For a new generation, will we get a new "all-story"?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

Poll For a new generation, will we get a new "all-story"? (46 votes)

Yes, developers will find some new trope/archetype to run into the ground. 46%
No, what happened before was just a fluke. 2%
No, we're in for more of the same. 30%
Just show me the results. 17%

When I say "all-story," I mean ancient advanced precursor civilizations telling prophecies of chosen ones breaking cycles of creation and destruction and all that.

• 
Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zeik

That wasn't exactly exclusive to last gen, so I can't imagine they would go away, but I assume many of them are aware of people getting tired of that specific trope, so I expect it to be less common.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I hope not. Although, I found it weirdly satisfying watching almost every major franchise slowly fall into the same narrative archetypes.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

AAA devs are so afraid of risks that they'll copy what worked for other games, even big elements of the story. So I assume that we'll get something like that this gen too.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well all horror games take place in asylums now, so I feel fairly confident a trend will form this generation too. It's not necessarily a bad thing or related to a company trying to copy other games, its just with so many games coming out some of them are going to have similar tropes.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By peritus

I voted yes, but i dont mind the all-story that much. yet. And im sure that wil still continue aswell.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gerrid

The allstory this gen will be whatever is the easiest justification for dropping big things from the sky in a very dramatic way.

Every game will have things crashing to earth in big dusty explosions. Dropped by the... ancestor gods... who have sent it back in time and space to solve whatever crisis.

Oh it's a new gun.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@amyggen said:

AAA devs are so afraid of risks that they'll copy what worked for other games, even big elements of the story. So I assume that we'll get something like that this gen too.

The thing that I found weird about what happened last gen (well, with a few specific games last gen) was that it wasn't multiple games with similar story elements coming out one after the other. It was several games coming out around roughly the same time, implying that the writers all came to the same conclusion independently.

@peritus said:

I voted yes, but i dont mind the all-story that much. yet. And im sure that wil still continue aswell.

I don't mind it all that much either. I probably shouldn't have worded the "Yes" option as negatively as I did.

@gerrid said:

The allstory this gen will be whatever is the easiest justification for dropping big things from the sky in a very dramatic way.

Every game will have things crashing to earth in big dusty explosions. Dropped by the... ancestor gods... who have sent it back in time and space to solve whatever crisis.

Oh it's a new gun.

Time travelling gun meteors. I like it.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Military Shooters need to go the way of the Dodo, or at least get some serious reinvention. If I hear "sitrep" one more time I might snap.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By CaLe

I hope it involves cortical stacks.