• 57 results
#1 Edited by FlashFlood_29 (4393 posts) -

With all of the debates about Witcher 3 lately and how a lot of people are saying you have to stick with it through a period of time before it starts getting good, I thought about the last time that rung true to me. The only time I can think of recently is Dota 2. I think this stems more from it being tough to penetrate the understanding of the game, and that it's a skill based game. I stopped playing it after my initial run because I just wasn't getting it, but once I started partying up with experienced players and understood its mechanics, I found an appreciation for the game. I didn't really have a desire to go back to it but my co-worker insisted I just keep trying, and what do you know, I'm playing and loving it a ton. Still, I can't think of a non-competitive game that I've initially wanted to drop, but end up liking from being convinced to stick with it. Have you ever had a game turn around on you like that? In the same way that people are trying to convince those that don't like the first few hours of Witcher 3?

#2 Posted by Honkalot (1038 posts) -

I had the same with Heroes of Newerth which I played for a solid year before I enjoyed it even a little, the first year I totally just tagged along because everyone else I knew was playing it.

For non-competitive stuff I recently thought of VtM: Bloodlines since it was mentioned on a podcast. I stuck with it and ended up enjoying it madly, after being hellishly put off by maybe the first 5-10 hours.

#3 Posted by Getz (3764 posts) -

Dark Souls, though I wouldn't say I hated it at first. It just seemed to insurmountable at first. My friend kept telling me to push through, so I did. Eventually I realized it wasn't the game that was being difficult; I was being impatient.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
#4 Posted by Deranged (2022 posts) -

I very much disliked Mass Effect and Borderlands at first.

#5 Posted by The_Nubster (3983 posts) -

I probably started Mass Effect three separate times before actually liking it. Starting you off in such a combat-heavy area is not a great start to that game, but once you turn into that room with the volus and the elcor I immediately fell in love.

#6 Edited by TobbRobb (6567 posts) -

I think it only really applies when a game isn't very apparent of how it's supposed to be played. Games like Dota, Dark Souls, Metal Gear Rising, Devil May Cry, fighting games all have obscure mechanics and mindsets that take a little while to get into and understand. However a game like Witcher 3 is exactly what it looks like, and I see less of an argument for it. If you don't like the Witcher at the start, you are unlikely to like it in the end.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
#7 Posted by citizencoffeecake (1534 posts) -

I know there are games that I have persevered through and ended up loving but I can't think of any that I started out hating. I liked the Witcher 3 when I started, took an MGSV long break, and now am enjoying the Witcher more and more as I approach the end. It really is a great game I hope it doesn't get shafted too bad come GOTY.

#8 Posted by segajupiter (104 posts) -

Knights of the Old Republic for Xbox. It was the first RPG I gave a real chance - I hated it after stumbling around in the tutorial for about an hour. My best friend at the time took some time to show me how he played that type of game, and from that point forward I was hooked. I still consider KotOR to be one of my favorite games of all time.

#9 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -

Never

#10 Posted by Naoiko (1674 posts) -

When I first started playing WoW I didn't like it. I kept playing because all my friends did...and I eventually ended up loving it.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
#11 Posted by Atlas (2738 posts) -

I have a very recent example. Last week, I started playing Alien: Isolation, and was totally enamoured with it after the first hour, but then there's a bullshit encounter in the third mission that I banged my head against for an hour, dying over and over again, until I gave up, completely wrote off the game, and uninstalled it. A couple days later, a friend who's doing his degree in game design and programming explained why the game was worth my time, and I re-installed it, knocked the difficulty down from Hard to Normal, and got through the encounter using a video guide. I'm now 13 hours in, and have grown to really like the game. I'm glad I let my friend talk me into giving it another try, as it's totally been worth it.

I had a similar experience with Mass Effect. I just didn't get what the game wanted me to do in the first level, and got frustrated with it. I'm easily disheartened when it comes to game challenges, but I'm glad I persevered, as ME1 is one of my all-time favourite games, top ten easily.

#12 Posted by ripelivejam (13097 posts) -

Badgering doesn't work well for me and i doubt it works well for most others. Like they said on the bombcast i get more jazzed just hearing people talk about their own excitement/experiences rather thatn hearing them go "you gotta play dis!!!!!"

