Favourite "off-brand" Giantbomb Podcast

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Poll Favourite "off-brand" Giantbomb Podcast (250 votes)

8-4 Play 2%
The Hotspot (since GB era) 21%
Giantbombcast Aftermate 6%
Giant Devcast 2%
All Systems Goku 19%
Bombin the A.M with Scoops and the Wolf 2%
Powerbombcast 5%
Danswers 4%
Alt F1 6%
My First E3 1%
Spoilercasts 0%
Giantbomb Presents (Interviews etc) 0%
A Very Ryckert (whatever) 3%
E3 Couch Discussions 3%
GOTY Podcasts 10%
Gaming Minute 0%
Film & 40s 10%
Box Office Bomb 2%
Bomb After Reading 1%
Other 1%

So I don't want this to be a Bombcast vs Beastcast debate

But, as a premium subscriber and someone with a 3 hour round trip to work each day, I have listened to A LOT of GB podcasts over the years. I still regularly listen to some that have GB based origins (such as Shift F1) and there are some I have stopped listening to all-together.

I've created some specific categories from within Giantbomb Presents

I have included 8-4 Play as it is hosted on the site.

If I've forgotten one, I apologise - mention it in the comments

Which wins in your heart of hearts?

• 
Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For the same reason I read a lot of relationship subreddits, I found Danswers to be pretty damn entertaining. I have always loved to read people (as in, figure out their intentions) and discuss the reasons people do what they do, give friends advice and analyze my own way of living and so on. So I do recall really being excited whenever a new Danswers was around.

Don't really think there has been one I have actively disliked though. Some I might just not have had the interest in the source reason (such as F1) or time to follow a source (like Dragon Ball) to make it worth listening to those.

plinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gotta go with the Aftermath and the 3AM Boyzzzz. I really like how Jeff and Ben get along as they seem to make each other crack up a lot any time they're together so the more I can get of that, the better. I love that it's just off topic and weird stuff because they make humor out of anything and it's great. I have to say though the vote isn't exactly 100% for me. I also love a few of the others listed, especially the new Hotspot if that's the one you mean. But I think the Aftermath is the one I most look forward to.

Also I hate to be this guy but I really love the typo in Aftermath lol. You can get a lot of show ideas from it!

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben and Abby had a short but fun podcasts that I think is called "Office of new Business" where they interview people. My favorite of those was the one with Gita Jackson. If I had to choose a favorite it would be a tie between Bomb After Reading and All Systems Goku. Dan and Jeff talking about Anime is not something I would have thought would happen on the site. Bomb After Reading is something I wished was still a thing on the site, as someone that reads sporadically and can never find the time to do so it's great listening to a group of people be jazzed about books. It helped that Drew helmed the cast and managed to steer conversations contiguously so it felt like you were reading along. Also the soundscaping was pretty good on the Sphere episode.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Captain_Insano

Haha - didn't realise my "Aftermath" typo - it is my Australian-ness shining through to the fore that I accidentally wrote 'Aftermate'

For me I went with Danswers as the rapport between Danny and Dan was fantastic and it actually prompted me to read Dan's book "Anxiety as an Ally" and got me to at least contemplate my own anxieties and issues - not clinical advice from them of course, but at least got me to open up to it. The relationship stuff wasn't something I needed, but it was interesting to hear - would love a follow up with their lives so different now - some of it got repetitive but I thought Danswers was really good.

I still listen to Shift F1 now and really enjoy that.

Scoops and the Wolf was nice as a prelude to GBEast as a thing.

The Hotspot is hit or miss for me - it depends on what they discuss. If they discuss early games journalism or reminisce on that era of reporting, I love it. Discussions about "Mister" (?) builds is something I don't care about at all (though I will still listen to it in the background) - just different areas of interest.

The Aftermath is the one podcast I actively chose to stop listening to (I didn't listen to Goku or Powerbombcast to begin with as its outside my area of interest). Jeff and Ben's style of humour, which for me works in a larger group, is something that doesn't gel with me when it's just the two of them. Not a criticism. - just different tastes.

I almost didn't include GOTY Podcasts or E3 Podcasts as I see them as mainly 'extensions' of the regular podcasts, but given the regular podcasts still (usually) occur during E3 and GOTY, I figured they bore including.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Box Office Bomb, since it's Behind the Screened Door II.

So I'm really just voting for the Screened podcast, since it had me keeping up on movies weekly and was a lot of fun to listen to.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

All systems goku and The Hotspot and Danswers easily.

All are the definition of content I didn't think I needed till it was introduced.

Shoutout to 8-4 play and Aftermath show though, both easy listenings.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Danswers and All Systems Goku I feel are powerhouse choices, hard to beat. Power Bombcast was always a threat.

I did really appreciate Bomb after Reading though.

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The return of the Hot Spot (Giant Bomb ed.) should become it's own premium podcast.

