#1 Edited by Sweetz (1129 posts) -

Will GB have a pass through or portal or whatever you call it to have GB chat over the Game Awards? Looks like GameSpot is doing that.

I know GB staff is probably too busy/tired from their own GOTY to do a "let's talk over" stream, but it'd be cool if we got some chat participation from the staff.

#2 Posted by fatalbanana (1076 posts) -

They usually have the chat up for the awards I don't see what would be different this year.

#3 Posted by Mike (17962 posts) -

Chat will be up but they won't be talking over it or anything.

#4 Posted by Brackstone (802 posts) -

I think it would be kind of awkward to have them talking over it. It's sort of like critiquing another outlets tastes in games, really. Sure it rides the line between press event and awards show, but the awards show part of it really does make it quite different from all the other big reveal events we get each year, even just in terms of pacing.

#5 Posted by Humanity (18257 posts) -

I'm mostly excited about the potential trailers and announcements. I've never actually sat down to watch the award show proper. I do give props to Geoff for really trying to make this thing as good as it can be given the scope and backer obligations etc. Guy gets a ton of flack but I think he genuinely wants this to be less of cringe-fest than most shows and cares about games.

#6 Posted by sub_o (1142 posts) -

Geoff went from VGA to TGA. He did an amazing job, truly the true trending gamer, second to Jeff Gerstmann.

I hope that TGA will have a fair share of interesting indie and cRPGs in addition to all the big names.

#7 Edited by frytup (1187 posts) -

Don't give a damn about awards shows, but I admit they suckered me in to this with a couple of announcements. I'll watch long enough to see what Obsidian is up to.

#8 Posted by Ares42 (4183 posts) -
Avatar image for bladeofcreation
#9 Posted by BladeOfCreation (1145 posts) -

Looking forward to the Dragon Age reveal and the absolutely cringe-inducing ads for games that are nominated.

The real treat of The Game Awards always comes later, though, when we see the "Content Creator of the Year" (formerly "Trending Gamer") say something that truly makes us stand up and go, "Yeah. That guy really IS the best gaming has to offer this year."

#10 Posted by Gundato (50 posts) -

Doing paperwork and other non-fun stuff so was going to watch TGA for the first time ever

Turned in to Detroit being nominated for best narrative and people cheering with "woo"s. And then watching Red Dead win and confirming that games truly are art with respect to high profile stuff winning everything

Still, more power to the folk who enjoy that stuff.

#11 Posted by JellyCube (18 posts) -

Really don't like how TGA is just a publicity stunt for video game announcements.

#12 Edited by Tennmuerti (9418 posts) -

@humanity said:

I'm mostly excited about the potential trailers and announcements. I've never actually sat down to watch the award show proper. I do give props to Geoff for really trying to make this thing as good as it can be given the scope and backer obligations etc. Guy gets a ton of flack but I think he genuinely wants this to be less of cringe-fest than most shows and cares about games.

For what it's worth I think this year he finally did it.

Mostly devoid of truly bad cringe and just legit was a good show this year overall. Even awards themselves felt like the main event rather then just a byproduct for trailers.

#13 Posted by Sweetz (1129 posts) -

I thought it was actually pretty good. Props to the Keighley and crew for pulling it off.

Also, while I'm sure there are some people who would call the "boy" bit obvious and pandering, it gave me a little pang of sentimentality and made me happy.

I'm glad the right game won :)

#14 Posted by fnrslvr (561 posts) -

No Metroid reveal (neither Prime 4 nor the Wii Prime Trilogy bundle for Switch), contrary to numerous reports apparently flying around the twitterverse.

Predicting that I'll wake up tomorrow to a Kotaku article about how the Metroid fanbase has again lost its shit because Prime 4 remains in limbo. I'm almost certain that when Nintendo announced it in the first place, all that actually existed was the title and that makeshift logo that they put out there just to shut the fanbase up, and that the actual game is only a year and a half into something like a four year dev cycle. But I'll admit I got a little hopeful, maybe because I also really want Prime 4.

That said, Smash Ultimate just launched today and it's one of the most incredible packages of game content ever launched, so whatevs.

