Posted by nintendoeats (6222 posts) -
#1 Posted by nintendoeats (6222 posts) -
Avatar image for video_game_king
#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

Although I haven't listened to your podcast (I don't know how to listen to podcasts), I completely agree with you that freedom is overrated.

#3 Posted by nintendoeats (6222 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: It's not a podcast, it's an audioblog. Dammit.

#4 Posted by amomjc (978 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

@Video_Game_King: It's not a podcast, it's an audioblog. Dammit.

Semantics?

Anyway, yeah I agree, freedom is way overrated.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

What's the difference? I can't imagine that you just type out a blog and read the script for it. That would be insane.

#6 Posted by nintendoeats (6222 posts) -

@csoup: Entirely, but I like my semantics. Especially when Apple products get involved.

@Video_Game_King: Well call me crazypants mc'retardhead.

The reason that I record them is that these are long and complicated. As an auditory learner, I prefer my long complicated things in audio form.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

Wait, you're writing these out? Then why not just post the written out stuff? At least that way, people (probably) won't browse around Cracked or whatever while half-listening to this. (That's how I listened to podcasts until I realized that something was very wrong with that.)

#8 Posted by nintendoeats (6222 posts) -

@Video_Game_King:

Then I would have to edit the written stuff, and I couldn't go off script at all in the recording. Also, I really do think that this is the ideal way to consume the content that I'm producing. If people aren't going to pay attention to the audio version, I don't really see why they would bother reading the written one.

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

Oh, you didn't write it out? Things are much better now. Then why am I supposed to call you Crazypants McRetardhead again? Is it because you're some Irish variant of SpongeBob? Also, writing it out would at least force people to pay attention to it, wouldn't it? Either you go all in, or don't read it at all; you don't half-ass written content. Then again (again), I don't listen to podcasts, so I have no fucking clue how this works.

#10 Posted by matoya (775 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Oh, you didn't write it out? Things are much better now. Then why am I supposed to call you Crazypants McRetardhead again? Is it because you're some Irish variant of SpongeBob? Also, writing it out would at least force people to pay attention to it, wouldn't it? Either you go all in, or don't read it at all; you don't half-ass written content. Then again (again), I don't listen to podcasts, so I have no fucking clue how this works.

But if people write too much stupid shit, like in a lot of your blogs, they get bored halfway through. An audio clip is easier to listen to than reading reams of text

#11 Edited by nintendoeats (6222 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: I go off script a little bit to make the whole thing feel a bit more natural. We are talking about a few words or a sentence here and there. It's still largely the same, just very small changes made during the final recording process.

In most cases you would be right, but in this situation I'm not trying to push content to people. If somebody isn't naturally interested enough to pay attention to the audio-only, they were never my target audience.

@Matoya said:

But if people write too much stupid shit, like in a lot of your blogs, they get bored halfway through. An audio clip is easier to listen to than reading reams of text

Also this.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
#12 Posted by deactivated-589cf9e3c287e (1984 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: Says the king who posts walls of texts as blogs, and then expects people not to immediately click on the video of Elmer Fudd making sweet, sweet love to a grilled-cheese sandwich.

The correct way to listen to a podcast is to play an action RPG/MMORPG while listening to it. Objectiveless games like Terraria and Minecraft also work out well. Or so I hear.
#13 Posted by nintendoeats (6222 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: Indeed, Terraria has been very helpful for Bombcasting in absence of a commute.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
#14 Posted by deactivated-589cf9e3c287e (1984 posts) -
@nintendoeats: Borderlands is helpful for stumbling through the tricording, as well. Anyway, I thought your blog was great. However, I didn't listen to the last episode (due to someone pointing out that there were Red Dead spoilers) and as a result I have no idea what a PIPP is. Would you mind explaining yourself without Red Dead spoilers.
#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -
@c0l0nelp0c0rn1

Considering that both I and my audience liked that blog, something has to be working. Maybe my last blog would have been more popular if I stuffed more Elmer Fudd fetishes in there.

@Matoya

That's really as short as I can make them without boiling it down to "this game is good, it has balls and stuff."
#16 Posted by nintendoeats (6222 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: I introduced the PIPP in episode 5, "Time," but that was a while ago. Shorthand version: a PIPP is the time that it takes a player to observe, process, and react to a stimulus in the game. an EPIPP is the same process over long a period of time.

As for the Red Dead spoilers, you can still listen to episode 6 if you stop at 4:53, start at 5:48, and stop again at 9:15. That should give you enough context for this one to make sense.

#17 Edited by Akrid (1395 posts) -

I'd prefer to read this instead of listen, personally. I can't digest this somewhat heady information while I'm doing other things, and I've trained myself to do other things while listening to podca- Erm, audio blogs. I simply cannot break this habit, despite being very interested in the content. Whereas a text I can easily hunker down and read it at my own leisure. I'm sure a lot of others have the same problem when they see your blog. It's also a tall order to get someone to listen to a total stranger talk about game design without any sort of immediate proof that they know their shit. I imagine that many don't get far past the intro because of this.

Last blog you had a whopping 120 comments. I'm sure most of that is because it was based around something controversial, but I think the text form at least aided it. I totally understand why you would want people to just listen though, so it's up to you.

#18 Posted by nintendoeats (6222 posts) -

@Akrid: I can't even begin to relate, but if people really have trouble with the audio format I'll consider including text. I'm just concerned that this issue will be replaced with a stack of TL;DRs, and that even the people who read through will start to get lost in the sea of information. Also, it's slightly more work because I have to edit and format and nonsense.

Anyway, I am at least glad that you like the content that you pick up :)

#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

I love how I steered the discussion completely in the wrong direction with my off-hand comment. Hooray for attention deficit!

#20 Posted by WickedCestus (3781 posts) -

I just play Solitaire while listening to these. I can last seven minutes without having to go read/listen to something else. 

In conclusion, you guys are all crazy.

#21 Posted by Fobwashed (2740 posts) -

Can you make this a video that I can watch instead of listen to? Also, it'd be great if you could just turn the whole thing into a game so I can play your conversations. Maybe like Valve's developer's commentaries. Those are hotness. Can you make a AAA game title, then put in audio logs so I can listen to them as you demonstrate them? Thanks.

#22 Posted by nintendoeats (6222 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: It's an important discussion to have.

@Fobwashed: I cannot begin to describe how much I have been wanting to do all of the above.

#23 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

How would you turn it into a game?.....Does Braid have a decent modding community?

#24 Posted by nintendoeats (6222 posts) -

@Video_Game_King:

A: It has a level editor.

B: Every topic would be served best by a different set of mechanics, though Braid would be a good place to start.

#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -
  1. It does? I don't remember that from almost seven months ago.
  2. I only chose Braid because of the book feature at the beginning of each world. Super Mario 64 would work just as well, especially since it has a robust ROM hacking community (if I knew anything about ROM hacking, I'd shove all of Ocarina of Time into Super Mario 64.) and a ton of sign posts, at least in the garden.
#26 Posted by nintendoeats (6222 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: I've never liked that aspect of Braid. The relation between the writing and the mechanics is neat, but wall of text is never good exposition.

Level editor is in the PC version.

#27 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

I'll just leave it at "I own the PC version", because I know that this conversation has come to a grinding halt.

#28 Posted by nintendoeats (6222 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: It's...hidden...