Finger placement while gaming

SamChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't really know if I'm the only one that uses a keyboard like this, but whenever I play some game, doesn't matter, my pinky is on the a button, my ring finger on w, my middle finger is on s and the index finger is on d, thumb is used for the z, x, c, v, space, etc, but since I started playing games, my fingers were placed like this on the keyboard, and if I try to use my right hand on the keyboard it feels unnatural, probably because I use the mouse with my right hand.
Really curious on what people think about this, even though I don't think anybody's gonna respond to this lmao

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

That seems like a pretty wild arrangement to me - don't you get hand cramp from that? I personally use the traditional ring on a, middle on w/s, index on d, little finger for shift/ctrl if I'm doing FPS-style stuff. Obviously it's different for the likes of Dota or StarCraft, where it more closely resembles a normal typing setup.

I've also encountered people who shift it across and use pinky on a, ring for w/s, middle for d - but I think you're the first person I've heard say they use all four fingers for the WASD setup.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By haneybd87

I use ring, middle, pointer for WASD moving middle between W and S and I’m pretty sure that’s the norm. No need to have fingers on both since you can’t move back and forward at the same time and I can’t think of any situation where you would need to quickly move forward and back like you would for side to side strafing.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah, weird finger placements to make Z, X and C reachable is one of those things about PC gaming where I say "Fuck this" and bought a Logitech G300s so those out-of-the-way keys are bound to the mouse instead.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That seems like I would get a horrible cramp in my hand after 5 minutes of play. But if it's comfortable and works for you then enjoy.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

My keyboard fingers stay on standard, boring configuration. Index on D, middle on W, ring on A, pinky on Shift/Ctrl, thumb for space/alt. It works exceptionally well for me.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I just want to know why we still use WASD when ESDF or RDFG would give us so many more key pressing options.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MattGiersoni

I've seen others play like you do, but honestly, it shouldn't matter. If you're comfy playing with that kind of finger placement then continue to do it! I've always had my finger placement exactly like Justin258, it just feels natural to me and right hand on the mouse, tho sometimes I switch my mouse to the left side and use the left hand on it but the finger placement on the right hand stays the same (only thumb and pinky is switched).

I usually use a controller these days anyway but speaking of controllers, I feel like I'm a weird person for never using the so-called "claw-grip" and I've seen plenty of people say it's the ideal way to play many games, with the Souls series in particular, it feels so unnatural to me but again, I think everyone should play the way they want to and not care about others hate on that matter.

Here's a gallery someone made of the "claw-grip" https://imgur.com/gallery/n0rfx and I always found it fascinating. I can kinda understand why would one play like this but I just can't do it. Ever since I started gaming, I've almost always had my index finger and middle finger on triggers (L1/L2/R1/R2) and just use my thumbs to super quickly use all the other buttons or sticks. Still, everyone should play however they want to and it's nobody's business.

Side note: Why do you have an anime girl with a swastika armband, presumably doing a nazi gesture as an avatar? Kinda fucked up.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Side note: Why do you have an anime girl with a swastika armband, presumably doing a nazi gesture as an avatar? Kinda fucked up.

Good pick up and an excellent question.

Yeah...seriously...even if it's being done ironically it's kinda fucked.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Huh, my immediate impression is that it would be harder to reach shift and control, which are often mapped to sprint and crouch, although you can always remap. I do see a benefit in situations where you need to press any of the keys on the right side while retaining full movement control.

chipultra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly try not to think about it. What ever feels right for the game. I find if I think about it too much it will effect my gameplay and even enjoyment of the game. I also don’t play too many pc games either.

Ketta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always rest my index finger on F for normal home row typing, then I typically rebind crouch to F in most games unless F is already a use key, in which case I use C.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_insano: If I had seen that I never would have bothered replying. That’s some alt-right imagery if I ever saw any.

SamChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexl86: well whenever I use shift I just move my pinky over to shift, my ring finger goes to a and my middle finger goes to w, for ctrl I don't move my fingers at all, I just lean my hand and touch it with the side of my hand, it's really weird, for alt I use my thumb, pinky for tab, caps and tilde key if I have to use those keys

retrometal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The proper finger placement while gaming is... on a controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SamChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty: nah nah, just another random fella

Hameyadea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hameyadea

Little: Caps Lock, L-Shift (<- the "resting place"), L-Ctrl.

Ring: Q, A (<- the "resting place"), Z.

Middle: W (<- resting place is on the gap between those keys ->), S, X.

Index: E (<- resting place is on the gap between those keys ->), D, C, R, F.

Thumb: Space (around the area where the gap between the C and V keys is in the row above), L-Alt, B.