First-person shooter fans, do you use "bumper jumper" controls?

• 63 results
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Poll First-person shooter fans, do you use "bumper jumper" controls? (187 votes)

YES! I use them in each and every FPS that I play. 2%
Yes. In almost all FPS games, but there are some that I don't. 5%
Yes, but only in about half of the FPS games I play. 2%
Yes, but only in one or two games. Most FPS games I don't play that way. 13%
Nope. I've tried it, but I didn't like it. 24%
Never tried it, because I don't think that I'd like it. 25%
I hadn't even heard of this until now. 17%
I don't need to. I use a scuf controller, or another controller with extra buttons. 6%
I don't really play FPS games or I just want to see the answers. 6%

I was thinking this might make an interesting poll. When given the option in-game--or when you can customize your controls through the system itself--do you use "bumper jumper" style controls?

For those who don't know, I believe "bumper jumper" originated with Halo 3 on the Xbox 360. Essentially, it means a control option that allows players to jump with one of the two shoulder or "bumper" buttons placed right above the triggers.

Assuming the left trigger aims and the right trigger shoots, some players prefer to map their jump to the left shoulder button. This allows players to jump and shoot with ease, but doesn't allow aiming down sights while jumping. It's good for close-range combat, where aiming down sights isn't important.

Other players prefer the jump on their right shoulder button. This doesn't allow you to traditionally jump and shoot at the same time, but some people get around that fact by jumping with their pointer finger, and shooting with their middle finger.

Either of these solutions requires the player to remap the functions that used to be associated with the shoulder button in question, which means doing so isn't always worth it. Lethal grenades, tactical grenades, melee attacks and special abilities can all become harder to use for players who use bumper jumper layouts. But what you sacrifice in their ease of access, you gain in mobility. In some games, it can be extremely useful to jump and turn at the same time.

Personally, I'm in the "often but not always" crowd. In Advanced Warfare and Black Ops III, I felt that increased movement was more important than quick access to tactical grenades. In Destiny, however, I felt constantly recharging melee and grenade abilities were just too important to sacrifice for better movement.

In Titanfall, movement is so important that I can't imagine playing the game without jump mapped to a shoulder button. In Borderlands, I'd rather have quick access to my character power, and jumping and shooting at the same time isn't really needed.

So what about you? Do you use bumper jumper controls, and in what games do you use them?

• 
Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

In Halo I use it exclusively, since I mostly play SWAT and being able to jump and aim at the same time is integral. For Call of Duty or Battlefield I see no need to be jumping most of the time so stick to standard controls.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm not a monster.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By nicolenomicon

The few times I've played Halo at a friend's house I did use bumper jumper, yes. Any other FPS I play on my PC so it doesn't matter obviously.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@humanity said:

I'm not a monster.

This.

Jump goes on X or Square (Or A/X) on a controller. Shoulder buttons are for ADS, shooting and secondaries like grenades or abilities.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5 MooseyMcMan  Online

I recently played Doom with the controls set up with jump on L1, so...definitely at least sometimes.

Hey, it felt like a game where I should be able to jump and aim at the same time. Certainly seemed more useful than grenading.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought about trying it out with Overwatch, but never otherwise. There are some characters in Overwatch where the extra movement seems particularly useful, like Genji, that I've thought about changing it for.

LiamEyers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LiamEyers

Confused at the lack of an "I use a mouse and keyboard, like God intended" option.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I don't think I've ever used anything other than spacebar for jump.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Monkeyman04

@liameyers said:

Confused at the lack of an "I use a mouse and keyboard, like God intended" option.

@beachthunder said:

I don't think I've ever used anything other than spacebar for jump.

I can't add anything to this since it's already been said.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And I'm baffled by anyone who would come into a thread about "bumper jumper" controls and complain about there not being a PC option. It's like coming into a poll about overclocking your CPU, and then saying "I can't overclock a PS4 CPU. Where's the poll option for console owners!"

Maybe just click the "I don't need to. I use a scuf controller, or another controller with extra buttons" option, and then leave it at that.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By mike
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:

Because mouse & keyboard isn't a controller? I just won't answer since the title of this topic should clearly have been "Console first person shooter fans..." instead.

I didn't think it was much of an oversight. I believe if I were a PC only gamer or primary keyboard and mouse user, I'd click the thread, see it wasn't about anything but using a controller, and move to a different thread.

If you'd like to change the thread title, though, I'd be fine with you doing so.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: I could but polls have a high chance of breaking whenever they are edited in any way, probably safer to not touch it

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have tried it before (halo, I think) but no, X is the jump button for me.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spacebar.

On a serious note, what the other guys said: I'm not a monster; X is jump.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I'm not very good at playing FPS so it's hard for me to visualize the advantage of "bumper jumping". I assume the idea is to free up your right thumb to keep aiming, but honestly I just feel in most games your air time is so little you aren't really doing much aiming. On the flip side, I'm not sure it's that tough to slide your thumb down to the stick after jumping. Now, all this said, clearly this is a thing and people do, so it must work, I get that. Will try this out next time just to see how it feels. Interesting idea for a poll OP.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing Dying Light right now and 'Bumper Jumper's almost a necessity. It's more first-person-melee-and-parkour than first-person-shooter though.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing Dying Light right now and 'Bumper Jumper's almost a necessity. It's more first-person-melee-and-parkour than first-person-shooter though.