#13 Posted by Elyhaym (358 posts) -

I felt this way about League of Legends although with the added roundabout back into hate. Played it back in Season 1 with a friend of mine and got blown up. Only character I enjoyed playing was Garen, who you got to play in the tutorial, but alas he couldn't be unlocked right away and I refused to grind in a game I hated to unlock him. So my friend took it upon himself to grind out the points needed to unlock him and BAM, I was hooked.

I enjoyed League for a few years after that, until I just couldn't be bothered with the community anymore and sadly none of my friends played regularly enough for me to able to play with them regularly. Game is still decent, but the community most certainly is not.

#14 Posted by Murgatroyd (58 posts) -

@tobbrobb said:

I think it only really applies when a game isn't very apparent of how it's supposed to be played. Games like Dota, Dark Souls, Metal Gear Rising, Devil May Cry, fighting games all have obscure mechanics and mindsets that take a little while to get into and understand. However a game like Witcher 3 is exactly what it looks like, and I see less of an argument for it. If you don't like the Witcher at the start, you are unlikely to like it in the end.

Dark Souls is true for me, I think. I remember picking it up at a Redbox back near release and playing it for a real short amount of time before putting it down. I may have completed the tutorial area and been done, it did nothing for me. The lack of a pausing option was really detrimental at the time. Years later, I gave it a fair shake and it's great. I'd call it probably one of my favorite RPGs. Maybe the same thing will happen with Dark Souls 2 for me in a few years. Hasn't clicked yet.

#15 Edited by project343 (2897 posts) -

All of my favourite games of all time, basically.

I had to give each of these games 2-3 shots to "get" it. There wasn't a particular individual pushing me to truck through each game though. DOTA2 was mostly its popularity and Giantbomb coverage (thanks Brad). Knights of the Old Republic was critical reception and my love of Star Wars. Dark Souls was critical reception, popularity and the early Dark Souls 2 coverage from Giantbomb.

I'm so happy that each of these games clicked for me.

#16 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

Witcher 3 is good from the start. As far as games that take a bit to get going I don't think there's a more stalwart example than Xenosaga 2, which plays and moves like molasses for the first 5-10 hours and then is excellent thereafter. There are games that are brutally difficult like Vagrant Story where people put them down because they can't progress, but the game is still solid in that phase.

#17 Posted by Turambar (8251 posts) -

Badgering doesn't work well for me and i doubt it works well for most others. Like they said on the bombcast i get more jazzed just hearing people talk about their own excitement/experiences rather thatn hearing them go "you gotta play dis!!!!!"

Doesn't "you have to play this" normally come along with a justification for that suggestion, a justification based on the enjoyable experience the person has already had with the game? I don't see the difference between the two and think the GB staff are less put off by the act of being told something is great and need to be played, and more by the number of people telling them that due to their public position.

#18 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15664 posts) -

I had to ram my head against the original Deus Ex a few times before I got used to that game's awkward "RPG pretending to be an action game" mechanics, if that counts.

#19 Posted by BoOzak (2515 posts) -

I'd say all the Arkham games fall into that category, but it isnt any one person more just hearing all the praise and forcing myself to play them. I do end up enjoying them by the end but it's a rocky experience. They kind of all feel like a sand box Uncharted (at least post City) in that they dont do any one thing partcularly well but its presentation and production values make them worth seing through to the end. You could level that complaint against a lot of sand box/open world games but there's something about how those games are structured that makes them harder to get through for me.

Another one is Dust: An Elysian Tale. I was put off by the art style and simplistic combat but was told to keep going, and while the combat doesnt get much better (deeper) everything gets more crazy and that made it more enjoyable. Plus i'm more forgiving towards anything that resembles a Metroidvania, even if it's a somewhat linear one.

#20 Posted by Cameron (1050 posts) -

Gran Turismo 3 is the only one I can think of. It was my first simulation racer, so it took a while to get used to. I hated it at first, but one of my friends was really into it and I eventually came around.

Assassin's Creed 2 is close, but only because the beginning few hours are so slow if you played the first game. I didn't hate it at first, but I really enjoyed it by the end.

