Fighting Games General EX Plus α

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By StarvingGamer

Welcome to your one stop shop for everything GB FGC FGT (Giant Bomb Fighting Game Community Fighting Game Talk) related. Pull up a chair, put a stick on your lap, and check this OP for details on upcoming streams and events. Also be sure to check out our Discord where we have tons of people grinding in casuals, talking tech, and running a variety of tournaments in a number of games.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I go and beg the mods to set up chat for us this weekend, I'm assuming we all want bgcallisto and nycfurby for Fri/Sat yeah?

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@starvinggamer: Whatever has GGXrd seems most important considering it's THE GG tournament. I'll put a vote for whatever stream has UNIEL if Xrd isn't going, that game is dope.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StarvingGamer

@belegorm: Most def, it's more I don't want to exclude the Smash streams by default but I'm pretty sure we'd rather have BB, MvC, UNiEL, P4A, and SG instead.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zella

Yay more late night SFV testing

Edit: Somehow ran into the same laggy Karin twice in a row. God she becomes impossible to fight when there is lag. Also it seems you can't counter her rekka moves, maybe that is only when crouching? It just seems dumb cause while it is technically a rekka there is a ton of delay between the moves.

Just lost a match where both rounds that they won they won with zero health cause I forgot you can't chip the opponent out unless it is a super.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Belegorm

Here's hoping they throw in Chun and Ken (maybe Ryu and who knows, possibly Fang at some point), during these tech checks.

I find it weird they consider Cammy a rushdown character in SFV but not Karin. They both are just really solid footsie characters that can mount a steady offense or play really lame too. If anything though I would put Karin as more rushdown-oriented though.

Fortunately for me, I'm pretty familiar with Cammy so I do have someone to play. Unfortunately most of my matches have been lag city so far, and I think joy2key with my ps3/ps4 stick is noticeably laggier than things should be.

Edit: Also maybe it's either that input lag from joy2key, or the program messing up the inputs, or SFV having weird input leniency, but I find it considerably harder on hitbox to do basic special moves compared to playing 3S on PS3 or PC.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Rushdown = every character.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright calling it for the night, finished just with a winning ratio and with 619 LP. Saw a couple great names, fought a 900 LP player going by WhensJUrien, and also a player going by FANGbus which I am ashamed to admit I found kind of funny.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StarvingGamer

Weird to see Nash there and not Ken but eh. Just messed around in training a bit with Cammy and it's real tough when I try to cancel a low into a DP into Super. I usually just get low into Super. I don't really want to play any of the characters though so I guess I'll call it there.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: Because of simplified inputs its very easy to get super instead of DP or vice versa; might have gotten worse since the first/second beta.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zella

God damn it I was hoping to sleep tonight

This game is great when the netcode is running fine but I find laggy matches in SFV much worse than laggy matches in USFIV.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh fuck Ryu? No, it's really late, I should bed.

Fuuuck

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok a few matches with Ryu done and now I gotta seriously stop. Finished things off with a cheesy V Trigger into Denjin Hadoken Chip Out win.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man Nash is back to the way he was in Beta 2. He got his full 530/620 damage and stun combo back and his cr.mp > f.mp target combo back. Also unless I've not realized this from all the previous beta's he can now v-trigger on block? Any other Nash players know whether this was a thing before that I never even tried to utilize?

Otherwise the matchmaking was near perfect for me, got matches within 10 seconds of being in training and they were all from my region.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n: Yea I thought so too, but I did think it could've been something I just simply didn't try. I hope it stays because it's pretty ridiculous being able to not only make specials safe on block but also cancel it into a cross up, cross over or overhead. Nash was a real blast to play in that last beta man you missed out.

Also those leaked costumes.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gah, seems ken was enabled right after I went to bed? damn

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn MK XL comes out on my birthday.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n: Seems like it's a "Komplete Edition", but also has a bunch of skins NOT in KP2. Presumably those will be sold separately, which is a bummer since they're finally putting out costumes for the new characters (though it seems Jacqi and Cassie just got Scorpion & Sub-Zero costumes respectively).

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

It's kind of shitty that these new costumes presumably won't be in KP2, and instead KP2 comes with a lot of costumes that are already available. I know I would be annoyed if I had already bought those costumes when I could have just waited for KP2.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Here's a beta code for SFV. First come, first serve.

MK4J-8FNT-K3xx with the last two letters being an abbreviation of a game whose real life auction house was met with derision from everyone and saw a pretty good console rerelease last year.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to see Karen getting tasteful alt costumes. #bestgirl

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like MK Kombat Pack 2, the new netcode and MK XL aren't coming to PC. I guess WB wants to avoid more PC refunds? I don't have the game on PC but fans who do must feel really burned at this point, that's really unfortunate.

I have absolutely no interest in MK XL (might as well add ":Tri-Borg Edition" to the name or something, these guys are really on a roll), but I guess it's good for those people that couldn't pick up the game last year. As much as I am disappointed with the game it still seems to have a strong community (at least compared to where the last two games were at this point) and they are making an effort to fix the online.

