• 57 results
KingdomCome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KingdomCome

Hey GiantBomb Community, well, I thought I'd start my first topic outside of my introductory thread of which I created yesterday, and, whilst I could waffle on about my music, film, and comic interests, I presumed the best way to start accompanying myself with other members of these forums is to discuss the most important of media related topics, video games. Therefor, with most of my gaming since the release date of the original Gears of War being devoted to that franchise and its multiplayer components (With it being my favourite franchise), I'd like to delve into the preferenced multiplayer titles of other forum members.

So, returning to the initial thread topic and one of the most overused questions in forum history, What is your Favourite Multiplayer Game and why?

As I briefly touched upon above, mine are the three Gears of War instalments, I've been an avid fan of the franchise since the announcement of the original and am somewhat of an obsessive (When my Xbox 360 Red Ringed a matter of days before Gears of War 3 released, I didn't send it to get fixed by Microsoft in the knowledge I wouldn't have it back in time for Gears 3's release, therefor, when I attended the midnight launch to pick up my Epic Edition, I also purchased the Gears of War 3 Limited Edition Xbox 360 as well as enough Microsoft Points for the DLC Season Pass, overall amounting to around £450 at the midnight launch, just to play it on release date), I love the intensity of the combat and as I've been playing with the same select friends for around 6 years now (Since I was 12) we've become incredibly tactical advesaries on the battlefield. Currently, my K/D Ratio sits at an average of around 4.8 across all game modes, of which I'm immensely proud of.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Tough one.

I have to say the Halo's always give me good co op/multi times with my cousin but I have spend a lot of time in Borderlands 1, Mass Effect 3 and Gears of War as well.

I can't pick.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By Justin258

Halo 3, I guess. It's the only multiplayer that I've ever really dug deep into. Certainly I've skimmed over Battlefield, played some Call of Duty, and dabbled in Team Fortress 2, and enough other multiplayers to pay for Gold several times, but at the end of the day multiplayer's just "there". It's fun, but it's not something I rush through my work in anticipation of.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By lethalki11ler

Has to be Battlefield 2. Played that game an insane amount

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By crusader8463

Command and Conquer Renegade was my first love, and it breaks my heart that no one tried to copy that games online. It was/is so ahead of it's time. As of late however, I have been slutting it up with TF2.

KingdomCome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KingdomCome

@believer258 said:

Halo 3, I guess. It's the only multiplayer that I've ever really dug deep into. Certainly I've skimmed over Battlefield, played some Call of Duty, and dabbled in Team Fortress 2, and enough other multiplayers to pay for Gold several times, but at the end of the day multiplayer's just "there". It's fun, but it's not something I rush through my work in anticipation of.

I despise Modern Military FPS', Call of Duty has just drained that genre dry for me...

What is you stance on Halo 4? Are you anticipating it regardless of the changes 343 Industries have made? Whilst many have complained, I personally applaud them. To have to follow Bungie in developing a critically acclaimed and publicly adored franchise, it would be very easy to approach development of Halo 4 with a lazy attitude, but 343 have really listened to the Halo community, acted upon their suggestions whilst at the same time making some very daring choices...

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By CaptainTightPants

I don't think I have a favorite to be honest, but if we go with most time spent I believe it would be like this.

1. Team Fortress 2

2. Super Monday Night Combat.

3. Halo.

4. Gears of War 3.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By 71Ranchero

Death Tank Zwei for Saturn......or maybe Saturn Bomberman. Its one of those those for sure. I dont have a reason.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By Justin258

@KingdomCome said:

@believer258 said:

I despise Modern Military FPS', Call of Duty has just drained that genre dry for me...

What is you stance on Halo 4? Are you anticipating it regardless of the changes 343 Industries have made? Whilst many have complained, I personally applaud them. To have to follow Bungie in developing a critically acclaimed and publicly adored franchise, it would be very easy to approach development of Halo 4 with a lazy attitude, but 343 have really listened to the Halo community, acted upon their suggestions whilst at the same time making some very daring choices...

I won't pretend like the Halo franchise isn't still one of my favorite franchises, and I won't pretend like I'm not interested in Halo 4 - but it's just not on top of my "games priority" list. And remember that my "games priority" list falls pretty far behind my "real-life priorities" list, so I just can't say I'm in huge anticipation for Halo 4 unless a bunch of people say that it does a bunch of interesting things to differentiate it from Halo 1, 2, and 3.

As for modern military shooters, Call of Duty and Battlefield have very different multiplayers. If you've never given Battlefield a whirl (and you have a capable PC), you really should. It's great.

