From the Desk of the President: Kingdom Hearts without Disney?

• 59 results
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hello everyone! This is totally my first blog here! Anyways, I decided I would start a semi-regular blog series where I sit down and muse about certain things in the video game world. Most of the time these will be in some kind of question form, and I really would like to hear what people have to say in response. 

With that out of the way, lets get started!

Kingdom Hearts - Disney = Better game?

Let me first start out by saying that I really really liked the first Kingdom Hearts game. This was a game that had no business being as charming as it was . I really think it
 Blah blah blah pop culture reference, blah blah blah topical celebrity impersonation.
 Blah blah blah pop culture reference, blah blah blah topical celebrity impersonation.
took a lot of people by surprise, including myself. I think the reason I was more surprised than anyone else was that I have a distinct hatred of Final Fantasy (more on that later). Having grown up watching a lot of Disney films, I cannot adequately express the joy it gave me to travel to the different worlds. The most fun part about it was that you had all the big bads of the different movies in a sort of Legion of Doom type conspiracy to take down Sora and friends. I was also pleasantly surprised by the gameplay, the combat had a really good flow, and I'll never get tired of seeing Genie come in to offer assistance.  The game also created a distinct feel in each world with the various costume changes that the characters went through. Seeing everyone turn into their underwater creature in the Little Mermaid level for the first time, or flying around in the Peter Pan world were really special.

Oh god, those shoes.
 Oh god, those shoes.
  I mentioned earlier that I don't like Final Fantasy at all. I'll admit that I have never played much of an FF game from any era, but I did have some friends who were really into the series and I did see it played a lot. My hatred for FF comes from the strange story beats that it seems to take, and the ridiculous character design. I don't know who dresses these people, but I don't think there is a single FF character that wears an outfit even approaching normal. Fashion statements aside, I never really liked how a lot of the male FF characters are either "Dude I am way quiet so that must mean I'm a troubled badass" or "Angsty teen #1138". And the women seem to be either "I am so trusting and nice to everyone" or "I am a total tomboy and just want the men to accept me as an equal!". The story in FF also always seems totally convoluted and really difficult to follow along with. It also usually has something to do with pure hearts and messianic sacrifice and...I don't even know.

Now, at this point, you may be thinking "This guy is a total asshole, but I'll continue to read this blog to see him make more of a fool of himself" to which I say, a view is a view. But you might also be asking "Kingdom Hearts was a blend of Disney AND Final Fantasy, how could he like it so much if he hates FF". To this point I say, the stuff that I really hate about Final Fantasy was very muted in the first game. While the characters still retained that classic "5 year olds who dressed themselves" wardrobe, they as characters didn't figure much into the story aside from kinda just being there. The main story of that game (at least up until the end) also didn't annoy me. It had a very Star Wars vibe as well with Riku turning to the dark side and helping the villains. I found it very compelling. The endgame with Ansem, however, seemed totally unnecessary and I didn't much like it outside of seeing a good use for the scary volcano guy from Fantasia. The melodrama of some of the story beats really rubbed me the wrong way.

Yeah, its about as awesome as you think.
With my genuine love of the first game, I was understandably super excited for KH2. However, that's when my good will for the series started to run out. It all started with the stupid opening sequence where you play as some new kid Roxas in some new area that has nothing to do with Disney or anything you saw in the last game. Now, the first game started off in a similar manner, but not only was that necessary exposition, the one in KH2 goes on for a fucking long ass time. Aside from that, the game seemed to have a lack of plot focus. It seemed like 2 different games going on at the same time. KH2 also cranked up the angst meter to the max. Organization XIII was completely composed of angsty teens, and they even brought mopey Cloud to the party along with them. Smooth move Squeenix, smooth move. That's not to say I totally hated the game, there were some really enjoyable things about it. Going to the Game Grid and fighting alongside Tron as voiced by Bruce Boxleitner was a real joy, and James Woods as Hades is always a delight. But the FF elements were starting to become really noticeable and wear out their welcome. Rather than be a game anyone can appreciate like the first, it followed the tired "only for fans" approach Square seems to take for all of their other games.

