Posted by dudeglove (13736 posts) -

So periodically I check in on Gamebomb.ru (you might remember them as the folks who "borrowed" the old design of the site pre-CBSi, and then proceeded to "borrow" Steve "Fobwashed" Kim's t-shirt design that made fun of the whole thing in the first place) to see what sort of mania they're up to. Somehow they're still in business (there's a big fat World of Tanks banner ad on the front page on my end, so they must be getting decent traffic), and they have about 2000 videos on their YouTube channel (mostly trailers), .

What caught my eye this time was that under their "Games" page they have a list of upcoming releases.

http://gamebomb.ru/games?sort=release

You don't really need to know Russian to understand what's posted there, but the following few things stood out:

- Half Life 3 will be released in 2024.

- 2018 will see the release of GTA VI (their wiki entry cites anonymous sources), Star Wars 1313 (which will apparently use the third version of Unreal engine, and not UE 4), along with Stalker 2, and Beyond Good & Evil 2.

- 2017 will see Shadows of Mordor 2, Shenmue 3, Last of Us 2, and something called "The Surge" by Deck 13.

Weirdly enough, "The Surge" is actually a thing. Deck 13 are the lot who you might remember who did Lords of the Fallen. It supposedly got mentioned at Gamescom in the summer.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/6/9108177/the-surge-deck-13-gamescom

The Surge is set some 60 to 70 years in the future, when the technology that humanity has come to depend upon has turned against it. Süß showed a single piece of concept art (above) of the post-devastation world in which The Surge takes place, where enhanced humans and inhuman creatures live among the ruins of a technologically gifted society.

Players will assume control of a survivor in that world, an ordinary man who wears a powerful, industrial-grade exoskeleton. It's not express built with military combat in mind, but that's where the game's crafting system and modular upgrades will come in, Süß said. Those systems will tie into The Surge's combat, which will allow players to target specific limbs of tech-enhanced enemies, lop them off and harvest their technology.

So it's cyperpunk-dystopic dark souls? Could be neat

Anyway, much like other sites, Gamebomb's equivalent off topic forum post count eclipses everything else (more than double their general discussion). The current pinned thread - and fastest way to get your ass banned - is "Пойдет ли GTA V" ("Will GTA V run?"). Apparently, much like Rorie has mentioned on here frequently, a lot of folk come onto the Gamebomb board asking for basic tech advice and posting their hardware set up so much that you will be insta-banned if you don't use the pinned thread.

Erm... that's it. I've had enough Gamebomb for this quarter.

#1 Posted by Froghourt (179 posts) -

This feels like some sort of Second World War newsreel. "NEWS FROM THE FRONT, Ivan is still up to his old tricks over on Gamebomb".

#2 Edited by Jesus_Phish (3848 posts) -

The Surge sounds like The Technomancer (by the guys who made Bound by Flame) and both sound like great terrible cyberpunk games that I'll happily play regardless of the levels of jank.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
#3 Posted by AdequatelyPrepared (2522 posts) -

This feels like some sort of Second World War newsreel. "NEWS FROM THE FRONT, Ivan is still up to his old tricks over on Gamebomb".

Feels more like some a look into some weird alternative history where the communist bloc took over America.

#4 Edited by Mirado (2557 posts) -

From Gamespot, two Phantoms were born. Giant Bomb vs Gamebomb.

"V(inny) has come to."

But seriously, I love that they're still plugging away, and that your post reads like an undercover spy log. It gives the whole thing an air of mystery that it probably doesn't deserve.

#5 Posted by Aegon (7309 posts) -

It's still a wonder they weren't sued.

#6 Posted by BradBrains (2265 posts) -

@aegon said:

I bet it would be hard to sue a russian site and maybe not worth the effort

#7 Posted by HatKing (7450 posts) -

I went to their page and immediately, accidentally clicked on the fucking Tank game banner. A game I'm not actually convinced isn't just a World of Tanks rip off.

#8 Posted by AlexW00d (7571 posts) -

@aegon said:

They're a Russian site registered in Russia for Russian audiences, even if the guys wanted to sue them they couldn't.

#9 Posted by dudeglove (13736 posts) -

@alexw00d:

@aegon said:

I bet it would be hard to sue a russian site and maybe not worth the effort

My understanding is that it would be quite hard to do such a thing. Gamebomb.ru (according to whois.net) is hosted by RU-CENTER who I'm not familiar with, but I'm gonna assume is a Russian-based hosting company (given that there are server laws that if you have a .ru/.rf/etc domain registration, you must have servers within the territory). That likely means that if they wanna pursue legal action, Giant Bomb/CBSi would probably have to go through Roskomnadzor (Russian State Communications Agency) first in order to issue anything remotely resembling a DMCA takedown, who would then tell RU-CENTER to turn off Gamebomb.