I started playing Dying Light over the weekend and I can't get used to jump being on the bumper at all. Honestly, I'm not a fan of any of the controls in Dying Light. Jump should be A. Grenades should be a bumper, not a trigger. The kick should be click in a stick or the right bumper, the bumper right next to the weapon trigger. The "jam the button to force open this thing" should be the same button you use to activate the things. Knocking a zombie off of your when it grabs you should be one of the melee buttons, not the A button.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ezekiel

The last FPS I played on a console was Call of Duty 4, eight years ago. I wish Sony discontinued the DualShock line and designed a better controller. But for games which play better on a controller, I usually prefer one of the face buttons for jumping.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@voodoopc said:
@sinusoidal said:

I started playing Dying Light over the weekend and I can't get used to jump being on the bumper at all. Honestly, I'm not a fan of any of the controls in Dying Light. Jump should be A. Grenades should be a bumper, not a trigger. The kick should be click in a stick or the right bumper, the bumper right next to the weapon trigger. The "jam the button to force open this thing" should be the same button you use to activate the things. Knocking a zombie off of your when it grabs you should be one of the melee buttons, not the A button.

Dying Light copied Mirror's Edge's controls where jump has to be on the bumper because you need the right stick to aim before and during your jump. Of course opinions, but ultimately having jump on the bumper allows for more precision and control. Not all games require that of course, but I think after you get used to it it's fine.

Syce300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently played Doom with the controls set up with jump on L1, so...definitely at least sometimes.

Hey, it felt like a game where I should be able to jump and aim at the same time. Certainly seemed more useful than grenading.

Yep, same here. I used to think it was only for crazy people but with Doom I was almost never not jumping around and it felt real nice to be able to keep shooting. It just felt so natural in that game due to the double jump and how fast that game is.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I do it in games where it is necessary to keep aiming while jumping. Doom wouldn't have felt nearly as good as it did if I had left it on the default configuration. I also switched a couple of Overwatch characters to play a little better.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:

Because mouse & keyboard isn't a controller? I just won't answer since the title of this topic should clearly have been "Console first person shooter fans..." instead.

It shouldn't have been "Console first person shooter fans...", because you can use a controller on PC too. And if they chose to use one, they should have immediately asked how they would set up the jump buttons. Not, "keyboard is better". It was specifically about using a controller, regardless of what platform it was used on. I clicked on this, because I was curious how people set up their controller (A/X button for me), and not because I wanted to see who thought keyboard is better. In my naivete, I didn't even think keyboard and mouse would be mentioned.

After seeing a moderator, I was kind of hoping this shameless trolling would have been stamped out.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cirdain

Nah mate, goes on the mouse wheel scrolling.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I use mouse and keyboard, but back when I'd play Halo I just held the controller claw style so I could access all possible functions on the controller without taking my thumb off the right stick.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ZolRoyce
@cirdain said:

I've never considered that in my entire life, and I customize my controls like a crazy person. I can't tell if you are a monster or a wizard. I need to just DO that in something.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

If you want to wall ride as Lucio while still being able to shoot at enemies in Overwatch, you have to go bumper jumper. Pharah basically has it by default too.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really depends on the game. While jumping and melee are an integral part of Halo's combat, while if I see someone jumping around in Call of Duty I assume they're using a controller mod. Doom, yes; Borderlands, no. Mirrors' Edge, yes; BioShock, no.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Twiggy199

I use it in any game that lets me, I can keep my fingers on the analogues whilst doing all the important stuff. I find my self using "the claw" method on games that require X or A which is just to uncomfortable.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By e30bmw

@zolroyce said:
@cirdain said:

I've never considered that in my entire life, and I customize my controls like a crazy person. I can't tell if you are a monster or a wizard. I need to just DO that in something.

It's super common in CS games because it makes bunnyhopping a lot easier. I assume it's the same in other Source games. I don't do it because I have super weird binds (mousewheelup is primary weapon, mousewheeldown is pistol) and I also have terrible movement so I couldn't bhop even if I wanted to.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I did on the Halo and Ratchet & Clank games because you a) need to be able to aim while jumping, and b) can't play them on PC with a mouse and keyboard.

@zolroyce said:
@cirdain said:

It's pretty popular in Counterstrike because it makes bunnyhopping much easier to time correctly

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liameyers said:

And I'm baffled by anyone who would come into a thread about "bumper jumper" controls and complain about there not being a PC option. It's like coming into a poll about overclocking your CPU, and then saying "I can't overclock a PS4 CPU. Where's the poll option for console owners!"

Maybe just click the "I don't need to. I use a scuf controller, or another controller with extra buttons" option, and then leave it at that.

