Final Fantasy VI iOS or PSN PS One Classic

Snigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Poll Final Fantasy VI iOS or PSN PS One Classic (106 votes)

iOS Yo! 6%
PSN PS one Man! 31%
Get a SNES Man--and it's FF III BTW 25%
Get the GBA version, it's seriously the best! 36%

With the iOS version having had just come out I was wondering if I should just spend some gift card money to get the classic (which I haven't played), or if I'd be better off just playing it on my Vita/PS3 with the PS One classic version. The other two options are there if I should seriously consider tracking those versions down.

I was hoping to wait and get a 3Dified version a la FF III/IV on the DS, but that probably won't ever happen. I need to play the game at some point so why not now?

• 
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Any version but the iOS version, though if you can get Final Fantasy VI Advance, that's the best option.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

if they change the name biggs and wedge then your probably playing the wrong version.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Look up screenshots of the iOS version and ask yourself if you want to play a game that looks like that for 30ish hours.

Of these, the GBA version is actually the best. The PS1 classics version has serious load times, apparently.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By cloudymusic

I personally prefer the SNES version; the PS1 version has annoying loads, and the GBA version has slightly worse-looking sprites. It does have more content, though, so unless you specifically have experience with (and an attachment to) the original version, the GBA one is probably overall the best choice.

Let's just not talk about the iOS version.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

The iOS version is the worst version because it's on a touch screen. You don't really want to play an old acclaimed SNES RPG by accidentally tapping the wrong command, do you?

I have played the PS1 version on a PSP and it's totally playable. However, you must remember that the game does have to load every battle and it does take a bit of time, plus menus feel a little sluggish. Actual gameplay is fine.

If you must play it on a big screen, then you could go looking for it on the Wii Virtual Console. I think it's on there, and that's the best way to legally play it on the big screen. If you don't have a Wii, then go looking for it on PSN so you can play it on your PS3.

The GBA version has a new and improved translation. I don't know remember how bad the old translation was, but if you don't mind playing it on a small screen and can still get a hold of this version, then do so. I would imagine that blowing it up to fit on a laptop or TV screen would look pretty bad, though. Also, some people think the music on this one doesn't sound as good as it did on the SNES version.

So, in short: GBA. Can't do that? SNES. Can't do that? PS1/N. Can't do that? Don't play it.

I've been playing the PSP version of Final Fantasy IV on my Vita and I'd love to see FFVI get that kind of treatment. It really needs it, this is supposed to be the best Final Fantasy and there's currently no real definitive way to play it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I don't know remember how bad the old translation was

It was rough in a 90s way (you can spot where Woolsey had to look up a word), but it was pretty good.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Justin258

@video_game_king said:

@believer258 said:

It was rough in a 90s way (you can spot where Woolsey had to look up a word), but it was pretty good.

A better question, then: Do you know if the GBA translation "pops", i.e. is it just dry prose or has it been written in an interesting way?

It's been a while since I tried to play this game so I don't remember, but if the only thing really wrong with the Woolsey translation is some roughness then I don't see it really being an issue unless the GBA version is really, really good.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king said:

@believer258 said:

A better question, then: Do you know if the GBA translation "pops", i.e. is it just dry prose or has it been written in an interesting way?

It's still got character; perhaps not in the same way as Woolsey's, but unlike Woolsey, it wasn't done by one guy locked in an office fighting against tight deadlines and early '90s Nintendo certification guidelines. (See also: Final Fantasy IV, Chrono Trigger.)

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258:

I haven't played the GBA version myself, but it does change some stuff around here and there (Setzer's a completely different character). From what I can tell, it goes like this:

FF6 SNES:FF6 GBA::FF3 NES Fan translation:FF3 DS actual translation

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

@hailinel:

I don't think Woolsey did FF4. In fact, I think Square brought him on because of the problems in FF4's localization.

Now, if you want to talk about strict circumstances screwing over a translation's quality, try Secret of Mana.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hailinel

@hailinel:

I don't think Woolsey did FF4. In fact, I think Square brought him on because of the problems in FF4's localization.

