User Lists: 2

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#5902  Edited By FLStyle

@redhotchilimist: I can confirm that of DBS characters these would probably have been the three I'd go for.

The FGC however seems to enjoy taking shots at DBFZ for the multiple versions of Goku & Gohan however, Ultradavid especially. And in the fighting game point of view I get it, I really do, shoto clones, multiple coloured MK ninjas etc. I can see why they'd have such a reaction.

But as much as I'm a fighting game person, I am a DBZ/DBS person and these are the most sought after characters & the DragonBall community needs must come before the FGC, even if this is looking to be a popular tournament game. Otherwise you have games that don't sell for shit as Capcom has experienced.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm ready for Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@flstyle: I don't think many people taking potshots at The Gokus are serious. David, of all people, is a player who is 98% concerned with functions. At the end of the day he won't care if there's a bajillion Gokus as long as they have diverse and interesting playstyles. Unless one of them is a red robot. It feels like an extension of people ironically goofing on the anime, very unlike all the people who feel the incessant need to shit on Capcom at every opportunity, deserved or not.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Hey All!

Tonight we will be hosting the final PS4 Guilty Gear XRD Rev2 tournament of 2017. You can sign up here: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/lShli2DTUN but remember you must be in the discord so you can communicate match info and get the lobby info. There be prizes/game raffles to participants.

We've gotten a lot of new players and its been a blast running these tournaments since Rev 2 dropped this year. Looking forward to another year of growing a community around the new games (BBTAG/DBFZ) and whatever Daisuke has in store for us with the future of Guilty Gear.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5909  Edited By Ford_Dent

So, early impressions of AE based on the three or four hours I dumped into it last night:

The new interface is shit hot. I like its look and I feel like it moves a bit faster transitioning into matches than it used to, although maybe that's just a placebo effect. The network was surprisingly stable post-launch too, which shouldn't really be impressive but it is nevertheless impressive. You can pick your V trigger before every match, which is also cool, but at the same time I kind of picked a V trigger and stuck with it (it helps that Sakura's V trigger 1 is not terribly impressive unless you are good at juggle combos, which I am decidedly not). I haven't actually tried out any of the Arcade modes yet, as I just kind of jumped into Sakura's challenges and alternated between cursing at those (I think I've successfully pulled off five of them, but the ones that rely on her V trigger 1 I just can't get the timing down on) and sitting in training mode matchmaking. Sakura is fun as shit to play, I like her V-skill's versatility (as a former Cammy main, I appreciate a V skill that gives you options) but I don't have a good handle on the range for the throw variant of it yet. I'll probably mess around with some other characters later, but after waiting three years for Sakura to show up I was just really excited to play as her. I should also point out that her costumes are real fucking good! I didn't expect to like her story costume as much as I did, but as it turns out it is pretty rad. The battle costume is fucking king, though. No getting around that. THEY GAVE MY GIRL PANTS.

DarlingDixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5910  Edited By DarlingDixie

So is it true that Zangief does close to 500 damage with v-trigger 2? I was hoping v-triggers would get nerfed, because they offer such easy comeback chances and I heard their damage was going to get nerfed. I know people thought ultra combos in SFIV were cheap for this same reason, but the v-trigger system in V is even worse in that regard.

Disappointed if true but I'm looking forward to seeing how DBZ fares.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand why people be mad about thirsty sakura in the story mode.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hmoney001:Ibuki defined thirsty. Sakura has been into the same dude for like 20 years. Too bad Ryu has less of an idea what a vagina is than even Goku...

I'm digging Super 5 except for an extremely annoying bug that causes arcade mode to lock up if you have a USB device connected. You know, like a GODDAMN FIGHT STICK!!!!!

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some new combos thanks to a new v-trigger is fine i guess, v-triggers weren't all that exciting to me in the first place, the most important change in AE for me is faster loading times on PC, because jesus christ (i haven't tried online yet so i don't know if that's the same or not).

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darlingdixie: Lol if you're annoyed with V-Triggers as a comeback mechanic enjoy Sparking Blasts in DBFZ, it's like MvC3 X-Factor on steroids.

As far as reducing the damage on triggers goes, they've increased the scaling on V-Trigger cancels so those combos do way less damage. Also Gief's V-2 only gives him a bonus 130 damage to a single SPD which is not that much for 2 bars. You aren't going to be making a "comeback" off an extra 130. That bonus damage gets dropped to 50 if you combo into the SPD.

DarlingDixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5915  Edited By DarlingDixie

@starvinggamer said:

@darlingdixie: Lol if you're annoyed with V-Triggers as a comeback mechanic enjoy Sparking Blasts in DBFZ, it's like MvC3 X-Factor on steroids.

