Gamefly is yes or no???

DragonNinja789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By DragonNinja789

So I'm really considering signing up for gamefly, it seems like a good idea because of the situation I'm in. I mean I'm a broke college student and can't really afford 60 dollars a month to get the games I want on launch day, so it seems perfect. It's only 15 dollars a month, which I can actually manage, and it will allow me to catch up with the rest. 
 ...and I know that I will still be buying games, at least the one's that I want bad enough(I'm really picky when it comes to certain titles) those I would I save up for.  LOL. 

Then again that's 15 bucks that I could have in my pocket for the use of whatever... 

and yet ironically I cant seem to make a decision. I would appreciate the input if you would kindly.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Arnt they offering a free month or something? 

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By gla55jAw

I think it's a good idea if you think you will buy less games because of it. There are a lot of games I used to buy used and either not like or beat in a weekend. Instead of doing that I rent them.

nickhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nickhimself

I used it for a couple months before ditching my console. The service was pretty good. If you aren't trying to get a new release you probably won't have any problems getting the game when you want it. I'm not sure if they've upped their catalog to have more games in their inventory. If so, new releases might be easier to get. 

Either way, I liked the service a lot.

DragonNinja789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DragonNinja789
@The_Laughing_Man:
yes, its a 10 day free trial.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's alright. If you want it purely to get new games and play them cheaper than going out and buying or renting them, save yourself the hassle.  You can almost never get a new game within the first few months of its release.  That's my experience anyways.  The turn around time for me is 4 - 5 days.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

I've had Gamefly for two years now. I have the Two-Game Subscription.  It saves money and I don't have to live with the regret f buying a shitty game.

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JoeyIA

Do the free trial.  Whether its worth it to your or not really depends on how far away you live from a distribution center.  I live in the midwest & get stuff from either Texas or PA and it usually takes 4+ days... so yeah.  Sometimes I only get like 3 games a month form the 2-at-a-time plane which really sucks.  I've known people in CA who get them within 2 business days but I think Cali has like 2 or 3 distribution centers.
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@DragonNinja789 said:
" @The_Laughing_Man: yes, its a 10 day free trial. "
I thought it was a month...hmmmm
EntombedStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EntombedStorm

It depends I have 2 game subscription currently but I don't use it that much anymore, most new games you can't get for a long time unless u plan it out, but if your looking for old games then u should get it.

DragonNinja789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DragonNinja789
@Axxol:
like I buy shitty games anyway? But I see your point lol.
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Bigandtasty
@DragonNinja789: If you haven't used the normal 10-day free trial yet, here's a better deal -- 15 days and free incentives with Goozex, a game trading site. Just sign up with Goozex first and use the same email for Goozex and your GameFly trial.
nickhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nickhimself
@DragonNinja789: The games you buy at 60 dollars per game. The games he rents cost 15 dollars per month and he can get rid of them for something new when he's finished with it.
DragonNinja789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DragonNinja789
@gla55jAw:
it's not that I would be buying less games, its just that are only specific ones that I would buy. Some I want to play, I just wouldnt pay 60 bucks for em lol.
DragonNinja789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DragonNinja789

Well thank guys I really appreciate everything you all said and I will deffinitly take it into consideration. : )
empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By empfeix

If you plan on renting more than a couple games a month sure go for it.  Otherwise just rent them the old fashioned way.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DoctorWelch

I've had Gamefly for about 4 or 5 months now and I can say its definitely worth it. Like you I still bought games I really want like MW2 and ME2, but its great for all the games that you wanna play through once (or twice) and never play again. There is a little bit of a strategy though to how you get games. You basically have to decide whether you want gamefly for either 1. Games you wanna catch up on that came out a long time ago (aka achievement point games or just older decent games you having played) or 2. brand new games. When going for old games you basically can put all of them on your que and have as many games as you want on your que and you'll always have a game to play because most of the old ones are available right away. If you wanna go for new games however there is some planning to it. Obviously everyone wants the new games, but not everyone is going to get them. So you have to put the game you want up near the top of your que a month or so before the game comes out. Then once that game is about to come out, you have to make sure that you dont have another game at home so they can send it to you. Also, you have to make sure there arent any random crappy available now games on your list (even really far down you list) because if they are available now, gamefly will send them to you instead of the new game you actually want. Also the longer you dont have a game at home, the higher chance you have of getting a game. So you might wanna send back what ever game you have at home a week or so before the game you want comes out. I hope all that makes sense lol :)

