For those of you on the fence for a subscription...

Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Orange

...what are you waiting for?

Not enough money right now? Are the perks not good enough for you? What perks are you looking for?

What exactly are you looking for in the subscription that will finally push your over the fence?

I only ask this, because I'm curious what everyone would suggest to improve in the subscription plan and its perks.

Speak now, peeps.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I would pay 10x what I do for gold... I still feel like I'm stealing for the amount of content I get out of Whiskey Media for $50/year.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zeforgotten

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I would pay 10x what I do for gold... I still feel like I'm stealing for the amount of content I get out of Whiskey Media for $50/year.

I agree with this, even buying shirts and stuff from the store doesn't seem like enough

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By PizzaSauce
@ZeForgotten Agreed. GB provides me with hours of great and entertaining footage which I would happily pay for and receive no perks in exchange. They're just a bonus for me
DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By DjCmeP

I'm already getting everything I want although I'd appreciate it if we could get a spoilercast for some of these big story focused games like L.A. Noire.

PS. I just upgraded for a gold account but I payed with paypal so it takes about 48 hours to upgrade.

EDIT: They changed my medal already. Yay!

Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Orange

Perhaps they should switch to a donation/pledge-based subscription model.

(Edit: Take the following with a grain of salt, they're just quick/dumb ideas)

• $5 = 1-Month Silver Subscription
  • $50-$99 = 1-Year Gold Subscription, Member T-Shirt
  • $100-$149 = All of the above, plus two more exclusive shirts
  • $150 = All of the above, plus an autographed "something" by a staff member of your choice
  • $1000 = All of the above, plus the option of becoming a guest member on the Bombcast for part of an episode.

Somethin' like that might help them make more money...? I know I would throw down some cash for some Giant Bomb autographs, haha.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By phish09

I'm just not sure what the benefits are.  I mean, my ISP will probably not be able to stream videos in HD anyway, since we have some slow-ass internetz up in Canada, and as much as I occasionally enjoy the free live show, it starts before I get home from work and I'm usually going out after work on Fridays anyway, so I would almost never be able to catch it, also chatting during TNT's does absolutely nothing for me.  I mean I do want to support the guys, but there should just be a mid-range package, where I can spend say $20 a year, and maybe get just a t-shirt or something, since none of the member benefits seem like they would really benefit me.

ConstantRa1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By ConstantRa1n

I could manage $20 a year. All I care about is having access to every video posted on the site at my own convince. Most of the time I'm too busy to catch anything live.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Orange said:

Not enough money right now? Are the perks not good enough for you? What perks are you looking for?

What exactly are you looking for in the subscription that will finally push your over the fence?

I only ask this, because I'm curious what everyone would suggest to improve in the subscription plan and its perks.

Speak now, peeps.

I'm sorry, who are you?

a) I don't have a whole load of cash. 
b) I don't get adverts on the site in the UK, so that 'benefit' doesn't exist for me.
c) I'm happy with the video quality the site offers for free. 
d) The internet here in my university campus sucks so I usually choose 'low quality' anyway. HD would take an hour to buffer. 
e) I can rip Giant Bomb videos without the download link.
f) I hate the Happy Hour, its just filled with crap I'm not interested in. 
g) I would be ashamed to wear a website T-shirt in public.
h) If I joined, I'd have something in common with you, which I don't want to happen. 

So in conclusion- there are zero benefits for me.
rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

I may finally cave and become a member just to shrug off all these ads. Last nights TNT was a horrendous session of early afternoon adverts that I was forced to endure over and over when I'd refresh because of how laggy the stream was. Not to mention all the tabs at the bottom as well. I'm not usually one to bitch about ads, and I understand they're a necessary annoyance, but the TNT's are complete overkill, with enough ads to make it resemble I was browsing a Tesco site.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By J12088

No perks i care about. Everything they offer i either don't care about or other websites do it for free so i see no real reason to pay.

At the end of the day there a website and there probably limited in what they can do and i doubt they'll ever get me as a subscriber.

Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Orange

@MysteriousBob said:

I'm sorry, who are you?

Just curious, that's all.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Surkov

I'll subscribe when I have the cash (damn college).  I would also like to see a 'Clubs' feature on the site. Game clubs with individual forums would be great.    

Edit: I also wish they did something like they do with achievements but for trophies. I know they've said on multiple occasions that it's because of Sony but the PLayfire makes it work so I'm left to wonder. 

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@Rufi91 said:

Yep. All I need right there.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@Abyssfull said:

I may finally cave and become a member just to shrug off all these ads. Last nights TNT was a horrendous session of early afternoon adverts that I was forced to endure over and over when I'd refresh because of how laggy the stream was. Not to mention all the tabs at the bottom as well. I'm not usually one to bitch about ads, and I understand they're a necessary annoyance, but the TNT's are complete overkill, with enough ads to make it resemble I was browsing a Tesco site.

That was UStreams fault because JustinTV was down it had nothing to do with GiantBomb or being a member :C

EDIT: You should still do it though :P

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By yoshimitz707
@Orange

@MysteriousBob said:

I'm sorry, who are you?