I struggle to think of any instances where this has ever been successful. Given that VKontakte (the Facebook rip off social network that's used by millions) hosts a ludicrous amount of video and music content to almost no legal ramifications (there have been some gains though, wherein they are slowly forcing users towards a paid model to access the music end of things), not to mention the ridiculous number of torrent sites, I wouldn't get your hopes up about Gamebomb ever being taken down for impersonating a niche boutique site about video games.

GB has its own means of at least interfering, in that it can restrict specific IPs from calling the API if the scraping becomes too abusive, but Gamebomb is at least doing its own thing and not ripping off GB's content wholesale - merely the old site design.

#10 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

Give me that different settting Dark Souls. Lords of the Fallen 2 is also in development I believe.

#12 Posted by I_smell (4221 posts) -

This might be a dumb question, but why is one of the news stories on the front page a rape case?

#13 Posted by Kalor (94 posts) -

I like that the logo for GTAVI is the same as the one for IV but with the numbers flipped.

#14 Posted by dudeglove (13736 posts) -

@i_smell said:

This might be a dumb question, but why is one of the news stories on the front page a rape case?

It's not a dumb question; it's doing the rounds on the Russian internet (so-called "runet") lately. I haven't really looked into it, but my understanding is that a 17 year old from the Moscow Automobile and Road Construction University (МАДИ in Russian) was sexually assaulted at a party, but the local police/prosecutor's office says there's no such proof despite video/images to the contrary (and witness testimony is not really a "thing" here). I think it made local TV or into the freely-distributed "Metro" newspaper. Cue rape apologists/nay-sayers etc.

As to why it's on a Russian video games website? Eh... I mean, the same front page also has a link to an article about "Sexy cross-dressing Gandalf causing a storm on the internet"

#15 Posted by RonGalaxy (4936 posts) -
#16 Posted by monetarydread (2888 posts) -

I kinda prefer the layout of GB.ru

#17 Posted by thomasnash (1106 posts) -

@rongalaxy: If the pageview numbers are correct, I'd be amazed if that in any way reflected on its popularity - it's just designed to generate clicks for the ad revenue (if only there were a word for this...). To accept these numbers as an accurate reflection of its popularity is to assume that it's popular with 76 thousand total idiots, who fall for their obviously false stories about Half Life 3 and GTA VI.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see a website of such patent nonsense actually being popular.

#18 Posted by ch3burashka (6086 posts) -

I've thought about trying it out and writing a grand expose, but that seems like a waste. From the few seconds I heard of a video I wasn't too impressed.

#19 Edited by dudeglove (13736 posts) -

@rongalaxy: Having worked in "tech" a while, I can tell you that I've never seen apps or sites use Alexa as some sort of metric to judge themselves by. Actual proper market research companies like TNS are the ones used in Russia & CIS.

#20 Posted by gamer_152 (14746 posts) -

It's like that thing fell out of a parallel universe. I wonder if Russian gamers think that thing is as insane as it looks from our perspective.

#21 Posted by EthanielRain (1564 posts) -

The Surge sounds like The Technomancer (by the guys who made Bound by Flame) and both sound like great terrible cyberpunk games that I'll happily play regardless of the levels of jank.

Random thing, but glad you posted this. I completely forgot about Spiders (Bound By Flame dev), but I think that was a diamond-in-the-rough and am now hyped for Technomancer :D

#22 Edited by sudo_melon (90 posts) -

Wait, I thought gamebomb.ru was a joke site born from the bombcast. This is actually a serious thing?

#23 Posted by dudeglove (13736 posts) -

Wait, I thought gamebomb.ru was a joke site born from the bombcast. This is actually a serious thing?

You didn't know? They scooped everyone on the Brink review.

Loading Video...

#24 Posted by Evilsbane (5618 posts) -

It mother Giantbomb.ru games review YOU!

#25 Posted by sudo_melon (90 posts) -

@sudo_melon said:

You didn't know? They scooped everyone on the Brink review.

Loading Video...

That's amazing, thanks for sharing!

#26 Posted by whitegreyblack (1953 posts) -

@ethanielrain said:

@jesus_phish said:

Random thing, but glad you posted this. I completely forgot about Spiders (Bound By Flame dev), but I think that was a diamond-in-the-rough and am now hyped for Technomancer :D

Glad to see a couple of other duders excited for Technomancer. It appears to be a pseudo-sequel to Mars War Logs, which was surprisingly decent despite all the wonderful, woeful jankiness.