#15 Edited by glots (4131 posts) -

I was also suckered in by the hopes of a Metroid related announcement, but no such thing. I guess Nintendo will (maybe) also have something for the Kinda Funny Games over the weekend, but probably nothing amazing.

Didn’t watch the show, because staying up till 4am on a workweek didn’t sound like a good idea.

#16 Edited by FlashFlood_29 (4310 posts) -
@gundato said:

Doing paperwork and other non-fun stuff so was going to watch TGA for the first time ever

Turned in to Detroit being nominated for best narrative and people cheering with "woo"s. And then watching Red Dead win and confirming that games truly are art with respect to high profile stuff winning everything

Still, more power to the folk who enjoy that stuff.

• Celeste was nominated for GOTY.
  • Dead Cells won Best Action Game (beating out COD4, Destiny 2, Far Cry 5)
  • Into the Breach won Best Strategy Game
  • Return of Obra Dinn won Best Art Direction (beating out Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, God of War, RDR2) while Octopath was another nominee
  • Overcooked 2 won Best Family Game (beating out Mario Aces, Mario Party, Nintendo LABO, and Starlink)
  • A Way Out was nominated for Best Game Direction
  • Octopath was also nominated for Best Score/Music
  • Best Independent Game was presented on stage
  • Florence won Best Mobile Game (beating out Fortnite) and Donut County, and Reigns were other nominees
  • The Messenger won Best Debut Indie Game
  • Best Student Game featured an interview with the devs

There were a couple categories that others and I did complain about that were utter trash of decision but this did not feel like a complete high profile game circle jerk. It was enjoyable, moved through ads quickly, and had a ton of fun of announcements, new trailers and endearing moments. Best Game Awards I've watched through, yet.

#17 Edited by fnrslvr (561 posts) -

^Also, Best Sports/Racing Game was Forza Horizon 4, and Best Fighting Game was Dragon Ball FighterZ. (Both obviously the correct choices.)

#18 Posted by Gundato (50 posts) -

@flashflood_29:

There are always some upsets (also, RDR wouldn't even be eligible for most of those). But my point is that we've reached the point where you can just vaguely recall a commercial/trailer and have a good feeling as to who is getting the most nominees and a significant number of the awards (I do acknowledge I forgot God of War was a thing this year)

And that isn't necessarily bad. Award shows inherently target what the industry wants, which tends to be "artiste" stuff. And the fact that the "Oh, its a period piece" equivalent is actually one of the community's is nice. But it is still "art" in the sense of having made things so, if not formulaic, then predictable.

#19 Edited by someoneproud (378 posts) -

I was only there for the new games but I did enjoy the musical bits, really didn't want/need the lecturing on vaping or ads for shit I already knew about but overall I enjoyed it. The winners were very predictable but that was always gonna be the case and it really wasn't why I tuned in.

I'd like to see them do away with some of the influencer / esports team backslapping in favour of some industry awards like Best Interviewer (mainly because I think a certain Jeff Gerstmann would be a helluva contender and I'd like to see it formally recognised)

I REALLY want an Audiobook read by the "boy" dude in the jazzy suit with a voice like Barry White. I could listen to him forever.

Edit: Literally took me until just now to realise he was the voice of Kratos... That makes a lot of sense... I'm an idiot tbf.

#20 Edited by IBMer (48 posts) -

Was this entire event just paid for by Epic? It somehow felt even more corporate and bought out than the previous years. Fortnite Fortnite Fortnite. Hey this game is on the Epic launcher! Fortnite.

The event is a bit of a joke to me, I watch it because it's another chance for some announcements. It doesn't feel like a celebration of video games except for rare moments like the God of War actor saying "Read it boy" to the other actor.

All of the eSports categories are a joke, if you aren't a member or player of a community/game, nobody knows who any other team/player nominated is. What's the point? Then again I guess the entire event is a popularity contest when you break it down.

It's a cardboard frame of an award show but beneath the surface is a briefcase full of v-bucks.

#21 Posted by Deathstriker (1025 posts) -

@sweetz: I love GOW and RDR2, but I'd give GOTY to RDR2. It felt like GOW was holding a lot back for the sake of sequels that's why they kept recycling Baldur, didn't let you fight any other popular Norse god, and didn't really even show Odin or Thor even though they said their names a million times.