Don't worry man. Bob is a huge dick to everyone.
rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@yoshimitz707 said:

@Orange

@MysteriousBob said:

I'm sorry, who are you?

Don't worry man. Bob is a huge dick to everyone.

LOL I must say I have seen it happen a lot. He makes me laugh though :D

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Sin4profit

I don't know about perks, i still like my idea of live streaming the bombcast on Mondays for subscribers. Doesn't need to be HD quality or anything, just toss a shitty webcam in there.

I think Giant Bomb should look into doing more merchandising. Open up a store for all.

Also, I remember Jeff talking on Dave's radio show about this $7000 piece of equipment that would help them capture footage of classic console games. I think GB should set up an equipment fund raiser where members can donate money for the purpose of getting new equipment. I'm sure it'll be easy to get 7000 members to donate $1 and if that piece of equipment would push having more Quick Look Throwbacks i'm all for it.

Plus it seems like they'd benefit from having a more static media setup for their videos content rather then (what i assume they do) build everything up and break everything down with the few pieces of equipment that they may have. More consistent, less grueling, same great taste.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lockwoodx
@MysteriousBob said:
@Orange said:

Speak now, peeps.

I'm sorry, who are you? a) I don't have a whole load of cash. b) I don't get adverts on the site in the UK, so that 'benefit' doesn't exist for me.c) I'm happy with the video quality the site offers for free. d) The internet here in my university campus sucks so I usually choose 'low quality' anyway. HD would take an hour to buffer. e) I can rip Giant Bomb videos without the download link.f) I hate the Happy Hour, its just filled with crap I'm not interested in. g) I would be ashamed to wear a website T-shirt in public.h) If I joined, I'd have something in common with you, which I don't want to happen.  So in conclusion- there are zero benefits for me.
 add h) "If you ever voice your opinion you'll be flooded and flogged with fanboys" and you've summed up exactly the reasons I've held back too. I was on the fence during E3 but the venom from the staff of simply being "too cool" for the event and expressing their displeasure for being at such an awesome show quickly put GB back into the toilet.
zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21  Edited By zyn

Let's just say, I'm waiting for the right time...

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShaneDev

I do not care about anything they offer in a subscription.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By laserbolts

I watched a couple happy hours now and they should definitely cancel that garbage and replace it with something entertaining.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShockD

Not sure if it's really worth it. Most bonuses are related to the videos, but I don't have much time to watch them all anyway.

In fact the video options are the only benefit that I see from subscribing.

Avatar image for christiancastillo
ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MysteriousBob: Why must you be such an asshole?
@Orange: don't mind him
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By Sambambo

I feel the stuff I get for free is worth the money, so it doesn't bother me paying to get extra.

I canceled the auto renewal, however I will be re-signing up.

It is not a lot of money, and this is pretty much my only gaming news source that I use on a computer.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Meowshi

Absolutely nothing is ever going to make me subscribe to a website.  I visit far too many to be encouraging this sort of model.  

That being said, I sincerely hope the subscriber-only benefits don't expand too much in the future.  The thought of missing even more content is pretty saddening.  

Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Orange

@Sin4profit said:

I don't know about perks, i still like my idea of live streaming the bombcast on Mondays for subscribers. Doesn't need to be HD quality or anything, just toss a shitty webcam in there.

I think Giant Bomb should look into doing more merchandising. Open up a store for all.

Also, I remember Jeff talking on Dave's radio show about this $7000 piece of equipment that would help them capture footage of classic console games. I think GB should set up an equipment fund raiser where members can donate money for the purpose of getting new equipment. I'm sure it'll be easy to get 7000 members to donate $1 and if that piece of equipment would push having more Quick Look Throwbacks i'm all for it.

Plus it seems like they'd benefit from having a more static media setup for their videos content rather then (what i assume they do) build everything up and break everything down with the few pieces of equipment that they may have. More consistent, less grueling, same great taste.

• Live Bombcast for subscribers would be awesome. I would be interested.
  • More merchandising would be nice, though the demand for that stuff would have to be apparent. Buying a bunch of tees or other products in mass quantities can lead to great losses if nobody ends up buying anything.
  • Fundraisers for new equipment, especially what you listed about class console games would be sweet.
rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@laserbolts: THE On The Spot: RECKONING

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Chummy8

I'm not a paid subscriber because the perks don't interest me at all. 

Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Orange

@Meowshi said:

Absolutely nothing is ever going to make me subscribe to a website. I visit far too many to be encouraging this sort of model. That being said, I sincerely hope the subscriber-only benefits don't expand too much in the future. The thought of missing even more content is pretty saddening.

I think that the content isn't what should distinguish the subscriptions. I like the idea of "bonus" content, such as live streams of the Bombcast, for paid subscribers. HD video is also nice, and doesn't change the content. The omission of advertisements with the subscription also doesn't take away from the content.

I think Giant Bomb should stay in the direction of adding or enhancing our experience, rather than producing exclusive content. I don't consider live streams of soon-to-be content exclusive content, it's just an added bonus to our experience.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MeierTheRed

I'm fine with what i get for free. It's not a money issue, its more the issue of me not liking to pay web sites money for content. That might be all kinds of wrong in most peoples eyes, but thats fine with me. 

