Avatar image for stapler_hernandez
Stapler_Hernandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Stapler_Hernandez

I've been using Netflix for 2 or 3 years now. It's a pristine service: 1 day returns, and 1 day shipping consistently. No matter how massive the demand is or what format I order, DVD or Blu-Ray, it has never faltered in 800+days of continual use.

Gamefly is useless. Twice now my game has gotten lost in the mail, and delivery is 4-6 days if I'm fortunate, and I'm maybe 150 miles away from their nearest shipping location. Why does this site exist? Their amount of copies for releases of all sizes is so limited chances are higher you won't get your preferred game than not. I am not satisfied in any facet of the word, and I plan to cancel my membership soon. If you're considering the service, don't. Pay the extra $10 at your local Blockbuster, it's seriously worth the extra fee.

brew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By brew

It is well worth it , even with its problems.

Txheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Txheat

Thanks man i was going to look into that, are there any other good game renting sites does blockbuster or Netflix support games?

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By tec3297

I have to agree, I was a member of Gamefly about a year ago when there were only two shipping centers, and I canceled my service because it was taking them 3 days or more to send me a game.  Then in February I joined again because they had finally gotten two more shipping centers and one that was releatively close to me.  So I order the service again and it was still taking them three days at the least!  I canceled again and I won't join again until they get a shipping center at most 75 miles away from me.

Stapler_Hernandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Stapler_Hernandez
Txheat said:
"Thanks man i was going to look into that, are there any other good game renting sites does blockbuster or Netflix support games?
"
There's gamesnflix, but that's even worse. But, if you're really interested, try one of their free trials and see if you like the service.
Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Blubba

They take forever but I have no other means of renting games so I deal with it. I'm usually not in a rush to receive the games I get either.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By twenty0ne

No, they need a serious price drop.

Stapler_Hernandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Stapler_Hernandez
twenty0ne said:
"No, they need a serious price drop.
"
Their fees are relatively low.
somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By somesthetic

games are far more expensive to buy in bulk than films.

if you have a lot of games you want to play and don't care which one you get first, it's not too bad.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DarkLegend

The opposite happened to me.

Davin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Davin

It seems like the only way to get a popular game from GF in a reasonable amount of time is to nuke your entire queue of games except for that one that you really want  to get in. Otherwise they'll ship you anything else possible.

outlaw4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By outlaw4020

I like gamefly just because it has no late fee.   during the school year i can end up having a game for a couple weeks wit out playing it.

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scorched

I've been a lucky one
I've had no problems except for getting games that are fairly low down on my Q which is annoying sometimes.

BeefJerkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BeefJerkins

They canceled my account back in 2005 because 7 games I sent back got lost in the main (I think someone at the post office was stealing them).
Now that I have a different credit card and new address, I've started up a new subscription.  Hopefully the mail carriers are more trustworthy around here.

mandalore777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mandalore777

I like it it make take like 4 days to get to where I live but at least I don't have to buy games when I wanna play them and it's not too expensive

dantebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By dantebk

I like Gamefly.  I used to have Gameznflix and, though it's a lot cheaper, the service was terrible.  At least Gamefly seems like a legitimate professional company.  This week is a bad example because they received my game on Thursday and didn't send anything else out yet, but USUALLY if I put a game in the mail Monday morning I get a new game Wednesday afternoon.  Of course, I live in L.A. which is also their corporate HQ.... but still, I think it's worth the money.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Scullinator

I have had service with gamefly for a few years now.  Getting the %10 discount and like $5 a month toward game purchases.  I purchase just about all my games from gamefly for that reason.  I used to be able to have a game in the top of my Q and when it came out I would get a fresh unplayed copy.  Now it seams that no matter how long I have had it at the top of my Q I am no longer the first to receive games it seams.  I would assume that newer customers are getting the games first.  It makes since I guess from the standpoint of a business that you want to keep newer customers happy but I feel like I'm getting the shaft as a loyal customer.  I already went to cancel my account and they offered me a month at only $10 so I kept it for now.  Now ODST is out and at the top of my Q and guess what ...... No copy was sent to me.  BULLSHIT!!!  Netflix works awesome with quick turn around times.  Maybe I have been spoiled with the outstanding service of netflix. 
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Wolverine
@Stapler_Hernandez said:
" I've been using Netflix for 2 or 3 years now. It's a pristine service: 1 day returns, and 1 day shipping consistently. No matter how massive the demand is or what format I order, DVD or Blu-Ray, it has never faltered in 800+days of continual use.

Gamefly is useless. Twice now my game has gotten lost in the mail, and delivery is 4-6 days if I'm fortunate, and I'm maybe 150 miles away from their nearest shipping location. Why does this site exist? Their amount of copies for releases of all sizes is so limited chances are higher you won't get your preferred game than not. I am not satisfied in any facet of the word, and I plan to cancel my membership soon. If you're considering the service, don't. Pay the extra $10 at your local Blockbuster, it's seriously worth the extra fee. "
I completely agree. I live probably about 40 miles away from Manhattan and the nearest shipping facility is some where in Pittsburgh. It's ridiculous.
Ashuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ashuku

I had the same problems when I had gamefly. 