#27 Posted by Takoyaki (314 posts) -

@hatking: You'd think it'd be just a rip-off, but it's a fair bit different. WT started as an airplanes-only game that then added tanks, has actual physics going (tank drifting for days), no fog of war, much tighter shot spread that isn't expanded by movement (instead, you have to deal with bumpy roads making your barrel go all over), doesn't require you to grind for individual tank parts (barrels, turrets, engines and so on), gives you three lives per match and doesn't lock your tanks away until the match you used them in finishes. It's a decent game, one of few F2P games that I've put a decent amount of time into (50-60 hours I think). Would probably have kept playing if my computer wasn't so underpowered or if they let me play my PC account on PS4.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
#28 Posted by SubliminalKitteh (454 posts) -

Wait until some country like India takes Game Bomp for a spin.

#29 Posted by Nardak (947 posts) -

Clearly gamebomb.ru is the superior website. They get all the info years in advance.

Only 9 years until Half-Life 3 comes out. Think i will pre-order the game so i can get the exclusive "sucker" mission.

#30 Posted by Rotnac (1264 posts) -

Nothing on Frog Fractions 2??? Laaaaaame.

#31 Posted by FlashFlood_29 (4415 posts) -

@nardak said:

Clearly gamebomb.ru is the superior website. They get all the info years in advance.

Soviet Technology.

#32 Edited by PsychoPenguin (232 posts) -

It looks like they're selling random game keys? http://gamebomb.ru/keys/ From what google translate says it seems like you give them a small amount of money and you'll get a random steam key. Seems legit.

Here's their post about the new key "store:" http://gamebomb.ru/gbnews/13465

Translated quote:

Our new mini-shop works on the principle of pay less, earn more. For example, acquiring a key for 30 rubles you with a 100% guarantee of getting the game, several times more expensive. Some users have more luck - in 50% of cases fall game cost 250 rubles. In any case, you can count on a game that is worth more than $ 100. And it's just 30 rubles, which you invest.

The choice you are also provided the opportunity for 50 rubles to buy the game cost from 100 to 800 rubles.And for $ 100 to buy the game cost from 200 to 2000 rubles! Honestly, we can not offer to acquire all blockbusters like GTA V at such prices. In any case, your investment will be several times less than the cost of the game on the network Steam.

If you decide to purchase a key for 299 rubles, you are guaranteed to get a top-end game at a price much lower than the price on Steam and in this category you will never fall out of indie games.

At the same time all the keys to the game are purchased from authorized vendors and are 100% legal.

It is worth noting that even if you got is not very well-known game, it absolutely does not mean that your investment go to waste. In the Steam network in many games there are collectible cards. Having earned their cards can be exchanged for a variety of bonuses to the network or even sell at a cost that could exceed the cost of the game itself!

BTW: At the current rate 30 rubles is about 50 cents US.

#33 Posted by dudeglove (13736 posts) -

@psychopenguin: Because of schemes like this, Steam region restricts purchases made in Russia & CIS, as prices are still 50-75% of their US/UK counterparts despite the rouble tanking at the end of 2014 (it's about 62 roubles to the dollar, 98 to the pound, and 70 something to the euro). Be very careful when purchasing keys off dodgy third parties, as you will likely get burned as the game simply won't launch.

The region locking thing sort of sucks, as I can't gift my friends stuff, though there's no difference in catalogs (with the exception of some of the stuff on offer during sales). 2K fucked up the Borderlands 2 release, though, when they arbitrarily geo-restricted RU users (with next to no warning) to a Cold War playpen. This led to a backlash on reddit and resulted in people like me getting two versions of their game.

No Caption Provided

#34 Posted by Corvak (1968 posts) -

Post-soviet Russia has always been a place where money can do anything if you know which palms to grease, sometimes they are government, sometimes they are organized crime. Which I guess, is semi-true in NA given how political fundraising works but in Russia its waaaaay more obvious. Even if they did get sued, I think regulators could just be paid off, especially where its an american company pressing the suit.

For CBSi, it doesnt really 'matter' in terms of finances because GB isn't putting out content in russian, so it's not really competing directly. It was more glaring when that was the current site design, too. I think most english speaking russians will go to US/EU sites (I think Eurogamer's probably the biggest, because it at least covers their release dates for things). CBSi has to actively protect its trademarks, but all they'd have to do is send a C&D, still counts as protecting it even if gamebomb does nothing.

As for clicks, faking traffic with bots isn't super hard. Some hacker could just use a botnet to go to the page and generate ad revenue. (Probably more profitable than the usual DDoS stuff botnets do)