• 69 results
snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By snide

I've been getting lots of questions about sigs and why we don't have them. The main reason is that in general, I think sigs can distract away from conversation, which is the main point of forums like these. Being a repetitive element, sigs are something that seen once, are not often needed to be seen again. While I LOVE seeing people test out their photoshop skills (I got started in this biz by making quake clan websites myself) I think it's something you don't need to force down someone's throat when they just want to have a chat.

All that said, I'm totally up for having a quick and easy way to show off who you are to others on the board. Most people haven't noticed this but if you hit the "mini bio" link next to peoples names on the boards, it will open up their entire "about me" section from their profile. Remember, you can throw anything you want in there, be it a traditional signature, your favorite pics....whatever. Since it's not limited by an arbitrary character length count, you actually have more room to try out original stuff there. Best yet is that it's optional for people who just want to read the post. If they dig what you have to say, they just pop that link, and wallah, can learn more about you.

Sorry if you guys are bummed on that solution, I know sigs on boards are an age old love/hate discussion on boards, but I think we've got a whole crapload of other awesome features to get your point across.

Now 360/PS3 badges, we totally need to get those going :)
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fr0br0

Meh, it's all right I guess. I'm just getting some of these Jokers confused.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By xplodedd

fair enough.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By Termite

I understand.

The mini bio thing does kind of put sigs to shame the more I think about it

efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By efrucht

The badges sounds like a cool idea. Where will they be displayed?

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Black_Rose

I agree, sigs are overrated anyway

Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Jax

I feel the same way. Sig's get way too out of control. People love showing off their skillz, and posting the same generic flash-esque style pictures of characters. It starts to become too cartoony and it distracts from the text (which is the main point). I like the mini bio part - I think it's a nice touch and it seems quite professional.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Bass

I've always enjoyed sigs as a whole, but I also understand why some (see: a lot) of them are way too distracting/huge to be used, and don't add anything to the conversation.

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By tec3297

I think that not having signatures is the best idea for the site.  They can become just places to advertise and then spam posting will become out of control.  Also for some more immature users they can become out of control and obnoxious.

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tec3297

I think that not having signatures is the best idea for the site.  They can become just places to advertise and then spam posting will become out of control.  Also for some more immature users they can become out of control and obnoxious.

Darth_Tater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Darth_Tater

Sigs are mini-bios

There, do it.

JoblessTerence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JoblessTerence

It's a good thing you aren't allowing signatures. People could just totally abuse the application.

SigFemSeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SigFemSeks

Sigs are boring. Hooray Snide!

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MasterSplinter

I agree with the decision. Not only are they a distraction and a nuisance, they suck up bandwidth as well. I want a Dreamcast badge snide! I have faith you can make it happen!!

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
snide said:

Now 360/PS3 badges, we totally need to get those going :)
Not that this site really needs any more traffic right now, but you know, if you made specific "Giant Bomb" gamercards (like mygamercard.net offers) for use both here and outside these forums, you could drive a ton of traffic here.  I still don't know of a one stop site for matching--meaning same color and size--PS3, 360, and Wii gamer cards.  Providing that service for Giant Bomb members could be huge.

As for the issue of sigs, I don't really feel they're a big loss, but I wouldn't mind them if they were small enough and could be turned off.  As is, I think the mini bio does a fine job as a substitute.
snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By snide

SpaceIsomniac -

Thanks for your ideas. Believe it or, we don't necessarily want or need to be a highly trafficked website. If we're just a nice, medium-sized site that caters to a hard-core and passionate crowd, so be it. I'd rather be the most fun site then the largest :)
MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MasterSplinter
snide said:
"SpaceIsomniac -

Thanks for your ideas. Believe it or, we don't necessarily want or need to be a highly trafficked website. If we're just a nice, medium-sized site that caters to a hard-core and passionate crowd, so be it. I'd rather be the most fun site then the largest :)
"
snide, I think you have already succeeded.
insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18  Edited By insanegamer

i agree with the badges that is what we eed.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
snide said:
"SpaceIsomniac -

"
Thanks for the comment.  And yes, that's why I said "not that this place needs anymore traffic right now."  I imagine you're having a hard enough time keeping up with all the submissions as it is.  : )
Darth_Tater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Darth_Tater
MasterSplinter said:
"snide said:
"SpaceIsomniac -

"
snide, I think you have already succeeded.
"
Agreed, in three days GB is already half of Destructoid!  And those guys only pull in what, 100k views a day?
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thelastguy

Bring on the PS3/360 badges!

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mourne

Yeah, agreed. Fine with me.