I continue to dislike the Souls series despite giving it two chances with Dark Souls and Bloodborne. People I trust tell me those games are great, and I just don't get it. I gave Dark Souls about five hours and Bloodborne about fifteen, and in both cases I stopped playing because I wasn't having any fun.

#21 Posted by chilibean_3 (2364 posts) -

Eh, The Witcher 3 starts great, peaks early and then grinds to a halt.

I've never had somebody convince me to keep playing something and then have that change my opinion. I did try and fail to get into Dota 2 but when I tried a second after better understanding what it is it became one my favorite games of all time.

#22 Posted by Driadon (3253 posts) -

I think the only example of this for me is COD4. I liked the World War II COD games fine, but I was kind of over them as shooters. I had a friend that would bug me to play it non-stop for months at a time and would bring it over whenever I invited him to play fighting games even though I wasn't terribly interested or impressed. He eventually stopped, but about a month after that I decided to pick up the PC version (it was also cheaper at the time) to finally see what people were talking about, and then it actually made sense. I still think the absolute chaos of some of those high player count games of the PC version were some of the best multiplayer shooting I've had on PC in a while.

#23 Posted by Ibarguengoytia (134 posts) -

Oblivion

I wasn't used to First Person melee and the third person is horrible, but I kept at it and eventually loved it.

#24 Edited by whitegreyblack (1949 posts) -

It took 3 tries to eventually get into the first Saints Row, and then have the series become one of my favorites of all time. (no one convinced me to give it another shot, though)

#25 Posted by Dixavd (2888 posts) -

Like others have said, I felt this with Dark Souls. I actually got pretty far before hitting a wall that made me quit (in short: Sen's Fortress immediately after Blighttown). But eventually when more and more people's opinions stirred me to go back, and I enjoyed the rest of it.

I can think of others where someone has convinced me to return to a game that I had stopped playing but I can't think of another where the reason was me hating the game (usually life just gets in the way of video games and so they fade into the back-catalogue).

#26 Edited by Random45 (1805 posts) -

Most recently it was Metal Gear Solid. The game felt really dated, and I kept dying early on, and I was very close to just giving up, but my friend convinced me to keep playing for just a little bit longer. I have NO idea what happened, but I got into the right mindset and the game just suddenly clicked for me. Yeah, it's still dated (the turret section at the end can burn in hell), and I don't agree with people who say it's one of the best games of all time, but it's definitely a good game.

@atlas said:

I have a very recent example. Last week, I started playing Alien: Isolation, and was totally enamoured with it after the first hour, but then there's a bullshit encounter in the third mission that I banged my head against for an hour, dying over and over again, until I gave up, completely wrote off the game, and uninstalled it. A couple days later, a friend who's doing his degree in game design and programming explained why the game was worth my time, and I re-installed it, knocked the difficulty down from Hard to Normal, and got through the encounter using a video guide. I'm now 13 hours in, and have grown to really like the game. I'm glad I let my friend talk me into giving it another try, as it's totally been worth it.

YES! THIS! I completely forgot about that encounter. I have NO idea why they decided it would be a good idea to have one of the hardest encounters in the entire game near the beginning. It IMMEDIATELY turned me off, and I stopped playing it afterwards. If it weren't for people on these forums saying it was a good game, I probably wouldn't have given it a second chance.

#27 Posted by HatKing (7447 posts) -

I don't think there has ever been a game that somebody has convinced me to give a second chance to, unless you count positive word of mouth online and not direct recommendations. There have been a few games that I had to restart multiple times or gone back to after a significant break before really falling in love with. Pretty much every Bethesda game falls in that category, actually. Skyrim only because it was busted as fuck at launch and I wanted to wait for some fixes. Witcher 3 was sort of that way, but the break I took from it wasn't that long and I had barely started it at that point.

#28 Posted by Monty_vaca (98 posts) -

Hmm... I wouldn't say anyone has gotten me to move from hate to love on a game, but that's just because I can't really think of a game that I would characterize myself as actively hating. I mostly drop games for taste reasons because I lose interest in them, find them bland or think an aspect of them isn't enjoyable and I don't feel like trying to overcome it. Of that category, I can think of two games off the top of my head that outside forces convinced me to give another shot that actually bore fruit:

Red Dead Redemption - At the time of release, I was super tired of the GTA-formula, and after an hour or two of playing it, I was convinced that R.D.R. was just GTA 4 with a western coat of paint. After GB's GOTY casts, I gave it another shot and super enjoyed it once I got a little further in.