The only way I could get a new release is if I took everything off my queue and put the new release on BEFORE the game came out. 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#20  Edited By LordAndrew

Holy crap! Bumping a thread from the third day the site was live? Most of these people are long gone!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By penguindust

Maybe in the year since these original complaints were posted Gamefly has fixed some of its problems.  All I know is that I've had the service for over a year and am very satisfied with it.  It could be a little cheaper, but all in all I've had nearly no troubles. 

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Emilio

Here comes logic: 

You guys have to understand that Gamefly is a TINY group. Compared to Netflix who ships out zillions of discs, and Blockbuster who is just starting to ship out games, they have TONS of competition. 

It also doesn't help that there have been cases where postal office workers have stolen Gamefly shipments.  That, and USPS doesn't have the same care with Gamefly discs as they do with with Netflix. 

Plus they only have FOUR distribution centers compared to Netflix who have around 40 or so. 

Oh, and I don't have Gamefly. It seems a bit too expensive at the moment.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Afroman269
@Stapler_Hernandez said:
" twenty0ne said:
"No, they need a serious price drop.
"
Their fees are relatively low. "
When you compare them to netflix they could at least drop to $10 for the service they give.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MetalGearSunny

This is why Netflix should support games.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By septim

I was pretty unimpressed with Gamefly as well. It's basically at least a week of lag time between shipping and receiving games which is unacceptable for a service that costs that much. I never had problems getting games I wanted but I still canceled it after a couple months as I felt like half the month was spent waiting for games instead of playing them.

They've been around quite a while now and they haven't seem to improved much. I just hope Netflix starts offering games and puts Gamefly out of its misery.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By RichardLOlson

I've heard nothing but bad things about gamefly.  I wouldn't recomend it to anyone.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Scullinator

I bumbed this thread.  Didnt want to create another "gamefly sucks" thread if there already was one.  And NO to answer the question about them being around for a while and fixing any issues.  If anything Im complaining because its gotten worse for existing customers.  I can have a game at the top with nothing else on my Q and still wont get sent a game.  Its been a week and I have been sent No games.  I had Batman, Marvel Ult. 2, Need for Speed Shift and also ODST.  the other day before ODST came out I removed all other titles to be sure they sent me ODST.  Nothing.
ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By ShadowSkill11
@Stapler_Hernandez: The free market always wins. If you and most people would stop using gamefly or gamestop in favor of a more popular company then they would go under. You don't so they stay in business. Is someone stoping you from not using Gamefly? Logic 101.
Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By ApertureSilence

I have yet to have any issues with Gamefly (knock on wood). I have found it to be a fast, reliable and cost-efficient service.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Andorski

My Gamefly experience for the past two years has also been remarkable.  I usually get my games 2 business days after they have been shipped.  My games are mailed to me in the order I have them on my Game-Q (although I usually make sure that only one game on my list is available, to ensure that I get what I want).  I get newly released games 1-2 days after it's release date.  I had a game get lost in the mail once, but after I emailed my complaint, I received a new copy two days later.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By apathylad

I would receive a new game every other day if it was available, I believe. Still a game was lost in the mail once and even though I did not have to pay for it, I remained cautious of the service. I think a lot of mail boxes get swiped in my area, so it would probably be better for me to just turn it in directly into the post office if I ever decide to get another account.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By penguindust
@Emilio said:
" It also doesn't help that there have been cases where postal office workers have stolen Gamefly shipments. "
Did you hear about the US postal worker in Massachusetts who admitted to stealing over 3000?!?! Netflix movies. Source All I am saying is that when a company ships games or movies through the mail, there will be dishonest people who steal them...in abundance.
Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Chokobo
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" This is why Netflix should support games. "
GameFly is owned by NetFlix.  They are essentially the same company.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jkz

Funny, I've loved it so far. Sure, it can take 2-3 days to send out the game, but considering the # of hours I get out of a game compared to a movie, I haven't minded the shipping time. The only thing that I wouldn't mind is if they greatly improved their stocking, so the games are much more readily available.

Big_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Big_D

I use Game Access. it's out of Quebec. i have 2 games out at a time and usually takes 8 days between me sending out a game and getting a new one. doesn't bother me at all, i get to play a hell of a lot more games that i would normally of passed on or bought and regretted.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By evanbrau

Top class thread necromancy here. I wish we had a service like Gamefaly to complain about where I'm from :(

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Andorski

I'm pretty sure that Netflix does NOT own Gamefly, as I can't find any sources that say otherwise.

I remember hearing that Netflix was considering to do games, but backed out because it is almost unprofitable.  Unlike movies, where retailers can ship back any unused DVDs/Blu Rays back to the movie studios for a refund, games must be complete bought by Gamefly.  This would probably create storage issues, as some games have huge demand when it comes out, but then are never rented again a few months later.  That is why they really push features like "Keep It."  Then there is the whole issue that games cost way more than movies.  Losing an old DVD through the mail isn't a big deal, but losing $60 video games can add up quickly.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#38  Edited By Vinchenzo

Yea, GameFly sucks. I tried it out for a month and it was trash. Just rent used games from GameStop and return them within 7 days, ta-da! Free rentals!