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By kenzo287

alright that makes sense

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By epic_pets

Ok, this is a better idea

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hamz

My issue with signatures has always been if you have topics with hundreds of replies with each reply having a signature to load it just becomes slow and bogged down. I much prefer speedy loads on my forum pages, so ye no sigs is a good thing in my opinion. Although smilies would be kind of a cool addition...

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By serbsta

I prefer it this way, the whole point of forums is to allow for conversation and not to stare at flashy sigs that give seizures.

Its good the way it is.

Ysy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ysy

Thank God.  Icons are enough for distinction.  It takes a while for these pages to load for me as well, so anything to keep the time down to a minimum is a godsend.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RVonE

Nice idea to put it in the mini bio. I guess you could really get creative and find a cool way to let people know who you are.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By snide

I have taken this opportunity to totally trick out my about me section and show you how cool mini bios can be! Check mine out!

BTW, how friggin awesome is it that someone added Arcanum screenshots onto the site already? Bad Ass!
Happy_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Happy_Cloud
snide said:
"I have taken this opportunity to totally trick out my about me section and show you how cool mini bios can be! Check mine out!

BTW, how friggin awesome is it that someone added Arcanum screenshots onto the site already? Bad Ass!
"
Sexy indeed.

Although, in the site's future, will we be able to encode images into our posts using [IMG]etc. or may we only upload them through the site?
MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MasterSplinter
snide said:
"I have taken this opportunity to totally trick out my about me section and show you how cool mini bios can be! Check mine out!

"
That was a great read snide. It is really cool how things come full circle. Congratulations on what seems to be your dream job! BTW Battletoads & Double Dragon is where it was at.
snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By snide

Just use the HTML button. You can paste in <im src="whatever.jpg"/> there. We don't use BB Code, so [IMG] won't work.

Really though, try out the search site tab when you click the img button. It will blow your mind how many images people have already added. 
Happy_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Happy_Cloud
snide said:
"Just use the HTML button. You can paste in <im src="whatever.jpg"/> there. We don't use BB Code, so [IMG] won't work.

Really though, try out the search site tab when you click the img button. It will blow your mind how many images people have already added. 
"
But you won't be able to post an image without a box and caption around it then? I had quite a neat idea.
unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By unclejohnny79

Hey i guess its for the best

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By unclejohnny79

Hey i guess its for the best

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MasterSplinter

BTW snide
I hope you can look into adding a way to close the mini bio after you open it. If people have mini-bios that are as mini as yours and you can't close the window, it could be worse than sigs. Just a thought.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37  Edited By OGCartman

True!! I guese its the lesser of two evils not to have a sig =(
Mini bio is cool

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lucas_kelly

Fair enough I suppose. I still thing it would be a cool feature though, especially for someone like me who can use Photoshop pretty well.

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tariqari

Good news to me. You total nailed it when you mentioned the breaking up of conversations, which I always thought myself.

JazzMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JazzMaverick

I prefer it without sigs.....it means we don't have to suffer the same old qoutes and unfunny jokes,or the ''i' have 2,000,000 kills on Cod4'' etc.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By thebeast

This is a really wise decision in my opinion - I'm a big fan of the clean layout as it's easy to focus on posts and not on the unecessary clutter around them.

The avatar, the user gallery and the mini-bio are great ways to express individuality, and as Snide says, there's no real limit to what you can have here - and if people are interested in checking out your Photoshop skills or how awesome your PC is, they can!

Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Carlos

I do want my badges please

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By calf_exercises

thanx man, btw i agree i dont really like having a page with more sig text that actual text on the discution.
And i have actually been using the mini bio buttom but thanx for the heads up anyways

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DXSSI

I'm in favor of this decision.  Sigs are clutter.

altdimension

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#45  Edited By altdimension

Well, I understand what you mean. And from now on I'll be filling out my mini-bio.
But can we get out Points total underneath our avatar?

Caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By Caddy

I actually am liking the no signatures on the site. Like others have said, the discussion flows better and it helpes with loading speeds, which is always a nice bonus.

Lairdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lairdo

I understand what your getting at so its fair enough id say.

bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bekern

thank god, i think sigs are freaking annoying. Having all that shit between posts can get confusing and sometimes its hard to tell what's someone's signature and whats their post.
also is there a way to rehide the minibio after you click it lol? or should I just resort to refreshing?

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

ReTarDedFisHy is a little disappointed, but satisfied nonetheless, that you can have at least something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's why im saying we should have a SIGNATURE button on the bottom of the persons post (to the left of reply) and clicking it opens the signature, similar to the mini blog. And I think the mini blog is cool but its a whole separate feature and I dont think it should be used for sigs.