As far as reducing the damage on triggers goes, they've increased the scaling on V-Trigger cancels so those combos do way less damage. Also Gief's V-2 only gives him a bonus 130 damage to a single SPD which is not that much for 2 bars. You aren't going to be making a "comeback" off an extra 130. That bonus damage gets dropped to 50 if you combo into the SPD.

Well the amount of times people land a stray hit just from buffering v-trigger behind a normal, only to then go into a 400+ damage combo or combo into a 50/50 into stun was sickening, mostly looking at Balrog and Ibuki with that one. It's not as bad as level 3 Vergil killing an entire team in 10 seconds, so that's something.

I hope they do a better job at balancing v-triggers in this version because if you look at 'vanilla' SFV, Fang's v-trigger compared to almost anyone else is such a joke...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darlingdixie: Yeah, the stray hit into VTC damage has been reduced a lot. Also Balrog and Ibuki got hit pretty hard with the nerf hammer, especially Ibuki. More lackluster V-Triggers got minor buffs like Vega's and Ryu's, and FANG's V-Trigger in particular got a big buff. Also almost all of the new V-Triggers fall somewhere between powerful and interesting. Zeku's V-Trigger 2 is the only one I think is really meh.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5917  Edited By StarvingGamer

First major for AE, how many Abigails in top 8?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys, got myself AE but did not touch SF since probably a decade.

Is Ryu still the most useful pick for a beginner? Only found some season 1 forum posts that point heavily towards him but not sure if this is still valid nowadays.

Personally I was always kinda preferring Ken but since he is more noticeable different from Ryu in SF5 do those changes translate into a steeper learning curve?

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfstein_3d: I think you'll be just fine learning Ken instead of Ryu if that's what you want to do. I suggest, if you want to start at the absolute basics, checking out Gief's Gym as a way to find your feet. There's lots of good beginner videos floating around youtube as well (I wanna say Shoryuken.com has links to some of the better ones). But yeah, Ken is pretty easy to pick up and play - he plays enough like Ryu that he's still pretty beginner friendly.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5920  Edited By hmoney001
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5921  Edited By StarvingGamer

@wolfstein_3d: A lot of people point to Cammy as being a better character for learning SFV specifically. Trying to pick up Ken could be rough depending on your general fighting game abilities. Many of his tools require very fast reactions to use properly, faster reactions than I personally don't have. It also depends on what sort of playstyles you prefer, if any. It might be worth playing through some of the character trials and seeing who feels fun to play.

EDIT: Also we have a very active SF community in our Discord which you should totally join, lots of knowledgeable players there who would be happy to let you pick their brains about the game. https://discord.gg/nGXFQg2

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@wolfstein_3d: with very few exceptions, I would say just to pick the character that looks coolest to you. SFV is really good I think about making each character accessible enough to be playable when you start. The ceiling/style/tech requirements for each have so many variables at different skill levels. I really wouldn't stress about it!

Like SG mentioned, you should join the GB FGC discord! We are having our first tournament Saturday and all are welcome. Good day to get in some casuals as well, before & after the tourney.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone had any trouble getting controllers working with SFV Arcade Edition on Steam? I used to play SFV with an Elite controller (haven't played SFV in 6 months or more, though), but as of updating to AE it doesn't respond, despite Steam recognizing the controller and the controller working fine with other games. I can navigate SFV's menus with the keyboard, but not with the controller.

I haven't been able to turn up any leads from some quick googling and fiddling around with settings menus. It's not the most urgent thing, but if anyone has already encountered and fixed this issue then I'd appreciate some guidance.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5924  Edited By Belegorm

@wolfstein_3d: I think that execution-wise at a low level you can kinda get Ryu's gameplan of smart simple play more easily, Ken's is a bit more challenging as starting out I definitely think it helps more to learn defense first, offense second. That said with Ken that plan works just as well.

Ryu, Cammy, and to a lesser extent Ken all have pretty easy execution so it's easier to be able to do what you want when you want. I think that with Ryu or Ken basic fireball traps are really helpful as a low level player.

I think two of the best characters starting out are Necalli or Birdie, both very solid, honest characters that you can learn fundamentals with.

On a personal note, I got back into SFV over the past month or two, and found success with Balrog, finally making it into Silver after two years. That said, I think I owe a lot of that to playing him in USF4 and I got a lot of mileage out of playing on auto-pilot, flowcharting basically and since he doesn't seem to be the most common character (especially here in Japan) at lower levels, I feel like people were unfamiliar with him. Me going on auto-pilot (and nerfs) lead me to experiment with different characters again (character identity crisis has been the name of the game forever for me in SFV), and due to low execution requirements I'm working on Cammy.

I've been terrible at combos for years, I'm horrible at hit-confirms. Yet I can do some with Cammy which is great. But I am terrible at figuring out what the hell is my gameplan with Cammy. I want to win with solid neutral footsies and what not and good pressure, which I kinda got around with Balrog (rush punches put you in their fast real fast). I'm terrible at super fast pressure strings, frame traps leading to confirms into damage so I've dropped to bronze again (also my Balrog isn't doing so hot either).

