FC3 cover.

Despite the extremely clichéd
Despite the extremely clichéd "dude holding gun" theme, I actually really like this for its simplicity, color, and acknowledgment of the tradition of minimal Hitman box arts. Really likin' the game too! Screw the haters!
Avatar image for mandude
#30 Posted by mandude (2828 posts) -

Fuck. I don't buy enough physical games to get a broad spectrum of box art...

Avatar image for animasta
#31 Posted by Animasta (14923 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Demoskinos: I love that game but that box art kinda sucks considering they have none of the actual main characters on it (a main villain sure but still)

What does it matter?

I like it a lot because its simple and classy it doesn't have a whole lot of noise on it. Simple white background the title and a single character. I think on a lot of covers now days there is just way to much noise. I have the Limited Edition and it just has the title on a white background and I really like that. Sometimes minimilistic goes really far with me.

oh sure the limited version sounds cool, the regular cover is just kinda... untrue advertising? advertising Lightning to be a large part of the game when she really isn't.

Avatar image for phatmac
#32 Posted by Phatmac (5938 posts) -
@BeachThunder

I really like the style of Sleeping Dogs' cover:

No Caption Provided
Best of 2012 for sure.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d1ab87a7ca4
#33 Posted by deactivated-59d1ab87a7ca4 (99 posts) -
No Caption Provided

I still haven't played this one, but I really like the box art.

Avatar image for hailinel
#34 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Demoskinos: I love that game but that box art kinda sucks considering they have none of the actual main characters on it (a main villain sure but still)

What does it matter?

I like it a lot because its simple and classy it doesn't have a whole lot of noise on it. Simple white background the title and a single character. I think on a lot of covers now days there is just way to much noise. I have the Limited Edition and it just has the title on a white background and I really like that. Sometimes minimilistic goes really far with me.

oh sure the limited version sounds cool, the regular cover is just kinda... untrue advertising? advertising Lightning to be a large part of the game when she really isn't.

Don't be obtuse. She may not have a large role in it, but she's still present and an important character.

Avatar image for animasta
#35 Posted by Animasta (14923 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Demoskinos: I love that game but that box art kinda sucks considering they have none of the actual main characters on it (a main villain sure but still)

What does it matter?

I like it a lot because its simple and classy it doesn't have a whole lot of noise on it. Simple white background the title and a single character. I think on a lot of covers now days there is just way to much noise. I have the Limited Edition and it just has the title on a white background and I really like that. Sometimes minimilistic goes really far with me.

oh sure the limited version sounds cool, the regular cover is just kinda... untrue advertising? advertising Lightning to be a large part of the game when she really isn't.

Don't be obtuse. She may not have a large role in it, but she's still present and an important character.

I guess, but that's like... putting Dojima on the Persona 4 box. He's an important character but there should be other characters that come first.

Also I think they were trying to fool people into thinking Lightning was going to be controllable since she was so popular, honestly, it's smart business.

Avatar image for hailinel
#36 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Demoskinos: I love that game but that box art kinda sucks considering they have none of the actual main characters on it (a main villain sure but still)

What does it matter?

I like it a lot because its simple and classy it doesn't have a whole lot of noise on it. Simple white background the title and a single character. I think on a lot of covers now days there is just way to much noise. I have the Limited Edition and it just has the title on a white background and I really like that. Sometimes minimilistic goes really far with me.

oh sure the limited version sounds cool, the regular cover is just kinda... untrue advertising? advertising Lightning to be a large part of the game when she really isn't.

Don't be obtuse. She may not have a large role in it, but she's still present and an important character.

I guess, but that's like... putting Dojima on the Persona 4 box. He's an important character but there should be other characters that come first.

Also I think they were trying to fool people into thinking Lightning was going to be controllable since she was so popular, honestly, it's smart business.

Technically, she is playable, both in the game's start and in some of the DLC. Also, Lightning's request for Noel to find Sarah is a driving force behind the storyline. This is not the same as putting Dojima on the cover of the P4 box.

Avatar image for inkerman
#37 Edited by inkerman (1504 posts) -

Yep, really liked Sleeping Dogs style, although Syndicate is cool.