Now, if you want to talk about strict circumstances screwing over a translation's quality, try Secret of Mana.

Nope. Woolsey is Mr. Spoony Bard himself.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel:

Nope.

His first project with Square was the translation of Game Boy title Final Fantasy Legend III (known in Japan as SaGa III). To prepare for this job, Square asked him to study its translation effort forFinal Fantasy II (Final Fantasy IV in Japan) to ensure the kind of mistakes it had made on that project would not be repeated.[3

Motherfuckin' Wikipedia
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel:

Nope.

His first project with Square was the translation of Game Boy title Final Fantasy Legend III (known in Japan as SaGa III). To prepare for this job, Square asked him to study its translation effort forFinal Fantasy II (Final Fantasy IV in Japan) to ensure the kind of mistakes it had made on that project would not be repeated.[3

Motherfuckin' Wikipedia

Ah, I see. Interesting. My mistake, then.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@video_game_king said:

@hailinel:

Fun fact: Spoony Bard is still in the PSP version of FFIV.

Another fun fact: "Spoony" might be a good way to describe Edward, who is in fact a bard. So it's not actually that bad. It's still bad, but it's not technically bad.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel

@believer258 said:

@hailinel said:

@video_game_king said:

@hailinel:

Fun fact: Spoony Bard is still in the PSP version of FFIV.

Another fun fact: "Spoony" might be a good way to describe Edward, who is in fact a bard. So it's not actually that bad. It's still bad, but it's not technically bad.

It's actually a line that's survived every official retranslation, including the GBA version and the DS remake. That line is iconic in a way that few bits of video game dialogue could ever possibly be.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zelyre

While the GBA version has probably the best translation and extra content, graphically, it's not the same. The colors are tampered with and the GBA does have a different aspect ratio than a 4:3 TV.

The GBA version has a really gnarly instrument sample library. The GBA harp and piano samples are very different. Wind instruments lack vibrato in the GBA version.

There are pieces in the SNES version where there's very instrumentation that's very much background in nature that's there for texture that is brought to the forefront in the GBA version. So you get pieces where it sounds like someone's got a fever and the only cure is more cowbell.

And to top it off, the GBA version sounds very tinny and compressed.

I guess you could say it's 1080p 60fps vs. 600p upscaled 30fps. Some people notice and some people don't.

Since I can never embed youtube videos:

SNES

GBA

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@zelyre said:

While the GBA version has probably the best translation and extra content, graphically, it's not the same. The colors are tampered with and the GBA does have a different aspect ratio than a 4:3 TV.

The GBA version has a really gnarly instrument sample library. The GBA harp and piano samples are very different. Wind instruments lack vibrato in the GBA version.

There are pieces in the SNES version where there's very instrumentation that's very much background in nature that's there for texture that is brought to the forefront in the GBA version. So you get pieces where it sounds like someone's got a fever and the only cure is more cowbell.

And to top it off, the GBA version sounds very tinny and compressed.

I guess you could say it's 1080p 60fps vs. 600p upscaled 30fps. Some people notice and some people don't.

Since I can never embed youtube videos:

SNES

GBA

that's one of the biggest problems with the GBA releases, they just had limitations of the hardware. At times the GBA felt like a SNES in the palm of your hands but it was never really there. Sigh that sound chip was just off. I might still recommend the GBA ports if only because they are portable.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The PS1 version is intolerable. The load times add something like 2 hours to the 30 to 40 the game takes to finish.

The GBA version has some extra content, but looks and sounds worse. Though some freaks prefer the GBA's sound chip.

The SNES version is the best. The cartridge is easy enough to find and doesn't cost a whole lot: the game sold very well. An SNES isn't too expensive these days either.

If you're super tech-savvy, there's always this option:

Loading Video...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egg said:

get whichever version does NOT have randomly triggered encounters or let's you permanently disable them.

whichever version it is.. just get that one and that one only. Do not get any version with randomly triggered encounters, those versions must be given the cold shoulder. Treat them as though they do not exist. Games with RTEs must not move units period.

