Game Tapes/Demo Derby

ryudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Any word if these shows are still considered active or are they dead? 2best things GB ever did IMO

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Not sure if there has been an official word, but if a show hasn't had a new episode is a long time, its safe to say its at least on hiatus, if not done. I feel you, I am still waiting for them to continue Jeff Gerstmann's Pro Skater.

I would love if they updated the shows section to group things as active and inactive. That way we can at least have an answer for these questions. If they are going to a tv network model, go all the way with it. Tell us when something is still in production, cancelled, renewed, etc.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless they get back in the office, they're probably not happening. That's where the tape machine and the demo discs live.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tartyron

Jeff doesn’t live in the SF Bay Area anymore. I think only Rorie and Jan do as far as front facing staff. As said before, without easy access to the tapes, it’s not likely. I suppose they could stream them out, but then there will be the same crosstalk problem that people complain about as things don’t sync up right. So yeah, think it’s dead.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

VongolaGearX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

better yet, when's jeff gerstmann's pro skater gonna return

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don’t think WFH means either of these things are necessarily dead. They just talked over a game tape (Cybermania) during the Bombathon, and Demo Derby could at least be one person playing and the others talking over it pretty easily. Granted the crosstalk issues will still be present, but Cybermania worked well enough imo.

As far as the will to do more of them goes, both were present on the survey from last fall as “what would you like to see brought back?” options. I spent 2 of my 3 total votes on them, so I also have a very high level of interest seeing both return.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By BisonHero
@eccentrix said:

There's a Programming Schedule and Show Notes page detailing all active shows. If it's not on there, it's safe to assume it's not coming back any time soon.

I don't speak for the staff, but yeah, if it's not on that page, then it's safe to say it's very inactive.

With some distance, I think it's fair to say that pretty much all pre-pandemic shows are on permanent hiatus, with exceptions if they're clearly active right now. There's Jan very loosely keeping PokeMonday Night Combat semi-alive, and Jeff morphing Jar Time into Garage Talk, and UPF returning in late 2020, and Voicemail Dumptruck being the sequel show to Giant Bombcast Aftermath. Those are the ones that made it.

Demo Derby, Game Tapes, Jeff Gerstmann's Pro Skater, Ranking of Fighters (maybe lag issues hurt this), could all come back, on paper. But I'd hazard a guess that if these were coming back, they would've by now.

For that matter, I'll consider it a minor miracle if another episode of Guilty Treasures or Borne to Run is released, at this point.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think, in their own minds, they were scraping the bottom of the barrel for Game Tapes aside from random demo discs. The orgianl game tapes were literally Betamax tapes they had from the Game Spot days. After that they sprinkled in a few PlayStation, Dreamcast and Xbox demo discs. When they did a demo disc it was mostly the ones that said they had e3 coverage.

Maybe, in eight or nine years, they can go back and talk over their 2015 to 2019 e3 coverage. That when nostalgia for such thing will be relivant to them. I loved all the episodes they had no matter how pedastrinan in constent, but I cna understand they were doing it for the 90s Kitsch.

More recent videos is just not interesting to them, they are in their late-30 and middle-40s; time goes quick for us "olds", so stuff from 2016 feels like yesterday - not Kitsch.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Pretty sure some of those older shows are gone for good. GB goes through eras and that show page is the current one we're living in.

Avatar image for physicalscience
physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think, in their own minds, they were scraping the bottom of the barrel for Game Tapes aside from random demo discs. The orgianl game tapes were literally Betamax tapes they had from the Game Spot days. After that they sprinkled in a few PlayStation, Dreamcast and Xbox demo discs. When they did a demo disc it was mostly the ones that said they had e3 coverage.

Maybe, in eight or nine years, they can go back and talk over their 2015 to 2019 e3 coverage. That when nostalgia for such thing will be relivant to them. I loved all the episodes they had no matter how pedastrinan in constent, but I cna understand they were doing it for the More recent videos is just not interesting to them, they are in their late-30 and middle-40s; time goes quick for us "olds", so stuff from 2016 feels like yesterday - not Kitsch.

90s Kitsch.

Demo Derby was well before Game Tapes. I can agree that there is only so much of that actually out there, but it was cool to get these snapshots in time, and also nice for archival purposes.