I use a minimal set of features here. My main news source is Joystiq in my RSS feed, for Trailers i always hit up Gametrailers. So mainly i use Giantbomb for it's awesome Quick Looks, and it's the only community i actually participate in from time to time.

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ben99

I would rather throw it away 

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By laserbolts
@Rufi91 Anything would be better.
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Doctorchimp
@Orange said:

Speak now, peeps.

When I'm not missing every live event because of work/school/friends.

@Sin4profit said:

They've said it time and time again, there's no way they could have a live bombcast. They have to run through it and if they start talking about stuff that's non-disclosure or something slips they can just edit it out.

It's the price you pay for wanting them to sit down and talk frankly for 2 and a half hours.
Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hourai
1) I don't have enough time to watch most of the video content to begin with, so the Happy Hour and all that would be pointless.

2) The video quality is decent enough on high settings. HD isn't really worth paying money for.

3) I'm perfectly fine with my dirty, non-subscriber experience.

4) Don`t have a credit card and I'm too lazy to set up a Paypal account.
babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By babblinmule

I don't need any of the additional features that it offers, and so giving them the money would feel like giving to charity. Which they also said repeatedly that they do not want you to feel like.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SpartyOn

sucks cause I pay for the monthly membership to support the dudes an for the HD video, but everytime I try watching a video on the site it either skips to another video in the middle, or starts over. I can't even finish quick looks anymore without it stopping.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@ZeForgotten said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I agree with this, even buying shirts and stuff from the store doesn't seem like enough

why does this thread exist? Just to be smug about paying for a site? 
Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Orange

@Doctorchimp said:

@Orange said:

Speak now, peeps.

When I'm not missing every live event because of work/school/friends.

@Sin4profit said:

They've said it time and time again, there's no way they could have a live bombcast. They have to run through it and if they start talking about stuff that's non-disclosure or something slips they can just edit it out. It's the price you pay for wanting them to sit down and talk frankly for 2 and a half hours.

I know how you feel about missing the live events... it can be kind of disappointing.

And for some reason, I didn't think of how they need to edit stuff out of the Bombcast for the reasons you stated. Valid point.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By DeeGee

@MysteriousBob said:

g) I would be ashamed to wear a website T-shirt in public.

I'm so glad I have the confidence for this sort of thing, I'd hate to not be able to wear what I want in public. Sounds awful, I wouldn't get to wear the stuff I liked, despite how nerdy or pink it is. I guess some people just really care what people think of them, or their friends are total jerks. Where I come from, people don't give a shit what you look like =)

NateDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By NateDogg

I pay cause I appreciate the work that the crew at GB and all the other Whiskey sites put in to entertain us.

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DelroyLindo
@MysteriousBob said:
@Orange said:

Speak now, peeps.

I'm sorry, who are you? a) I don't have a whole load of cash. b) I don't get adverts on the site in the UK, so that 'benefit' doesn't exist for me.c) I'm happy with the video quality the site offers for free. d) The internet here in my university campus sucks so I usually choose 'low quality' anyway. HD would take an hour to buffer. e) I can rip Giant Bomb videos without the download link.f) I hate the Happy Hour, its just filled with crap I'm not interested in. g) I would be ashamed to wear a website T-shirt in public.h) If I joined, I'd have something in common with you, which I don't want to happen.  So in conclusion- there are zero benefits for me.
everything this guy said
Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hunkulese

The subscription is pretty much a waste of money. Everything on the site I want to use is already free. I guess the mobile site is alright but it never seems to update as quickly as the regular site so most of the time I just check the regular site on my phone.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By TehFlan

I don't have a whole lot of money right now, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything too big. I'd like to subscribe some day when I'm in a more financially stable position, though.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kidman

Are there really so few people paying having a member's account just cause they like GB/WM ? I'm not saying I'm high and mighty, but I'm kinda surprised that most people are buying the subscription for those perks (which i have to admit, are not great AT ALL, and i don't use them that often).

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@MysteriousBob said:
@Orange said:

Speak now, peeps.

Bob's a huge dick, and it's awesome.
DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By DeeGee

@kidman said:

Are there really so few people paying having a member's account just cause they like GB/WM ? I'm not saying I'm high and mighty, but I'm kinda surprised that most people are buying the subscription for those perks (which i have to admit, are not great AT ALL, and i don't use them that often).

I don't use any member perks except HD video =P

I just thought that I have over 273 hours worth of Bombcast on my iTunes right now, and that's a fucking lot of content even ignoring everything else goes up on the site. The dudes should be rewarded for providing me with so much entertainment.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By unsolvedparadox

For those who are used to getting an advertising free ride (i.e. fellow Canadians, who had no ads for the longest time), that seems to be over too. Sign up, sign up, sign up!

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rebirth1337
@UnsolvedParadox said:

For those who are used to getting an advertising free ride (i.e. fellow Canadians, who had no ads for the longest time), that seems to be over too. Sign up, sign up, sign up!

Or just get ad block its free and you don't see any ads.