So I'll just go buy a copy on every platform, then. Except iOS because I'm irrationally against putting classics on a tiny screen that gets obscured by your fingers.

When I do finally play this game, it will likely be the PSN version. Would be nice to have access to it in both portable and console forms, even with longer load times.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have a vita/ps3, why wouldnt you get it on psn? You have access to a mobile and fullscreen version of the game that has superior controls. Make the obvious choice

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By TruthTellah

@snigs PSN PS One classic or SNES. Or SNES on PC or iOS emulator. Anything but the iOS version. It's an abomination.

It's like if someone had cast Miley Cyrus to play a young Helen Keller.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@naru-joe93: why wouldn't he get it on psn? exactly, who wouldn't want the added load times of a ps1 port?

he can complement his random encounter bullshit with load times too.

a marraige made in hell

god we're all such geniuses here

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egg said:

@naru-joe93: why wouldn't he get it on psn? exactly, who wouldn't want the added load times of a ps1 port?

he can complement his random encounter bullshit with load times too.

a marraige made in hell

god we're all such geniuses here

Clearly, you're the smartest and wisest of us all. Bestow us with more of your wit and wisdom, please.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre said:

While the GBA version has probably the best translation and extra content, graphically, it's not the same. The colors are tampered with

More specifically, they're far brighter. It was to make up for the first generation GBAs having no backlight to speak of (oh, remember those days when you had to play with what was essentially a USB book light that bent all over the goddamn place?). Eventually, somebody released a fan patch that knocked the colors back to their normal place.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By BlackLagoon

I could never stomach the GBA version whenever I heard it. The music just drives me crazy. The music in the PSOne version is slightly off at time IIRC, but still largely the same as the original.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought many GBA games suffered from that.. just play Mario world on a GB micro.. it looks bland. I instantly knew it was because it was made for GBA, I had a GBA at launch day and the screen was dim as crazy. I also heard rayman devs had to change the colors in the game at the last minute after getting actual GBA units. its supposedly why launch GBA games are darker than ones that came out later on.

@belieer258

That is all you have to say?

kinda weird if you think about it

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

All of the newer versions have had significant problems over the original, so I'd go classic SNES if you can get it. PS1 the load times make the game significantly more annoying, GBA has graphics/audio issues, and the iOS version is an iOS version of a game meant for a controller.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

There's really no best version of 6. I'd definitely say go for the psn version. Yes it has shitty load times, but people are making them sound way worse than they are.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"There's really no best version of 6."

yes, they all have randomly triggered encounters, effectively they are equally bad.

its like comparing dishes that have differing amounts or combinations of poo. great when you're a kid but after a while its like, why.. just why.

although SNES version is best. it has an edge in the fact it has original graphics and no load times, and it does not involve giving SE any money. by going with snes version you are freezing SE's bank.

play SNES version and after seeing how good it is, sing praises for it. and go online and recommend it to others. tell them to get the game on psn or iOS or virtual console. because FF6 is a master work, so what if it has random encounters , or loading times added in the ps1 cersion like some directors cut from hell, or if using Relm makes the game explode.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voted for the GBA version if that's an option to you, but if not then grab the PSone version on PSN. The loading times are a bit annoying, but not a game breaker.
From what I have seen and heard, the iOS version seems terrible.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egg: I'm enjoying the irony of a guy with a Shadow the Hedgehog avatar obnoxiously slagging off well-respected games.

Snigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOOOOOoooooo.......... I got the iOS version.

Now before you skin me alive for almost completely disregarding the results of my own poll, let me see if I can somewhat validate my reasoning.

1. The iOS version has all of the GBA content (translation/extras), but has the OG music.
  2. I don't mind the (obviously) lazy sprite redraws. Part of me actually prefers them because I've never been good at getting over the fact that I started with 3D jRPGs and that pixel art has never been that great to me.
  3. It actually has some really nice extra features:
    1. A fast forward button in battle that when toggled has you party repeat the last set of input commands. (So Locke can steal while every one else attacks or whatever)
    2. Quicksave
    3. Character portraits during dialogue
  4. The touch controls aren't horrible.
  5. I had money on a $25 gift card to burn.
viney212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How well are Sabin's blitz inputs handled on the iOS/Android touchscreen versions?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Video_Game_King

@snigs said:

1. I don't mind the (obviously) lazy sprite redraws

What?