Some of us PC gamers just have to show 100% of the time that PC gaming 100% of the time is 100% awesome/better/correct 100% of the time.
; )

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Before I became a mouse and keyboard snob, I remember using the bumper jumper controls once in Halo 3 for 1v1, but I mainly stuck with the default setup for the console shooters I played.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sinusoidal

@voodoopc: Jump is also grab. And to grab a ledge, you have to point your view at it. Once you get used to it, it's an elegant solution to typically awkward first-person platforming. If jump/grab were a face button, some of the parkour challenge would be nigh-impossible unless you utilized some kind of claw grip where you could press a face button with the side of a finger while using the right stick with your thumb.

Kick is a bumper because once you have the skill points, it's also tackle and drop kick - which also need to be aimed.

I do agree about the mash-to-open button being ill thought out. Especially since you're often mashing it in tight situations like trying to close a gate to prevent more zombies getting into a safe zone you're trying to clear. I wouldn't want mash-to-get-off-me to be a melee button though, because who wants to mash triggers? I suppose the point of having them both be A is that you know when you have to mash, you have to mash A.

Crane really needs to learn to open boxes faster. I've thrown a firecracker to distract a horde of zombies and jumped down to open a box and he's all casually open the left latch, casually open the right latch, slowly reach down to open the lid and my firecrackers are expired and I've got a horde of zombies crawling up my ass. It does make the game more tense.

My biggest control hurdle was one you didn't mention. I try to dodge with B so often it's gotten really annoying. 500 hours with various Souls games has cemented B as dodge in my mind. In Dying Light, B is duck which makes you move slower and present an easier target. Which is not the proper solution to some giant zombie slinging a piece of rebar with attached concrete overhanded at you. Grrrr.

AndrewJPlant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

any FPS I've managed to get deep enough into to have opinions this granular was Mouse and Keyboard. everything else I mostly just use whatever is default after the ten minutes of trying to figure out if I prefer it inverted or not.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

Recently started doing this in Overwatch, but only for Lucio. It makes riding across walls more viable.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I've used the layout before and while I see the appeal it never felt very natural to me, same with the "Claw Grip".

I will say if you don't use it and you are playing against someone who use it proficiently in Halo MP, you are in a world of trouble from what I recall.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Yes I do, it's way superior, especially in Halo.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

I've used the layout before and while I see the appeal it never felt very natural to me, same with the "Claw Grip".

I will say if you don't use it and you are playing against someone who use it proficiently in Halo MP, you are in a world of trouble from what I recall.

I'd add Titanfall and the most recent Call of Duty titles to that list as well. Any game where you spend a lot of time jumping, really.

I'm not very good at playing FPS so it's hard for me to visualize the advantage of "bumper jumping". I assume the idea is to free up your right thumb to keep aiming, but honestly I just feel in most games your air time is so little you aren't really doing much aiming. On the flip side, I'm not sure it's that tough to slide your thumb down to the stick after jumping. Now, all this said, clearly this is a thing and people do, so it must work, I get that. Will try this out next time just to see how it feels. Interesting idea for a poll OP.

This might help you better understand:

Loading Video...

When the player jumps from the side of the building into the window, you'll notice that they pretty much jump and start turning to the left at the same time. Unless you play "claw"--distorting your fingers so you press the face buttons with your pointer finger, and shoot with your middle finger--this would be impossible to do on a standard controller, without having "jump" mapped to one of the shoulder buttons.

This becomes almost completely necessary to compete in games where "jump" not only jumps, but also activates a thrust pack that requires the button to be held down to remain active.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:

I wasn't trolling, I was serious. People who prefer controllers for first person shooters on PC are by far a minority. If you sincerely think I'm trolling and have a problem with it, then send an email to support@giantbomb.com and talk to Rorie. Otherwise, have a nice day.

You misunderstand. I wasn't saying YOU were trolling. What I meant was that other people who are talking about keyboard and mouse and how it's better are trolling. This was specifically about how people set up their controllers. It doesn't matter how rare it is that people use controllers on PC. That isn't the point. The point is, when they DO use the controller, how do they set them up. Anyone talking about how keyboards are better in this forum is just trying to annoy people. I was hoping you were here to tell them to stay on topic, as the topic at hand is obvious. Have a nice day to you too, and sorry for the misunderstanding.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes for halo/floaty shooters, no for cod where your jump time is so short it doesnt matter (haven't played the latest CODs with emphasis on movement though). Being able to aim while jumping is a lot more useful than being able to aim while reloading.

ecthelion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not that serious of an FPS gamer. I crush newbs without bumpers just fine.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By ChrisTaran

No idea this was a thing. I would never do it though. Jump needs to be a face button for me.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#48 sweep  Moderator

@humanity said:

I'm not a monster.

That's exactly what a monster would say.

I've never heard of bumper jumper, but it's fun to say. Bumper Jumper. Haha.

Loading Video...

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I certainly get why it might be better (gives you better right-stick controls while jumping), but I think I'm so used to it being a face button that it would be rough to switch now.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't think space counts as a bumper? :D

Naw, I'd probably prefer bumper jumper if I played more console shooters. But since it's so few and far between that I play one at all and they happen to have that option, I tend to just stick to default.