I guess I should expect it; I got bad habits from playing Balrog and this is the first time playing a really fast character so my brain has to adapt and I need to learn a strong neutral. And once I learn how to actually pressure her and threaten people the way I did with Balrog things will hopefully go better.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@all Thank you for the input. I will settle with Ryu for now, from a gameplay point of view Karin and Camy look extremly appealing to me.

@fnrslvr Elite controller works fine for me even after the AE update.

Maybe you wanna try to completely remove it from your PC. Unplug it first, then go to the Device Manager, enable "Show hidden devices" (under "View" in the top command panel). Go to Human Interface Devices, right click the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller entry and select uninstall device.

Reboot the pc, connect the Pad again and see if it works in game now.

On a side note, I could get a new TE2+ for roughly 120 Euro or a Panthera for 160. Wonder if the Panthera would be the smarter choice. I primarily play on PC and it seems out of the box the TE2 isn't working on PC.

Mad Catz had a PC driver released at some point but with them going bankrupt it's not as straight forward to make it work (driver for sure still out there available but the generic Mad Catz download link doesnt work anymore).

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5926  Edited By fnrslvr

@wolfstein_3d: Yeah, I know I can go through varying levels of disconnect/disable/reinstall troubleshooting to try to smoke out the problem. But it's just AE that's having the issue so far, and I'm nowhere near keen enough on SFV to go to the trouble right now. If someone else was more familiar with the particular problem I'm having and could pinpoint the cause it'd be a different story, but it's okay.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm: Ken is so hard! So many one-hit confirms to play him properly

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

Hey, thanks for updating the title with the tournament info! @starvinggamer I don't follow FGC stuff at all but I got really into Mystery Game Tournaments on Youtube for some reason (probably Dave Langs fault) and Frosty Fuastings is a name I recognized from those so I'm gonna watch that one live for sure.

I even made a youtube playlist for mystery game tournament videos to keep track of what I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLilwtd2yrCDao-94xQJTAmUDCDEVmfyD8

If anyone know any videos of old fun mystery videos that isn't on that playlist or maybe even not on youtube then send them my way. I like the real odd games that no one heard of ever like this one.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: One hit confirms are a real pain in the butt for me, on Cammy hitting cr.mk xx SA or st.hp xx SA is hard as hell. Another reason I'll probably never play Ken, except maybe out of Momochi fanboyism.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen: I try to keep the OP updated for majors, but @hassun in our Discord keeps us updated on pretty much everything so I'd recommend checking it out, and maybe stopping to say hi while you're there :D

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thankfully the SFV controller issue I was having disappeared after a system reboot, hopefully it doesn't come back.

Ryu seems mostly pretty similar. My frame traps seem a little more consistent, but crMK xx fireball seems to combo less often out of my frame trap combos, unless I'm imagining things and I always used to confirm tatsu at the end of those strings or something. I'm not sure what I'll do with the new special move -- it seems too negative to just throw out in neutral, which is a shame because I think it looks really cool, cooler than tatsu at any rate. I haven't played around much with the new V-trigger, maybe it'll be more useful than Ryu's original V-trigger against the opponents I face because I'm not having a lot of luck getting people to stop pressing buttons or going crazy. Otherwise I'm not sure what else I should be playing around with, and honestly at my level I should probably be focusing more on learning how to pick apart and punish bullshit in matchups so that people online stop steamrolling me with things that aren't real. (I'm probably not going to bother to do this.)

That said, I think I might want to learn a new main. Ideally one with good frame traps and space-controlling pokes, simple combos, and no charge attacks.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fnrslvr: The new special seems mostly to be good for comboing into KD when you aren't close enough to get a DP or Tatsu, and also to extend your damage off a close link MP cHP xx QCF+KK into DP

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fnrslvr: As someone who suddenly decided to start playing Cammy, she has all of what you're mentioning ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decided to get myself my first fight stick. Am leaning towards the TE2+, which I could get for roughly 120 Euro, or the Razer Panthera for 160.

Wonder if the Panthera would be the smarter choice. I primarily play on PC and it seems the TE2 doesn't support XInput out of the box.

Mad Catz had a PC driver released at some point but with them going bankrupt it's not as straight forward to make it work (driver for sure still out there available).

Would you recommend me to buy a TE2 still at that stage or should I go for the Razer one?

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Soulcalibur Trailer

Loading Video...

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5936  Edited By hassun

I see they are putting the Edge back in Soul.

Speaking of new trailers:

Loading Video...