Avatar image for verticalstripes
verticalstripes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By verticalstripes

Halo 3/Reach 
FIFA
Mario Kart 64
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Super Mario Stikers

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Halo, I enjoy shooters but for some reason Halo clicks better. It feels more like a thinking mans game compared to Call Of Duty. Battlefield is fun from time to time though as well.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Ravenlight

Team Fortress 2 all the way. Five years of updates, F2P, still going strong.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By pweidman

For competitive mp it's probably Battlefield games, Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 2 the most. BF3 not as much. Lately I've been more into co-op; ME3's co-op specifically. I like co-op a bit more in general, and that'll continue w/Borderlands 2 when it drops soon.

I really enjoyed the Blops mp though and I'm sure I'll get into that stuff this winter. I used to be really into Halo 2, and 3's mp, so I'll give Halo 4's mp a go for sure(never got into Reach's comp mp at all), but I bet I'll spend much more time in the ongoing co-op mission stuff they're offering.

I play so many different games that I find a lot of competitive mp modes tough because so many people really spend the time to get very good at one game's mp, and it gets hard to compete. Kind of a drag really as I leave friends behind far too often moving on to new stuff. Just can't help it though.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Deranged

My all time favourite is the original Gears of War. No game came close to replicating the intense, heart-stopping action of shotgun duels and what remains to this day as one of the most skillful games of any generation. Halo is quite honestly just as good as Gears but in a completely different format. Fast paced, white-knuckled action with pitch perfect gameplay and seamless online play.

Battlefield Bad Company 1 & 2 alongside Battlefield 3 follow up extremely close due to being one of the most lively experiences you can have in a multiplayer setting. Everyone seems to have a purpose, explosions go off left and right, teamwork is a must and each gun feels powerful. Few games replicate such success.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By falserelic

Battlefield: Bad Company 2. I had more fun with that game then BF3...

djhicks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By djhicks1

Battlefield - freedom.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hoossy

1942, because

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SexyToad

It's either Battlefield or probably Halo. Either Halo game.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By nerdsbeware

All time, hands down? Quake III Arena.

Some friends and I were sitting around playing Smash Brothers or SSX (a typical Friday night)when someone perked up and said let's have a LAN party. The game had just come out earlier that week too. It had to be around 6-7pm, no one had their computers (obviously) nor did we have a hub, cables... nothing. We ended up splitting into two or three groups, one group went from house to house, picking up everyone's computers and gear. Another group hit up the store for food, the last of us took a not so local trip out to, at the time Circuit City to by a router. After 2-2 1/2 hours we were jam packed in my friends basement all around a big ass board laid on top of a pool table as a make shift table. We ended up playing non-stop for hours. Subsequently it started us having an annual LAN party at my house for the entire week after Christmas for quite some time. We had a separate computer set up as a dedicated server, my one friend made a custom map for us. Some of the best times I had playing games were those and with that game.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Animasta

Team Fortress 2.

I'd say L4D2 if the community wasn't fucking garbage.

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By mbr2

Quake 3 or TF2 pre-hat and weapon cluster fuck.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22  Edited By natetodamax

Battlefield 3. It's been a while since a multiplayer shooter has been as consistently exciting and satisfying, even after 200 hours of playing.

Tonyyj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tonyyj

FIFA

NHL

Counter-Strike: Source (Maybe CS:GO will take over, time will tell)

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

Modern Warfare 2 is the only game that I've played extensively it was the only game I had when I first bought a PS3 so I played the ever loving shit out of it. I've probably in around 24 days worth of time. I had a great time with it so I don't feel like it was wasted time.

That1BlackGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By That1BlackGuy

Some of my favorites include Halo: Combat Evolved, Hunter: The Reckoning GC and Spider Man: Maximum Carnage... Some of the only games that I can say I enjoyed more playing with others than by myself (I'll admit SMMC was just impossible to beat alone lol). I'm" not a big fan of online gaming so I can't really comment in that area.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

Twisted Metal :)

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cubidog1

Any game I play with friends ends up being fun to me. I love Halo, Mario Party & Kart, Red Dead Redemption, Castle Crashers, The Legend of Zelda Four Swords Adventures, and any Valve game. My favorite multiplayer game is Minecraft. Building a monument, farming, it doesn't matter. I love it all. Playing with friends is amazing.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#28  Edited By sjschmidt93

TF2, WoW

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By jonnyboy

This is a hard one. I've probably put the most hours into L4D2. My favourite though is probably Doom 2, that game killed my phone bill.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

1. MOHAA

2.BF2

3.CSS

Avatar image for everydayodyssey
EverydayOdyssey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EverydayOdyssey