Metal Gear Solid 3 - When I first played it, I hated the camouflage system, I didn't get very far in before I decided that the series had just become way too fiddly for me. A few months later, my best friend who loved MGS3 sat me down, and taught me how to use the actually CQC system, and once I had that down, I was able to blaze through the entire game barely ever touching the camo system, and loved it. It's now my favorite in the series.

#29 Edited by Relkin (1120 posts) -

The original Baldur's Gate when I was a kid. My brother convinced me to go back to it, and that opened up an entire genre that I've been in love with for the past 25 years.

There are others, but one that I haven't yet gone back to and played is Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. I've tried to like that game for over a decade, but it's opening few hours are just god-awful. Robert Boyd of Zeboyd Games made a blog post about it back when the Wonderful 101 came out, and it convinced me to give that game another shot. The rest of that series is so good. I need to find that disc.

#30 Posted by butano (1999 posts) -

Probably Morrowind. The amount of times I've started and quit that game is way too high. Mostly due to the beginning having REALLY rough combat at the early levels. I loved Oblivion and Skyrim and finally learned to like Morrowind after a while.

#31 Posted by impartialgecko (1941 posts) -

The Witcher 3 by a country mile. HATED the shonky movment, the finicky menus, the obsessive attention to animation detail that makes combat spongy and loose, and the awful performance on PS4. Came back to it after patch 1.10 a couple of weeks ago, got into the Bloody Baron stuff and started to love the game.

It still won't fucking end and I detest CD Projeckt RED's poor excuses for putting enemies in the path of the player just so that I have something to do, but I went from being utterly frustrated with that game to really enjoying it.

#32 Posted by IamTerics (788 posts) -

I have never had this happen to me. I'm usually the guy that tries to push games on to people.

#33 Posted by csl316 (14946 posts) -

Come to think of it, this very rarely happens. Last one I could think of was... hmm...

Hmmm...

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Played for 3 hours and boy, I was not compelled to keep going. But I kept hearing how good it gets, how awesome the ending is, blah blah. So after a year, I came back and it was amazing. Loved that game and enjoyed the 2D middle chapter when it went HD.

I still can't bring myself to play past the intro to Lords of Shadow 2. Loved everything about the beginning, but I keep hearing how terrible it gets. So the sequel was actually the opposite experience of the first. I was convinced to not play it.

#34 Edited by cmblasko (2902 posts) -

Took me 3 tries across a year or so to get into Binding of Isaac. Once I did, I was hooked. It is one of my most-played games ever.

#35 Edited by FlashFlood_29 (4393 posts) -

Ya'know, I actually remember this with Fallout 3 as well. I played the beginning and couldn't get past the first encounter with mole rats for some reason. Something about the combat and control just wasn't resonating with me. I gave it up for months and my friend wouldn't stop telling me how amazing the game is. I gave it another shot because I knew there had to be something there for me; the game sounded like it had everything I wanted. I managed to get past that first mole rat encounter pretty handily the second time and next 130 hours ended up being some of the most fun I've had with a game at that point. I played through all the DLC and did almost all the quests, and when I was ready to keep roaming the wasteland just for funsies the save corrupted. It was pretty spot on timing, really.

#36 Posted by lachrymoses (193 posts) -

No, if I'm not having fun in the first hour I stop playing because I value my time.

#37 Edited by ShaggE (9211 posts) -

While I still don't particularly enjoy Dark Souls, I've learned to greatly admire it. I picked up Bloodborne yesterday since I heard that it's the easiest of the bunch (not that it's *easy* in any sense of the word) and the setting is far more appealing to me, and it's really clicking. I'm having a blast.

The way people moon over the franchise kept me interested even after giving up on Dark Souls 1 and 2, and I'm glad I took one more shot at it. If I manage to beat Bloodborne, I'll definitely take another swing at Souls.