Now, I have not played Re:Chain of Memories, Birth By Sleep, 358/2 Days or any other of their ridiculously named spinoff games, so I am going solely off the two main entries. I guess this brings me to the point of this blog. I have seen quite a few people express on the forums a desire for the Kingdom Hearts team to, in the words of one poster, "nut up and remove the Disney stuff" from the game. I have to ask, why? Why is this a good idea? Does the series then not just become another Final Fantasy series in the vein of Crystal Chronicles or something like that? The Disney elements add charm and a good frame of reference for people (like me) who know nothing about Final Fantasy. Moreover, KH2 would have been a HORRIBLE game without the awesome new Disney levels and characters. So, the question of this blog, to you, the reader: Why are there so many people who want to remove the one element that made the series unique and enjoyable?
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello everyone! This is totally my first blog here! Anyways, I decided I would start a semi-regular blog series where I sit down and muse about certain things in the video game world. Most of the time these will be in some kind of question form, and I really would like to hear what people have to say in response. 

With that out of the way, lets get started!

Kingdom Hearts - Disney = Better game?

Let me first start out by saying that I really really liked the first Kingdom Hearts game. This was a game that had no business being as charming as it was . I really think it
took a lot of people by surprise, including myself. I think the reason I was more surprised than anyone else was that I have a distinct hatred of Final Fantasy (more on that later). Having grown up watching a lot of Disney films, I cannot adequately express the joy it gave me to travel to the different worlds. The most fun part about it was that you had all the big bads of the different movies in a sort of Legion of Doom type conspiracy to take down Sora and friends. I was also pleasantly surprised by the gameplay, the combat had a really good flow, and I'll never get tired of seeing Genie come in to offer assistance.  The game also created a distinct feel in each world with the various costume changes that the characters went through. Seeing everyone turn into their underwater creature in the Little Mermaid level for the first time, or flying around in the Peter Pan world were really special.

Oh god, those shoes.
 Oh god, those shoes.
  I mentioned earlier that I don't like Final Fantasy at all. I'll admit that I have never played much of an FF game from any era, but I did have some friends who were really into the series and I did see it played a lot. My hatred for FF comes from the strange story beats that it seems to take, and the ridiculous character design. I don't know who dresses these people, but I don't think there is a single FF character that wears an outfit even approaching normal. Fashion statements aside, I never really liked how a lot of the male FF characters are either "Dude I am way quiet so that must mean I'm a troubled badass" or "Angsty teen #1138". And the women seem to be either "I am so trusting and nice to everyone" or "I am a total tomboy and just want the men to accept me as an equal!". The story in FF also always seems totally convoluted and really difficult to follow along with. It also usually has something to do with pure hearts and messianic sacrifice and...I don't even know.

Now, at this point, you may be thinking "This guy is a total asshole, but I'll continue to read this blog to see him make more of a fool of himself" to which I say, a view is a view. But you might also be asking "Kingdom Hearts was a blend of Disney AND Final Fantasy, how could he like it so much if he hates FF". To this point I say, the stuff that I really hate about Final Fantasy was very muted in the first game. While the characters still retained that classic "5 year olds who dressed themselves" wardrobe, they as characters didn't figure much into the story aside from kinda just being there. The main story of that game (at least up until the end) also didn't annoy me. It had a very Star Wars vibe as well with Riku turning to the dark side and helping the villains. I found it very compelling. The endgame with Ansem, however, seemed totally unnecessary and I didn't much like it outside of seeing a good use for the scary volcano guy from Fantasia. The melodrama of some of the story beats really rubbed me the wrong way.

With my genuine love of the first game, I was understandably super excited for KH2. However, that's when my good will for the series started to run out. It all started with the stupid opening sequence where you play as some new kid Roxas in some new area that has nothing to do with Disney or anything you saw in the last game. Now, the first game started off in a similar manner, but not only was that necessary exposition, the one in KH2 goes on for a fucking long ass time. Aside from that, the game seemed to have a lack of plot focus. It seemed like 2 different games going on at the same time. KH2 also cranked up the angst meter to the max. Organization XIII was completely composed of angsty teens, and they even brought mopey Cloud to the party along with them. Smooth move Squeenix, smooth move. That's not to say I totally hated the game, there were some really enjoyable things about it. Going to the Game Grid and fighting alongside Tron as voiced by Bruce Boxleitner was a real joy, and James Woods as Hades is always a delight. But the FF elements were starting to become really noticeable and wear out their welcome. Rather than be a game anyone can appreciate like the first, it followed the tired "only for fans" approach Square seems to take for all of their other games.