Overall I think Gamefly is deffinately worth it. I have a two game plan and so far this year I have gotten Bayonetta a week after it came out, Darksiders three weeks after it came out, Bioshock 2 two weeks after it came out and, Bad Company 2 the day it came out, and I was going to get Final Fantasy a week after it came out but I decided to send it back because I want to play it on PS3 now instead. There is a bit of strategy to getting the games and you have to be patient but it will definitely save you money in the end, especially if you go ahead and get the year long subscription right off the bat

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By sopranosfan

I tried it on 2 separate occasions and dropped it both times because of the wait on a game that was released in the last 4 months was ridiculous.  It seems like they would come up with some sort of way of making sure that everybody gets a few new releases every once in a while.

DragonNinja789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DragonNinja789
@DoctorWelch said:
"I've had Gamefly for about 4 or 5 months now and I can say its definitely worth it. Like you I still bought games I really want like MW2 and ME2, but its great for all the games that you wanna play through once (or twice) and never play again. There is a little bit of a strategy though to how you get games. You basically have to decide whether you want gamefly for either 1. Games you wanna catch up on that came out a long time ago (aka achievement point games or just older decent games you having played) or 2. brand new games. When going for old games you basically can put all of them on your que and have as many games as you want on your que and you'll always have a game to play because most of the old ones are available right away. If you wanna go for new games however there is some planning to it. Obviously everyone wants the new games, but not everyone is going to get them. So you have to put the game you want up near the top of your que a month or so before the game comes out. Then once that game is about to come out, you have to make sure that you dont have another game at home so they can send it to you. Also, you have to make sure there arent any random crappy available now games on your list (even really far down you list) because if they are available now, gamefly will send them to you instead of the new game you actually want. Also the longer you dont have a game at home, the higher chance you have of getting a game. So you might wanna send back what ever game you have at home a week or so before the game you want comes out. I hope all that makes sense lol :) Overall I think Gamefly is deffinately worth it. I have a two game plan and so far this year I have gotten Bayonetta a week after it came out, Darksiders three weeks after it came out, Bioshock 2 two weeks after it came out and, Bad Company 2 the day it came out, and I was going to get Final Fantasy a week after it came out but I decided to send it back because I want to play it on PS3 now instead. There is a bit of strategy to getting the games and you have to be patient but it will definitely save you money in the end, especially if you go ahead and get the year long subscription right off the bat "

I appreciate everyones opinions...But thank you DoctorWelch. : )
tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By tactis

yeah I had it last summer its pretty good, the turn around time is awful though, I lived in Dallas, and there is an Austin shipping center and it still took 2 days, a couple of times it took 3 days. I decided not to do it anymore because around fall games start coming out that I actually wanna buy and keep.  So if you can deal with not having the latest games, and waiting sometimes for turn around times then its worth it.

Lamashtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lamashtu

Being predominantly a PC gamer, I don't know what to think of it and I guess from the features, it sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

My friends however say it's a godsend for achievement and trophy whores (explains why their gamerscores are like 85000).

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SoothsayerGB
@xobballox said:
" it's alright. If you want it purely to get new games and play them cheaper than going out and buying or renting them, save yourself the hassle.  You can almost never get a new game within the first few months of its release.  That's my experience anyways.  The turn around time for me is 4 - 5 days. "
This.  

From what I've read, turn around time is based on your mailing location.  The closer you are to their very few distribution centers the faster.  I live in NC and my time is around a week.   Slightly less for old games.  Got Crack Down in like 4 days. 

You can't get new games.  Have to wait a month or two.  Not sure.  Depends on popularity.  That said, I received Bioshock 2 last week.  

I recommend you try it out.  There are a ton of games to play.  But you just have to wait a bit for the new titles.  The basic rule of thumb is, if Availability is Low, then that means No.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By penguindust

I have had it for about 2 years now and I like it but there are a few things you need to know.  First, don't expect to get the top tier games the week (or even month) they come out unless you are very lucky.  Sometimes, if you time your return to arrive at their distribution center the same day a game you want is released, you'll get it but I know that I have never received a new game without having to wait a couple of months.  That's okay with me since if I really want a game, and need to play it ASAP, I'll go buy it.  Secondly, depending on where you live can determine how long it takes for you to receive games once they are shipped.  I live relatively close but still these things can take 3-5 days from the time you mail out your return.  Don't compare their service to Netflix (if you have that) because you will be really miffed by the difference in promptness.  Finally, if you have a problem with the service, notify them immediately.  I have never received a broken/scratched game but I know that some folks have.  However, I have had games get lost in the mail twice and went without for two weeks because of this.  I finally went through their customer service and received two copies of the game I had ordered two days after I complained.  I don't know what happened but I returned one and played the other until I was done.  Sometimes, they can be really good about being prompt, however most of the time there is a few days lag. 