Edit: Took out Blood Starved Beast on my first try. Harrowing as all hell. I love this game.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#38 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (3642 posts) -

Witcher 3 isn't a "stick with it till it gets good" game, it's good from the start. People are telling GB to get back to it beacuse they all liked it then got distracted by other stuff and are now reluctant to pick it back up.

#39 Edited by armaan8014 (6306 posts) -

I quit playing the Witcher 1 (One, not three) in the beginning due to boredom. Came back to it months later and forced myself through the outskirts part and it became my #1 all time favorite game.

#40 Posted by nasp (652 posts) -

It took me 5 times to get into the first bioshock game because i would always get to the same spot and just never play it again for some reason.I bought bioshock infinite and loved it.Since the original game came with the ps3 version i gave it a 6th try and beat it in a couple sittings.I still dont know what held me back all those years but im glad i kept trying to get into it.

#41 Posted by Humanity (18573 posts) -

I wouldn't say hate, but the hearty recommendations on GB about Nier made me stick with it to the end despite the somewhat lackluster gameplay at times, and I grew to really appreciate the game because of it.

#42 Posted by extintor (1087 posts) -

For me this was Dishonored. My friend just kept on at me about what I was missing even though the game didn't click with me after the first few hours of play and I was sure I wasn't going to pick it up again. In the end I relented and actually really enjoyed it. A solid four star game...

#43 Posted by Arabes (744 posts) -

Crusader Kings 2. I knew that I'd like it if I got into but I bounced off it few times (that came to about 30 hours :) ). Now it's one of my favourites. I'm in the middle of a game at the moment :)

Avatar image for giantlizardking
#44 Posted by GiantLizardKing (1144 posts) -

Dark Souls and Spelunky are two of my all time favorites and initially I didn't like either of them at all.

#45 Posted by jaycrockett (855 posts) -

Jeff Green's play through of Dark Souls was very inspirational for me to give Dark Souls another chance.

#46 Posted by hermes (2588 posts) -

I have a really hard time trying to get past the first few hours of Kingdom Hearts 2. I ended up forcing myself to push through it and it got better after that, but boy... that tutorial.

I also have a hard time with the first hours of every AC game. I know they assume each game is the first AC game anyone ever played, so they have to put a lot of tutorials and explanations in the first sequences, but it tends to be really slow to ramp up for those used to the series.

#47 Posted by BBAlpert (2891 posts) -

I convinced a friend of mine to stick with Undertale after he had a really rough first impression, and now it's one of his favorite games of all time. Also, it turns out that part of his initial misgivings about the game (that the controls were messed up) were from his wireless keyboard running out of batteries and only registering about 2/3 of his inputs.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
#48 Posted by PurplePartyRobot (440 posts) -

Never happened to me. I decide early if a particular game is worth my time, and commit to finishing a playthrough of it. I have my reasons for disliking some games, and my friend's attempts to sway me otherwise have no success. If I hate a game, I'm not going to play it. If there are "good parts" according to my friends, I'm not going to put up with the game just to get to it. I'll watch a video if I must, but I definitely won't play it.

#49 Posted by Maluvin (750 posts) -

Dark Souls. I was super pissed off after being unable to get past the Capra Demon. Walked away for a couple months until my brother and brother-in-law kept saying I needed to keep trying and how much they were enjoying it. Finally "got it" with the Capra and then pushed through the rest and now it's one of my favorite games ever.

#50 Posted by GERALTITUDE (5988 posts) -

In general, I love curvy games. And by that I mean games that take time to get. Civilization, Crusader Kings, Xcom - none of these games had me jumping up and down in fun and excitement from minute 1. It took hours to get fun. And then EVEN MORE hours to become super fun. And then EVEN MORE hours to become TRUE FUN. But that said, while those Strategy/Tactical examples are obvious, I feel that way about most all games I play honestly.

Almost all my life I have always felt a mix of Love/Hate for the games I play. It doesn't happen early/late just feels constant. I could on forever about what I love and hate about Witcher 3, MGSV, Rocket League, Pillars, OlliOlli2 and every other game I played a lot this year. I could also do the same for Ocarina of Time, StarCraft, etc and my favourite games of my childhood too. So, yeah, I dunno.

As for needing to be convinced? Nah. I cycle through stuff all the time. Nothing is ever over in my life, for better or for worse.