For the Hoard!

xrayzwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By xrayzwei

"On r/Datahoarder, you’ll find people storing data on everything from YouTube videos to game install discs."

I read this article on Ars Technica by David Rutland and it made me think about games and software in addition to the print, audio and video as the focus of the article. Will there be any of us in 50 years wanting to play something and bookmarking a subreddit to find it? Then what are the chances that some other soul will have thought to keep it?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/04/digital-hoarders-our-terabytes-are-put-to-use-for-the-betterment-of-mankind/#p3

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

In 50 years the only entertainment humans might have to distract them from the VR mines they work in 18 hours a day will be the Gerstmann "Criterion" collection full of classics like NiGHTS into Dreams... and Bubsy in: Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind

Seriously though the sad thing is that most multiplayer games and even some singleplayer games (at least the always-online ones) published today will probably only be available tied to some publisher subscription service if they are even still sold. That's one of the main motivations for me trying to support GOG by buying games I want there if I can find them.