Flash games

leky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Edited By leky1

Ok you probably you read the headlines and pretty much figured out what is this about!It is about  flash games bering ignpred completely on Gian Bomb Gamespot  ign and etc.,i mean why?!Ok so flash is not always the best quality game but look a screenshot of this flash game i made!

And now seeing it give me one good reason for flash games being ignored! i mean you saw the graphics!

leky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By leky1

Ok you probably you read the headlines and pretty much figured out what is this about!It is about  flash games bering ignpred completely on Gian Bomb Gamespot  ign and etc.,i mean why?!Ok so flash is not always the best quality game but look a screenshot of this flash game i made!

And now seeing it give me one good reason for flash games being ignored! i mean you saw the graphics!

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Alex_V

Well I totally agree. But we also have to be realistic about the can of worms that it opens for the administrators in putting flash games into these sites.

Just out of interest, what would be the equivalent of Giant Bomb for flash games? Is there one? Perhaps somebody ought to make one?

ExCruceLeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ExCruceLeo
leky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By leky1
@ExCruceLeo:
it is game playing only!
Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Alex_V

I guess that's the reason there aren't any listings sites - just shoving the actual games on the site is much better. That's all cool for playing games, but not for writing about them. I think it's an interesting gap in the market.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#6  Edited By ahoodedfigure
@Alex_V:http://jayisgames.com/

This was my number one source for quality Flash games.  They changed their format a bit, so I wasn't as big a fan, but maybe they've mellowed out a bit since I last spent some time there.

In my experience, Armor Games is just a dump for games to be ON, not to be reviewed. Jay Is Games actually reviews them independently.
Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Alex_V
@ahoodedfigure:

Good shout - looks good.
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By mracoon
@ahoodedfigure said:
" @Alex_V:http://jayisgames.com/This was my number one source for quality Flash games.  They changed their format a bit, so I wasn't as big a fan, but maybe they've mellowed out a bit since I last spent some time there.In my experience, Armor Games is just a dump for games to be ON, not to be reviewed. Jay Is Games actually reviews them independently. "
Jayisgames is great site. It's introduced me to some absolutely amazing flash games. You should definitely check it out.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

This is the reason we don't have flash games on Giant Bomb:

Jeff said:

"Yeah, we currently don't want browser-based games on the site. This may change down the line, but you're exactly right in that we have to draw the line somewhere and at the moment there doesn't seem to be enough interest in this category to warrant giving them their own section. Additionally, our games/releases taxonomy is currently setup to primarily handle commercial products.

I think the other key thing is that we'd never want to have every Flash game on the site. The barrier to entry is so low there that it would just lead to us having a ton of bedroom developers cluttering up the site with links to the games they've made. Until there can be a meaningful distinction between quality Flash-based products and "DUDE CHECK IT OUT I MADE ASTEROIDS EXCEPT WITH BUTTS INSTEAD OF ROCKS," we'd be biting off more than we could chew with that stuff.

We also don't want any BBS door games or standard cell phone games, for the record.
"
I'd guess most of the other sites you mentioned have similar reasons.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mracoon
@MattyFTM said:
" This is the reason we don't have flash games on Giant Bomb:

Jeff said:
"Yeah, we currently don't want browser-based games on the site. This may change down the line, but you're exactly right in that we have to draw the line somewhere and at the moment there doesn't seem to be enough interest in this category to warrant giving them their own section. Additionally, our games/releases taxonomy is currently setup to primarily handle commercial products.

I think the other key thing is that we'd never want to have every Flash game on the site. The barrier to entry is so low there that it would just lead to us having a ton of bedroom developers cluttering up the site with links to the games they've made. Until there can be a meaningful distinction between quality Flash-based products and "DUDE CHECK IT OUT I MADE ASTEROIDS EXCEPT WITH BUTTS INSTEAD OF ROCKS," we'd be biting off more than we could chew with that stuff.