Speaking of online, I heard that the online in the last couple of "stealth" betas for SFV wasn't too great. I missed out on them, but does anyone have any thoughts on how the online play has been? Any concerns about the final product? We are less than a month away, after all.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By StarvingGamer

Ugh that Cammy costume looked alright until I realized she's wearing a coat and no pants...? Like, what the actual fuck?

EDIT: Like, give her some fucking hotpants or something, not just like obviously a pair of panties.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

A new thread? BONITA

The situation with Mortal Kombat 40 is dumb as hell. I hope they clear that up (aka Kombat Pack 2 better get all of the costumes)

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By StarvingGamer

Alright so we got chat for Frosty starting Friday after UPF though Sat then switching over to ESL for Sunday!\

EDIT: Also OP has been updated with better schedules from @acekingoffsuit and we're getting bgcallisto and nycfurby for those days

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mike Ross just beat Tokido and is on his way to beating Jwong o_O

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some good showcasing of what can be done in SFV here. Much better than the previous exhibitions where people were kind've clueless.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOOK AT THESE FUCKING PS4s!

No Caption Provided

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: Every time I see a white PS4 I regret not choosing a white PS4.

grandCurator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By grandCurator

@baronsamedi: Right? That thing looks god damn great.

@starvinggamer:I always forget that Mike Ross can actually be great at fighting games after watching Excellent Adventures for so long.

Unrelated to these two things, I've been playing Melty Blood again in anticipation of the steam release. That is still a DAMN fine fighting game.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Oh my goodness what happened to Cammy's pants. They're missing! What the hell is up with Laura too. That outfit looks like some cheap reduced clothing mod with MS paint textures.

And did they really take R. Mika's butt slap out of frame? Silly. That ain't risqué; her butt is the goddamn devil. Bad memories of that thing flying around the screen in Alpha 3, accompanied by her terrifying shouts. She's a menace! The super basically had a built-in taunt.

Officer Chun-Li is great though, as is battle-damage Bison.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess trying to edit thread titles from my iPad blows up the entire OP lesson learned.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hippie_genocide

Guys, help me out. I want to love SFV. I really do. But every time I play or watch it I get supremely bored. I get that they want to take it back to the fundamentals but I feel like maybe they've gone too far. In theory that should really appeal to me because my heyday with SF was back on Hyper Fighting but it's just not clicking with me. What am I missing? I want to find some enjoyment out of it since I know it's going to headline just about every major tournament for at least the next five years.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ivdamke

@hippie_genocide: We can't really help you if you just get bored. That's just a thing you're gonna have to deal with, it's a shame you don't enjoy it I guess?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide: I'd say give it time. SFIV was pretty boring early days as well. Did you watch the tourney tonight? Did you see when Combofiend went nuts on Mike Ross with Laura?

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer no I tuned in late and it was just casuals with gootecks and fourwude. I think they said tomorrow 6pst so I'll try and catch that.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bah have to work this weekend. I know our firewall doesn't block the chat but does block Twitch.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@hippie_genocide: Just embrace the down backing, it is the SFV method of champions. Aside from weird stuff that people are unfamiliar with to start with but eventually gets patched or adjustments are made. But generally speaking down backing is absolutely godlike in SFV.

For all you devout MKX fans there's a fairly large change in the beta build, breakers now deplete both players' stamina bars completely; which prevents the breaker from being useless defensively and might actually slow the game down a tad.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some Mad Catz V Cup results.

Team Mike Ross vs. Team Combofiend — Results

1. Team Combofiend

Zhi (Dhalsim, Zangief)

MCZ|Tokido (Nash)

EG|Justin Wong (Chun-Li)

Combofiend (Laura)

2. Team Mike Ross

RB|Snake Eyez (Zangief)

Gootecks (R. Mika, Ryu)

Floe (Chun-Li, Vega)

Mike Ross (Birdie)

Team Mike Ross vs. Team Combofiend — Battle log

• Combofiend (Laura) beat Mike Ross (Birdie) 2-0.

• Mike Ross (Birdie) beat EG|Justin Wong (Chun-Li) 2-1.

• Mike Ross (Birdie) beat MCZ|Tokido (Nash) 2-0.

• MCZ|Tokido (Nash) beat Floe (Chun-Li, Vega) 2-0.

• MCZ|Tokido (Nash) beat Gootecks (R. Mika, Ryu) 2-0.

• MCZ|Tokido (Nash) beat RB|Snake Eyez (Zangief) 2-1.

• RB|Snake Eyez (Zangief) beat Zhi (Dhalsim, Zangief) 2-0.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n: I actually had that thought with the costumes because of this trailer, which lists the included costumes as being the Kold War and Brazil packs (+Kold War Scorpion seperately). Turns out I missed the "Apocalypse Pack", which I assume is all the new costumes (though that seems like a lot for one pack).