Film & 40s: Listening Methods, Tips?

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I have a bad laptop, no good for movies. Got an iPad and phone, too. Outside of queuing the movie up on the iPad and having the podcast on my phone, then shoving some earbuds under my headphones (uncomfortable!) I’m not sure how to go about listening to a Film & 40s.

So, what do y’all do to play these things? Got any setup tips? Just looking to see if I’m totally blanking on a way to make what is otherwise a bunch of fun less of a chore.

Duct tape two things of too much alcohol to my hands if this has been asked before!

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't watch the movie and often listen to the riff track. I only listen to movies I know well, so it's like a seperate podcast about that movie really

floatingyuzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By floatingyuzu

While I usually just use my computer to play both at the same time last night I just used my phone with one headphone in for commentary and then just watched the movie on TV with speakers.

I'd say if you need to use headphones maybe go with one side movie and the other side commentary instead of overlapping headphones.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heelmaggle: I appreciate you, kind person. Now I don't have to worry about if I have to pause.

HeelMAGGLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HeelMAGGLE
No Caption Provided

@shagge: No worries. Ill try and do this for the entire season if I can. No promises

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By frytup

Honestly, if I actually cared about these movies as movies (or hadn't seen them before) I wouldn't be watching them with a yuk yuk commentary track.

I just mute the movies and turn on subtitles.

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanks for the suggestions, folks. heelMAGGLE really knocked it outta the park though :))

BeardDuder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Moskelosk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heelmaggle: Can't imagine posting a non-public domain movie and on top of that adding something that is premium content is seen as okey.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

I watch the movie. Then I watch the movie again but muted and with the Giantbomb commentary

Admiral_Crunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Admiral_Crunch

I listen to the podcast with my wireless headphones while watching the movie on tv with subtitles.

The biggest issue is making sure they are somewhat in sync. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it's got to make sense when things start moving fast.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

I usually don't care about synching up too much because I am getting drunk

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

With these sorts of things, GB or otherwise, I've always watched the movie through my TV speakers at a volume where I can still hear the dialogue but the sound effects aren't insane, then I listen to the podcast on my laptop set on the coffee table in front of me. In this setup both sound sources feel like they're coming from the same direction, but the laptop is several feet closer to me so its audio takes precedence in my processing of it.

If I've never seen the movie, I make sure to watch it on my own first, of course, so I can actually relate to the reactions the podcast is having. It'd feel pretty stupid to watch a movie for the first time this way unless I absolutely didn't care about it, but GB doesn't pick RedLetterMedia/MST3K-level bad movies so it's never felt appropriate.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Ravelle

Progress bars are not accurate enough to mark it on the 0.2 second, especially with different streaming services or media players if you downloaded it because not everyone is able to stream the 40's movies, like me. Even finding a good download was hard for a movie this old and obscure.

Usually what I do when I'm a bit out of sync is that I press pause on the podcast for 2 seconds and then resume, it usually syncs up with the movie then.

The hassle starts when you have to get to the bathroom for a bit or get some drinks and snacks and have to pause and resume both.