Formating a portable HD to FAT32 with no 4gb file limit?

XxRANGAxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By XxRANGAxX

I know that you can format a portable hard drive to FAT32 without that annoying 4gb file limit, i have done it but i have forgotten how or my old  method dose not work anymore. i used to use a program called "HP USB Disk format tool" and it did work for a time then all of a sudden i can no longer put a file more than 4gb on my HD ive have tried again and it dosnt work. lol i sshould tell you why i want it like this is because NTFS format is not supported by my Ps3 System only FAT32 is and i cant put larger video files on it to watch most of which are HD video files. if anyone knows how to format a portable HD to fat32 without the 4gb file limit i would much appreciate the information thanks.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

I don't think you can.

XxRANGAxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By XxRANGAxX
@Fallen189:  you can i have done it before 100% sure its just i dont know how to anymore

so anyone help?
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By shiftymagician

HitmanAgent47 may be able to help more than me here, however as I know it the FAT32 file system cannot be made to go over the 4gb file limit.  You may have confused it for ExFAT, another type which only works on more recent Windows systems.  I doubt that will work on the PS3.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By alternate

hmm, would be interesting to hear how.  AFAIK 4gb is a hard limit and always has been.  Are you sure the drive wasn't formatted to NTFS?

Try asking on tested forums.

XxRANGAxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By XxRANGAxX
@ShiftyMagician:  i know you may be sure that you cant do it but i have dont it using this program that dosnt work anymore lol, but if there is no other way i will accept that but i really want a format thats has no gb limit to files AND that plays on ps3
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By shiftymagician
@XxRANGAxX:  What is the name of the program?  That will be a big help to figure this all out.
MarcusOfLycia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By MarcusOfLycia

There is a hard limit on FAT32. Logically, the file system simply doesn't allow files larger than 3.9 GB. My assumption is that its addressing mechanism simply doesn't allow for more data to be stored as a single logically contiguous element.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By themartyr
Tested.com forums would definitely be a better place to get help for this. :-)
XxRANGAxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By XxRANGAxX
@alternate said:

" hmm, would be interesting to hear how.  AFAIK 4gb is a hard limit and always has been.  Are you sure the drive wasn't formatted to NTFS?  Try asking on tested forums. "

yes im sure the drive wasnt formatted to NTFS because it worked on my playstation.

@ShiftyMagician: HP USB disck format toll, may have been formated to that eFAT thing but im not sure that worked on Ps3