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Guess I should expect more KoF 11 dudes which saddens me. They should've teased Ash first since now it seems like he's for sure going to be among the next batch of characters. Oswald is a neat get though, I always thought he was one of the cooler looking new characters in that game. The ones I still want most are Shingo, Blue Mary, Hinako, Rugal.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss Shingo. I want to reunite Team Scrub, Joe, Kensou, and Shingo. Not that the characters are scrubs, but the three of them would totally be scrubs in real life.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it seem like it's taking longer than usual for them to announce CPT 2018? I wonder if they had to scrap/shuffle plans because of how MvCI performed

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're just waiting for the Disney/Fox merger to finalize and they can put out the X-men character pass for MVCI, then it will become an FGC darling again.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Lately I find myself watching random grand finals of various KoF XIV tournaments. I'll probably never reach that high level of execution but boy do I enjoy watching it.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Real short notice, but Evo lineup predictions?

Mine:

• SFV
  • DBFZ (It'd be really cool if they let this game dethrone SFV for headline time slot if it gets more entrants, but I have my doubts)
  • Melee
  • Smash4
  • Tekken 7
  • Injustice 2
  • GGXrd Rev 2
  • BlazBlue
  • Acrimonious donation drive for 9th slot, UMVC3 gets up

Pretty uncertain about the 8th-9th slots of this lineup, so I just made a fun guess.

I tuned out of the FGC for a while and was pretty shocked at the state of MvCI when I came back. I thought MvCI would be such a guarantee for Mahvel's future that UMvC3 winning the donation drive the other year was just a wasted opportunity for another game to get a shot, but now I'm wondering if we'll get a Melee-style schism around UMvC3. I still won't be shocked if MvCI gets a slot, though. (But it better not get a Sunday slot.) Also if MvCI gets up, I'll be mildly surprised if we don't end up hearing all about how poorly run the tournanament for the game is at Evo.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...and all correct except for the donation drive prediction! (I'll also concede partial credit for BlazBlue because I didn't specifically nominate Cross Tag Battle.)

I'm glad that they didn't do the donation drive again. It would've been interesting to see who got up in a bidding war between, say, MvCI, UMvC3, KI, Pokken, Skullgirls, Them's Fightin' Herds, ... But I think two drives have kinda crippled a bunch of not exaclty thriving scenes and left everyone feeling pretty negative about what is meant to be a positive charity thing.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish multiple slots weren't given to Smash. They should just pick one and go with it. I guess it gets entrants and eyeballs so they're giving it 2 spots in the lineup. Follow the money.

niko_of_death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I am so unbelievably angry an unreleased game got in over KoF

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide: That seems a bit unfair to what are two very big and wildly different scenes. I don't care much about either game (though I'd go Smash4 over Melee for the character balance if nothing else), but I see this kind of double standard in the way people talk about the Smash games vs other games, where popularity for, say, SFV, is "overwhelming community passion", whereas popularity for the Smashes is "entrants and eyeballs". The truth is that the community passion and the business number-crunching are closely intertwined and people emphasize one or the other according to whether or not they share the passion for the game in question.

I'm not sure what you'd want in in place of a Smash game. fwiw, I think the reason that Mahvel is out in the cold has little to do with both Smashes getting in. If you were to blame any game it'd probably have to be DBFZ for basically eating Mahvel's lunch.

But really, Wizard could probably do a 9th game, I think he's just disgusted with MvCI. KI is by far my favourite fighting game and I'm sad that it's basically done as well, but I know that the KI community did the game in and for that reason I don't think it deserves another shot at Evo. MvCI is a little different because it never got a shot at Evo and because IG+MS >>>>>>>> Capcom as far as dev support and communication is concerned, but that's all the more reason for the community to put in overtime for the game. (Or UMvC3 if they like that game more? I don't follow Mahvel games.) Each of the Smash games' communities has put orders of magnitude more work into their games than MvCI's has, under as unsupportive a developer as any.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@niko_of_death: Ever since Evo Japan was confirmed I expected it to become the KoF Evo.

The list of main titles is exactly the one I predicted sans Mahvel.

I'm really curious about DBZF's player numbers at Evo. I'm currently expecting third highest but maybe I'm underestimating its success.

I also wonder if Zer0 quitting Smash 4 will affect that game's numbers and if so, in what way.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

I'm really curious about DBZF's player numbers at Evo. I'm currently expecting third highest but maybe I'm underestimating its success.

I could post a meme, but you know which meme it would be.

Seriously though, I expect easily 2k+ if the game "merely" excited the FGC and long-time Dragon Ball fans, and much higher (higher than peak SFV, because SFV didn't trade on an IP with broad non-FGC relevance and was a disaster at launch) if it reached as far beyond the FGC as it seems to have. Meanwhile I don't expect any of the returning games to substantially increase their entrant numbers, so I think DBFZ will have the highest or (absolute worst case) second highest number of entrants.