If Dark Souls counts, then that is my pick. It is always a surprise when you get invaded and cooperative is fantastic. I also enjoy seeing other soul's gear and play style. My nostalgia answer would be Bomberman on SNES or that first WCW (or was it WWF) game on N64. Of course, Goldeneye was a lot of fun. I loved Socom for PS1 and Socom 2 for PS2.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By habster3

Team Fortress 2: Fast-paced gameplay, plenty of gameplay variety and personality for each character, five years of consistent updates, a (relatively) mature community, etc.

hangedtoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hangedtoaster

I've always loved the feel and gameplay of any Battlefield game. I think it's the fact that whatever role your playing in your helping towards the teams overall progress that and some tactical thinking is required to suceed 

lecher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lecher

I dont think I have a favorite but console wise I really dig the multiplayer in War of Cybertron/Fall of Cybertron!! Gears of War is always fun too esp with all the different game modes they have in 3

For pc tho i always have fun with TF2 and Killing Floor

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#35  Edited By Slag

Warcraft III

solid RTS, Heroes add depth. map editor was awesome enough to create DotA

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Phatmac

Left 4 Dead 2. I fucking love playing as the infected. I used to play that game with my friends all the time. I still play once in a while.

ImaTreee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ImaTreee

Starcraft 2

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#38  Edited By Sooperspy

For the past few years it's been Uncharted 2 and especially 3. I also played a shit ton of Call of Duty 1 and Halo 2 as a young lad.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hippie_genocide

Socom II: this was probably the first online multiplayer that I got really into. Was in a clan and all that jazz. I really liked the coordination required to play well as a team, and how every death mattered. No running in willy nilly and just respawning when you die.

BFBC2: Loved the class based gameplay and all the modes. Sniping was particularly satisfying when gauging for bullet drop over long distances and such. The destruction really added a lot to the gamplay I thought. Plus, you know, vehicles.

TF2

CoD4: I played a lot of this when it came out. I still feel of all the CoD's they never really improved on the multi from the first MW. Like subtraction by addition or something.

Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By A_Talking_Donkey

Super Street Fighter II Turbo, it's extremely well balanced and has a ton of variance. As far as fighting games go the pacing is fast and brutal enough to keep you constantly alert so the fights are always tense. I can't imagine a more perfect video game than that.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By valiantgrizzly

I like Call of Duty. Not even joking. It's stupid fun I can enjoy in splitscreen with my girlfriend. Although I'm getting quite sick of the 'herp you like cod, play real games' mentality that is, well, omnipresent.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mandude

Timesplitters, because apparently I still live in the early 2000s.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That's really hard to choose but I'd have to say Counter Strike: Source.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#44  Edited By KillyDarko

Unreal Tournament, probably-- yes, I know it's an oldie, but I don't care xD

KingdomCome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By KingdomCome

@ValiantGrizzly said:

I like Call of Duty. Not even joking. It's stupid fun I can enjoy in splitscreen with my girlfriend. Although I'm getting quite sick of the 'herp you like cod, play real games' mentality that is, well, omnipresent.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I won't hide that I despise the Call of Duty franchise, its tedious, repetitive formula reeks of lazy development, however, the initial formula originating from Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was undeniably fun, the franchise has just sunk in expectation and quality. I've never been a military genre fan, but Call of Duty has decreased my interest even further.

However, I understand why people play the franchise, I've been playing the Gears of War franchise from day one and whilst I'm somewhat skeptical regarding the speedy development of Gears of War Judgement, regardless of its short development schedule, limited new details and more, I can guarantee I'll be purchasing the best edition of the game on its day of release.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By valiantgrizzly
@KingdomCome I actually totally agree. The franchise has been on a decline since CoD4, but that doesn't keep me from enjoying the core online gameplay. It's, as I said, stupid fun. And Black Ops 2 looks promising, so we'll see.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By zombie2011

Halo 2, 3 then 1.

The way the MP is designed is brilliant in Halo, all the randomness that happens in the game due to the physics and vehicles is amazing too.

KingdomCome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By KingdomCome

@zombie2011 said:

Halo 2, 3 then 1.

The way the MP is designed is brilliant in Halo, all the randomness that happens in the game due to the physics and vehicles is amazing too.

I'm continuously stating this. No other games suit a theatre mode more than the Halo Series...

LD50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LD50

I just picked up Shootmania. If my video card wasn't such a piece, i would be enjoying it more. Creating some maps in the mean time.

Avatar image for infinitestatemachine
InfiniteStateMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

quakeworld, counterstirke, firearms halflife, frontline force, team fortress (the original)

and of course... Doom