Also, do the guys have a box art of the year category? At the risk of adding another category, I think they kind of should.

Avatar image for johnnymcmillen
#38 Posted by JohnnyMcmillen (159 posts) -

I fucking love that Hotline Miami cover,

Avatar image for animasta
#39 Posted by Animasta (14923 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Demoskinos: I love that game but that box art kinda sucks considering they have none of the actual main characters on it (a main villain sure but still)

What does it matter?

I like it a lot because its simple and classy it doesn't have a whole lot of noise on it. Simple white background the title and a single character. I think on a lot of covers now days there is just way to much noise. I have the Limited Edition and it just has the title on a white background and I really like that. Sometimes minimilistic goes really far with me.

oh sure the limited version sounds cool, the regular cover is just kinda... untrue advertising? advertising Lightning to be a large part of the game when she really isn't.

Don't be obtuse. She may not have a large role in it, but she's still present and an important character.

I guess, but that's like... putting Dojima on the Persona 4 box. He's an important character but there should be other characters that come first.

Also I think they were trying to fool people into thinking Lightning was going to be controllable since she was so popular, honestly, it's smart business.

Technically, she is playable, both in the game's start and in some of the DLC. Also, Lightning's request for Noel to find Sarah is a driving force behind the storyline. This is not the same as putting Dojima on the cover of the P4 box.

I still say it's intensely misleading, and honestly don't even think it looks that great (though that's mainly because of that dumb render of her, if it was just the silhouetted picture of her and caius fighting it would've been way better).

Avatar image for hailinel
#40 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

@Animasta: You're basically saying that it was misleading of Namco to do this for the Japanese We Love Katamari cover:

No Caption Provided

In which case, you are objectively wrong.

Avatar image for animasta
#41 Posted by Animasta (14923 posts) -

@Hailinel: katamari damacy's defining characteristic; being crazy

that cover; being crazy

not misleading at all!

Avatar image for mike
#42 Posted by Mike (17951 posts) -

At least the Sleeping Dogs box art is a departure from the ubiquitous "guy with a gun" style that has been plaguing us for years. However...Dogs is still my second favorite of the year next to Hotline Miami.

Moderator
Avatar image for hailinel
#43 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel: katamari damacy's defining characteristic; being crazy

that cover; being crazy

not misleading at all!

No, the defining characteristic is a tiny, tiny prince rolling up giant balls of junk for a giant madman to turn into stars. That cover does not reflect that.

Avatar image for video_game_king
#44 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Two classy covers for the price of one.
Two classy covers for the price of one.

The downside being that it throws my game shelf all out of whack because there's a noticeable bump now.

Oh, right. An answer. Gimme a sec.

Yea, Xenoblade, I guess. Let it be known that I am a massively lazy bastard.
Yea, Xenoblade, I guess. Let it be known that I am a massively lazy bastard.
Avatar image for pillclinton
#45 Posted by PillClinton (3601 posts) -

@iShayman said:

No Caption Provided

I still haven't played this one, but I really like the box art.

Fuck, that's great.

Avatar image for bmehlers
#46 Posted by bmehlers (172 posts) -

I'm surprised nobody has said Assassin's Creed 3 yet, I thought it was on of the better covers of the year.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
#47 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5904 posts) -

Borderlands 2. It's the second gun, so there are TWO FUCKIN GUNS. Man, such an awesome set of box art.

Avatar image for majormitch
#48 Posted by MajorMitch (1123 posts) -

@iShayman said:

No Caption Provided

I still haven't played this one, but I really like the box art.

This is definitely my favorite :)

Avatar image for cthomer5000
#49 Posted by cthomer5000 (1402 posts) -

Yeah, a lot of good ones this year. Fez jumps to mind for me. The Walking Dead, i guess most specifically the upcoming disc version art:

No Caption Provided

Syndicate is nice and clean. Good game, good art.

Journey?

Avatar image for rawknro11a
#50 Posted by RawknRo11a (560 posts) -

Loved the Steelbook case you got for pre-ordering Assassins Creed 3. Wish they had used this art work for the actual game.

No Caption Provided