Now, I have not played Re:Chain of Memories, Birth By Sleep, 358/2 Days or any other of their ridiculously named spinoff games, so I am going solely off the two main entries. I guess this brings me to the point of this blog. I have seen quite a few people express on the forums a desire for the Kingdom Hearts team to, in the words of one poster, "nut up and remove the Disney stuff" from the game. I have to ask, why? Why is this a good idea? Does the series then not just become another Final Fantasy series in the vein of Crystal Chronicles or something like that? The Disney elements add charm and a good frame of reference for people (like me) who know nothing about Final Fantasy. Moreover, KH2 would have been a HORRIBLE game without the awesome new Disney levels and characters. So, the question of this blog, to you, the reader: Why are there so many people who want to remove the one element that made the series unique and enjoyable?
dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By dragonzord

The people who want to remove Disney from these games are the same ones who have the username xSephirothx and like over abundant yaoi fanfic. I'd ignore them as they're the minority.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

I've never played a Kingdom Hearts game, am I missing out on anything epic?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

I doubt that Square Enix could remove Disney from Kingdom Hearts at this point, given how the rights of the non-Final Fantasy characters (i.e.: Sora, Riku, etc.) belong to Disney, from what I understand.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By BaneFireLord

The only reason why I enjoy Kingdom Hearts at any level is because of the Disney characters. I absolutely hate all the JRPG characters and Final Fantasy stuff. 

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Yeah, Disney was the only reason I played the first Kingdom Hearts. I hate Final Fantasy games and all of the stupid characters that go along with it. But I love Disney characters. So I played the first one and liked it quite a bit. I never did play the second one, or anything that came later. But if they would just release a new one on consoles already, WITH Disney characters, I would be on board.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Isn't that what Final Fantasy Versus or whatever is going to be?

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By galiant
@Axxol said:
I'd say so. I'm not sure how well the games hold up today, though. When they were new they were very exciting and I personally loved the atmosphere, seeing as how I also grew up watching Disney films, like many others.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
Isn't that what Final Fantasy Versus or whatever is going to be?
Yeah I believe it is. 

Anyways, I think the Disney stuff is what makes Kingdom Hearts appealing to a wider audience and is also what makes it great.
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jay444111
@Axxol said:
The entire series is one of the few crossovers to ever work amazingly well. 

When you meet up with disney stuff, it usually is pretty kiddy, but once you head to the games original stuff, things get really fucking dark. I am not joking about this, the first 3 hours of KH2 with Roxas is pretty damn insane as the twist is revealed, almost as insane as Bioshock really I must admit. Along with the fact that hollow bastion in the entirety of all the games is the most mature thing in any kids game I have ever seen. (Some certain parts are WTFOMG worthy for the sheer maturity of it, still amazed to this day that it has never gotten a T rating at all.) The FF characters are done mainly well, Auron is still the complete badass he was in FF10 and all that. Although the them of friendship and strength of heart is used alot. it is still a great series. Many mature themes, amazing music, damn good voice acting, and good villains. recommend highly. Although the story can get confusing, but it is pretty damn solid for the most part when you find everything out. No plotholes to speak of. (Nomura does know how to write... unlike the guy who did FF13.)
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

If Versus XIII is a hit with the KH fanbase, I can see the KH team dropping or lowering Disney.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Afroman269

If Disney leaves that franchise, so will I.

President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm glad to see there are a lot of people who really enjoy the Disney parts of the KH games.

@Hailinel said:

I doubt that Square Enix could remove Disney from Kingdom Hearts at this point, given how the rights of the non-Final Fantasy characters (i.e.: Sora, Riku, etc.) belong to Disney, from what I understand.

I know they probably couldn't, it just always confused me that there are people out there who think the Disney elements of the franchise need to go. It would be like a Reese's without chocolate.
Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disney is such an enjoyable nostalgic rush in Kingdom Hearts, I'd be saddened if they ever removed that part. And if they did - then it's just like a toned down FF and we already have one of those in XIII...

Solidfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Solidfox
@Afroman269 said:
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Afroman269
@Axxol: Try out the first game. The second game kinda gets crazier with their fiction but it's still enjoyable.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

Why does it sound like you haven't played a lot of Final Fantasy games? I have other complaints, but I'll leave it at that.

President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Video_Game_King said:
Why does it sound like you haven't played a lot of Final Fantasy games? I have other complaints, but I'll leave it at that.
...because I admitted I haven't

I'll admit that I have never played much of an FF game from any era, but I did have some friends who were really into the series and I did see it played a lot.

And I would very much welcome your criticisms oh god of Renegade Ego.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BraveToaster
@Afroman269 said:
@Axxol: Try out the first game. The second game kinda gets crazier with their fiction but it's still enjoyable.
Okay. I hope I can find both games.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King
@President_Barackbar

Where to start?

• Organization XIII isn't really full of angsty teens. A lot of them aren't even teenagers, and they don't have angst (angst is an emotion, right?).
  • That long-ass Roxas intro was kind of necessary, since he's pretty important to the plot. How else would 358/2 Days happen, or Riku become evil Riku? Your carelessness has eliminated at least two subplots!
  • Mopey Cloud? That one just confuses me.
Yea, that oughta do it.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By penguindust

There are already Final Fantasy mash-ups out there including the most recent Dissidia entries.  The whole point of Kingdom Hearts (as in "Magic Kingdom") is the crossover with Disney.  It's the combination of Eastern and Western icons that makes the franchise so entertaining.  Sure, not every game is going to be as magical as the first, but that doesn't have anything to do with the inclusion of Disney characters.  I admit, for future installments they might want to dig a little deeper than Jack Sparrow and Tron.  It would be really nice to include the Pixar characters as well as Bolt and Rapunzel from Tangled in a future game.   Maybe some Pixar stuff did make it into some games, I don't know much past Chain of Memories.  

If Kingdom Hearts removed Disney it wouldn't be Kingdom Hearts anymore, but I wouldn't mind some other mash up.  The problem is I don't think anything else has the global acceptance than Disney does.  Maybe in another two or three decades, Dream Works will have enough out to build a game around.  I know, from a Western perspective, Warner Bros Looney Tunes is the obvious replacement, but I believe that would change the dynamic of the series.  Bugs and crew are more about slapstick comedy than adventure, friendship and conquering our fears which are themes in Disney movies and Final Fantasy games.  Square Enix could go with Western comic book characters but Capcom already took Marvel and I'm not sure there is a demand to see Batman hanging out with Tidus.  In my mind, one of the principle facets of KH is these Japanese characters interacting with characters who are largely different than themselves.  If that's removed, it loses a lot of what makes it unique.  

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dingofighter

I would not really want to play a Kingdom Hearts game without the disney part. 
Maybe it's because I don't really like Final Fantasy, and the disney characters and worlds balance that out a bit.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Karkarov

good god fanboi comes out to play.  First don't talk about FF at all, you admit you have played none of the games, the end your done.  If you don't know what you are talking about don't talk about it.   Second Kingdom Hearts was never that good, I played the first one, wondered why everyone seemed to think it was so good (I would rank it average) and the second one stank bar none.  Tron was the only good thing about it.  The rest of them are exactly what the first two were, JRPG's with disney characters in them.  You hate FF tough cause here comes a scary reality, replace the disney characters with random FF ones you never see and make a slight setting change and the game is perfectly in tact.  You don't need to adjust the story in the tiniest little bit.  It was always a FF game with disney characters tacked on to con people who don't like FF into buying it.  Guess what? It worked.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Axersia

I bought the original KH solely for the Disney elements (well, that and the gameplay appealed to me) as I hadn't played any other Square games at the time, and I wouldn't wanna see them removed from the franchise. But honestly, if they had just adopted the FF model and created a bunch of standalone games, or turned it into a run-of-the-mill platformer without much of a story like originally intended, I doubt I would've enjoyed the series nearly as much and wouldn't have stuck with it for close to 9 years now. So while I wouldn't want them to remove Disney entirely (and I don't think I've ever met anyone that did -- just people who were "OK" with it), I don't mind that Disney hasn't always been as prominently featured in the sequels as it was in the original.

If you care that much about the Disney aspect, why don't you just play Epic Mickey instead? Either that or you could wait for a potential reboot after they finish up the Xehanort saga in KH3. Disney owns everything KH with the exception of FF and Tarzan, so they have full right to take the franchise away from Square Enix and have some other company run it into the ground.