I still.....what?
I still.....what?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egg said:

I thought many GBA games suffered from that.. just play Mario world on a GB micro.. it looks bland. I instantly knew it was because it was made for GBA, I had a GBA at launch day and the screen was dim as crazy. I also heard rayman devs had to change the colors in the game at the last minute after getting actual GBA units. its supposedly why launch GBA games are darker than ones that came out later on.

@belieer258

That is all you have to say?

kinda weird if you think about it

It's called "sarcasm". Try it someday.

You're so nuts over random encounters when anyone who is looking to play an older Final Fantasy game obviously doesn't mind random encounters that much. My favorite game from last year had random encounters, I'm playing two games with random encounters right now, and they're both excellent. Final Fantasy VI has random encounters in all of its incarnations.

@snigs said:

SOOOOOoooooo.......... I got the iOS version.

Now before you skin me alive for almost completely disregarding the results of my own poll, let me see if I can somewhat validate my reasoning.

1. The iOS version has all of the GBA content (translation/extras), but has the OG music.
  2. I don't mind the (obviously) lazy sprite redraws. Part of me actually prefers them because I've never been good at getting over the fact that I started with 3D jRPGs and that pixel art has never been that great to me.
  3. It actually has some really nice extra features:
    1. A fast forward button in battle that when toggled has you party repeat the last set of input commands. (So Locke can steal while every one else attacks or whatever)
    2. Quicksave
    3. Character portraits during dialogue
  4. The touch controls aren't horrible.
  5. I had money on a $25 gift card to burn.

Everyone says "Don't get the iOS version!" and then you get the iOS version. Why did you start a poll then?

At the very least, tell me that you're playing it on an iOS device with a relatively large screen.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudymusic:

it is ironic that people have such selective standards. If anything, that is what's obnoxious

and isn't it funny you say "well respected" but not "good".

op should ask himself, why even bother playing ff6 if it's so well respected? The ship has set sail.. why bother experiencing something several million already experienced FOR you and have presumably written everything there is to say about it? Why play a game if you already know its well respected, and having even a slightly different opinion results in critical or social suicide?

op got it on ios. thanks op, now we can expect more ports of classic games in the future.

and here's what SE will do, they will irreverently butcher the graphics, but leave all the random encounters perfectly intact. because that is sacred.

you voted with your dollars. we all have you to thank op.

since we're feeling charitable, why not make a donation to NAMBLA while you're at it?

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By thatdutchguy

PSN is the way to go, good ol' Playstation controller for an authentic experience.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egg said:

@believer258:

obv he needed help deciding, it wasn't just about the poll but hearing the pros/con's of each version and weighing everyone else's preferences against his own.

so back off!

Except the only con you've mentioned so far are random encounters. Random encounters are in every version of the game.

@egg said:

@cloudymusic:

it is ironic that people have such selective standards. If anything, that is what's obnoxious

and isn't it funny you say "well respected" but not "good".

op should ask himself, why even bother playing ff6 if it's so well respected? The ship has set sail.. why bother experiencing something several million already experienced FOR you and have presumably written everything there is to say about it? Why play a game if you already know its well respected, and having even a slightly different opinion results in critical or social suicide?

op got it on ios. thanks op, now we can expect more ports of classic games in the future.

and here's what SE will do, they will irreverently butcher the graphics, but leave all the random encounters perfectly intact. because that is sacred.

you voted with your dollars. we all have you to thank op.

since we're feeling charitable, why not make a donation to NAMBLA while you're at it?

My God, man. Calm down.

embryonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't the GBA version censor some things? Or am I totally making that up?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@embryonic:

Celes is no longer tied up when you first meet her, mainly because CERO wasn't around to stomp that down when FF6 was first released.