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#24  Edited By sarahsdad

I had it a couple years ago, dropped it, then picked it up again a couple of months ago. 
I'm repeating what some others have already said, but where you live can make a difference in the turn around time, and it is absolutely not the 2 day average turnaround that netflix has. 
As Penguin said, and I think Doctor as well, I will still buy a few games during the year, especially ones that I think will take me a long time, or that I think I might want to come back to a lot. 
I don't know how much time you have to game during the day or week, but I've found that even having around an hour a day during the week (and maybe a couple hours a day on weekends), I really appreciate the 2 game plan, so there's less chance of spending 4 or 5 days at a time without a game. It's also cool because I've tried games that I wouldn't have if I just had the 1 at a time.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

I swear by Gamefly. They may not break any speed records getting the games at the top of your queue to you but I've gotten to play games that I wouldn't have paid full price for that I really enjoyed as a rental. I'd recommend it.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By MKHavoc

Get it if you live near one of the four distribution centers (Pennsylvania, Florida, California, Texas) and don't mind waiting a couple of weeks for the latest games. 

EDIT:  If you'll be relying on Gamefly for all your games, I'd recommend doing what I do and opt for the two game plan instead, but only play one game at a time.  That you have something to play while you're waiting for the next game to get to you in the mail.  I think the two game plan costs about $6 more.

forestofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By forestofdeath

My subscription to Gamefly has lasted about a year now, and I cannot imagine what it'd be like without the service. I've managed to experience games I'd simply gloss over at the store due to being broke. What I've managed to save is simply astounding. ($15.99/month is hardly unreasonable, considering how much you can really play) One suggestion, though: if you're planning on filling your que with the latest games, don't expect to receive them immediately after their release. Give two or so weeks of down time to catch up on previous titles, then go ahead with the new stuff. But honestly, there is almost too much to catch up on for that to truly matter.  

Enjoy it! :)

Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Iceman2913

its worth it

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By spankingaddict

i think its pretty great, its a way better deal then going to blockbuster or somethin and renting a game...and after having gamefly for about 6 months, the new releases are only about 50 bucks to keep it...

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

From my experience, I wouldn't recommend it. I had it for a couple of months a little over a year ago.  Their turn around time is unacceptably slow. I would send a game back and check the status 4 or 5 days later and they still hadn't received it. The worst was when it literally took two fucking weeks between the time I sent out a game and got another one. The worst part was that the game I was returning was a piece of shit (Fracture, I think it was). I put it back in the mail the same day I got it. The rest of my rentals weren't as bad, but still very, very slow. They would also send me stuff half-way down my queue when some of the games I had near the top weren't new and were available at the time. When I tried to cancel it for the reasons above, they offered me the next month at a discounted price of 7 or $8, which I apprehensively took with wanting to give them another chance, but as expected, they were still slow as shit and I think I only ended up with 1 or 2 games that month, neither of which I had that long.

So basically, my opinion of Gamefly is that it is a fucking awful service and a complete waste of time and money. However, if you have no alternative (like and actual rental store), then go for it. Hopefully you'll have a better experience with it than I did.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By regularassmilk

Yes. 

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#32  Edited By gla55jAw
@DragonNinja789 said:
" @gla55jAw: it's not that I would be buying less games, its just that are only specific ones that I would buy. Some I want to play, I just wouldnt pay 60 bucks for em lol. "
Yeah I know what you mean. It's a pretty good service other than new releases, which you either have to wait a while for it to become available, or time your send back just right. I also have been buying a bunch of games off it too. $45 for a new game is pretty good. You can "keep" just about any game you have out.
tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By tranquilchaos

My two other roommates and I share the 3 disc plan. It's awesome.

raikoh05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By raikoh05

if you find a good long free trial offer, give it a shot. but popular new games are sometimes hard to get when you want them.