We also don't want any BBS door games or standard cell phone games, for the record.
"
I'd guess most of the other sites you mentioned have similar reasons. "
Yeah but you could have the exact same of games on iPhone but they would be acceptable.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@mracoon said:
"
@MattyFTM said:

Jeff said:

"
Yeah but you could have the exact same of games on iPhone but they would be acceptable. "
The iPhone is a closed platform. Apple have a strict approval process for apps on the iPhone. it is completely different to Flash games, when anyone can put together a crappy game and bungle it onto the interweb.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

If you want to pimp your AWESOME GRAFIX FLASH GAEM go to newgrounds.com >_>

Link us to the actual game so we can rip it apart plx :)

Edit: Found it!

Not as bad as I expected. Still pretty bad though. You want this on GB? :S

The 3D models you used to make the sprites are actually nice though, if you made those yourself.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mracoon
@MattyFTM said:
"
@mracoon said:
"
@MattyFTM said:

Jeff said:

"
Yeah but you could have the exact same of games on iPhone but they would be acceptable. "
The iPhone is a closed platform. Apple have a strict approval process for apps on the iPhone. it is completely different to Flash games, when anyone can put together a crappy game and bungle it onto the interweb. "
Yes, Apple have a very strict process. They only let gems like SimStapler, iMilk and iFart through there rigorous checking of quality. I'm not saying all flash games deserve a place but many of them do just as much as many iPhone apps and way more then the crappy ones I mentioned. How does it make sense that games like Line Rider aren't worthy of a wiki if they were just a flash game (which it was originally) but when it becomes an iPhone game it's suddenly good enough. It shouldn't be the the platform which makes any one game good it should be the game itself.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

Flash games = free games = you don't need reviews, screenshots, information for them, you can just go try them and find out.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jambones

Aww nuts... I was just about to ask this question and I can totally see why Jeff and the GB crew don't really need them here.

I feel I have to report my entry for The Caverns of Hammerfest then to have it removed. Who do I get in touch with? Got me some 934 points for that too, lol.

leky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By leky1
@Jambones said:
" Aww nuts... I was just about to ask this question and I can totally see why Jeff and the GB crew don't really need them here.

I feel I have to report my entry for The Caverns of Hammerfest then to have it removed. Who do I get in touch with? Got me some 934 points for that too, lol. "
hmmmmm
Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jambones
@leky1: Why did you say 'hmmm'? Did I do something wrong?
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By AndrewGaspar
leky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By leky1
@Al3xand3r said:
" If you want to pimp your AWESOME GRAFIX FLASH GAEM go to newgrounds.com >_>

Link us to the actual game so we can rip it apart plx :)

Edit: Found it!Not as bad as I expected. Still pretty bad though. You want this on GB? :SThe 3D models you used to make the sprites are actually nice though, if you made those yourself. "
hey im no theif >:(  !11!  of course i made em!
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Absurd

This guy is a troll, isn't he?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By JJOR64

Newgrounds is easily the site to go to for Flash Games.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Wolverine

Because people can play flash games for free. The main reason sites like this exist is to inform gamers if a game is worth the money.

BackpackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By BackpackKat

newgrounds.com is the best source for flash games and movies. they have ratings, top games of the day and week, plus they just added achievements.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Wolverine

I used to go on addictinggames.com when I was in middle school to play flash games.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fr0br0
@mracoon said:
"
@MattyFTM said:
"
@mracoon said:
"
@MattyFTM said:

Jeff said:

"
The iPhone is a closed platform. Apple have a strict approval process for apps on the iPhone. it is completely different to Flash games, when anyone can put together a crappy game and bungle it onto the interweb. "
Yes, Apple have a very strict process. They only let gems like SimStapler, iMilk and iFart through there rigorous checking of quality. I'm not saying all flash games deserve a place but many of them do just as much as many iPhone apps and way more then the crappy ones I mentioned. How does it make sense that games like Line Rider aren't worthy of a wiki if they were just a flash game (which it was originally) but when it becomes an iPhone game it's suddenly good enough. It shouldn't be the the platform which makes any one game good it should be the game itself. "
Don't ridicule the Apple acceptance policy. They've rejected the Giant Bomb app twice already. Somewhere, I think I can hear Snide weeping...