• 132 results
Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By Joe423

I feel like it's probably Dark Souls for me. Personally, it changed the way I think about games and I feel like the impact it has had on the industry is gigantic.

It almost ruined From Software games for me as well since every time I start one I wonder if it'll be as good as Dark Souls.

sahest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

There's maybe two or three games I would consider higher quality or that I like better overall. But Dark Souls had by far the biggest impact on me. It's just incomparable. That game changed me as a person, largely for the better. And I can't think of any other media that even comes close.

Looking at the rest of the thread, it's not the most original answer. But man, that game is very special, and back then, even more so.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Threes?

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Probably Skyrim for me. Before that I never really got the appeal of open world games. I screwed around in GTAs and liked what I played of Assassin's Creed II but for the most part they never clicked for me. But Skyrim sucked me in so hard and didn't let go until well over 200 hours later. have nothing but fond memories exploring that world. Still don't play a lot of open world games but certainly understand the appeal of "sandboxes where you can do whatever the hell you want" much more viscerally now.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I think I'd go with Dark Souls, with runners up being Nier/Nier Automata and Rocket League.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overwatch or The Last of Us.

lorbst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rocket League. What a save! Nice shot! Sorry!

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls.

Haven't really invested that much time in a game since. Probably wouldn't want to try now, either

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

For me, there is only one answer:

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for vincentvendetta
VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

1. Journey (Thatgamecompany, 2012)
  2. Tetris Effect (Monstars, Resonair, 2018)
  3. Howling Dogs (Porpentine, 2012)

...That's pretty much it

mrcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My personal list:

1. Dark Souls
  2. The Witcher 3
  3. Nier: Automata
  4. The Last of Us
  5. Mass Effect 2
  6. Red Dead Redemption
  7. Super Mario Odyssey
  8. Bayonetta 2
  9. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  10. Portal 2
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Demon's Souls. Took a gamble and imported it from Korea before it was available in the EU and US and before anyone knew it blew up and became more then just a curious odd game.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Ben_H

I don't think I could pick just one game since there are so many I would rank up there. So here's 10 games I liked the most in an unranked order. I could make an argument for most of these games:

• Starcraft 2
  • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Outer Wilds
  • FTL
  • Life Is Strange
  • Red Dead Redemption 1
  • Dirt Rally
  • HITMAN/HITMAN 2
  • Skyrim
  • The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Honourable mentions include: Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Stardew Valley, Sid Meier's Civ V, Super Street Fighter IV, Saints Row The Third, Dota 2, Motorsport Manager, The CodeMasters F1 games (2019 is particularly good)

I guess my list kinda reflects that I don't play a ton of new games anymore, mostly just old stuff. There are several games I also haven't played yet but am going to like Life Is Strange 2 now that all of it has been released. Similarly with Kentucky Route Zero, which I technically own but haven't played. I also just recently bought Witcher 3 so I still have to play it too.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Witcher 3 for me, although this past decade has had many of my G.O.A.T. candidates. Hell of a lot of great games this gen imo.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

DOTA2

This game has sucked the life out of me and given me a competitive outlet that even though I'm trash at, I can find joy in by playing and doing shenanigans with friends. Besides that, I'm another Dark Souls stan. Going back to that game after giving up a couple of times felt very cathartic. Being that I streamed it and beat the final boss with lots of Duders watching me during GB Endurance Run elevated the experience. But overall, it made me approach games more carefully and really break down what was happening. I was also in awe of everything about the design.

mikachops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#118  Edited By mikachops

I'm basing this purely on the games that instantly pop into my head and give me warm positive feelings. So many to choose from obviously, but this is probably my top 5:

• Spelunky
  • Persona 4 Golden
  • Fantasy Life
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Thomas Was Alone

My no.1 if I'm being purely academic as it's an amalgamation of all the things I love about the above:

• Proteus

Platform of the decade:

• Playstation Vita

Shoutout to chess. Got really into that the last couple of years.

cool_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGSV. That game has a somewhat special place in my heart. 2015 was the year I got my first job and moved to my own place. I preordered MGSV and went out and bought a TV and PS4 the day before it was released. I hadn't owned a console since the PS2 and was truly blown away playing this game.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By NTM

It's The Last of Us. It's the only game of the decade, or perhaps ever, that I find very few faults with, and those issues are extremely negligible to me. It's mainly in how friendly A.I. may (albeit rarely) get in your way, or the human enemy A.I. lacks awareness of your flashlight and friendly A.I. It also takes away from the immersion when you go into places, and those very different locations have the same photo of a man and a woman. I have to make the point that I don't merely love it 'because it's a good movie'. The characters and story are great from what you see, and from what you don't see (like having to piece together and imagine what Joel was going through in the 20-year time gap). I also love the brutal combat and stealth gameplay.

I especially love the games locations and the story they tell and again, don't tell. It has a setting that makes me stop and take it all in, thinking about what had happened there. It adds to the somberness of the world as each location is what otherwise would have been a place for working; learning; playing, and living. It takes a lot of relatable locations and pretty much says 'this is what happens if humans neglect these places, and no longer live the lives you're used to'. I think that was the most affecting part of the game to me. It's about the ruination of humanity and what happens to us and everything around us when we're not there, working together to try to make things better.