President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Karkarov: I don't really know what to say. I know you don't share my opinion, but I don't really think you can call me a fanboy because I really liked the first and thought the second was ok.

@Axersia: Because Epic Mickey is horrible and doesn't feature any Disney characters I care about. And my real complaint is that the first game struck a nice BALANCE between FF and Disney, whereas the second one seemed to put the Disney stuff into the back seat.
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Video_Game_King said:
@President_Barackbar

Where to start?

• Organization XIII isn't really full of angsty teens. A lot of them aren't even teenagers, and they don't have angst (angst is an emotion, right?).
  • That long-ass Roxas intro was kind of necessary, since he's pretty important to the plot. How else would 358/2 Days happen, or Riku become evil Riku? Your carelessness has eliminated at least two subplots!
  • Mopey Cloud? That one just confuses me.
Yea, that oughta do it.
They might not all be teens, but there was a lot of "wahh wahh feel sorry for us poor Nobodies" going on with the Organization. As for the Roxas intro, just because they made it necessary to later games that I didn't play doesn't mean I have to like it. And KH2 featured the god awful "I'm dark and brooding because I cant beat Sephiroth" Cloud. That is mopey Cloud.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Video_Game_King
@President_Barackbar

• The only ones I remember asking for pity were Demyx and maybe Axel. Other than that, they were stoic badasses led by somebody with a spray-on tan.
  • OK, I guess. Still, not having Roxas would still have a plot hole (Naminé exists, but not a Sora Nobody?).
  • Eh, I guess you're right on that. Then again, he doesn't appear a lot in the game. You see him hanging out by a building, then he fights off Heartless, then Goofy dies, then he doesn't, and that's it.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#28  Edited By Hailinel

If you want more characterization for the Organization, I'd recommend playing 358/2 Days, which is entirely Organization-centric.  It helps flesh out the personalities and motivations of its members.

President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Video_Game_King: The whole "nobody" plot could've been axed without much loss in my opinion.
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
If you want more characterization for the Organization, I'd recommend playing 358/2 Days, which is entirely Organization-centric.  It helps flesh out the personalities and motivations of its members.
I'm REALLY not interested in them at all, I wish they weren't in the second game at all.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Video_Game_King
@President_Barackbar

How? If you get rid of the Nobody plot, then you destroy the villain's motivations, along with the villain himself. Now the game doesn't have much of a point other than "fuck around in these worlds, for some reason."
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NTM

I wouldn't want the Disney characters to go either, but I'm pretty sure the reason someone wants them gone is because they want to venture to the Final Fantasy worlds and not so much the Disney. Back in high school when the games came out, two of my friends that liked the game (and loved FF) said they almost didn't play it because they thought with the Disney characters in there, it was going to be too kiddy, but they ended up liking it anyways. And my best friend (and his little sister) that's never played either game both said the same comment you have up there about the shoes. I think some people just don't like the mix. I don't think my brother likes the Disney stuff as much as the FF aspect either. I for one, like both (though I've only gotten 30 minutes to 20 hours in on any FF game). 

President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Video_Game_King: The heartless would still be there.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I think Disney is what makes Kingdom Hearts. 
JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JazGalaxy
@Axxol said:
no. It's a bizarre game who's popularity is indicative of a certain type of gamer who exited in a certain time in gaming. I don't forsee it's appeal making any sense to gamers older or younger than those in the strikezone of the game when it was released.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BraveToaster
@JazGalaxy said:
@Axxol said:
no. It's a bizarre game who's popularity is indicative of a certain type of gamer who exited in a certain time in gaming. I don't forsee it's appeal making any sense to gamers older or younger than those in the strikezone of the game when it was released.
Huh?
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#37  Edited By Little_Socrates

I really like KH, but I don't really think anything they do after the disappointing KH2 could make me want to play a Kingdom Hearts game again. After all, KH2, in all its crazyness, wasn't even really open-ended; it was a self contained story made "open-ended" by 

That said, given the choice between KH with Disney or without Disney, I'd much rather have with. I have no real interest in doing most of the KH stuff again, but they still could retry a few of the slightly underwhelming levels, such as Pirates of the Caribbean, Never Land, and Alice in Wonderland. That said, it sounds like they've attempted some of the things I've thought of in 358/2 Days and Birth By Sleep, but I really have no interest in playing a handheld Kingdom Hearts game (though I did play Chain of Memories on GBA near its launch.) 

