Games in 2017 that you're looking forward to, but are flying under the radar.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

We're already on the fifth day of 2017 and were already looking forward to what could be another really good year in video games. However, I'm wondering if there are any particular games that are coming out this year that you're excited for playing but isn't getting much attention from the media or from video game communities?

Here's just a few I have in mind:

• Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove: People seem to have forgotten about this game when it was announced and after the KS goal was reached. Sure the art style isn't flattering, but it does harken back to the original game's gameplay which for someone who never played the first game, is exciting. Looking forward to the inevitable Jeff/Drew QL to this too.
  • Freedom Planet 2: I'm cautiously excited for this only because I just bought the first game not that long ago and I need to play it. Hearing that the first game is a solid blend of 2D Sonic and classic Treasure games, I'm willing to give the first game a try and then see if I want the sequel.
  • For Honor: I say this because it seems like its not getting as much attention as other early 2017 AAA games are receiving (Namely Horizon: ZD and RE 7). I understand that this is a Ubisoft game and Ubisoft has a history of releasing games that tend to be very buggy. However, I'm hoping this game is better baked then some of Ubisoft's titles in the past and just the idea of having Vikings and Samurai randomly fighting each other is up my alley.
Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think Gravity Rush 2 isn't getting much coverage and it's releasing on the 20th. Can't wait for the 20th.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I'm very excited for Forza Motorsport 7, although it hasn't officially been announced yet. Hoping for some good PC compatibility or wonders on the Scorpio. Also, Ace Combat 7.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Katana Zero

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Below? Will it finally come out?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I didn't play Dragon Quest VIII way back when it was released on the PS2. Now, it's getting re-released on the 3DS on January 20 and I'm looking forward to playing that.

Otherwise... I honestly don't really know what's coming out this year. Horizon: Zero Dawn is and I only know that because it feels like everyone is talking about and I, for some reason, couldn't care less, even though it sounds awesome on paper. Persona 5 comes out this year. Breath of the Wild comes out this year. For pretty much everything else, I'll probably just pay attention to whatever's going on around me and see what comes out when it comes out.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Torment: Tides of Numenera finally comes out next month, and I am very interested in seeing how it stacks up to the best "choose-your-own-adventure novel masquerading as a D&D game" ever made.

doomguy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Outlast 2, loved the first one and looking forward to the mixed up environments

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Probably not under the radar but is that Fulbright game coming out this year? Gone Home is still my favorite of those. What are we calling them now?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I thought the South Park game was really clever if a bit simple, I loved the magic attacks in particular. I'm hoping they capture lightning in a bottle again this March (or whenever). I haven't watched South Park regularly in years either so it'd be nice to spend a few hours with those characters, that was part of what i enjoyed about the last game as well.

I'm also really excited to fight like hell to get Ken Griffey Jr. on my Diamond Dynasty team and try out the Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball mode in MLB The Show 17 but I understand why that game isn't getting discussed outside OperationSports and dorm rooms.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ares42

Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!!

First game was great and got saved pretty much by the QL on this site. I doubt the second one is gonna get much more attention, but it looks fantastic so far (and it's coming to console).

Also interested in seeing if Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr (phew!) is gonna beat expectations and somehow turn out to be a good Warhammer diablo clone.

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope For Honor is good. And I hope the multiplayer community stays small and dedicated. Basically I want Rainbow 6: Siege but with swords. I've actually talked to random people playing Siege and they didn't call me a bundle of sticks or insult my mother. They're like actual decent people that play video games on the internet. Weird I know.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Endless space 2, already have the Early access version but i'm excited to try the full game when it's ready.

For honor, got into the technical alpha and definitely want to see how this turns out.

Persona 5 because obviously nobody is talking about this game, especially on this site. :-)

Grim Dawn expansion, because more grim dawn and 2 new classes!

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By BoOzak

Yakuza Zero.

I know more people are aware of this series these days but it's still a niche thing I dont expect to sell very well.

Although maybe this will do better since it's a prequel that will be easier to market.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By BabyChooChoo
  • Gravity Rush 2 - First game got a pretty mixed reaction and Sony US really hasn't done much to pimp this game out. I guess it's understandable though. Regardless of how good it is, it'll probably remain a niche title for a wide variety of reasons.
  • Nioh - I feel like a lot of people are just tired and/or extremely skeptical of Dark Souls-esque games. Hell, I might go one step further and say people are slowly getting weary of Dark Souls in general. On top of that, Team Ninja has lost a lot of respect these past few years it seems. Ninja Gaiden 3 wasn't great. DOA5 is as niche as niche can get despite being a very good fighter. DOAX3 is a joke of a game. etc etc So when they, of all people, say they're taking a crack at Dark Souls, it's not hard to see why this isn't drumming up a ton of attention.
  • Halo Wars 2 - I get the feeling that lately, most of Microsoft's stuff just sorta flies under the radar then everyone is like "oh shit, it came out?" Plus the first game, despite being attached to the Halo brand, was at best a cult classic.
  • Etrian Odyssey V - Not 100% it's even coming to the West, but either way, it's yet another game that appeals to a super niche audience. Not even sure why tbh. It's always been a solid series from what I can tell. It's also got a pretty low barrier to entry. I guess the art is a turn off for a lot of people? And I supposed being DS/3DS exclusive it's entire life hasn't helped much.
Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Battletech. I have a feeling that not a lot of people will buy that game when it comes out this year.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Digimon World Next Order. If it is as good as Cyber Sleuth it's gonna be a sleeper hit for me.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Hellblade, I've enjoyed everything I've played by Ninja Theory so far.

Vampyr, same with Dontnod, Remember me and Life is Strange where both great.

Put me down for Gravity Rush 2 also, I'm a bit worried about the controls though, a lot of the first games charm to me was the vita control scheme which won't work on PS4.

Supposedly there is a new Star Control game coming out this year, I'm a little worried with Stardock at the helm, but I'm hopeful.

D-Man123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm gonna have to go with For Honor. If Ubisoft can keep up with it post release and it not come out a buggy mess, then we are looking at possibly my multiplayer game of the year. Especially with the fact that there is 1v1 mode, I can see myself plugging hours into that. If it's popular enough I could see 1v1 being it's own esport thing, but I feel that's a long shot.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Is any game we have heard of that 5,000 people here have heard of too cannot in good conscience be say to be, "flying under the radar?"

For instance a game like Old Time Hockey is a game flying under the radar, where as For Honor is a huge 9,000 foot blimp making a fist sized blip on the screen everyone can see.

Fisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've got two I can think of off the top of my head. One is Birthdays the Beginning, a kind of Viva Pinata type game made by the creator of Harvest Moon.

The other is SpiritSphere which looks like a blending of Zelda and Pong.

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Night in the Woods "under the radar"? Because I'm super fucking interested in Night in the Woods.

Loading Video...

flagranterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By flagranterror

Not sure if Yooka-Laylee is in too much danger of flying under the RADAR but I've been super psyched about it since the Kickstarter went live.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of stuff that's falling under the radar, Routine is finally coming out.

Loading Video...

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@rickrockmann: Night In The Woods looks so fucking rad...just dripping with styyyyyyyyyle

flagranterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared: Oh shit, I'd just about given up hope for Routine. Good on them for sticking with the project, it still looks awesome.