The idea of it being the cordyceps fungal infection to put the world that way is also interesting to me as it's more plausible than the typical zombie outbreak story. I'm not saying it's realistic, but it's more believable than say, The Walking Dead perhaps. Even the way it came to be had me thinking and tells me that if I was in that world, I would have been gone day one because I love coffee and chocolate (Mmm, mocha).

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Mass Effect 2 without doubt.

Weird Runners-Up
- Dragon's Dogma: You either get this game, or you don't. If you get it you are passionate about how good it was. [I'm so sad we never got another Dragon's Dogma...its was SO GOOD!!!!]

- Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Trilogy games were the pinical of action adventure games, they did so much right over so many games with consistent quality.

- Yakuza: I'm glad I got into this series later, after Yakuza 0. I think the last few games and remakes are just stellar, but I will admit Mass Effect 2 was a tighter story.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Witcher 3, Mass Effect 2, God of War (The one with Beard/Axe)

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#123 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I don't have one, I have several depending on how you categorize.

For instance, the game that had the biggest impact on my life is Gone Home

Sheer number of hours played, and second favorite overall anyway, The Witcher 3

If we are talking straight up favorites, top 5 are:

1. CONTROL
  2. Witcher 3
  3. Night in the Woods
  4. Horizon Zero Dawn
  5. The Talos Principle
Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a ton of games to the point that making it a single game is a really hard task. But the longer I keep thinking about it I keep falling back to one game. The Witcher 3. And it’s actually not just by it’s own merits. Part of the reason I really enjoyed it was because it reminded me in some ways of other games I really loved. For one, the way Geralt has a group of allies and friends that was giving me real Mass Effect flashbacks. The lively open world that brought me back to GTA/RDR. The setting that reminded me of Skyrim (and general northern European mythology). And an engaging story that really sucked me into the world the way I was completely enraptured by Alan Wake. TW3 was a greatest hits of features in one package. So while I on some level feel like my heart loves Mass Effect as a trilogy and it holds a very special place in my heart. If I have to pick one specific game, I think TW3 just edges it out as a single title.

There have certainly been other stand outs over the years that have impacted me greatly as well in specific ways. The visual novel Katawa Shoujo that literally made me cry several times through several play throughs. Gone Home that redefined how I looked at games as a storytelling medium. And more, but my mind is slowly draining empty. 10 years is a long time to remember everything off the top of ones head. Weird still how many games from the early 10s pop up and how few from the mid-late do.

Either way, interesting thread to read.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Breath of the Wild.

No other game this past decade left me with the same sense of joy and wonder during the entire game. It’s a game that I still think about constantly, even though I’ve already gone through it. I plan to play through it again relatively soon as well.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it’s Mass Effect 2. Forza Horizon and Control are the only experiences even close (I never would have thought I’d play a game so close to a David Lynch film). Nothing else comes close to how much I’ve enjoyed these games, with Mass Effect 2, and 1, being the only games of any substantial length that I’ve replayed (now multiple times). I don’t know if I’ll ever enjoy any game as much as that one.

yourbrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've missed too many games to be able to give a "Best of the decade" or even "Defining the decade (game-wise)" But for me personally...top 4 are probably Stardew Valley, Horizon Zero Dawn, Yakuza 0, and To the Moon. In no particular order. I know they all have flaws, but they are the the games I fan-girled over with (irrational?) love for many reasons.

If I wanted to round it out to 5 I might add Civ 5 or Fire Emblem Awakenings or Life is Strange, but they didn't really have the same impact (namely loss of sleep) for me.

And if I had to pick 1... Yakuza 0. It started a burning need to play all the games (0, Kiwami 1-2, & 6 done, Judgment 50% done, just waiting on the physical copy of the 3-5 pack) and even play Sleeping Dogs. And I'm even considering the Shenmues though I'm 95% I would dislike them.

OHNOgc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I looked at each year of the decade, compiled my favorite games of each year, and crafted my own list based on those games...but then I decided I wasn't comfortable giving a single game a 'game of the decade' award. Something just doesn't sit well with me giving that kind of award to a single game, probably because there's so many different genres, different games I like and responded well to at different times in my life, and such.

So, it'd probably be a four-way tie between Zelda: BotW, FFXIV, Mario Odyssey and Galaxy 2, with many honorable mentions (MGS5, Saints Row the Third, Xenoblade Chronicles, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Quest XI, the Danganronpa series, Fire Emblem Three Houses, RE2 Remake, etc...).

game_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By game_lover
XackyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This decade had so many amazing games, but for me the three that really stand out are Dark Souls, Breath of the Wild, and Outer Wilds. Dark Souls is old enough that we’ve seen its influence permeate the industry and bring back the idea that popular games can be truly challenging. And I think the importance of the other two games will become very apparent in the next few years.

Avatar image for deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb
deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodborne

thomadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By thomadtom

For many years, I enjoyed playing good games on mobile phones, I used to play it at https://androidrub.com, those games were very appealing to me.