My biggest worry is that KH3 will try to out-crazy the previous game, making it an incomprehensible mess that happens to have Disney levels in it. Hopefully, they'll make a move back towards simple and sweet. You know, like Indiana Jones did. 
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By habster3

@Afroman269 said:

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zeforgotten

The Disney Characters and worlds are what makes those games great to me, taking Disney out of it and it would be a shitfest worse than... 
Well, whatever the hell terrible game Square has made since

Avatar image for christiancastillo
ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bloodgraiv3 said:
I think Disney is what makes Kingdom Hearts. 
Yea, if Disney wasn't in the first kingdom hearts how interesting would that game be?  The world of Disney+Square is what makes KH unique.
beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By beforet

There's already been a Kingdom Hearts without Disney. Or Final Fantasy. And it wasn't even made by Square (but they did publish it and do own it)

It was called Nier.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@Axxol said:

Yes
TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TepidShark
@wolf_blitzer85: That is why I am looking forward to Versus XIII because I like Kingdom Hearts as gameplay but the storyline is kinda immature at times.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By toowalrus
@Axxol said:
I still hold my belief that Kingdom Hearts should have been a one-off game. That first one was pretty rad- for a 12-year-old me it was, anyway. You ran around a beach and built a raft to leave the island, then you fought the Heartless, then went through Wonderland and  Agrabah and uh... Hercules land- Greece I guess. I don't know, I never played the sequels, but from what I've seen of them, they're dumb.
HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By HumanityPlague

If you take Disney out of Kingdom Hearts, it becomes a really dumb Final Fantasy game.  It's largely the Disney charm and characters that keep me going.  Sora/Riku/Kairi are all completely vacant as characters.  And all the FF guys do (Square, Squall, Yuffie, Sephiroth) do is stand around, waiting to do something.  It's going into the world and hanging with Aladdin, or visiting Halloween Town, which is the cool parts of Kingdom Hearts.  If anything, there's not enough Disney in those games (actual good Disney worlds, not the stupid Little Mermaid crap).

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@Afroman269 said:
This. I fucking love KH but removing Disney would be removing half of the "soul" of the game. Fuck that.
soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By soldierg654342

Kingdom Hearts had an interesting combat system, but that's the only real take away I had from it. There were many times in my 24-hour stint with Final Fantasy 13 where I wished that game used Kingdom Hearts combat system. The battles looked like an action RPG, why not make it play like one. 

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NathHaw

A lot of people who love KH love it, because it incorporates two things that made them feel nostalgic: Final Fantasy and Disney.  I loved the parts in either 1 or 2 where Cloud and Sephiroth fought as well as playing through the Beauty and the Beast's Hollow Bastion.  For the people who'd never played Final Fantasy games, I can see why many of them didn't like KH as much as somebody like me.   

I remember the first time I saw a trailer for KH was at E3 2002.  I remember I'd read some details about the game in a magazine, and thought it sounded kinda silly, but after I walked past the booth showing the trailer and playing the awesome music, I knew it was going to be more than I'd anticipated.   After I finished the game, I knew that it was one of my favorites of all time.  

When 2 came out, I went and bought it.  I enjoyed it as well.  I still watch the opening movies for both games on youtube fairly often.

madhattervx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#49  Edited By madhattervx

I really enjoyed the first Kingdom Hearts. I could see a Kingdom Hearts without Disney, but in my mind it would need to be a crossover with a different company, probably multiple companies. However, just try to convince multiple companies that they should all team up for a super-game. Not going to happen. 
Besides, even if that were possible, Disney is admittedly very hard to beat.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By TehFlan

You wrote this like three months ago, but I didn't notice it then, so whatever. I certainly agree that the Disney parts are what make KH special. I also agree that the first KH was a better game. That said, I don't have any kind of problem with the Final Fantasy stuff, and prefer the first KH more because of the way the two games play than the story bits (not that I'd want KH3 to get any more crazy than KH 2 was). 

Also, you should play Chain of Memories. That game is great.