Jeff, Brad, Alex, and Vinny all have easy, wonderful chemistry with each other, which translates into very good podcast fodder. If feels like the old Bombcast (minus Ryan - RIP), when everyone was in SF together, which I miss.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I chose the underdog answer of 8-4. Newer Japanese games don't get much play on other GB stuff and I also like hearing anecdotes about living in Japan. You know for guys who are extremely busy working on video game localization they sure seem like they're still genuinely enthusiastic about games. Powerbombcast is probably a close second. It was an enjoyable listen for a time until I realized just how poisoned by irony it had become. Haven't heard the Hotspot at all so I can't really speak to it.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ToughShed

I voted All Systems Goku. Great way to rewatch DBZ. Really wish they had done or will maybe???? do original Dragonball.

Film and 40s is a close 2nd, as I love podcast commentary kind of stuff.

I also am a big fan of the Powerbombcast even though I hardly watched anything they were talking about at the time... now I'm really into AEW and there's no podcast. It's too bad.

But also all these are good. I really wish they did more small series and one off podcasts and weird stuff.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

shoutout to the one other person who voted for bombin' the am!

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i miss danswers- mostly because i miss the hosts and their guests. there was an earnestness to that show that i wholeheartedly salute.

Chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed Danswers, All Systems Goku and currently enjoying The Hotspot but my vote goes to A Very Ryckert (whatever). When those popped up on the site it was a stop what I'm doing and download this type of thing for me. Dan and his dad just talking and shooting the breeze was a very fun and real look into the relationship those two had.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By redwing42

@mikewhy said: shoutout to the one other person who voted for bombin' the am!

Was my second choice, but I had to go with Alt+F1, since I still listen to Shift+F1 and it literally got me into watching a whole new sport. Also, Drew is the best of us all. I did really enjoy Scoops and the Wolf, though. Powerbombcast was also a good listen at times.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shift+F1 makes me miss Drew on the site a heck of a lot

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Powerbombcast for me, closely followed by the F&F Film & 40s and Danswers. It was nice listening to them and hearing them not only talk about what was going on, but it also let me know that I wasn't crazy and most wrestling stuff then was terrible... Plus, Jared Rae's wrestling nerdiness, Dan's enthusiasm, Alex's 'begrudgingly respectful' appreciation, and Jeff's nihilism towards current wrestling was a great mix.

I'd also consider the GOTY podcasts as part of the 'on-brand' podcasts, seeing as they show in the Bombcast feed on podcast apps and the Bombcast section of the website.

souldeux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a software engineer, the Giant Devcast is my jam

Avatar image for knightdehumidifier
KnightDehumidifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where is my Nintendownload X-Press? How else am I supposed to know about what Nooooooo or Cinemax (the other one) and what DTP Young are making for my DS and Wii systems? Who will tell me the latest on My Notebook variants? What other podcast has the most exclusive knowledge on Jam City Roller Girls? That's the best one and I want no one to say otherwise.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Danswers was a nightmare, especially from a moderation standpoint. That show had a really hard time trying to pick an identity for itself - they arbitrarily bounced between ironic and sincere responses, and they didn't lean into their joke answers as much as something like My Brother My Brother And Me which meant the tone of the show was randomly inconsistent. They also tried to tackle a lot of not-funny questions about both relationships and depression which, while well-intentioned, only served to reveal just how limited their combined life experience was; The advice offered was often misinformed and led to some extremely angry and frustrated responses (which the Dan's completely ignored and left the moderators to clean up) to the extent that it often just felt like trolling on their part. That's fine if you're just going to deal with light topics, but Dan Ryckert telling someone with depression to "go for a run" is part of the reason I found it difficult to vibe with his ignorant (feigned or otherwise) sense of humour the rest of the time.

Having said that I think All Systems Goku is some of the best content the site has put out in years, so overall he gets a pass.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 63

I had a hard time picking between The Hot Spot and Scoops and the Wolf. I have enjoyed most of these, but those two are at the top for me.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love to re-watch movies with either fun or informative commentator tracks so I will go with Film & 40s. It's pretty fiddly to set up (find the movie, preferably the right version, line up the audio and get a good mix between the movie and the commentator track) so I understand if its not the most downloaded podcast ever. But I would still love to see more of it in the future.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

There are too many there of too many different types to answer. I think 8-4 Play needs to be ist own thing because it is a podcast HOSTED on Giant Bombs site. I listen to it every damn week, so it woudl be hard not to say it not my favorite or most listened other podcast.

I think ALt F1 was awesome. Danny and Drew did a great job to make F1 interesting to an outsider.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

All Systems Goku was too beautiful for this world. Perfect time, place, and content.

I love Film & 40s, but there's so much setup (and it REALLY doesn't work standalone, separate from the movies) that it gets disqualified. Power Bombcast has a special place in my heart for making me PISSED they didn't turn Roman supernatural and have him absorb Undertaker's powers...