• 152 results
taiterfry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By taiterfry

Alex’s somber ending “I never had my game win as I thought going in this was my year” I haven’t checked the data but I feel like more often than not Jeff is the one who gets “his” game on the top of the list.

Super Mario Maker over MGS:V is a perfect example of this.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By Zevvion

@stumblebee said:

(Hello! This is my first post on these forums. I registered for the GB forums years ago when they first opened, forgot that login and tapered off of this website for years until the 2014 GOTY podcasts. Thought they were really fun to listen to but only really started paying attention to Giant Bomb content after listening to the 2017 GOTY podcasts.)

Anyway, I enjoyed most of the awards but now that I have about 100 hours of Giant Bomb GOTY podcasts under my belt, I have a few outside-looking-in ideas on how they could improve their offerings.

Maybe finally create a Best Looking: Technical Category. I think it's really hard for games like Uncharted, Horizon, and Star Wars Battlefront to get props in the Best Looking category when you have games like Inside and Cuphead that not only look really good, but also have an incredible sense of art direction to go along with it. There were a few times during this year's deliberations where Jeff said something to the effect of "This game would be on the list if we had a Best Looking: Technical category." I'd love to see their deliberations on that. I want to know what they think was the most 4K, 'woah look at that water,' 'I can see the pores on their face' game of the year.

Hammer out what a category is before you go live with discussions. My issue with this isn't even with Best World. It's actually with Best Styyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyle. I'd like to know what they mean when they separate a game that simply has style from a game that has styyyyyyyyyyyyyyyle... Still salty over Galax-z winning this award a few years ago.

Be less afraid of non-binding group votes A few times during the deliberations, someone would propose a non-binding vote to get the temperature of the room, and someone else would reject that, saying that they don't want to taint the rest of the categories' deliberations. At a certain point, there's not much else to say, and a vote not only breaks up the monotony of the same arguments, but serves as a valuable gauge to see where everyone else stands.

Think up a way to break stalemates. I don't care if you do it through a vote, formal mini-debate with opening and closing arguments, or a coin flip. Once you hit the point of two people going back and forth with the same arguments, there's gotta be something that gives sooner than the natural conclusion of the discussion.

Here is the history of Best Looking category. Games in bold are what would qualify as technical achievements.

2016: Inside (Uncharted 4, DOOM)

2015: The Witcher 3 (Ori, Rise of the Tomb Raider)

2014: Guilty Gear (Destiny, Neverending Nightmares)

2013: The Last of Us (Battlefield 4, Proteus)

2012: Journey (FarCry 3, Fez)

2011: The Witcher 2 (Rayman Origins, Dead Space 2)

2010: Kirby's Epic Yarn (Hot Pursuit, Limbo)

2009: Uncharted 2 (Arkham Asylum, A Crack in Time)

Technical games win 50% of the time (4/8) and make up 54% of the nominees (13/24). I kind of think they are doing the category fine considering the stats.

@lead_dispencer said:

Alex’s somber ending “I never had my game win as I thought going in this was my year” I haven’t checked the data but I feel like more often than not Jeff is the one who gets “his” game on the top of the list.

Super Mario Maker over MGS:V is a perfect example of this.

Please do not remind me of the Super Mario Maker debate. I still cannot believe when Brad made the irrefutable argument that the game's lack of curation made it random if you had a good time with it or not, Jeff's counterpoint of 'you can say that is a big deal, but it actually is totally not' prevailed. I understand when people who love Mario and had the randomness work in their favor had a good time with it, but goddamn if I did not and couldn't for the life of me ever change that. Cool concept in theory, but without a doubt the worst Nintendo game I have ever played.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@ahifi: You can buy every achievement in the game with the currency you earn playing it. You don't have to do anything to collect 100% of the trophies or achievements in the game you don't want to, including beating extremely challenging bosses or looking up skirts.

Yoko Taro is an odd prankster who likes joking around, if you ever read or listen to any of the few interviews he gives it's apparent he doesn't take interacting with the public or the press seriously. The Polygon article you linked also has a photo-shopped image in it - here's an article about it that includes the original image which isn't nearly as detailed as the Polygon piece would have you think.

@zevvion - I think it's Guilty Gear is a prime example of why "technical" can fail as a definition. That game is a technical masterpiece. They made a game with 3D models look like a 2D sprite based fighter which allowed them to do some crazy things with special moves busting flawlessly into and out of 3D. It's part of the reason people are flipping out about the new Dragonball game. They took a property that more people like and they put it in what's probably the best looking 2D engine around. And nobody else has come close to doing that.

I don't think Destiny is any more technically impressive graphically than Guilty Gear and I mean technically impressive. Not aesthetically, but technically more impressive than nice sky boxes and sci fi guns with sci-fi particle effects.

CrazyCarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By CrazyCarl

Just finished listening to the game of the year podcasts. I'm sure if/when Abby re-listens to the content she'll cringe quite a bit. As most have said here, certainly enjoy her take on things, but she made the content more difficult to listen to.

Avatar image for washablemarkers
washablemarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#156  Edited By washablemarkers
@taiterfry said:

1. As the crew grows, I feel like these discussions are in need of an outside moderator of some kind, just to keep things moving and to keep people from talking over each other.

This is a good idea. It's not necessarily practical (who would have the time, how would they get paid, etc) but it would really help smooth the conversations out.

taiterfry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taiterfry said:

1. As the crew grows, I feel like these discussions are in need of an outside moderator of some kind, just to keep things moving and to keep people from talking over each other.

This is a good idea. It's not necessarily practical (who would have the time, how would they get paid, etc) but it would really help smooth the conversations out.

The time thing is key. Consider that the crew did 25+ hours of podcasts for this year's GOTY. That's a bit much, and a moderator probably would have cut that down to something maybe a bit more manageable.

My perfect choice for a moderator (which will never happen) would be Danny O'Dwyer. He's got the right attitude and personality to keep the inmates in line. Like I said, never happen for a variety of reasons.

Austin might be good too, especially when it comes to drawing more out of the crew than "I think it's good" and that kind of thing. I remember a comment on one of the GOTY podcasts when Austin was working at the site saying he seemed to draw more out of Jeff in particular, and causing everyone to up their game a bit.

shinofkod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@ahifi: Actually you can get the 100% completion without ever doing that.